• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MediaMocule's Dreams - Why isn't this everyone's #1 most wanted?

Elenchus

Banned
Um...because the basic idea here is I pay you to make a game for me. Me paying you to let me make a game for myself strikes me as far less appealing for some reason. Can’t seem to put my finger on why though....

Last edited:

TFGB

I love what Media Molecule do. They’re talented, unique and extremely passionate about their products. But this has been in production for years now and I hope for their sake that the company, at the very least, breaks even.

Dreams looks to be a nirvana for artists and bedroom game designers, so I wish them luck.

The older I get, the complete lack of creativity I possess. This is a game for young people with imagination and lots of time to learn and produce.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Um...because the basic idea here is I pay you to make a game for me. Me paying you to let me make a game for myself strikes me as far less appealing for some reason. Can’t seem to put my finger why though....

Yup, pretty much everything I dislike about contemporary gaming wrapped into one smelly package:

* Ugly, lazy art
* Zero gameplay ideas of their own
* "You can use your imagination to fill in the gaps in our non-game" -- this didn't fool me with No Man's Sky, and it's not fooling me now.
* Completely unpolished (shit animations, loose looking control, bad feedback, bad/missing audio queues)

This impressed someone? Okay...

Dunki

Yup, pretty much everything I dislike about contemporary gaming wrapped into one smelly package:

* Ugly, lazy art
* "You can use your imagination to fill in the gaps in our non-game" -- this didn't fool me with No Man's Sky, and it's not fooling me now.
* Completely unpolished (shit animations, loose looking control, bad feedback, bad/missing audio queues)

If we go by Little Big Planet This was hardly the case. The desgins were fantastic and there were also nice ideas in there. It could have been a perfect platformer if it were not for the floaty controls.

Here they also give you a story and tons and tons of tutorials. And everything you have seen so far has been done by Media Molecule as well.

Also how the fuck is this unpolished? It seems you just want to hate something for no real reason since everything you mentioned is not even true.

Whitecrow

Banned
Dreams is just being made so the devs can have some high dopamine injection after creating something so amazingly complex.

But they are not giving you anything to play. They are giving you a tool to design your way to play.
Thats what MM likes to do.

They started with LBP, wich it was still a game. But Dreams seems to be forgetting this aspect entirely.

Psykodad

Banned
Dreams is just being made so the devs can have some high dopamine injection after creating something so amazingly complex.

But they are not giving you anything to play. They are giving you a tool to design your way to play.

They started with LBP, wich it was still a game. But Dreams seems to be forgetting this aspect entirely.
What's wrong with that?

I wasn't too big on LBP but I respected lots of creators who came up with amazing creations given the limitations of LBP.

Now, we'll basically get full freedom to create whatever we want amd I can't wait to see what people come up with.
I'm confident that with time, doubters will be amazed.

If only they would start their beta already. Still waiting...

KiteGr

Um...because the basic idea here is I pay you to make a game for me. Me paying you to let me make a game for myself strikes me as far less appealing for some reason. Can’t seem to put my finger why though....

* Ugly, lazy art

You people do know that both LBP and Dreams Does have a ton of brilliantly designed single player content, right?

As for the user's creativity, I rarely designed anything myself, and I also rarely checked content from randoms. I mostly checked high-rated conted from other players, and let me tell you, I often find some amazing gems there.

My biggest worry about Dreams, is what kind of Dlc are they going to shove down our throats and that dream-misty filter they use being non-removable.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Regardless of the game's quality, once again i admire Sony's open mindness to greenlight a project like this even though i'm sure they know that the chances are they will not get the profits they would wish for it.I don't think MS or Nintendo would have greenlighted a game like Dreams. The sheer variety of exclusive games in Sony's portfolio this gen's is out of this world.

Personally although i like the idea behind it i really don't have the time to sit and try to create something of my own which is the biggest appeal of this game. However it would be interesting to see what other people will create ,since i think the possibilities with the tools they will give would be insane.

I just hope that if the game bombs (which i think is very likely) MM would survive the hit.

Last edited:

Dunki

No they do not. There is still a single player game in there just like here was one for LBP

alienator

This Dreams game seems like a complete a nightmare for people without creativity, imagination & fantasy.

(and im not, im a sculpter, pixelartist , designer and and tone-def musician , so im looking forward making content with this! :) )

Last edited:
Dreams PSVR Support Day 1 confirmed
Dreams PSVR level building confirmed, its said in the video the level has to be completed and tested before being published first to make sure people arent getting sick playing your PSVR creation and the level is not impossible.

Source

I'm SET! take however long you need to finish this Media Molecule.

Last edited:
Top Bottom