• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MediEvil Remastered coming to PS4 - Sir Dan returns

Zurick

Banned
Announced at PSX. Remastered experience for Sir Dan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSoZKDDOdv4

ET5qnco.jpg

EBE

Was the original any good? I was always intrigued by the box art as a kid but never rented it or anything. Wondering if this is a case of misplaced nostalgia

Paracelsus

Was the original any good? I was always intrigued by the box art as a kid but never rented it or anything. Wondering if this is a case of misplaced nostalgia

It's a hack and slash, nice to play but nothing groundbreaking. It's the atmosphere and the soundtrack that sets it apart, something that was never matched by the sequels and DEmake.

Speaking of which, I really hope it's not the upscaled PSP version because otherwise yuck.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Right in my childhood. Though, I remember when I got it for free some years ago with PsPlus, game didn't really play well after getting used to newer game mechanisms.

Senua

Wow awesome, not sure how well the game hold up but it was one of my favourites as a nipper.

JP

I'm really happy to be seeing this, thanks OP.

Really was a fan of the games although I would still probably say that it wouldn't have been my first choice in where to go with PS1 remasters with CTR and Spyro still out there.

Having said that, with the format of PSX being very different this year and with so many new things shown after the show last year, we may still get some good news on that front...possibly, maybe.

Woodchipper

No fucking way.. Holy shit! I played the crap out of the demo that came with my PS1 when I was a kid. Never got to play the full game so this is incredible for me!

Kid Ying

Is It going to be like patapon, parappa and stuff like that or is going to be a full remake? I loved medievil back then, so i Will get It anyway...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It was always a game that caught my attention at Babbages and in game magazines. I'm surprised they're bringing it back, but that's a good thing.

I bought the PSOne classic on PSN a while back.

Here is the link : https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUI94227_00-COMBINED00000001

Edit: it was there, but I missed it

The game is alright. I remember I didn't feel anything great playing it, but maybe I wasn't feeling nostalgic enough. I'm going to try going back and playing it again.

Mockduck

Neo Member
When the game first came out, it definitely stood out from the crowd for having a unique personality, story, and music. At the time, the graphics were quite good. That said, I tried playing both Medieval 1 and 2 a few years back, and it very much didn't hold up well.

The old PS1 graphics just don't age well, and gameplay was really clunky, and some of the puzzle solving, level design, and combat was just sort of bad.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the series, but a straight upscale of the OG games really isn't very exciting. They have a great character, though, and I'd love to see a modern 3D platforming game, perhaps a bit similar to Ratchet and Clank.

igory

Neo Member
the best anouncement from the show, if you ask me.

i was hoping for MediEvil 3. but i'd take a 4k remaster with pleasure :-D

bronk

Banned
I've never played this game but have always wanted to. This is great news. I'll be picking it up for sure.

VulcanRaven

I'm really excited about this. I played the first 2 games a lot on PS1. I just hope that they get the art style right. Sir Dan needs to look like he does in the original game and not like he does Playstation All-Star Battle Royale. I didn't like that design.

This UE4 fan made video looks great:

Last edited:

DonF

I remember playing the hell out of the demo that came with my the Playstation, but never getting the full game. If the price is right I might get it.

Ka-Kui

I'm really looking forward to this. I've played the demo of this a few times back in the days but I was really young and assumed it must be a horror game so was too afraid to continue playing. But I always loved the charm to it, finally I'll get to play this for real.

Velius

Banned
I have mixed feelings about this.

My concern can be articulated in the excavation of two prongs.

The first is that much, MUCH of the charm of MediEvil was in its design, and I don't know if that will be preserved.

MediEvil conducted a wonderful operation of metagaming in embracing its own goofiness and the limits of the Playstation hardware.
MediEvil1.jpg
timthumb.php

It was a stylistic choice driven by necessity, but it was also deliberate, and since characters and gameplay all found orbit around this framework the game works splendidly and feels cohesive in its vision.

With Resurrection there is a clear dismantling of this quilt. Upgraded graphics are not a bad thing but a divorce of the stylistic choices from the gameplay provides some problems.

I think this is one of the things that trips up so many remakes-- games were created in a certain era with both choices and limitations pertinent to that era. When you have the expanded technological input and just shove that into an old game it feels... weird. I'm not saying that older games are shallower or less substantial than newer ones. Not at all. But there's a mismatch. Like if I copied someone else's speech and tried to recite it as if it were my own. It might be really good but there would seem to be something off about it.

I'm guessing that this remaster will be a remarkable graphical departure from either the PS1 or PSP title, which is a good thing obviously since we are 20 years removed from the original. But I'm also hoping that along with that change in tech we will also see a complete re-imagining of Gallowmere's gameplay, even if it is thematically a remake.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else. But it's a concern I find erupting within myself whenever I see something like this.

I am still quite annoyed that Sony said more information coming soon and we still don't have anything. It's been two months since PSX and I am so excited for this title. I just want some clarification as to what is actually on offer.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else. But it's a concern I find erupting within myself whenever I see something like this.

This is my concern with the FF7 remake, i can't see it having the same 'feel' as the original and the atmosphere/art style etc all add up to a big part of this.

The limitations you mentions are a prime example of those PS1 era Final Fantasy games, no spoken dialogue, no voice actors - even the in game character models and animations were basic at best. This led you to fill in the gaps with some imagination almost like a book and i guess the experience becomes more personal because of this. Then i'm watching Advent children many years later and the characters are fully fleshed out, voiced and visualized in great detail - some of that charm is lost and it's no ones fault, it's just how it is.

I'm sure both games will turn out great regardless, and i genuinely hope they're both games i see and want to buy.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This game seems to be turning into Sony's Crackdown 3.
Losing interest by now, to be honest.

Crackdown 3 has been less delayed than The Last Guardian though, right? Which everyone only talked about for like two months after release :p

KiteGr

I remember that back when I was little I was blown away with this game's atmosphere, but I couldn't finish it through fair means for two reasons.

1. Playing this game you should NEVER underestimate the Chalice in each stage, as it's the only real way to upgrade your gear.
  2. The game's design is weird! An early stage have a duplicate where you play it in reverse, just to use mid-way some recently acquired key item to unlock a new path, giving you the impression that all stages are completable as long as you can enter. Then later you meat a stage with an extra true exit, that you can't reach without some macguffin from somewhere ales, and a boss stage that is meaningless if you don't have a certain key item from another stage and remember to use it after the boss to speak to the NPC there.

Medievil 2 I couldn't beat for another reason!
  1. IT WAS WAY TO HARD! Unlike the first game where you could always grind the early stages for health, in M2 all depleted healing streams stay that way, so replaying a stage for a chalice would only deplete step by step your resources. Also I can't find it on the PSN so I can't replay it as a grown up through legal means.
The PSP "remake" was trash. It lacked the atmosphere, the best stages, the creepy Cinematics and pretty much everything that made the original memorable, but the soundtrack.
It makes me sad to think that it was made by the same team...

Last edited:

NahaNago

Considering that the announcement trailer had like 2 seconds of awful possible gameplay visuals I don't really see this game coming out until at least 2020.

Elios83

This game seems to be turning into Sony's Crackdown 3.
Losing interest by now, to be honest.

LOL it will be a remaster like Crash and Spyro, we'll probably see more (among with a release date) at Paris Games Week in late October.
It was announced less than a year ago, I really don't see how this is comparable to Crackdown 3 which has been delayed for years and had different disappointing showcases.

Top Bottom