• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the top 10 new species of 2010 (Gallery thread: Warning, there is a spider)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

The winners are in: the top new species of 2010, as selected by the International Institute for Species Exploration at Arizona State University in Phoenix. From glow-in-the-dark mushrooms and steel-eating bacteria to giant leeches and bizarre pancake fish, New Scientist takes a look at the ones that made the cut.

00482e6ba62.jpg

Spinning the world's largest webs

The webs of the Darwin's bark spider (Caerostris darwini) could catch a lot more than a solitary fly – they have been found spanning rivers, streams and lakes. Up to 2.8 square metres in area, they are the largest known orb-style webs of any species. The silk that makes them up is remarkably strong: more than 10 times stronger than a similarly sized piece of Kevlar, it is reportedly the toughest biological material ever studied.

(Image: Matjaž Kuntner (Scientific Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts)

00482baeff9.jpg

Glow-in-the-dark mushroom

Collected on some of the last remaining Atlantic forest habitat near Sao Paulo, Brazil, the eternal light mushroom (Mycena luxaeterna) glows 24 hours a day. The tiny gel-coated mushrooms emit a bright yellow-green light, and bring the total number of known bioluminescent fungi to 71 out of an estimated 1.5 million species.

DNA sequencing of the species is helping researchers understand the origin and evolution of luminescence in fungi.

(Image: Cassius V. Stevani/Instituto de Química/Univ. de São Paulo, Brazil)

00482c0ac73.jpg

Steel-eating bacteria

An unexpected treasure to find on a shipwreck, these iron-oxide-eating bacteria were discovered on a rusticle collected from the sunken wreck of the Titanic. Named after the ship, Halomonas titanicae sticks to steel surfaces to form knob-like mounds of corrosion products that have, with the help of other micro-organisms, contributed to the deterioration of the ship's metal.

Eventually, the deterioration will lead to Titanic's disappearance. Researchers believe the bacterium could prove useful in disposing of other wrecked naval and merchant ships lying on the ocean floor.

(Image: RMS Titanic Inc.)

0048298942e.jpg

Hidden giant

At 2 metres in length, it seems astonishing that the golden spotted monitor lizard (Varanus bitatawa) has eluded biologists for so long. Found only in the Northern Sierra Madre Forest, Luzon Island, in the Philippines, the brightly coloured lizard spends most of its time in trees – believed to be the reason why it hadn't been found by biologists before.

(Image: A. C. Diesmos/National Museum of the Philippines)

00482b0b9c8.jpg

Pollinating cricket

Glomeremus orchidophilus, discovered on the island of Réunion, belongs to a subfamily of crickets that make a raspy sound. However, this particular species distinguishes itself from its cousins: it is the sole pollinator of the rare orchid Angraecum cadetii.

(Image: Sylvain Hugel/Université de Strasbourg, France)

0048263b3f7.jpg

Market find

This new species of duiker (Philantomba walteri) first turned up at a bushmeat market in west Africa. Its appearance is a reminder of the species that remain to be described, even within groups of animals that are regularly exploited for food or rituals.

(Image: Yann Le Bris)

00482b4eeea.jpg

King leech

At 5 centimetres long, it's easy to see how the Tyrannobdella rex (which translates as "tyrant leech king") got its name. The leech is the only known species with a single jaw and large teeth, and was discovered feeding on the nasal mucous membrane of a child in Peru.

There are currently 600 to 700 species of leeches described, but more surprises could be to come – there could be as many as 10,000 more species throughout the world.

(IMage: PLoS ONE)

004829f0fbb.jpg

Underwater fruit

In the clear, cold waters of the upper Rogue river in Oregon lives an odd type of underwater life. The gilled mushroom (Psathyrella aquatica) was observed over 11 weeks and is the first report of a mushroom fruiting underwater.

(Image: Robert Coffan/Southern Oregon University, USA)

00482949da8.jpg

Jumping cockroach

Previously thought to have lived only in the Late Jurassic, the jumping cockroach made a reappearance in South Africa last year. The "leaproach" (Saltoblattella montistabularis) has an unusual anatomy: its legs are highly modified compared with other cockroaches, and its antennae have an additional fixation point to help improve the insect's stabilisation while jumping.

Thanks to all the modifications, the leaproach can jump about as well as a grasshopper.

(Image: Mike Picker/University of Cape Town, South Africa)

0048298c8e2.jpg

Pancake fish

This bizarre-looking species was discovered just before the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The Louisiana pancake batfish (Halieutichthys intermedius) lives on the bottom of the ocean and uses its thick spiky fins to hop.

Its existence is precarious as its entire known habitat has been affected by the oil spill.

(Image: Prosanta Chakrabarty/Louisiana State University, USA)

Story Here

At 5 centimetres long, it's easy to see how the Tyrannobdella rex (which translates as "tyrant leech king") got its name. The leech is the only known species with a single jaw and large teeth, and was discovered feeding on the nasal mucous membrane of a child in Peru.

What the fuck

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The leech is the only known species with a single jaw and large teeth, and was discovered feeding on the nasal mucous membrane of a child in Peru.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

gerg

Who cares about that spider? The jumping cockroach is easily the worst.

Edit: Oh, and I guess the leech is pretty horrible too.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Steel Eating Bacteria = holy shit.
Pancake Fish = balla as hell.

Replicant

Except for the Duiker/deer-like creature, I want to nuke all of those new creatures from the orbit.

Just to be on the safe side.

FairyD

They should have immediately destroyed that new roach. There are some creatures in life that are just too horrible to exist.

Juanadams

Banned
Those mushrooms are some of the coolest things i've seen on this planet. I didn't even know there were mushrooms that naturally glowed like that, reminds me of avatar.

800px-PanellusStipticusAug12_2009.jpg

800px-PanellusStipticusAug12_2009_Animated.gif

Shick Brithouse said:
If a 6 foot long lizard can remain undiscovered, why not Bigfoot?

I just started questioning bigfoot again because of this argument, the Bili Ape was discovered in 2006. It's a 300 lb ape we just confirmed exists.

zbili.jpg

Gaborn

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
I just started questioning bigfoot again because of this argument, the Bili Ape was discovered in 2006. It's a 300 lb ape we just confirmed exists.

zbili.jpg

It's at least CONCEIVABLE in some remote area. Not likely in the US though, humans have been too all over and have seen too much of the country for something that large to escape notice AND to not leave significant traces.

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:

zbili.jpg

well the thing about that ape is that it can be confused for a chimpanzee sort of like that monitor lizard doesn't really look all that different from a regular monitor lizard.

Juanadams said:
Those mushrooms are some of the coolest things i've seen on this planet. I didn't even know there were mushrooms that naturally glowed like that, reminds me of avatar.

I've heard about those things before. They recharge your batteries if you eat them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Juanadams said:
Once I build my garden of these and paint myself blue, my Avatar paradise will be complete.

Oh yeah, I'd need that blue Fleshlight, too.

I love nature.

The pollinating cricket is so cool. The pancake fish looks ugly and cute at the same time. Shame about the oil spill affecting its habitat.

Just imagine, there's so many different species on this earth humans have yet to discover. Can't wait to find out what lurks at the very bottom of the ocean.

Dead

well not really...yet
Its bad enough that theres a leaping cockroach, but its back from the fucking JURASSIC???!?

Juanadams said:
A lot of the bioluminescent stuff in Avatar is influenced by stuff Cameron has seen in his underwater dives, but yeah seeing stuff like that on the surface is pretty amazing.

Gaborn

7echnicolor said:
I love nature.

The pollinating cricket is so cool. The pancake fish looks ugly and cute at the same time. Shame about the oil spill affecting its habitat.

Just imagine, there's so many different species on this earth humans have yet to discover. Can't wait to find out what lurks at the very bottom of the ocean.

That's why I love doing these threads, new species are always fascinating to me.

JGS

Banned
Hidden giant

At 2 metres in length, it seems astonishing that the golden spotted monitor lizard (Varanus bitatawa) has eluded biologists for so long. Found only in the Northern Sierra Madre Forest, Luzon Island, in the Philippines, the brightly coloured lizard spends most of its time in trees – believed to be the reason why it hadn't been found by biologists before.
I imagine looking up and "discovering" that.

I would also discover I had soiled underwear.

The last thing this world needs is a cockroach with the ability to jump. Also, stuff like the pancake fish is the reason why I live in a land locked state.

marrec

Banned
lightless_shado said:

What the fuck

*crosses Peru off his Globe*

Fuck that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom