• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the top 10 new species of 2010 (Gallery thread: Warning, there is a spider)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiro4

Gaborn said:
yx7dt.jpg
Looks like Jar Jar Binks

h_a_t

gerg said:
Who cares about that spider? The jumping cockroach is easily the worst.

Edit: Oh, and I guess the leech is pretty horrible too.

What?!

The webs of the Darwin's bark spider (Caerostris darwini) could catch a lot more than a solitary fly – they have been found spanning rivers, streams and lakes. Up to 2.8 square metres in area, they are the largest known orb-style webs of any species. The silk that makes them up is remarkably strong: more than 10 times stronger than a similarly sized piece of Kevlar, it is reportedly the toughest biological material ever studied.

I still hate the "immortal" cockroach in all its forms, but that spider isn't anything to overlook.

Drewsky

It's absolutely amazing to me that there are so many species in the world that we hadn't found these yet. I was expecting all funguses and stuff, but what I got is the biggest leech and a new monitor lizard. Fascinating.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That spider is kind of cuddly in a gross-bug kinda way

Shadow780 said:
Fucking jumping cockroach?! Flying roaches are bad enough, fuck you roach. KILLITWITHFIRE

I fully agree, but you have to wonder why we hate roaches and insects so much. A cockroach is totally harmless, yet if you see one you totally freak out.

If you look at a lion, tiger or bear you find them cute even though they can tear you apart. Even if you were face to face with them you'd be scared shitless perhaps, but not freaked out like if you see a roach crawling on you leg.

You have to wonder why that is. What the hell did the cockroach do to our ancestors to gain such hatred from us?

Gaborn

crazygambit said:
I fully agree, but you have to wonder why we hate roaches and insects so much. A cockroach is totally harmless, yet if you see one you totally freak out.

If you look at a lion, tiger or bear you find them cute even though they can tear you apart. Even if you were face to face with them you'd be scared shitless perhaps, but not freaked out like if you see a roach crawling on you leg.

You have to wonder why that is. What the hell did the cockroach do to our ancestors to gain such hatred from us?

Well yes, because they'd be in an enclosure or you'd be dead.

crazygambit said:

Lions, tigers, and bears (oh my!) have the decency to just kill you. Cockroaches can climb in your ear and shit. D:

Shick Brithouse said:
If a 6 foot long lizard can remain undiscovered, why not Bigfoot?
There are currently no apes anywhere in America, and there is no fossil record that there ever was.
If a thing similar to bigfoot existed, it'd live in Africa or Asia (yeti?)

Big leech eating snot membranes from someone's nose and we're warned about spiders.

Also, nice more Lovecraftian sea creatures. Pancake fish makes me even dislike pancakes more. Kind of cool looking, in a gross kind of way.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
DAMN NATURE, You scary!

I want to see pictures of that Spider's web

EDIT:

There was one in the link

FUuuuuuuuuuuuck. Stronger than Kevlar?

Caerostris_0.jpg

Wonder if there is a way to harvest that web with out dieing.

Those glowing mushrooms are so cool. I'd love to get a bunch and keep them in an aquarium in my room. The underwater ones are awesome as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom