• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 4 - Mega Blasting Action

RK128

Mega_Man_4_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Hello everyone! My week break is being cut short with Mega Man 4 starting my return to the Mega Man Retrospective! Hope you enjoy my look at this okay sequel.

History:
This game started development not long after Mega Man 3 released and Capcom wanted to pump out as much Mega Man games as they can to the market, as it became a killer and flagship IP after the release of Mega Man 2.

Other important information on the games development stems from its entree on the games Wikipedia Page:

"Mega Man series artist Keiji Inafune, credited as "Inafking", stated that the development team had very few problems while working on Mega Man 4. Inafune designed Dr. Cossack and Kalinka as two new storyline characters for the game. Cossack, who was originally named "Dr. Vice", was made much younger than Dr. Light and Dr. Wily. Inafune also considered giving him American traits, but decided upon influences from Russia instead. Kalinka was created because so many male characters already existed in the series at this point. However, Inafune did not intend for players to compare her to Mega Man's sister Roll. The idea for Eddie originally came about during the development of Mega Man 2. Eddie was designed as a supporting character that "would behave like a lottery", either pleasantly surprising or disappointing the player with the item he gives Mega Man.

Mega Man 4 was the first game in the series for Hayato Kaji, credited as "K. Hayato", a prominent designer for many later Mega Man games. Kaji was responsible for the chargeable Mega Buster, a gameplay mechanic that would become a staple of the series. "We knew adding a two-level or three-level charge would change the whole flavor of the game in some respects, and we were very mindful of that," Inafune explained. The Robot Masters in Mega Man 4 are a result of a design contest for fans held in Japan. With over 70,000 character submissions, the development team spent an extended period of time narrowing them down to only eight bosses. According to Kaji, the team was very satisfied with many of the chosen designs and almost no changes were made to their original illustrations. They were so impressed with Skull Man that they scrapped an entire level being created just so they could restart it and devote it to that Robot Master. The winning eight contestants of the design contest were each issued a special "golden cartridge" edition of Mega Man 4. As there are only eight of these cartridges in existence, they are extremely rare and fetch a large collector's price today. The musical score for Mega Man 4 was composed by Minae Fujii, credited as "Ojalin", while the sound programming and sound effects were handled by Yasuaki Fujita, credited as "Bun Bun", who had composed the soundtrack for Mega Man 3 the previous year."

This history is interesting, as it was nice seeing a new developer Hayato Kaji, give some new gameplay mechanics to Mega Man and the concept of fans pitching Robot Master concepts is something that continued in later Mega Man Classic titles. Mega Man 4 released in December 6, 1991 to strong critical reviews and development on Mega Man 5 soon followed.

Gameplay & Level Design:
The gameplay is strong, mirroring Mega Man 3 on many levels. The slide returns, as does the core Rush features. But the new addition is the Charged shot, which allows you to fire two types of blasts (small charge and full charge); that is very helpful for the robot master fights. The game appears to be very hard, which was the case for me making this Retrospective, but its in the end, one of the easier Mega Man games.

83399-mega-man-4-nes-screenshot-pharaoh-man-s-stage.png

Mega Man 4 has a lot of spikes placed in its level design and that could appear to be lazy, but thanks to creative gimmicks like the grasshopers in Bright Man's stage or moving platforms, they can become a fun challenge to overcome. Items you get like the hook shot and balloon also make these annoying parts more manageable.

latest

I mean that, as Toad Man is a good example of this. His fight has a simple pattern and is a great first robot master to fight.....but his stage is initially quite hard. You fight two snail-like robots at points in the stage and it can be annoying. You have to dodge bombs that have a wide blast radius and his eye attack can be annoying. Not to mention the second fight where you have a waterfall in-between a platform that gimps your jump if you are under it. But once you get the pattern, it feels so rewarding to get through it with enough practice.

latest

The level design has some great points, like Pharaoh Man's quick sand being a great stage gimmick and Bright Man's moving grasshoppers being a great platforming gimmick. Others stages like Dive Man's water moon jumping and Ring Man's rainbow platforms also present fun challenges to over come too.

Lastly for gameplay, we have two towers to run through. Yes, not one but TWO towers to fight through and this is a first for the series. You fight three-four stages against Cosec but after Protoman saves his daughter, he stops fighting Mega Man and we head to a few Wily Stages. This was a great reward and felt like an improvement over the Doc Robot stages in Mega Man 3; it IS padding to make the game longer, but done in a better fashion. This continued in Mega Man 5-6 as well.

966951-mega_man_4__u___b4__4.jpg

Will comment on other gameplay mechanics though. You have new Items (like in Mega Man 2) such as the hook shot that can pull Mega Man up on walls above him and a balloon platform that can be stacked. These make some platforming elements more easier to deal with (large pit in Bright Man's stage......really needed this item for me). Rush returns with Rush Jet, Underwater Craft and Rush Coil too.

Not to mention Mega Man's new power; the charged buster. This is a very powerful tool that can be used even when you get hit. Once you charge it enough, it can take out powerful foes with less shots and make some robot masters very fun to fight.

The new robot master items you get are fun to play around with too. Like Ring Man's weapon a lot and the rain storm power you get is a great screen nuke.

latest

latest

latest

Presentation:
Game looks great like past Mega Man games with bright colors and very detailed stages. Toad Man's rain and Pharaoh Man's stars shining in the sky really stand out to me.

gfs_29033_2_3.jpg

Musically, its a great soundtrack like the other Classic Mega Man games and I like it quite a bit.

Bright Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OJ-uYd-F-8&list=PL4D2790D9626692B4&index=7
Toad Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zncV6Vado9g&list=PL4D2790D9626692B4&index=8
Pharaoh Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T11JGxCxFPY&list=PL4D2790D9626692B4&index=10
Ring Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtZUl2IpgQU&list=PL4D2790D9626692B4&index=11
Skull Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy-2JyPyQDg&list=PL4D2790D9626692B4&index=14

Overall:
I enjoyed my time with this game when I went back to play it again; it has fun gameplay, offers rewarding challenge and overall, does a lot right. But please, play this on a NES, Wii (VC), Wii U (VC), or Nintendo 3DS (Legacy Collection/VC). The original version I played for the initial Retrospective? The Complete Works PS1 version on my Vita. That version reportedly has bad input lag, leading to all the frustrations I had with my initial playthrough for this Retrospective.

In the end, many love the game and it is a quality Mega Man title.

latest

Next up for the classic series is Mega Man 5 & 6 and I can't wait to go into those games, as I never played them before!

RK128

I'm sorry if my comments on this game are too negative, but I honestly didn't enjoy this on the level I did Mega Man 2 and 3. I did get through Mega Man 5 and 6 though and really, really like those games :D.

Looking forward to the retrospective on those in the distant future :).

Laws00

Mega Man 4 was the first orginal Mega Man I ever played. Its funny because I could breeze through ease on Mega Man X but this game was something else to me.

More then 11 or so years later I revisited it and actually beat my first boss (Dust Man). lol

alf717

Mega Man 4 was always the odd ball for me. Even to this day when I play it I really don't feel the Mega Man ness until I get to Cossack Stage 2. Its odd but maybe the music doesn't do it for me or something. But man is that Cossack Stage 2 music the best. Never was a fan of the slowed down energy refills or how the RM's take forever to fill up themselves.

RK128

Mega Man 4 was the first orginal Mega Man I ever played. Its funny because I could breeze through ease on Mega Man X but this game was something else to me.

More then 11 or so years later I revisited it and actually beat my first boss (Dust Man). lol

Must have been a hard spot to start; this game is not beginner friendly honestly :(. MMX I can play with little issue but this....had a lot of problems playing it for this Retrospective.

Recycling. That's how I'd first describe 4. Skull Shield is Wood Shield with a slight difference, for starters. The robot master designs were still on point, though. The Cossack levels are just a complete blur for me, I did beat the game waaaayyyy back when, but absolutely nothing stood out for me.

4 has one of the series best Robot Master boss themes, so that's something good going for it. Dust Man, Dive Man, and Toad Man are the only stage themes I can remember without having to look them up.

I love the charge shot and I'm glad this game introduced it.

My only (minor) issue with this game is how long it takes for the boss energy meters to fill up, almost 4 seconds of loud beeping lol. Bit annoying in the boss refights. And the boss designs are kinda lame too except for Skull Man. Other than that, solid entry in the series.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
MM4 is not as good as the game that came before it in many ways. Hell it's not as good as the games that came after it. I prefer both MM5 and MM6 to it. And a lot of it has to do with the difficulty yeah. MM4 has weird spikes that are just RNG bullshit. Bright Man's stage is the worst example of that. It's my least favorite RM stage of the 8-bit style. But there are amazing stages like Dive Man, Pharaoh Man, Toad Man, Ring Man and Dust Man in there. People always say how harder MM2 was compared to the later games. I never got it. MM2 is easy as piss. MM4 and onwards are pretty brutal at times. It's still an incredible platformer and action game overall. It's the Dark Souls II of Mega Man games IMO. Incredible amount of levels, weapons, with some beautiful music pieces and kickass bosses. Love the Cossack stages! But it's slightly lesser in a way. Just slightly.

Now Mega Man 5 and 6 are goddamn masterful. Pure joy. Can't wait for the retrospectives on these.

I just replayed this on the Mega Man Legacy Collection on 3DS and enjoyed it a lot. I also find it not too hard to play through, probably even easier than 5. I have some more experience with it though, so maybe that's why. I didn't know the Robot Masters were all created by fans; that's really interesting. I know MM6 has two created by fans (I think it's Knight and Wind Man). I find the ring-covered eyes to be the toughest mini-boss because the window to hit them is so small.

RK128

MM4 is not as good as the game that came before it in many ways. Hell it's not as good as the games that came after it. I prefer both MM5 and MM6 to it. And a lot of it has to do with the difficulty yeah. MM4 has weird spikes that are just RNG bullshit. Bright Man's stage is the worst example of that. It's my least favorite RM stage of the 8-bit style. But there are amazing stages like Dive Man, Pharaoh Man, Toad Man, Ring Man and Dust Man in there. People always say how harder MM2 was compared to the later games. I never got it. MM2 is easy as piss. MM4 and onwards are pretty brutal at times. It's still an incredible platformer and action game overall. It's the Dark Souls II of Mega Man games IMO. Incredible amount of levels, weapons, with some beautiful music pieces and kickass bosses. Love the Cossack stages! But it's slightly lesser in a way. Just slightly.

Now Mega Man 5 and 6 are goddamn masterful. Pure joy. Can't wait for the retrospectives on these.

Really looking forward to covering those, as I really loved my time playing them :).

But with spikes everywhere, the game becomes such a challenge, that I just couldn't get through it all. I didn't get to the Wily Tower at all here, so will not comment on that for this Retrospective.

So you beat all the other classic NES games except MM4? I don't really think it's any harder than the others... Could there be some kind of a problem with your method of playing?

Swordian

Must have been a hard spot to start; this game is not beginner friendly honestly :(. MMX I can play with little issue but this....had a lot of problems playing it for this Retrospective.

If you're dying from damage, not pits/spikes, just farm e-tanks in Skull Man's stage.

RK128

So you beat all the other classic NES games except MM4? I don't really think it's any harder than the others... Could there be some kind of a problem with your method of playing?

I don't know; had no problem playing MM1-3 on my Vita and 5-6 on my 3DS......I suppose, the PS1 Emulation on my Vita didn't work right for MM4 or I just got very frustrated with the title :(.

I do have bad frustration problems and I thought I grew out of it with age. Suppose that it can come back with something pisses me off enough.

If you're dying from damage, not pits/spikes, just farm e-tanks in Skull Man's stage.

Might consider going back to the game in the future and update with Retrospective with more positive impressions using that advice. But I have ALOT of games to cover for every series of Mega Man and need to move on to the next series games. Thank you for the advice though :).

I don't know; had no problem playing MM1-3 on my Vita and 5-6 on my 3DS......I suppose, the PS1 Emulation on my Vita didn't work right for MM4 or I just got very frustrated with the title :(.

I do have bad frustration problems and I thought I grew out of it with age. Suppose that it can come back with something pisses me off enough.

Might consider going back to the game in the future and update with Retrospective with more positive impressions using that advice. But I have ALOT of games to cover for every series of Mega Man and need to move on to the next series games. Thank you for the advice though :).

Yeah, it could be your emulation. I have these games on 3ds with both virtual console and the legacy collection, both of which work well. If you ever want to replay this or the others, I recommend it.

RK128

Yeah, it could be your emulation. I have these games on 3ds with both virtual console and the legacy collection, both of which work well. If you ever want to replay this or the others, I recommend it.

Will get the 3DS versions the NES games via E-Shop or Legacy Collection in the future. Thank you for the advice :).

I played the game last year and still haven't found out if it's possible to kill the final boss without the Pharaoh shot. (did anyone here do it?)

No, it's not possible. It's the only thing that hurts Wily. You can however kill Wily Machine with charged buster shots but it's kind of hard to hit its second form.

Lothar

Banned
I don't know how can you do a retrospective if you didn't get to the main event of the Mega Man games - the Wily stages. The Fortress stages usually have the best music and feel the best designed, and MM4 is no exception in that. I really don't think it's any harder than MM1-3. Quick Man is harder than any stage in MM4. All the Wily stages in MM1 are tougher. Ice Man is brutal. I remember having more problems with Snake Man than Toad Man's stage.

I love MM4. It's the last great MM for me until MM8. A lot of the weapons are pretty good and fun. Ring, Dust, Drill, Skull, and Toad when you want to clear the screen. The music is excellent, some of the best on NES. The robot monsters are huge. The stages are unique, cool, and memorable. Fortresses are always the best part of MM and this game has two of them.

RK128

I don't know how can you do a retrospective if you didn't get to the main event of the Mega Man games - the Wily stages. The Fortress stages usually have the best music and feel the best designed, and MM4 is no exception in that. I really don't think it's any harder than MM1-3. Quick Man is harder than any stage in MM4. All the Wily stages in MM1 are tougher. Ice Man is brutal. I remember having more problems with Snake Man than Toad Man's stage.

I love MM4. It's the last great MM for me until MM8. A lot of the weapons are pretty good and fun. Ring, Dust, Drill, Skull, and Toad when you want to clear the screen. The music is excellent, some of the best on NES. The robot monsters are huge. The stages are unique, cool, and memorable. Fortresses are always the best part of MM and this game has two of them.

It was for me and again, sorry if I didn't cover it and like the Mega Man 2 & 3 Retrospective, will edit the OP with more information in the future (covering the Wily Stages). Just had a tough time playing the game and wanted to get the Retrospective over with honestly.

RK128

Hello,

I had a rough time with this game but that won't stop me from not covering the Wily Castle Stages in the future. While not right away, will update the OP sometime next week with indepth thoughts about the Wily Castle levels.

Mega Man 4 is my favorite Classic game. You had the slide and charge shot which expanded your movement and offensive options, while the bosses were fast enough and most had a decent variety in their attacks to make fights more fast paced.

It is interesting to me that a main criticism of yours was the amount of spikes and pits because that's the main reason I didn't like Mega Man 10. I suppose I didn't notice them or be bothered by them in 4 because they were almost always grouped with a thematic platform while 10's were on walls, ceilings, and literally every stage on top of instant death traps / "gotcha" enemy placements.

I do remember to this day how much I hated those Hippos in Ring Man's stage, the crushers in Dust Man's, and those switches in Drill Man's.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
4 is up there with 2 for me, although i realize im in the minority. great boss weapons and charge shot.

Blackage

4 was the first Megaman that came out after the Super Nintendo dropped. I was addicted to Super Mario World and had all but made the full transiiton to SNES games only at that point >_<

I didn't play Megaman 4-6 until years later.

Lothar

Banned
It was for me and again, sorry if I didn't cover it and like the Mega Man 2 & 3 Retrospective, will edit the OP with more information in the future (covering the Wily Stages). Just had a tough time playing the game and wanted to get the Retrospective over with honestly.

What are you having most trouble with? Maybe we could talk you through it.

Just to see if my memory was failing me, I just played through Bright Man's stage. That was absurdly easy, heh. (And fun!) You just ride the slow moving grasshoppers on the spikes and then when it turns around, jump to another one. I don't get it. I honestly don't see what you could be finding difficult. You have a lot of time to make the jumps and the jumps are close.

Gren

I just watched some of the speedrun linked earlier, and they constantly remarked that contact damage was quite high in this. Maybe that's part of the reason?

4 was the first MM game I bought with my own money. But other than that, it doesn't stand out much for me. Probably my least fave of the NES games along with 1.

RK128

Just to see if my memory was failing me, I just played through Bright Man's stage. That was absurdly easy, heh. (And fun!) You just ride the slow moving grasshoppers on the spikes and then when it turns around, jump to another one. I don't get it. I honestly don't see what you could be finding difficult. You have a lot of time to make the jumps and the jumps are close.

Bright Man gave me a lot of trouble (f*** that second pit gap in the early part of his stage) and Ring Man's mini-boss was.....very annoying :(. I didn't get the Pharaoh Shot at this point and it was very hard taking it out.

Like I said, will go back to the OP later on and updated it with more information about the Wily Tower and wash my hands of Mega Man 4 for a long while. Honestly want to move on to covering other Mega Man games.

RK128

Want to thank you all who are giving me suggestions and feedback on Mega Man 4. I had a very hard time with it but greatly appreciate the help/advice you all have been giving me for parts of the game.

I said this, but will go back to the OP later and update it with more information but the game honestly didn't click with me. I consider it a great game, but one that is just too hard for me. Hope you all understand.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't recall MM4 being notably harder than any other MM game, outside beating Dive Man with Skull Shield was a pain since you had to get right on top of him to do damage.

Toad Man was stupid easy with the Mega Buster, he'd never even get an attack off if you shot him during his rain dance and get him stuck in a loop.

I think MM4 has some of the best music in the series, though (including the now iconic stage select theme, which was first used here).

Pharaoh Shot is also one of my favorite boss weapons, too. It's like a poor man's Metal Blade, but it also adds some utility as an above-head shield when you charge it.

dralla

The charge shot changed the series for the worse (which is why it's absent in 9 and 10). 4 has great music and great robot master's so I've always enjoyed it the most between the charge shot MM's

RK128

The charge shot changed the series for the worse (which is why it's absent in 9 and 10). 4 has great music and great robot master's so I've always enjoyed it the most between the charge shot MM's

The music in MM4 is a stand out for me, as I really like Pharaoh Man's and Toad Man's themes :).

Lothar

Banned
Bright Man gave me a lot of trouble (f*** that second pit gap in the early part of his stage)

This one?

evsY9QCl.png

You just wait for the green guy to walk off like a dummy and then jump.

RL1guUqm.png
UA2iNsWm.png

It can't be these, can they?

855iRplm.png
Yx23ixpm.png

I don't know, lol. I want you to enjoy it. Post a picture and come here whenever you're having difficulties.

My favorite thing in this game is Skull Man. He's one of my favorite robot masters (I'd say he's my favorite if I absolutely had to choose).

Everything else is a bit fuzzy.

RK128

This one?

evsY9QCl.png

You just wait for the green guy to walk off like a dummy and then jump.

YES, that one annoyed me to no end X(. You have to have the perfect jump to make that gap as even though I waited for the green guy to jump off, I still didn't have enough distance to make it.

It was only until I got the Balloon Item in Pharaoh Man's stage I was able to get across that gap without throwing my Vita at the wall.

I appreciate the kind words and will go back to the game at some point, but will be moving on to other MM titles for other Retrospectives. I said this on Twitter but this Retrospective is weak work from me and I apologize. Will avoid this issue for the future Classic Series MM Retrospectives.

Lothar

Banned
YES, that one annoyed me to no end X(. You have to have the perfect jump to make that gap as even though I waited for the green guy to jump off, I still didn't have enough distance to make it.

It was only until I got the Balloon Item in Pharaoh Man's stage I was able to get across that gap without throwing my Vita at the wall.

Standing jump with no momentum required pretty far away from the edge. :)

AjVcNpR.gif

Or if you want, you can tiptoe to the edge and do a jump from there.

45qM9Xe.gif

You need to work on your Mega Man skills. You don't need to be perfect. Easy jump.

RK128

Standing jump with no momentum required pretty far away from the edge. :)

AjVcNpR.gif

Or if you want, you can tiptoe to the edge and do a jump from there.

45qM9Xe.gif

You need to work on your Mega Man skills. You don't need to be perfect. Easy jump.

tumblr_lvl5tyId4c1qegw8v.gif

Its a miracle I got through the other Classic games in that case XD! Will go back to MM4 and update the OP this weekend like I said a number of times already :).

Pinky

Banned
I enjoyed Mega Man 4.

Dr. Cossack was a nice twist. I remember reading about the game in Nintendo Power and how there was a new villian named Dr. Cossack. I was like "What???? They replaced Dr. Wily????" I was bummed out at the idea of no Dr. Wily in a Mega Man game. Capcom fooled me.

Like most Mega Man games, the soundtrack is great. My favorites are Bright Man's stage and Cossack's Citadel(stages 3 & 4).

RK128

I enjoyed Mega Man 4.

Dr. Cossack was a nice twist. I remember reading about the game in Nintendo Power and how there was a new villian named Dr. Cossack. I was like "What???? They replaced Dr. Wily????" I was bummed out at the idea of no Dr. Wily in a Mega Man game. Capcom fooled me.

Like most Mega Man games, the soundtrack is great. My favorites are Bright Man's stage and Cossack's Citadel(stages 3 & 4).

That was a good twist and the first time the Classic series had the 'Wily is not the main bad guy......wait, he IS the bad guy now O_O!' shtick. MM5 and MM6 does this too (MM7 as well with Bass to some extent).

Four is one of my favorites because it's very balanced compared to 2 and doesn't feel unfinished like 3. I found it a lot easier than 3, it's odd to me that many people find it very challenging.

Personally I find the master levels less interesting than 3, but the castles and castle music tracks make up for it, and most of the weapons are useful. Knowing the weapon weaknesses for normal enemies makes many levels short work.

Cossack 2 and Wily 2 tunes are probably my favorite castle tracks in the series.

RK128

Four is one of my favorites because it's very balanced compared to 2 and doesn't feel unfinished like 3. I found it a lot easier than 3, it's odd to me that many people find it very challenging.

Personally I find the master levels less interesting than 3, but the castles and castle music tracks make up for it, and most of the weapons are useful. Knowing the weapon weaknesses for normal enemies makes many levels short work.

I found it hard due to the frequent usage of spikes and some what should be fun gimmicks (light source being linked to a robot that you can kill, moving platforms to avoid spikes, ect) get ruined by some annoying thing up ahead.

Then again, I likely played with this with a 'wrong' mindset or something, as many of you guys had little issue flying through the game compared to me who struggled just to barely touch the Castle Stages.

I find the Master Levels to be very hard but the boss fights not that annoying. If anything, they are very fair, weakness or not. I like the boss fights in MM4 a lot and they are fun. Just the levels themselves really annoy me.

SkyOdin

Okay, if you ever have a problem with a Mega Man stage, or just need some inspiration, check this series of youtube videos out: Roahm Mythril's Mega Man Perfect Run videos.

This guy inspired me to get way better at the franchise. I don't agree with his opinion on the X series at all, but his skills are something I have to respect. In these videos, he does perfect runs of every classic Mega Man stage. This means:
1) Taking no damage whatsoever
2) Using only the uncharged Mega Buster
3) Not using Rush or other special movement tools to bypass obstacles
4) In a single cut with live commentary through the whole stage

He used to only cover the Robot Master stages, but I just noticed that he went back and did the Fortress stages at some point. I should watch those sooner or later.

RK128

Okay, if you ever have a problem with a Mega Man stage, or just need some inspiration, check this series of youtube videos out: Roahm Mythril's Mega Man Perfect Run videos.

This guy inspired me to get way better at the franchise. I don't agree with his opinion on the X series at all, but his skills are something I have to respect. In these videos, he does perfect runs of every classic Mega Man stage. This means:
1) Taking no damage whatsoever
2) Using only the uncharged Mega Buster
3) Not using Rush or other special movement tools to bypass obstacles
4) In a single cut with live commentary through the whole stage

He used to only cover the Robot Master stages, but I just noticed that he went back and did the Fortress stages at some point. I should watch those sooner or later.

Bookmarked that link, thank you for the tip man :D! Will help alot when I go back to MM4 and edit the OP later this weekend :).

I experienced the difficulty the opposite way, piss easy stages but challenging bosses (personally hate ring and dive mans aggressive pattern). Definitely a low point in level design and music, but I do like the charge buster. However The Wily castle is one of the best in the series.

1upsuper

4 is by far and away my least favorite classic Mega Man game, but it's still perfectly playable and fun to a degree. Toad Man is a pretty memorable RM for pretty much all the wrong reasons, but I still get a kick out of that fight. Well, it's more of an assassination, really.

RK128

Hello everyone.

Before I move on to other Classic series games, I feel the need to re-write the gameplay, level design and conclusion portions of this Retrospective + add a detailed Story portion.

Played this using the Wii VC version (and recently got the game on 3DS E-Shop) and I am having a much better time playing this compared to the Vita (PS1 Classics) version. Really enjoy the game now and need to edit my original thoughts to reflect that.

So, going to greatly edit the OP and the update will be up by 5/3 the latest. This game desired a better retrospective and I apologize if I didn't do this game justice.

Thank you for your time and have a great night!

The Music in MM4 is ok, but tingy. They tired to hard to make complicated sonds with the NES and it clearly didn't work, why they greenlit it is a mystery to me. It alsmot sounds they compressed the PSX music to fit the game. PSX soundtrack fixes this problem.

Megaman 4 stage design makes zero sense to me. The game acts like the game was made for another character. A lot of blind jumps, a lot of offscreen hits, overusage of spiek falling.

Megaman also can't charge the buster before a boss battle which is weird. In fact, double weird because in 5 they fix this but make it so that you lose your charge when hit.

Also if you get hit in the air you rapidly fall straight down. Which is extremely annoying, and that hit animation is way too long.

Top Bottom