• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 4 - Mega Blasting Action

I always wonder if the Mega Man people like is the one they had as a kid. I had 3 and 5 and a relative had 1 as a kid. I get that 2 is good but it doesn't draw me as much as it does with others. With Mega Man 4, I've played this several times but overall it just seems forgettable. There's bits here and there that I remember but it just seems like it's lacking or that it was released because Mega Man and Capcom were gods back then.

papo

To me 2-5 are my gems. 2 being the best, but I've always loved 4 story the best.

The Cossack reveal was always something back in the day.

lazygecko

I liked the way Mega Man flashes neon green when charging in this game, as opposed to just blue like the later games.

Developer interview also gives some much needed insight into the music. I always found it interesting how all Capcom (and Konami) games had a consistent type of sound, even if the composers were completely different. You could immediately tell that it was a Capcom NES game you were listening to. My understanding from this is that the composer was not necessarily responsible for actually implementing the music into the game, which was rather handled by the sound programmer, and that's why all the technical and stylistic quirks remain the same.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am finally playing this game for the first time in 2016 and I just beat Drill Man as my first robot master, and I have to say...

This game is ridiculously hard. The music is also much less catchy than it is in other Mega Man games. :/

woopWOOP

Mega Man 4 still holds a special place in my heart for being the first Mega Man game I actually owned. A cousin of mine had 1 to 3 which I could borrow, while another had 5. This one was MINE.

I remember me and my brother getting destroyed by the Cossack levels with that autoscrolling stage and that crazy flying cube boss. It was quite a trip to get to the end. Good thing those stages had kickass music. The regular robot master stage BGMs are so-so, but the Cossack and Wily themes are great.

I also have special memories of discovering the two hidden powerups all by myself. Playing Pharaoh Man's for the nth time, decided to rush coil over the entrace to see if I could stand on the other side just for the heck of it. Nearly pissed myself in excitement when the screen suddenly started scrolling to the right. On the contrary, I nearly pissed myself in terror as my botched jump over one of Dive Man's pits didn't lead to a death, but a long fall into a dark underwater abyss. I also had no clue what the bionic claw was good for, despite having played Bionic Commando before that.

All in all I think it's not as great as 2, 3 and 5 IMO, but still fun as a replay once in a while.

Lothar

Banned
I am finally playing this game for the first time in 2016 and I just beat Drill Man as my first robot master, and I have to say...

This game is ridiculously hard. The music is also much less catchy than it is in other Mega Man games. :/

You can't dislike Skull, Bright, and Pharoah music can you? If you want an easier time with MM4, maybe you should consider doing the stages in order. Drill is supposed to be last. I'm always loaded with weapons by that stage.

goldenpp72

The game is harder than most of the originals but nothing compared to 1. In terms of quality id put it maybe second from last on the nes. Something about the game just feels tired and bored at times and I could never put my finger on it. It's still great though, I actually best the 8 robot masters on a break today lol.

I can't really agree about it being harder harder than harder than the previous titles. I found 3's revival stages to be among the most difficult in the classic series.

RK128

I can't really agree about it being harder harder than harder than the previous titles. I found 3's revival stages to be among the most difficult in the classic series.

After going back, I agree with your statement a lot. But going to edit the OP with clear thoughts on this title in the next few hours (got to papers to write right now).

Zophar

I feel like a weirdo here because I love MM4. It was the only one I had as a kid so I have a lot of fond memories with it. I like it a lot more than 5 and 6, and maybe even more than 3. Nothing in 4 is as bullshit difficult as the 4 pre-Wily levels in MM3, where you have to face off against the MM2 robot masters again.

RK128

I feel like a weirdo here because I love MM4. It was the only one I had as a kid so I have a lot of fond memories with it. I like it a lot more than 5 and 6, and maybe even more than 3. Nothing in 4 is as bullshit difficult as the 4 pre-Wily levels in MM3, where you have to face off against the MM2 robot masters again.

I'm enjoying MM4 a lot now too, but when input lag suffers, the game gets annoying. That was why my OP here was so sour on the game; got bad input lag with the PS1 Classics version of this.

So, will be editing the OP soon. You are not odd here, the game IS great, I just had a bad first impressions on this and it soured my thoughts on the title when I covered it a few days ago.

Might consider making a whole new retrospective on MM4 tomorrow if you guys want.

ghibli99

I liked it, but along with 1 and 6, they're my least favorite of the 8-bit entries. 5 really surprised me... its inspired feel came out of nowhere!

I'm enjoying MM4 a lot now too, but when input lag suffers, the game gets annoying. That was why my OP here was so sour on the game; got bad input lag with the PS1 Classics version of this.

So, will be editing the OP soon. You are not odd here, the game IS great, I just had a bad first impressions on this and it soured my thoughts on the title when I covered it a few days ago.

Might consider making a whole new retrospective on MM4 tomorrow if you guys want.

No, MM4 is good but there are a few things that set it apart the wrong way, your op is fine.

First off lag is in all versions of MM4, in terms of input not intentionally, and the arm canon which was intentional. Not as bad as ps1 classics though.

The game has it that if you get hit in the air, the knockback is like 5 blocks rapidly downward. This means over enemies, pits, spikes, or trying to progress it becomes really irritating.

Jump lag is there as well but you'll only notice it when you get to Russia.

That along with some odd stage design, hi dustman and Skullman, it's pretty good.

Luckily this game didn't have 5's issue of losing the charge when hit. That would have dropped it waayy down.

I love MM4. It's the last great MM for me until MM8.

This particular combination of tastes in Mega Man may be one I've never heard anywhere else.

RK128, I know how difficult it would be to do on cartridge it if you aren't based out of Europe or Japan, but are you planning on eventually checking out the Mega Man: The Wily Wars Genesis/Mega Drive versions of Mega Man 1-3? That particular collection has really been catching my attention lately, and while it gets a bad rap for the tiny Proto Man sprites (the port team neglected to resize him larger along with Mega Man and the Robot Masters) and slowdown, I still think that it's a cool and otherwise perfectly acceptable sort of "Mario All-Stars" 16-bit version of the classics.

RK128

This particular combination of tastes in Mega Man may be one I've never heard anywhere else.

RK128, I know how difficult it would be to do on cartridge it if you aren't based out of Europe or Japan, but are you planning on eventually checking out the Mega Man: The Wily Wars Genesis/Mega Drive versions of Mega Man 1-3? That particular collection has really been catching my attention lately, and while it gets a bad rap for the tiny Proto Man sprites (the port team neglected to resize him larger along with Mega Man and the Robot Masters) and slowdown, I still think that it's a cool and otherwise perfectly acceptable sort of "Mario All-Stars" 16-bit version of the classics.

Will be covering that in this Retrospective for sure and might consider it being used ala my Sonic Jam Collection; one part of a much larger celebration of the Classic series.

Interesting, the JP version of the game does not have the slowdown (not as bad anyway) that the EU versions got from research on the title I did. So, if I check out any version of the game, it will be the JP version of the collection.

No, MM4 is good but there are a few things that set it apart the wrong way, your op is fine.

First off lag is in all versions of MM4, in terms of input not intentionally, and the arm canon which was intentional. Not as bad as ps1 classics though.

The game has it that if you get hit in the air, the knockback is like 5 blocks rapidly downward. This means over enemies, pits, spikes, or trying to progress it becomes really irritating.

Jump lag is there as well but you'll only notice it when you get to Russia.

That along with some odd stage design, hi dustman and Skullman, it's pretty good.

Luckily this game didn't have 5's issue of losing the charge when hit. That would have dropped it waayy down.

Will still be updating the OP as I feel MM4 is a good game and I didn't cover enough of it (robot master weapons, story, tower stages).

The PS1 version has really bad input lag and I'm glad I found other means to play the game (3DS VC/Legacy Collection 3DS).

Will be covering that in this Retrospective for sure and might consider it being used ala my Sonic Jam Collection; one part of a much larger celebration of the Classic series.

Interesting, the JP version of the game does not have the slowdown (not as bad anyway) that the EU versions got from research on the title I did. So, if I check out any version of the game, it will be the JP version of the collection.

Will still be updating the OP as I feel MM4 is a good game and I didn't cover enough of it (robot master weapons, story, tower stages).

The PS1 version has really bad input lag and I'm glad I found other means to play the game (3DS VC/Legacy Collection 3DS).

But wait are you retrospecting on the nes or psx version of mm4? Considering the psx version fixes things it would be helpful to indicate that.

RK128

But wait are you retrospecting on the nes or psx version of mm4? Considering the psx version fixes things it would be helpful to indicate that.

Originally, I was covering the PSX version (for this OP). But will be editing the OP to cover the NES version (which plays a lot better) later tomorrow. Sorry for not mentioning it originally.

Nzyme32

Really love MM4. It's a childhood favourite of mine.

Contrary to popular belief, the music in MM4, while not so similar to 2 & 3, is damn awesome. Also the fun of going from Dr Cossack to Dr Wily is damn fun for more levels, even when it is an obvious thing to predict

RK128

Hello,

Updated the OP to reflect newer thoughts on the title and do it justice a bit more. Hope the additions/fixes make this a stronger Retrospective on this fun title :D.

Peltz

I actually really liked MM4... even more than MM3, 5 and 6.

For me the NES entries are like this: 2>1>4>3>5>6

As you can see, I'm quite fond of the original Mega Man as well.

MM4 was also the only one I owned as a kid! I had played the other three in various ways (friends houses, etc.) so when MM4 came out, I begged for it for my birthday, and lo and behold, I got it.

Played the FUCK outta that game, and got damn good at it.

Great memories, and the reason I'll always love this game despite the shit that gets thrown its way.

Apenheul

I played through Mega Man 1 - 6 last year on Wii U VC, Mega Man 4 stood out as my least favorite in the series. Miiverse screenshots from my playthough below (man those look dark for some reason):

Best level of MM4 (Unlike most levels in MM4 this particular one doesn't rely on one trick or gimmick and plays more like some of the better MM3 stages)
MlWA773VOSwPhr8-dW

I do really like the spritework in this game, I mean it could almost pass for an early 16-bit game with 8-bit palletized colors.

MlWA773XzmYCxYRvNv

WVW69iQVniU4iG2p3x

WVW69iQVpJA3Q6GcQA

My biggest gripe perhaps is
the Wily fight
, I mean how are you supposed to know that
he's only vulnerable to Pharaoh shots
?

All in all still a good NES platformer but just a disappointing Mega Man game in my opinion.

Glad you found a way to enjoy it, RK. It's pretty good, and I like that the way of collecting the special equipment is not overly complicated (like collecting all the Beat letters in MM5). I will say, I can remember the Wily stage bosses, but I can't remember much about the castle itself, so I'll have to replay it again soon.

Glad you found a way to enjoy it, RK. It's pretty good, and I like that the way of collecting the special equipment is not overly complicated (like collecting all the Beat letters in MM5). I will say, I can remember the Wily stage bosses, but I can't remember much about the castle itself, so I'll have to replay it again soon.

I think you got Mega Man 6 confused with 5, 5's beat letters aren't really hard.

Top Bottom