• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Gamespot review

Further evidence which suggests no remixed music in game in the gamecube version....a gamespot guy posted this at gamefaqs (where the gamecube megaman fans are freaking out btw):

"Technically, there are a couple of remixed tracks on the GameCube, but none of them are in-game, as far as I could tell. The only remixed tracks that exist on the GC are the remixed Mega Man 2 theme that plays at the title screen, and a few unlockable tracks that you can listen to in the secrets menu. As I told the fellow who e-mailed me, I tried over 20 different levels on the GC using navi mode (which is what is supposed to turn those tracks on) and none of the tracks changed from the old 8-bit sounding music. Playing the same levels on the PS2 with navi mode resulted in the new songs. I've done as much testing as I could, and never found any in-game remixed songs on the GameCube version."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hmm, maybe it is a disc space issue? Although how much could music take up
I'd be interested to see how big the ps2 version is on the DVD

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Eh, that doesn't make sense. The GC version has a secret mode where you can listen to remixed music, but the actual game doesn't play them during gameplay? This is getting strange

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Suikoguy said:
Hmm, maybe it is a disc space issue? Although how much could music take up
I'd be interested to see how big the ps2 version is on the DVD

Reading that new information suggests that all of the music does not exist on the disc afterall...

Perhaps it IS a disc space issue and that resulted from Capcom NOT compressing the music? It is a lot of music, obviously, but it doesn't seem like THAT much...

I guess you have to think about just how many songs there really are. I mean, each game has the main stages, menus, end of games stages, etc. Multiply that by 7 and you have a lot of tracks. Depending on how large the rest of the game was (especially with MM8 on there), they may not have been able to fit ALL of the music tracks and rather than being hit or miss they simply dropped it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wario64 said:
Eh, that doesn't make sense. The GC version has a secret mode where you can listen to remixed music, but the actual game doesn't play them during gameplay? This is getting strange

The guy that posted at gamefaqs said "Few unlockable" tracks
making it seem like only a few of the remixed music tracks are in the GC version

Alcibiades

IGN is funny, more proof they shouldn't be taken seriously...

at least it's not as bad as lowering scores due to disagreements with Nintendo business decisions...

explodet

Okay, all the remixed soundtracks in a sound test is one thing... only having a few remixed tracks is totally different.

PS2 version it is.

marsomega

F'ing A..........I'm gonna mass email, letter mail, and bitch about this. Damn them, practically rapped GC owners in the ears...

How sad. This is a game for hardcore, old-school gamers...exactly the group who will (and should) shun the GameCube version now. The control shit is even worse than lack of music remixes.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
efralope said:
IGN is funny, more proof they shouldn't be taken seriously...

at least it's not as bad as lowering scores due to disagreements with Nintendo business decisions...

IGN needs to stop cutting and pasting reviews across platforms. When there are differences like this, it NEEDS to be pointed out. That's why I will not pay them a dime and become a member until things like this get straightened out.

explodet

Lyte Edge said:
IGN needs to stop cutting and pasting reviews across platforms. When there are differences like this, it NEEDS to be pointed out.
Agreed. Gamespy did the same thing - but they're one and the same now, aren't they?

Capcom, reviewers, we are not amused!

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
This is only bad if you people are Gamecube only owners. Really, who doesn't or wouldn't have a ps2 as their second console?

Hero

Meh. I'm still probably going to get this on GCN. It's already my system for retro games.

Legend of Zelda Collection
Sonic Mega Collection
Mega Man Anniversary Collection

Plus GBPlayer allows me lots of older games.

Suikoguy

BuddyChrist83 said:
guys, G4 made the special that's on the GC disc.

PS2 for me!

Muwhahaha, thats a riot!
Thanks for the info

ge-man

What a horribly screwed up compilation. GC only players can't get a fucking break when it comes to cross platform titles. And Capcom needs to get their shit together quite frankly--I still feel for the people who got burnt on the new Steel Battalion.

TheDiave

Banned
Fucking Capcom.... Give us GC owners the better bonus content, but shaft us on the remixed soundtracks. Can't they ever do something nice without some underlying slap across the face?

Lyte Edge said:
IGN needs to stop cutting and pasting reviews across platforms. When there are differences like this, it NEEDS to be pointed out. That's why I will not pay them a dime and become a member until things like this get straightened out.

Well, at the very least they went back and changed the review after-the-fact. That's far more than they've done in countless similar situations in the past.

I'm still just hoping they just changed that line because of their absurd assertion that the remixes kick all kinds of ass over the original songs. The remixes are decent and all, but nothing will ever top the originals.

How does the game control on the PS2? Are the fire and jump buttons arranged left to right (X and circle) NES style, or top to bottom (square and X) like on Super NES games? I'd prefer the latter on the Dual Shock. This is why every game should have a button config option.

BuddyC

TheDiave said:
Fucking Capcom.... Give us GC owners the better bonus content, but shaft us on the remixed soundtracks. Can't they ever do something nice without some underlying slap across the face?

somehow, i doubt that "better bonus content" bit, but, you know, i haven't seen it yet.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Great... way to go, Capcom...

On the off chance this is, yet again, some weird issue with the preview discs (cough), I zapped off an e-mail to some Capcom reps.. I doubt I'll get an intelligent response, but we'll see.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
BuddyChrist83 said:
somehow, i doubt that "better bonus content" bit, but, you know, i haven't seen it yet.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember hearing some rumblings that the anime included with the PS2 version is the American version.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I gotta say that given the lack of titles and the subject matter...the GC version is still going to sell well.

Personally, I think the extras sound lame. I don't want to see anime and I don't want to see a G4 special. I was going to buy this on GC for loading times and graphics (I thought it would be a little brighter) but the hype over the last few days about the soundtracks got me excited. I think for control issues and sound I will go with PS2 for sure now, but the whole difference is really lame.

DDayton

Actually, I'm starting to wonder whether Gamespot didn't just make a silly mistake in the review.

This is funny. I was more interested in the GC version because of interviews vs. some crappy TV show, but since remixed music was 70% of the reason I was interested in this compilation, now the PS2 version is the only option.

The remixes are decent and all, but nothing will ever top the originals.

Please tell me you're joking.

Neutron Night said:
Please tell me you're joking.

Please tell me everything you have ever said in every post you've ever made is a joke, because it's some of the most retarded-ass shit I've heard in my entire life.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
NOW people are saying that both IGN and Capcom USA's pages state the GC version does have the remixed soundtrack fully intact. I would really like to get a confirmation on this. :p

DDayton

I think we need to wait for the actual game to get released... something odd is going on here. As the GC and PS2 versions were developed concurrently, there is really no reason for the music to be missing... I'm wondering whether the ability to toggle classic and remixes is more obtusely hidden in the GC port (Z button, anyone?), and reviewers spent most of their time on the PS2 version... then gave the GC a cursory glance.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Fucking lame. Really, really fucking lame. I was all set to buy the GC version for the load times but if it doesn't have the remixed tracks it's the PS2 version all the way.

I love Capcom, but this omission is unforgivable.

ge-man

olubode said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember hearing some rumblings that the anime included with the PS2 version is the American version.

It is. Really, both version seem to have gotten lame ass extras. I would've love the interviews, but the G4 relation killed any hope I had for something of substance.

David--I hope you can get a word about this. My younger brother is actually going to get this as soon as it's on the shelves--I'd to help him get the best version. He's also somone who was looking at the GC version.

Tritroid

I think some of you guys are making too big a deal out of this... especially GC-only owners. :\

Yes it would have been nice to have remixed tracks on the GC version like the PS2 version, since that's what they advertised, and yes Capcom DID fuck up on this one...but to completely avoid buying the collection all together simply because of that?

No thanks, I'm not going to miss out on this because of one missing option. :p

And whoever said there now needs to be a Megaman X collection, I completely agree.

Grubdog

Banned
So the only advantage the PS2 version supposedly has is the remixed music? Meh, i'll still get the GC version, i couldn't really care less about the remixed music.

dark10x

Tritroid said:
I think some of you guys are making too big a deal out of this... especially GC-only owners. :\

Yes it would have been nice to have remixed tracks on the GC version like the PS2 version, since that's what they advertised, and yes Capcom DID fuck up on this one...but to completely avoid buying the collection all together simply because of that?

No thanks, I'm not going to miss out on this because of one missing option. :p

And whoever said there now needs to be a Megaman X collection, I completely agree.

You forget the importance of the remixed music. Ever since I first heard the remixed tunes for MM4 several years ago, I have been dying for a collection of MM games with music in this fashion. It is my main reason for wanting this collection. Reports a few weeks ago suggested that there was no music, but it seems that there now is. I would not purchase it without this addition.

Now, initially, it seemed that the GC version DID include the music...but only in a sound test. THAT would be a massive f*ck-up. That is not the case, however, and only a few tracks are present.

I'm going to assume that their compression techniques are simply not top notch and they didn't feel like fixing it. While MM1-7 are very small on their own, the added features DO add a bit to them. I'd assume that the combo of Megaman 8 + bonus videos took up much more space. All together, they probably had space left on the disc...but perhaps not enough for ALL songs to be present?

Tritroid

dark10x said:
You forget the importance of the remixed music. Ever since I first heard the remixed tunes for MM4 several years ago, I have been dying for a collection of MM games with music in this fashion. It is my main reason for wanting this collection. Reports a few weeks ago suggested that there was no music, but it seems that there now is. I would not purchase it without this addition.
I don't understand why it is so important actually. :p Sure, it's a nice bonus, and something that I'd enjoy having, but it remains a bonus regardless. If it's left out on purpose or by accident, that's retarded on Capcom's part, but it's not going to cause me to have fucking conniptions. I'll still be getting it because it's the classic games that I care most about. :p

dark10x

Tritroid said:
I don't understand why it is so important actually. :p Sure, it's a nice bonus, and something that I'd enjoy having, but it remains a bonus regardless. If it's left out on purpose or by accident, that's retarded on Capcom's part, but it's not going to cause me to have fucking conniptions. I'll still be getting it because it's the classic games that I care most about. :p

It isn't a bonus for me, though. I LOVE the old music in those games and I REALLY love the remixes. I can play all of these games (except MM8) anytime I wish.

Tritroid

dark10x said:
It isn't a bonus for me, though. I LOVE the old music in those games and I REALLY love the remixes. I can play all of these games (except MM8) anytime I wish.
So you are getting the PS2 version then?

ourumov

I doubt it will be released here on Europe...but remixed soundtracks is a bonus I wouldn't like to miss...
The pitty will be that the difficulty will remain untouched and I'll never finish them :(. It's a pitty since MM8 is one of the games I played most on my SS.

Top Bottom