• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Gamespot review

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tritroid said:
So you are getting the PS2 version then?

Now I am, yes. I was going to skip the collection when it seemed that there would be no remixed music. However, I will likely pick it up now. I wanted to get it on GC if I bought it, though...but I suppose there is no choice now.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I was just thinking... it's a shame that the GBA MMAC doesn't have MM1-7 as well. Heck, screw 7, I'd be pleased just to have all 5 GB games and MM1-6.

Playing Megaman 2 on GBA = Heaven on Earth

ourumov

Grubdog said:
It better be, please Capcom! :(

It would be great and I don't think it's so retro like some publications claim...Megaman 8 features incredible 2D graphics that leave a lot of today's stuff in the dust...
I still remember ClownMan's level...It was very beauty...

I think to remember the SS version had better graphics than the PSX version...I hope the MMC version is the SS one.

dark10x

ourumov said:
Oh damn...
Never played the PSX one so if anyone can made a description of the changes it would be great.

It likely isn't much...

I have MMX4 for Saturn, and the only differences come in the form of additional details. For example, in the first stage after you fall to the ground, the Saturn version has a heat wave effect on the background while this is missing on PSX. On the flipside, transparent objects look terrible on the Saturn version but very nice on PSX. I'd imagine MM8 has similar differences...

ourumov

I also have MM X4 for the Saturn and I agree that the transparence effects were horrible... They used the typical pixel-yes, pixel-not effect for simulating water and other kind of transparences and it did look bad. The same happened with SOTN....
It's curious since Konami did nice transparences in games like Sexy Parodius...

ge-man

It's not just the music--the controls seem to confusingly mapped as well. Really, the only thing the GC version has going for it is faster loading, which isn't as big of a deal as the other things.

If size was an issue, I would've much rather Capcom drop the interviews altogether and squeeze what they could into the extra space. Of course you can't expect a game company to do something that obvious, however. It's just like adelgary said about the video game industry--something always has to be fucked up.

NotMSRP

It's pointless to panic and whine about this stuff right now. Can't you just wait a few days to gather better info from actual buyers to see the real differences between the PS2 and GC version?

You can get the crappy American cartoon here www.protoman.com.

dark10x

Hmm, Gamespot posted some vids that feature the remixed music. Doesn't sound quite as nice as the arranged versions on PSX MM4 and above, but still very good nonetheless.

ge-man

I'm guessing because of space, but I think the better option would've been to can the interviews. Unfortunately, I don't work for Capcom.

dark10x

Deku Tree said:
Yep, but why would they leave the songs out of the GC version?

Like I've said above, the only possiblity is disc space. There ARE SOME remixed tracks in soundtest mode, but not all. Megaman 8 + videos + menu content + any other extras added up probably wouldn't fill the disc...but perhaps it was too full to include ALL of the songs required for this. There are a LOT of songs that they would have to include (MM1-7). I know they wouldn't use MP3, but just the Megaman 4 Arrange version takes up between 60-70mb IIRC. I'd really bet that they simply did not have quite enough space for all of the music and didn't bother finding a way to compress it more.

You'd think that with all the truly kick ass compression algorithms that have been developed for the GC, that Capcom could somehow fit all of the songs in there. This is freaking cheap. An outrage.

ge-man

Wario64 said:
I doubt it's even related to disc space issues

I'm honestly having a hard thinking that it's anything else except for the remote possiblity that SCEA wanted more than a cartoon for exclusive content. I find that hard to believe for such a low key release, however.

Bah, I just give up. My head will explode from trying to figure the reasoning behind this decision.

If it's discovered that it is indeed not a disc space related issue, I hope heads will roll. Some people might think that this is no big deal, but from what we can tell on the internet so far, this is a very huge deal to a lot of people, myself included, obviously.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom fucked up on this one. Still picking up the GC version, but pissed off at Capcom

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Bah...

I want the collection....

But.. on the one hand, I should bash Capcom over the head... but if I don't buy the GC version, it will imply lower support for the GC platform and possibly lead to problems with future "collection" and budget Capcom releases.

Maybe I should just buy the GC version then send a nasty letter to Capcom, asking for a refund because of the missing music.

rawk

I only have a GC, I love these old Mega Man games, and I would have bought this collection with no extra features or upgrades at all. Maybe I'm just burned out on Mega Man remixes because I'm half of Project X (we did a bunch a long time ago), but sign me up for the GC version!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
IIRC, Mega Man 8 for the Saturn had the following changes:

-New (minor) graphic enhancements such as when you are underwater.
-Some BGMs remixed...I believe Tenguman was one of them.
-New art gallery added onto the disc.
-Cutman and Woodman are hidden bosses. (Only bosses though; they didn't get their own stages, which would have rocked)

Link316

Banned
looks like it was indeed a space issue,

"R&D was asked why the GameCube version of Mega Man Anniversary Collection does not have the same remixed music in the Navi Mode as found in the PlayStation 2 version.

It seems there was a disc space problem. The GameCube disc just does not have the same amount of space that a PlayStation 2 DVD has.

Even using the best video and audio compression technologies, simply having 10 games on one disc the 20+ minutes of video in Mega Man 8 and the 20 minutes of video for the extra interview, there was just no room to have the remixed audio in the Navi mode of Mega Man 1 - 6 on a GameCube disc. There is, however, separate remixed tracks that can be found in the secrets area as the game is played through and secrets are unlocked."

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?threadid=3839

DDayton

Somehow I think Nintendo would have cut them a deal on a second disc for MM8 & the interview.

Maybe Atomic Planet doesn't have a clue as to how to implement stuff well, or didn't bother looking into things like that.

Socreges

Banned
Remixed music isn't a big deal for me, but if they're practically identical otherwise, I'll be going with the PS2 version.

I would have much, much rather they ditch the video and put in the audio for the GC version.

That's bullshit. They should have ditched the interviews, which I would have watched like ONCE, and put in the remixed music, that I would have listened to OVER AND OVER. Fucking stupid ass Capcom.

belgurdo said:
Leaving out a bunch of song remixes you can easily torrent or rip from soulseek=fucking up?

And can I listen to them in the game while I'm playing it without extreme trouble and hearing the sound effects? What's that? No, you say? Yes, fucking up.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Capcom Re said:
...there was just no room to have the remixed audio in the Navi mode of Mega Man 1 - 6 on a GameCube disc. There is, however, separate remixed tracks that can be found in the secrets area...
I don't understand, they blame space on the problem but yet the remix tracks are clearly in the game. A couple lines of code to reference the tracks can't take up that much space, I doubt they are using every single kb available.

Either he isn't being being concise enough or that was a poor attempt on covering their mistake.

Gattsu25

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Bah...

I want the collection....

But.. on the one hand, I should bash Capcom over the head... but if I don't buy the GC version, it will imply lower support for the GC platform and possibly lead to problems with future "collection" and budget Capcom releases.

Maybe I should just buy the GC version then send a nasty letter to Capcom, asking for a refund because of the missing music.

this line of reasoning scares me...do you avoid buying games from Walmart, too?

DDayton

Why does the reasoning scare you?

No, I buy the game from wherever it is cheapest.... which generally isn't Walmart, these days.

I'd prefer the GC version as I generally prefer the GC versions of games and make the system my primary system... and if my purchase it going to end up tabulated in total sales for a platform, I'd rather have it be on the one most in need of 3rd party sales so as to garner future 3rd party support.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Goddamnit I didn't bring my PS2 with me for vacation. =(

I always assumed that the two would be identical save for the video content.

Gattsu25

Banned
heh...it's actually a good thing that you didn't “get” my walmart comment :b

My reasoning is: I don't work for [x company] so i'm not going out of my way to support them even if they have the worst version

:b

Top Bottom