• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Gamespot review

BuddyC

MoxManiac said:
For the last time, the music is ALREADY on there, it just can't be used with navi mode to have the music during the game. Which makes this blunder even more retarded.

sad.gif

Wow, you guys make it sound by your pissing and moaning that you only want this game for the music.

There are 8 games on here that you can also play. Maybe it's just me though. I'm interested in the games, and I could give a fuck less about if it has the remixed music or not.

Idiots.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Invader Zim said:
Wow, you guys make it sound by your pissing and moaning that you only want this game for the music.

There are 8 games on here that you can also play. Maybe it's just me though. I'm interested in the games, and I could give a fuck less about if it has the remixed music or not.

Idiots.

Hey, congratulations! We'll put you down for the shittier version.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Musashi Wins! said:
Hey, congratulations! We'll put you down for the shittier version.

Exactly. I'll take the better version, but I guess that's just...well, everyone else but Invader Zim. :p

ge-man

Brilliant post. *rolleyes*

You should keep in mind that these games are relatively easy to find on their own. Most of the interest generated by the compilation was related to extra content.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Invader Zim said:

Idiots.

The point is that Capcom said the games would have remixed soundtracks when they first announced the product. It's inexcusable that the GC version suddenly does not have the remixed soundtracks in Navi mode while the PS2 version does

p.s

rolleyesbarf.gif

You guys realize you're bitching and whining over music in a fuckin' videogame right?

You remind me of the nerds in school that would set their watches to the exact second the bell would ring. Then they would think they were cool when they would get up 2 seconds before the bell rang and start walking to the door.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What the hell is Zim thinking?

It isn't as if we can't already play all of these games either on real hardware or via an emulator. The whole damn point WAS extra content, and considering how good Megaman music always was...this is quite a big feature.

You guys realize you're bitching and whining over music in a fuckin' videogame right?

Err, while I enjoy many types of music, I actually DO listen to a lot of game music. I know I'm not alone in that. Why do people listen to movie soundtracks? They enjoy the music and it relates to something they enjoyed. Music in games is EXTREMELY important, whether you believe that to be the case or not.

Your tone suggests that you find game music worthless and nerdy. Oh f*cking well...better to have an open mind and try to enjoy everything rather than stick to stuff you are "supposed" to enjoy.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Invader Zim said:
You remind me of the nerds in school that would set their watches to the exact second the bell would ring. Then they would think they were cool when they would get up 2 seconds before the bell rang and start walking to the door.
That's funny, I wish I saw that happen.

I'm merely annoyed because I didn't bring my PS2 with me. Now I must wait a few weeks before I can play.

Lyte Edge

Invader Zim said:

You realize this IS A FUCKIN' VIDEO GAME FORUM, right? You remind of the nerds in high school who didn't realize that they were nerds. :)

There's a difference between liking videogames and obsessing over something as trivial as an updated music track to 10-15 year old games.

Did you forget about the 2 other games or the bonus content? Not to mention it's 10 games on 1 disk.

I understand that people enjoy videgame music. But we're talking about MegaMan here, it was never that great to begin with.

Alcibiades

Invader Zim said:
There's a difference between liking videogames and obsessing over something as trivial as an updated music track to 10-15 year old games.

Did you forget about the 2 other games or the bonus content? Not to mention it's 10 games on 1 disk.

I understand that people enjoy videgame music. But we're talking about MegaMan here, it was never that great to begin with.

Megaman 2 soundtrack easily in Top 5 Videogame soundtracks of ALL TIME!

Lyte Edge

Invader Zim said:

No one's obsessing over the remixed soundtrack. I don't see people posting stupid messages or trolling the thread other than you.

Invader Zim said:

Mega Man 1-3 had awesome soundtracks. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The remixed soundtracks themselves are bonus content too, you know

Invader Zim said:

Says the person who doesn't give a fuck about video game soundtracks

Jumpman

I was planning on getting this for GC. Load times and GC resolution is important to me.

I played the first 3 or 4 Mega Man titles on NES, but stopped after that. I didn't really get tired of the series but back then my games budget wouldn't allow me to purchase a new game in the series every year.

I remember liking the music, so obviously remixed versions of these songs would be important to me.

My question is whether these are brand new remixes made specificaly for this compilation, or if they were used somewhere before. Are they good enough that I should get the PS2 version instead?

dark10x

Jumpman said:
I was planning on getting this for GC. Load times and GC resolution is important to me.

I played the first 3 or 4 Mega Man titles on NES, but stopped after that. I didn't really get tired of the series but back then my games budget wouldn't allow me to purchase a new game in the series every year.

I remember liking the music, so obviously remixed versions of these songs would be important to me.

My question is whether these are brand new remixes made specificaly for this compilation, or if they were used somewhere before. Are they good enough that I should get the PS2 version instead?

Load times would be your only benefit. "GC resolution" doesn't apply here as all of these games are very low resolution.

robot

Invader Zim said:

Man, you have no idea how much ass that used to get me. I'm talkin TONS.

And if you own both systems, you would have to make a decision on which version right? And you would obviously get the version with more features (such as remixed music) right? Am I right or am I right? Right right right right.

robot said:
And if you own both systems, you would have to make a decision on which version right? And you would obviously get the version with more features (such as remixed music) right? Am I right or am I right? Right right right right.

Well, let's see. I'd first decide which controller I am more comfortable with. Then I would look at load time. Then I would see which version is emulated better. Then I would decide on extra content. Since I don't care about the 30 minute anime cartoon, and I don't care about which version has original or updated music, I'm still going with the GameCube version.

Jumpman

dark10x said:
Load times would be your only benefit. "GC resolution" doesn't apply here as all of these games are very low resolution.

I know that that these games are old and therefore designed at something like 320X240, but the sonic mega collection was bumped up to a full 640X480 when it was released. Are you sure that this isn't also the case with MMAC.

robot

Invader Zim said:
Well, let's see. I'd first decide which controller I am more comfortable with. Then I would look at load time. Then I would see which version is emulated better. Then I would decide on extra content. Since I don't care about the 30 minute anime cartoon, and I don't care about which version has original or updated music, I'm still going with the GameCube version.

Exactly. Everyones kinda pissed because the Gamecube version had everything going for it...better controller*, faster load times, same emulation and similiar special features. Now all of the sudden the only extra content people were excited about, the remixed music, was taken away. People who are into vgm and own a gamecube have every right to be pissed. Especially since it was promised to them in the first place.

*You're probably wondering - "Is he saying the GC version would be more comfortable to control?" I'd take a wavebird over a ps2 controller anyday (except for fps).

BuddyC

Invader Zim said:

wait wait wait

you're saying that GC D-Pad > PS2?

I can understand if you have a HORI, but..

*boggle*

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I am going to buy the GC version at the store then buy the PS2 version used. EAT IT SONY GC THIRD PARTY SALES++

not realy.

BuddyChrist83 said:
wait wait wait

*boggle*

The WaveBird is the most comfortable controller I have ever had. Sure, the D-pad is small, but I'm used to using it playing Wario-Ware and the AC NES games.

BuddyC

I'll agree that the Wavebird is hella comfortable, but Wavebird > PS2 for Mega Man usage?

rolleyesbarf2.gif

Even when I was planning on the GC version, I was still gonna use my PS2 -> GC adapter.

MoxManiac said:
There's the real barfing rolleyes! Wario's looked like a cheap knockoff :p

??? What? Wario's looked like it's supposed to look, with a bigger version of the emoticon spewing out smaller versions of itself.

And was Invader Zim hired by Capcom to troll MMAC complaint threads after school lets out at the junior high?

Mairu

BuddyChrist83 said:
wait wait wait

*boggle*
I have a HORI :(

If it wasn't for this stupid shit I would be getting the GC version... but remixed music is too important to pass up :/

Maybe I'll pick up both versions when they drop to 10$ :/

BeOnEdge

Banned
GC with no remixed tunes in game=SFA saturns blue super shadows. and remixed tunes ONLY when the shadows were transparent :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I guess the retro pad I picked up a few months back will be perfect with the PS2 version I'm getting.

Oh well I hope someone ups the G4 interview and anime video for owners of either version.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I just thought of something...

Is there any chance that the PS2 version simply the Mega Man discs previously released as six separate titles, all dumped onto one disc.. while the GC one is actually a new port/emulation of the games? If so, it may be well outside the scope of Atomic Planet to script all the custom music file tags in the games for the GC version... things already done for the PS2 and in the PS2 code.

Basically, if Atomic Planet simply dumped the PS2 individual releases onto a single disc and added a menu, then ported most of the code to the GameCube, is it possible that it was simply "too much work" to bother trying to tie in the music tracks? That makes a lot more sense than any other given explanation.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I was wondering which version to get, and Capcom has made the decision for me.

PS2 a go go!

Too bad I can't get it for a while.

I'm buying the Cube version anyways. I want to play with the Hori controller and plus, I just enjoy having all my classic games on one system (that and it is the only system I play in prog scan). Also, playing my PS2 seems like such a pain. I don't play it enough to leave it on standby mode, which means I have to reach around back and flip that stupid-ass switch. In a giant googly-eyed entertainment center with systems and wires fucking the backside of its deep and twisting corridors it truly IS a pain to flip the switch.

dark10x

Jumpman said:
I know that that these games are old and therefore designed at something like 320X240, but the sonic mega collection was bumped up to a full 640X480 when it was released. Are you sure that this isn't also the case with MMAC.

That wasn't the case, though...that is, the resolution of the games appeared to be the same as the originals EVEN IF the screen resolution was higher. Running a PC emulator at 640x480 with no filters will produce a screen that looks exactly the same as 320x240. Even IF it was enhanced (which it is not), it would be the same on both systems...

Regarding the Wavebird, it really is a great controller, but I don't think the analog stick is a good option and the d-pad is horrible. I've played through MMNT with it, but the PS2 pad still would have been better for it.

I am enjoying all of the ways people are trying to justify the GC version, though. "I don't want to have to flip the power switch on PS2", "I buy all my games for Gamecube!!11", "I want progressive scan even though this game doesn't offer it!!!1111", "F*ck the music", "I hate Sony and won't support them even if it means I must accept an inferior version of the game!" etc etc etc...

I'll never understand why people are so loyal with their systems that they will skip superior versions of games just to get a copy for that system they love so much. Perhaps I'm insane, but I simply purchase whichever version is the best. :\ This happens all the time and with all systems...

dark10x

Tritroid said:
You can, but why would you want to?

...because there is no other option? The D-pad is completely useless as a directional controller. The control stick isn't too bad, though. Like I said, I played through Network Transmission with the control stick and didn't have a problem. The D-pad is just akward as hell and I've never enjoyed using it at all.

I love using my GameCube as much as the next guy, but I would be buying the PS2 version in a heartbeat if I had the system.

I'm with dark on this one. How the heck are people justifying buying the GC version when they have access to a PS2? The only thing I can think of is the Wavebird.

Grubdog

Banned
Meh, I play all my GBA games on the Gameboy Player with the control stick, and it's fine for me, I don't understand what's so bad about playing "old games", or "2D games" with a control stick, and yes, the GCN d-pad is terrible. I'm getting the GCN version so it can join Sonic Mega Collection and Zelda Collectors Edition, faster load times, and mainly because I prefer the GCN controller.

lordmrw

JasoNsider said:
I love using my GameCube as much as the next guy, but I would be buying the PS2 version in a heartbeat if I had the system.

I'm with dark on this one. How the heck are people justifying buying the GC version when they have access to a PS2? The only thing I can think of is the Wavebird.

I honestly don't care about the remixed music. I would probably listen to it once just for the sake of it, then go back to the original. I never had any problems with the original, and would probably prefer playing the games with it.

Tritroid

dark10x said:
...because there is no other option? The D-pad is completely useless as a directional controller. The control stick isn't too bad, though. Like I said, I played through Network Transmission with the control stick and didn't have a problem. The D-pad is just akward as hell and I've never enjoyed using it at all.
It's not completely useless. Granted it's difficult to use as directional on a GC pad, but it's better than using a control stick. Network Transmission is in a different league since it was designed with the control stick in mind.

Frankly I think the best option for this collection is the HORI pad.

Lyte Edge

Dark is right on target with his rant. :) Too many of the "reasons" to not get the PS2 version being given are just flat-out excuses. Hey, if you want the GC version, GET IT. I'd like to get it over the PS2 port as well, but I want that remixed music. Now, should the remixed tunes suck, then I'm going to be disappointed. I'd prefer it on the GC just because I can use the Wavebird to play it and because I have a screen for more portablity, but that's the only reason. Loads times aren't an issue in this game; even if there's a few more seconds wait on the PS2 version, it's going to load the whole game up anyway, so it doesn't matter. Control certainly doesn't matter, either...these games all use 2-3 buttons each. Any pad will work great.

This doesn't need so much debate. It's simple: Do you care about the remixed music? If not, go with the GC version. If so, get the PS2 port. End of story. People are right; the NES versions did have awesome music, so wouldn't you rather have the version that (hopefully should) have even better versions of these classic BGMs? The Genesis versions were awesome and certainly spanked the NES MM1-3 BGMs.

Now we can shift this bitching over to why Atomic Planet didn't update the NES games visually or why the Genesis Wily Wars versions weren't used. :D

Goddamnit one more time. Cube version= faster loading time, Hori Controller or Wavebird. For me that is better than the remixed music in-game. Plus like I said in another thread, I don't play my damn PS2 enough to warrant buying this little game. It is not worth the trouble to turn the fucker on.

And I like Wario 64's face much better than Buddies'. Did you ever stop to think the pixelation was a good thing?

Top Bottom