• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X – Blue Bomber of the Future

RK128

mmx_boxpal.jpg

This game is huge and is one of the greatest games ever made, so of course it would be part of this Mega Man Retrospective!

The Mega Man X series pushed the Mega Man IP into the future in a big way in 1993/1994 and is a game many site as one of the strongest games in the entire Mega Man series. So, what makes this game so good?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We have to cover development history first and this went into development after sales of the NES Mega Man games started going down after Mega Man 3. They were doing well enough, but not nearly as well compared to MM2 and MM3. So, they told the core Mega Man team within Capcom to get to work on getting a new Mega Man ready for the Super Nintendo.

So as cited from the MMX Wikipedia page:

"Lead artist Keiji Inafune (credited as a planner as Inemuryar) recounted that the development of Mega Man X required a lot of brainstorming for its storyline and content where the team's goal was to branch out from original Mega Man games while still maintaining their fundamentals. In the original Mega Man series, Inafune typically designed the protagonist while his protégé Hayato Kaji handled the supporting characters. However, their roles were reversed for Mega Man X. Kaji (credited as Rippa H.K) illustrated the protagonist X, but had a difficult time with the initial design. He was presented with much more freedom than he was accustomed with the SNES's larger palette of colors when compared to the NES. Inafune and Kaji worked simultaneously on the various designs for X with different pieces of armor attached. The idea for the armor parts came about because the game was planned during a time when role-playing video games were becoming extremely popular. Inafune felt that Mega Man had always represented a classic action game formula in which the hero earns his defeated enemies' abilities; the armor parts were added to supplement this concept."

So, what does all of this mean? Well it means that Inafnue had a much larger role in terms of character design for MMX and it lead to Zero being created. Zero was supposed to be MMX, but due to his design being so different (and likely Capcom wanting Mega Man's image to be consistent across the sub-series), pushed for Kaji's MMX design over Inafune's Zero design.

zero-mmx.png

That is very interesting, considering future X games like X4, X6 and X7 when they are really Zero games in disguise, but will get to those when the time comes.

The team that made this game was much larger than MM1, which makes sense considering this beign a new take on the Mega Man IP!
Producer: Tokuro Fujiwara
Designers: Yoshinori Takenaka, Keiji Inafune, Sho Tsuge, Masayoshi Kurokawa
Programmers: Keiji Kubori, Kouichiro Nakamura
Artists: Keiji Inafune, Hayato Kaji, Kazunori Tazaki, Tatsuya Yoshikawa
Writer: Keiji Inafune, Sho Tsuge
Composers: Setsuo Yamamoto, Makoto Tomozawa, Yuki Iwai, Yuko Takehara, Toshihiko Horiyama

Either way, they made a whole new world and setting with MMX, taking place a very long time after the events in the Classic series. Will go over the story details in a bit but the general goal was to make things darker and more mature with the X series. They accomplished this with the MMX series well on the SNES series of games but when we get to the PS1/PS2 titles, it will be interesting to talk about that element there.

So, the game finally came out December 1993 in Japan with NA/EU getting the game a month later in January 1994. It was a critical and sales success, with Capcom comissioning a sequel game to follow MMX and the Classic series still continuing with MM7 a year latter. The Mega Man X Series was born, with more Sub-Series to follow as time went on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The story is set in the far future past the time of Mega Man Classic, with the world being composed of humans and robots living in peace. Dr. Cain finds a robot while exploring and using its core design, creates a new type of robot, the Reploids. These robots are living beings, with emotions and have free will. This is unlike the robots and robot masters in Mega Man Classic, where they have to listen to human commands despite showing personality and emotions.

hqdefault.jpg

The robot Dr. Cain uses to make the Reploids? Mega Man X of course! Dr. Light makes Mega Man X in old age and makes him to change the world of robotics. He hopes for a world of peace and feels Mega Man X will accomplish this dream. In the original game, we do not see X interact with Dr. Light at all, but in the PSP remake, this is touched upon. Will cover that when we get to Mega Man Maverick Hunter X.

So, what happened to ruin this peace? A virus; the Maverick Virus. The virus causes robots to go wild and have a warped perspective of the world around them, so like the robot masters before them, they attack humans and cause havoc. Sigma, a former commander of the Maverick Hunters gets infected himself after being affected from the Virus by a robot named Zero a very long time ago.

hqdefault.jpg

Zero is a partner robot to Mega Man X, using his Z-Saber and his Z-Buster to fight robots. But he isn't a Reploid like others though, but he was made by the evil doctor himself, Dr. Wily. Its heavily implied that he caused the Classic Series to end, but not much is known about the series connections between Classic and X. Zero lost his memory and is a good guy though, so he works with X to take out troubled robots.

banner_1729.jpg

So, him and Zero work together to stop a now evil Sigma and take out the Eight Robot Mast....I mean Mavericks on the lose.

Strong set up for future games and the story does go in interesting directions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What makes MMX so great, is its gameplay. It is different from the Classic series on many levels thanks to two major abilities; wall jumping/sliding & dashing. These two abilities completely change how level design works with Mega Man and they are so much fun to use.

maxresdefault.jpg

You can collect heart tanks (which increase you health bar), sub-tanks (which store health energy, think E-Tanks from the Classic series) and armor pieces. Dr. Light has these all over the map and they give you different abilities. The Leg Piece allows you to dash, the Arm Piece allows you to charge special attacks, the Plate Piece gives you more defense and the Head Piece allows you to avoid objects hitting you from above.

e258dbba1b99c6762072e636a0ad8fff.jpg

Later games make the armor system a bigger deal, with the PS1 X games giving you more armor options.

X can still use powers taken from defeated Mavericks, jump and shoot (with MM3's charge shot also being a move you have from the start) but his dashing ability makes things more 'faster' paced. You can use the dash to get longer jumps, slide up ramps faster and most importantly, dodge foes better. This makes boss fights very fun, but will get to that in a bit.

hqdefault.jpg

What makes the game so rewarding though, is that it teaches you how to do everything, but with no messages on the screen. Not the biggest fan of Egoraptor, but his Mega Man X video is a really good example to look at if you want a complete break down why Mega Man X is such a good sequel series to MM Classic.

I recommend you map the Dash to R on the controller though; makes using it far more useful then double tapping dash with the D-Pad or pressing one of the face buttons.

The wall jump is very useful, as it allows you to slide down walls and jump higher & higher if you time you jumps well. This also allows for more vertical level design for te game, which leads to some really large levels for X to fight through.

Stage design itself is really rock solid, as you have a lot of great gimmicks to play with. Flame Mamoth's stage for example has lava at points you have to dodge, Storm Eagle's stage is very focused on tight platforming due to it being in the air, Sting Chameleon's stage has TWO secret secrets to hunt for & introduces the ride armors (suits X can jump into). They are really fun to play through and depending on the order you beat bosses, they change other levels. Defeat Storm Eagle first? Then when you visit Spark Mandrill, you have to deal with his level having power surges that make the light flicker due to power going out from Eagle's ship crashing on his power plant.

mega_man_x_storm.png

Makes replaying the game a joy, as things can change depending on your actions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The boss's are a blast to fight through, as they each have unique set-ups. Flame Mammoth for example is a robot that you fight on a convator, with his fire breath having a long range of attack. If you use the Boomerang weapon, you can get his trunk off, making his fire breath have shorter range.

The designs of the bosses are great, with each one being based off different animals:
mmx1-mavericks.png

They have striking designs and the weapons they offer are even better. A boomerang that can pull objects toward you, flame thrower that is very powerful, storm blaster that decimates everything it passes, and charged versions of weapons that are even more effective? Awesome line up of weapons X can gain from defeating them.

I think one of the best examples of boss fights in the game are the two encounters you have with Vile, a Boba-Fet like character what is against X & Zero. You CAN'T beat him, at all. Every shot you have does no damage, but then, Zero shows up and pushes him off.

latest

But when you face him again, the same thing happens, with you losing to him despite having more health, lots of weapons and as the player, more experience with the game. Then after a fatal blow to a helper, X gets pissed and more or less says "You're done now". Your shots count and you CAN damage Vile now. It is story through gameplay and I love that when games pull it off well.

Mega_Man_X_SS1_Vile_Mech_Armor_Fight.png

Sonic did this great with Sonic 3&K, so its great to see the Blue Bomber pull that off well though the strong boss fights.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Presentation for this game is outstanding, as they have more detailed sprite work, the levels have a lot going on, and the frame rate is lock solid. The only time the game has performance issue is in Armored Armadillo's stage, where we get some slowdown at two points. Otherwise, rock stolid frame rate :).

latest

The music though, has to be one of my favorites in the Mega Man series. Such a great set of tunes and I can still hum the intro stage to this day.

Intro Stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YROV9Gj7e2g&list=PLB571ACABC3369010&index=1&nohtml5=False
Chill Penguin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uCOIxhjHK4&index=2&list=PLB571ACABC3369010
Spark Mandrill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO1y0gGiO5k&index=3&list=PLB571ACABC3369010
Boomer Kuwanger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo8iCMEzyh0&index=6&list=PLB571ACABC3369010&nohtml5=False
Storm Eagle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngfn5kuymnU&list=PLB571ACABC3369010&index=8&nohtml5=False
Sting Chameleon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0VrczdZvbw&list=PLB571ACABC3369010&index=7&nohtml5=False
Sigma Stage 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRCu3qCUuuE&index=10&list=PLB571ACABC3369010&nohtml5=False
Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enH03s3gPk0&list=PLB571ACABC3369010&index=15&nohtml5=False

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Overall, Mega Man X is a fantastic game and one of the series best titles. While it might be too easy compared to later X games and other Classic Mega Man games, it is still one hell of a ride and great way to re-introduce the series to SNES owners of the time period.

The series has a long legacy, with a sequel coming not long after. We will talk about that soon enough though.

latest

As stated many a time on here. Mega Man X is my favorite game of all time. It's sad Capcom kept going passed X5 for some odd reason even though the series end, if I remember correctly was supposed to be done after X5.

I never tried mapping dash to R because in my mind I think it would be tougher to do dash jumps off the walls, which is performed by pressing dash right before you jump. Might try it though to see how it goes. Storm Eagle's stage is a good example of one of the better designed levels. As much as I like Boomer Kuwanger's stage music, being my favorite song in the franchise, I can't say that is a great level. A common complaint I hear is that Maverick's being animals is lame, gotta disagree with that since it allows bosses to look a lot different than just humanoids (although this didn't really get fleshed out more until the Mega Man Zero series.)

Ya did good.

... in the 16-Bit era. :)

No, ever.

RK128

As stated many a time on here. Mega Man X is my favorite game of all time. It's sad Capcom kept going passed X5 for some odd reason even though the series end, if I remember correctly was supposed to be done after X5.

I never tried mapping dash to R because in my mind I think it would be tougher to do dash jumps off the walls, which is performed by pressing dash right before you jump. Might try it though to see how it goes. Storm Eagle's stage is a good example of one of the better designed levels. As much as I like Boomer Kuwanger's stage music, being my favorite song in the franchise, I can't say that is a great level.

Ya did good.

Thanks man :D! Saw your post on Twitter about this being one of your favorite games, so I hope I did a good job covering it :).

And you are right about X5; it was supposed to end the X series and be the lead-in for the Zero series but Capcom wanted an X6, so they had to re-write parts of the Zero series to make more sense.

That is why Zero's ending in X5 is almost exactly the same in X6; to sorta make it okay. Will get to X6 when I get to it, but that is the Sonic 06 of the Mega Man series and I can't wait to rip it a new one.

Thanks man :D! Saw your post on Twitter about this being one of your favorite games, so I hope I did a good job covering it :).

And you are right about X5; it was supposed to end the X series and be the lead-in for the Zero series but Capcom wanted an X6, so they had to re-write parts of the Zero series to make more sense.

That is why Zero's ending in X5 is almost exactly the same in X6; to sorta make it okay. Will get to X6 when I get to it, but that is the Sonic 06 of the Mega Man series and I can't wait to rip it a new one.

Yeah X6, more or less is that. X7 being basically Sonic Boom on a technical level. (Didn't play much of X7 or X8 though.)

My favorite Mega Man game, even if I do hate the last boss.
Final form is one of the odder ones, then again all Sigma final forms seem to be all over the place to be honest.

Having just played through Maverick Hunter on the Vita this was a nice little write up. I would have liked some information on the bosses and their weapons though as the X series had some fantastic designs.

RK128

Having just played through Maverick Hunter on the Vita this was a nice little write up. I would have liked some information on the bosses and their weapons though as the X series had some fantastic designs.

I knew I forgot something.......okay, will add that to the OP in a bit.

Lum1n3s

The one game I can go back to and 100% in under on day. Seriously one of the goats and Sigma's Fortress music is beautiful.

Yeah X6, more or less is that. X7 being basically Sonic Boom on a technical level. (Didn't play much of X7 or X8 though.)
X6 is more of the Sonic Boom and Sonic 06 on the technical level considering they basically released it broken and unfinished. X7 just isn't that good of a game.

Magnus

Nothing quite like firing this game up and plowing through it for a couple of hours. Tight platforming, killer music, amazing visuals...

God I hope a 16-bit resurgence takes over in indies sometime soon...

georly

Great write-up! Thanks!

Hands down my favorite mega man. My second favorite 2D sidescrolling game (only 2nd to super metroid!). Probably the only game I have with super ingrained muscle memory. I must have beaten this game more than any other game I've ever owned. It's a joy to play and it's short enough that I can keep replaying it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Great writeup. MMX is in my top 5 games of all time.

Everything about the game is just sublime.

Nice write up.

Sometimes I feel the X series never gets as much credit as the original games, because X was responsible for it's other spinoffs like Zero, Legends(see X5), and ZX. Plus it was nice for a slightly darker and story driven mega man game that was, IMHO just much more satisfying to play.

Though sad to say after X4 it did kinda go downhill.

RK128

Nice write up.

Sometimes I feel the X series never gets as much credit as the original games, because X was responsible for it's other spinoffs like Zero, Legends(see X5), and ZX. Plus it was nice for a slightly darker and story driven mega man game that was, IMHO just much more satisfying to play.

Though sad to say after X4 it did kinda go downhill.

From my very lose impressions of games post X4:
-X5 is still a good game, but the randomization for the ending and if you lose Zero as a playable character is very annoying
-X6 is horrible......nothing more to say here
-X7 is slow and boring
-X8 is a return to the quality X4 had and with really great voice acting & story to boot
-Maverick Hunter X is a great remake of a fantastic game

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
From my very lose impressions of games post X4:
-X5 is still a good game, but the randomization for the ending and if you lose Zero as a playable character is very annoying
-X6 is horrible......nothing more to say here
-X7 is slow and boring
-X8 is a return to the quality X4 had and with really great voice acting & story to boot
-Maverick Hunter X is a great remake of a fantastic game

I finished up X5 the other day and yeah, I had no idea that losing Zero was kinda random. I did manage to make it work by getting 3 of the parts for the cannon and got it to blow up. (After reseting a couple times hah).

I still need to get around to X8. I bought it used cheap a while back and never started it. Heh.

Thank you :D! Love the work you do with GameXplain, so its a bit of an honor of you posting on one of my threads :). Glad you enjoyed my write up!

Thanks so much! I really enjoyed all your Sonic threads as well. Been enjoying and following your threads for awhile!

Thank you! Glad I did a good job with this :).

Also thank you for the book link; will look into it, as I can reference it for future MM threads I make in the future.

You might also be interested to know that, as UDON's senior editor, I edited and proofed the English version of this book. I'm a fellow Mega Man superfan like you, so this was like a dream job for me! If you do end up getting the book, I hope you really enjoy it. :)

EDIT: Actually, my bad - I thought you were given a link to MM25. The Mega Man X Official Complete Works book is out of print now, but you can get it and the Mega Man Official Complete Works book in one combined, 400+ page tome called MM25! Here's the link.

RK128

Thanks so much! I really enjoyed all your Sonic threads as well. Been enjoying and following your threads for awhile!

You might also be interested to know that, as UDON's senior editor, I edited and proofed the English version of this book. I'm a fellow Mega Man superfan like you, so this was like a dream job for me! If you do end up getting the book, I hope you really enjoy it. :)

I remember you posting in my Sonic 3D Blast thread, so its nice to see you enjoying my new Mega Man retrospective too :D! Have ALOT to cover, so hope you stick around for my coverage of other games in the series :).

Had no idea you edited the UDON book! Even more motivation to pick it up in the future :D!

mnannola

Not sure if Mega Man X is the best game, but it's my favorite by far. The jump from NES Mega Man games to Mega Man X on the SNES was the first moment I had of "Holy shit the SNES is amazing!" It just looked and animated so much better. That fucking slide!

TreIII

Excellent game. Probably the only other game (besides LTTP) that really sold me on the glory of the 16-bit era being such a jump over the 8-bit. That opening Bridge stage still stands out to me as one of the most "cinematic" experiences in gaming, without actually using FMVs and the like to kick off the action.

As far as MM's go? It's probably second only to MM2 in being my overall favorite, and shares a spot with X2.

I still need to get around to X8. I bought it used cheap a while back and never started it. Heh.

Same, but I can say that I at least tried it (again) a few years back. Just haven't gotten that far because the game just...annoys me in a lot of ways. Because there's such an emphasis on the "team system", it makes it seem like everything hits X and co. like a freight train. And I dunno what the post X4 dev team's sick fascination with forced Vehicle levels is, but putting them in 3D didn't make things any better to me.

Sad, because some things, like the overall gameplay and being able to "mix-n-match" X's armors were actually good ideas. I always hoped that Production Studio 1 would have gotten the chance to "make things right" with an X9 some time later, but well, we saw what happened after Rockman fell out of grace.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Same, but I can say that I at least tried it (again) a few years back. Just haven't gotten that far because the game just...annoys me in a lot of ways. Because there's such an emphasis on the "team system", it makes it seem like everything hits X and co. like a freight train. And I dunno what the post X4 dev team's sick fascination with forced Vehicle levels is, but putting them in 3D didn't make things any better to me.

Oh lord, fuck those so hard. Even when you know the layout, one little screwup and you're dead.

Vile da bes. I just had to have his D-Art.

]

Need Alia version.

SheHateMe

MMX has always been a favorite of mine, right behind MM2... and some days, even surpassing MM2, depending on how I feel.

Loved the write up, OP! I can't wait until you get to the later game sin the series, just to see how you handle the overall... jank... of the series after X4.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've been tempted to give X6 another chance... largely because the music in that game is excellent.

Good idea? Bad idea?

X4 and X5 are my favorite in the entire MM series, for what that's worth.

Top Bottom