• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X – Blue Bomber of the Future

Onemic

I think you can find them for a good price; remember spending 20-30 bucks and walked out of GameStop with the X Collection & MMX8 two or so years back.

I'm sure you will find the games for good prices online.

How are the PS2 Mega Man X titles btw? I remember being interested in them back when they released but then I saw those reviews...I wasnt sure if they were low simply because they didnt innovate enough, or if they were legitimately bad games...

Didn't expect to see this thread get bumped XD!

If anyone wants to play MMX for the first time, the Maverick Hunter X title is a good way to experience the game (and will be covering that when I finish covering the X series), but I highly recommend you find a way (Wii U VC, MMX Collection, Retail SNES version, ect) to play the original.

Its a classic for a reason and while the PSP remake rocks, the original SNES game still is the best way to experience this gem of a title :).

I think the VC versions of X1-X3 are also supposed to release soon for the new 3DS correct? I'm trying to recall if they are.

RK128

I think the VC versions of X1-X3 are also supposed to release soon for the new 3DS correct? I'm trying to recall if they are.

Yes, they are out in Japan right now (I think?) and will likely come out this month for the annual 'Mega May' event (which will likely be paired with more MM games like Mega Man Soccer and Mega Man 64 for the Wii U VC).

RK128

How are the PS2 Mega Man X titles btw? I remember being interested in them back when they released but then I saw those reviews...I wasnt sure if they were low simply because they didnt innovate enough, or if they were legitimately bad games...

The PS2 MMX games are interesting, as each one is different.

MMX7 is a weak attempt for the series to Sonic Unleash itself, meaning, trying to blend 2D and 3D gameplay. But the game feels slower, its more clunky, the level design suffers greatly and the presentation isn't very good. Story appears to be interesting but the inclusion of Axel as a character isn't done well and the voice acting is horrible outside of Sigma.

MMX8 is a turn to quality that X1, X2, X3 and X4 had; solid level designs, great presentation, fun soundtrack and all three playable characters are fun to play as. MMX7 didn't let you play as X until late in the game, but he is unlocked from the start. Story is also interesting and the voice acting is much, much better.

Mega Man X Command Mission is one I never played but it is an RPG title. It looks interesting enough and when I get a chance to play it/do more research on it, will have clearer thoughts on the title.

Sephzilla

Mega Man X is, in my opinion, the best Mega Man game ever made and one of the best video games ever made. Good write up, OP

Onemic

The PS2 MMX games are interesting, as each one is different.

MMX7 is a weak attempt for the series to Sonic Unleash itself, meaning, trying to blend 2D and 3D gameplay. But the game feels slower, its more clunky, the level design suffers greatly and the presentation isn't very good. Story appears to be interesting but the inclusion of Axel as a character isn't done well and the voice acting is horrible outside of Sigma.

MMX8 is a turn to quality that X1, X2, X3 and X4 had; solid level designs, great presentation, fun soundtrack and all three playable characters are fun to play as. MMX7 didn't let you play as X until late in the game, but he is unlocked from the start. Story is also interesting and the voice acting is much, much better.

Mega Man X Command Mission is one I never played but it is an RPG title. It looks interesting enough and when I get a chance to play it/do more research on it, will have clearer thoughts on the title.

Thanks for the write up!

So I guess I'll go MMX 1-5 and MMX 8

Unfortunately I've never played the original MM series in my life. Funny fact is that when I was a kid, I actually wanted MM7 for SNES, but my mom got me MMX. When I saw that I got X instead of 7, I was pretty sad and disappointed. I hated that I got X, because back then I saw it as the inferior Megaman.(Part of the reason was that I didnt get that dog that always follow him around in 7 :p) Of course that all changed when I finally put that cart in my SNES and played it.

RK128

Thanks for the write up!

So I guess I'll go MMX 1-5 and MMX 8

Unfortunately I've never played the original MM series in my life. Funny fact is that when I was a kid, I actually wanted MM7 for SNES, but my mom got me MMX. When I saw that I got X instead of 7, I was pretty sad and disappointed. I hated that I got X, because back then I saw it as the inferior Megaman.(Part of the reason was that I didnt get that dog that always follow him around in 7 :p) Of course that all changed when I finally put that cart in my SNES and played it.

Glad I was able to help :).

You should play X6 though, if only to see how badly the series fell before getting better again. I consider X6 to be the Sonic Boom of the Mega Man series, as it has good intentions but so much is botched, that its hard to get to the good parts of the game. Will cover in-depth thoughts on that when I cover it in the future though.

Its funny how MM7 released around the same time MMX came out XD! Capcom was cool in trying to make the Classic series a 'pillar' to the entire franchise with MMX, Legends and later Battle Network and MM Zero holding the fort down as time went on.

You should play X6 though, if only to see how badly the series fell before getting better again. I consider X6 to be the Sonic Boom of the Mega Man series, as it has good intentions but so much is botched, that its hard to get to the good parts of the game. Will cover in-depth thoughts on that when I cover it in the future though.

Its funny how MM7 released around the same time MMX came out XD! Capcom was cool in trying to make the Classic series a 'pillar' to the entire franchise with MMX, Legends and later Battle Network and MM Zero holding the fort down as time went on.

First of all X6 gets uneeded hate, I would say X5 isn't far from being as ad as X6, since the only real reason why X6 is considered among the worst is because the nightmare system pisses people off, and some people still believe Inafune was the series creator. When he was just a whiner.

X7 is the game that is bad. Oh boy. That one right there.

RK128

First of all X6 gets uneeded hate, I would say X5 isn't far from being as ad as X6, since the only real reason why X6 is considered among the worst is because the nightmare system pisses people off, and some people still believe Inafune was the series creator. When he was just a whiner.

X7 is the game that is bad. Oh boy. That one right there.

Will likely go back and change my thoughts on the game when I replay it for the retrospective.

Onemic

Ok. So going through the Mega Man nostalgia trip I'll play the games in this order:

Mega Man X 1-6, 8
Mega Man Zero 1-4, ZX, Advent
Mega Man Legends 1-2
Mega Man 1-10

The original Mega Man series is completely separate from the X series right?(This is the one thing that confused me about the X and classic series....Im not sure if Mega Man in the original series is the same Mega Man in X....Or the same Mega Man in Legends)

Besides the original series, I'd be going in chronological order story wise right? Do the games (X, Zero, Legends) show how each series connects in some way?

I already have Legacy Collection for Steam, I'll get 8 and X5 on my vita,(Already have X4 for the Vita), 9 and 10 for PS4, and I'll get X Legacy Collection for PS2, but I'll play it on PC. I'll figure something out for MM7.

Is Legends 2 going to be available on PSN anytime soon?

Ishida

Banned
The original Mega Man series is completely separate from the X series right?(This is the one thing that confused me about the X and classic series....Im not sure if Mega Man in the original series is the same Mega Man in X....Or the same Mega Man in Legends)

The series are connected, but Mega Man X is not the same character as the original Mega Man. They are both built by the same man, Dr. Light.

Mega Man Legends happens at the very end of the timeline, which is like thousands of years after the ZX series.

Timeline goes:

Classic (Protagonist: Classic Mega Man)
X (Protagonist: Mega Man X)
Zero (Protagonist: Zero)
ZX (Protagonists: Vent, Aile, Grey, Ashe)
Legends (Protagonist: Mega Man Volnutt)

Yes, they are out in Japan right now (I think?) and will likely come out this month for the annual 'Mega May' event (which will likely be paired with more MM games like Mega Man Soccer and Mega Man 64 for the Wii U VC).

Thanks to your awesome retrospective, I went and bought the 3DS version of MM1-6 collection. Hopefully X1-3 come out on eshop soon enough. I was going to go with the PS4 version of the LEgacy Collection, but figured trying to blow up these NES classics on a 65" screen could be torture even though they were remastered to 1080p.

The series are connected, but Mega Man X is not the same character as the original Mega Man. They are both built by the same man, Dr. Light.

Mega Man Legends happens at the very end of the timeline, which is like thousands of years after the ZX series.

Timeline goes:

Classic (Protagonist: Classic Mega Man)
X (Protagonist: Mega Man X)
Zero (Protagonist: Zero)
ZX (Protagonists: Vent, Aile, Grey, Ashe)
Legends (Protagonist: Mega Man Volnutt)

Of course this is something they pulled out their ass just like the Zelda timeline.

Outside the X thing, X always took place in the future.

SkyOdin

Besides the original series, I'd be going in chronological order story wise right? Do the games (X, Zero, Legends) show how each series connects in some way?
The Mega Man series timeline is pretty straightforward. All of the non-Battle Network sub-series can be arranged in a simple linear order.

First up are the original Mega Man games, which are set in the 20XX timeframe (the 21st century). These star the original Mega Man, who alao goes by the name Rock.

A hundred years later, in the 21XX timeframe (22nd century), a new robot named X wakes up. X is a robot who was also built by Dr. Light, but is a completely different one than the original Mega Man. By the end of the X games, the calandet date reaches 22XX.

The Mega Man Zero games pick up a century or two after the end of the X series, as Zero (the new protagonist) wakes up from a long slumber. The date is likely 23XX, but this is where the franchise starts to get more tight-lipped about which century it is.

The Mega Man ZX series follows after another time gap of roughly a century or two. So it could be anywhere from 24XX to 26XX. By this point, the term "Mega Man" has ceased to be a proper name, and is closer to be a title born by people who wield a certain power. In a first for the series, some of the possible playable characters are actually humans rather than robots.

Finally, Mega Man Legends is set 20,000 years after the original series. Much of the technology found in the ancient ruins of its world resemble stuff from the Zero and ZX games. The Legends games star a kid named MegaMan Volnutt.

The Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force games take place in their own, seperate, continuity.

The Mega Man series timeline is pretty straightforward. All of the non-Battle Network sub-series can be arranged in a simple linear order.

First up are the original Mega Man games, which are set in the 20XX timeframe (the 21st century). These star the original Mega Man, who alao goes by the name Rock.

A hundred years later, in the 21XX timeframe (22nd century), a new robot named X wakes up. X is a robot who was also built by Dr. Light, but is a completely different one than the original Mega Man. By the end of the X games, the calandet date reaches 22XX.

The Mega Man Zero games pick up a century or two after the end of the X series, as Zero (the new protagonist) wakes up from a long slumber. The date is likely 23XX, but this is where the franchise starts to get more tight-lipped about which century it is.

The Mega Man ZX series follows after another time gap of roughly a century or two. So it could be anywhere from 24XX to 26XX. By this point, the term "Mega Man" has ceased to be a proper name, and is closer to be a title born by people who wield a certain power. In a first for the series, some of the possible playable characters are actually humans rather than robots.

Finally, Mega Man Legends is set 20,000 years after the original series. Much of the technology found in the ancient ruins of its world resemble stuff from the Zero and ZX games. The Legends games star a kid named MegaMan Volnutt.

The Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force games take place in their own, seperate, continuity.

The timeline is straight forward.

But what games go with what in the timeline outside the OR and X were pulled out of nowhere later on. Maybe by Inafune to whine at Capcom again.

Also the Battle Network-Starforce timeline annoys me, YOu can't go from Internet and Roots to Radio wave and aliens, that evolution doesn't even make sense. SOmething had to happen inbetween maybe we will get that game som- nah, I mean Starforce was basically battle network but trying to use a new brand. But I'd still be interested. Maybe a Megaman Battle Network 7, remove that awful non ending maybe say it was a dream snake eater.

Onemic

Ah, thanks!

TreIII

First of all X6 gets uneeded hate, I would say X5 isn't far from being as ad as X6, since the only real reason why X6 is considered among the worst is because the nightmare system pisses people off...

Hardly.

Nightmare System is crap, don't get me wrong, but the game had other issues.

1) There's no excusing the game having bad level design. At best, it was mediocre. At worst, there was actually a possibility that you could actually get yourself stuck, and have no recourse but to exit out to Stage Select.

2) Controls. In their efforts to try and give Zero an attack utilizing seemingly almost every D-Pad + Button combo available on the PS pad, they created a situation where the control scheme often can work against you.

Hit the Buster/Special Weapon Button by accident while you were trying to duck, and Zero has his Ensuizan (the game's Circle Slash) Skill? Oh, you'll make Zero spin, alright. And he'll PROMPTLY get hit by whatever you were trying to dodge in the first place.

But my "favorite" example is probably Sentsuizan, Zero's diving saber skill, which is unfortunately mapped to Up + Saber Attack. So, if at any time you unfortunately pressed Up and Saber at the same time (y'know, like with any of those rope-grabbing sections), Zero would probably instead SWAN DIVE DOWNWARD, likely into a pit or spikes.

There was also a glitch in at least the original version of the game (not sure if the Collection fixed this), where sometimes using the Special Weapon button in mid-air for either character may make them do an Air Dash, instead. So, instead of shooting/slashing your target, your character may just decide to hit them with his face, instead. Awesome.

3) Because of the way the game worked with rescuing the hostages, you could permanently lock yourself out of getting that item you could've gotten from them for the rest of that playthrough, forcing you to reload from a save if you cared about getting it. As MM games tended to have the tradition of being able to retry a stage at any given time to go back for any items you may have missed, this system just worked as an outright antithesis to that much.

And that's just off the top of my head of what I could remember. But hey, at least X6 didn't have another forced vehicle section!

SkyOdin

The timeline is straight forward.

But what games go with what in the timeline outside the OR and X were pulled out of nowhere later on. Maybe by Inafune to whine at Capcom again.
I'm not sure why you think that. Most of the games are very explicit about their place in the timeline. The Zero games make a ton of references to events that happened in the X games, while the ZX games have very strong links to the Zero games. Meanwhile, pretty much every game made since the Legends games were released have made strides towards those games. Overall, the Mega Man franchise has a very strong sense of continuity that is present in the games themselves.

Also the Battle Network-Starforce timeline annoys me, YOu can't go from Internet and Roots to Radio wave and aliens, that evolution doesn't even make sense. SOmething had to happen inbetween maybe we will get that game som- nah, I mean Starforce was basically battle network but trying to use a new brand. But I'd still be interested. Maybe a Megaman Battle Network 7, remove that awful non ending maybe say it was a dream snake eater.
I dunno, the Star Force series felt like a natural progression from the Battle Network games to me. I liked the ending to Battle Network 6, and that the series had a definitive conclusion. So I'm glad that they moved on to build a new story.

If anything, the Star Force series feels a little too similar technologically to the Battle Network games considering that roughly 200 years have passed. It takes until the second and third games to really address that properly.

RK128

Thanks to your awesome retrospective, I went and bought the 3DS version of MM1-6 collection. Hopefully X1-3 come out on eshop soon enough. I was going to go with the PS4 version of the LEgacy Collection, but figured trying to blow up these NES classics on a 65" screen could be torture even though they were remastered to 1080p.

The bolded is one of the reasons why I make these; people going back to older games/series and giving them a shot.

Hope you have fun with the 3DS Legacy Collection :D!

Hardly.

Nightmare System is crap, don't get me wrong, but the game had other issues.

1) There's no excusing the game having bad level design. At best, it was mediocre. At worst, there was actually a possibility that you could actually get yourself stuck, and have no recourse but to exit out to Stage Select.

2) Controls. In their efforts to try and give Zero an attack utilizing seemingly almost every D-Pad + Button combo available on the PS pad, they created a situation where the control scheme often can work against you.

Hit the Buster/Special Weapon Button by accident while you were trying to duck, and Zero has his Ensuizan (the game's Circle Slash) Skill? Oh, you'll make Zero spin, alright. And he'll PROMPTLY get hit by whatever you were trying to dodge in the first place.

But my "favorite" example is probably Sentsuizan, Zero's diving saber skill, which is unfortunately mapped to Up + Saber Attack. So, if at any time you unfortunately pressed Up and Saber at the same time (y'know, like with any of those rope-grabbing sections), Zero would probably instead SWAN DIVE DOWNWARD, likely into a pit or spikes.

There was also a glitch in at least the original version of the game (not sure if the Collection fixed this), where sometimes using the Special Weapon button in mid-air for either character may make them do an Air Dash, instead. So, instead of shooting/slashing your target, your character may just decide to hit them with his face, instead. Awesome.

3) Because of the way the game worked with rescuing the hostages, you could permanently lock yourself out of getting that item you could've gotten from them for the rest of that playthrough, forcing you to reload from a save if you cared about getting it. As MM games tended to have the tradition of being able to retry a stage at any given time to go back for any items you may have missed, this system just worked as an outright antithesis to that much.

And that's just off the top of my head of what I could remember. But hey, at least X6 didn't have another forced vehicle section!

Megaman X5's stage design was also bad.

You literally copy and pasted your second point from someone else. Than spin attack is barely a problem, that's a glitch usually found in the X collection and not the original game.

Holy shit in fact almost your whole post is copy and pasted did you even play the game or did you go to mmhp.net?

Yeah top of your head lol.

I'm not sure why you think that. Most of the games are very explicit about their place in the timeline. The Zero games make a ton of references to events that happened in the X games, while the ZX games have very strong links to the Zero games. Meanwhile, pretty much every game made since the Legends games were released have made strides towards those games. Overall, the Mega Man franchise has a very strong sense of continuity that is present in the games themselves.

I dunno, the Star Force series felt like a natural progression from the Battle Network games to me. I liked the ending to Battle Network 6, and that the series had a definitive conclusion. So I'm glad that they moved on to build a new story.

If anything, the Star Force series feels a little too similar technologically to the Battle Network games considering that roughly 200 years have passed. It takes until the second and third games to really address that properly.

"most" therefore you proved my point,.

I throw Zero and ZX with the X series. Granted technically Zero series isn't canon even though the fans want it to (for the wrong reasons) but that's another story,

No it tidings it has a conclusion filled with unresolved holes, questions and continuity errors. The gave us a black screen saying that everyone got EXACTLY what the wanted, and half those occupations, like for dex for example, are out of character.

While Starforce has similarities it's core is not related to BN at all. Internet to Radio wave, robots to Aliens,along with being able to oddly form a consistent shape through fusion with these aliens which is also never explained what?

Also the third and second games don't really address it per se. They kind of go around it. But the thing is the fact of the matter is that Starforce gameplay wise is basically Battle Network, it it appears that is literally because Megaman Battle Networks brand ran out of steam. Of course, their plan didn't work. I'm actually surprised it got TWO sequels.

SkyOdin

"most" therefore you proved my point,.

I throw Zero and ZX with the X series. Granted technically Zero series isn't canon even though the fans want it to (for the wrong reasons) but that's another story,

No it tidings it has a conclusion filled with unresolved holes, questions and continuity errors. The gave us a black screen saying that everyone got EXACTLY what the wanted, and half those occupations, like for dex for example, are out of character.

While Starforce has similarities it's core is not related to BN at all. Internet to Radio wave, robots to Aliens,along with being able to oddly form a consistent shape through fusion with these aliens which is also never explained what?

Also the third and second games don't really address it per se. They kind of go around it. But the thing is the fact of the matter is that Starforce gameplay wise is basically Battle Network, it it appears that is literally because Megaman Battle Networks brand ran out of steam. Of course, their plan didn't work. I'm actually surprised it got TWO sequels.
I am having a lot of trouble following you I admit, but I have no idea where you are getting the impression that the Zero series isn't canon. Canon to what, even? I mean, the ZX games quite explicitly reference the Zero games. Characters and artifacts from the Zero games appear in the ZX games. So if you are going to declare the Zero games non-canonical, then the ZX games are also non-canonical (to what again?). And the Zero and ZX games were made to help better set up the Legends games, and work excellently as backstory for Mega Man Legends 1 and 2.

I can only presume that what you consider as "canon" is the later Mega Man X games, and you see the Zero games as some kind of contradiction to those. However, the later Mega Man X games reference the Zero games in Zero's endings. X6's Zero ending does so pretty specifically, while X7 and X8 do so more subtly. Furthermore, even if you see the games as contradictory, that doesn't make them non-canonical. You would need to cite some kind of source for that, since the only "canon" that is found in the games is either the presence or lack of references to other games in the series. By that metric, the original Mega Man series is the least canonical, which would be silly.

Now, as for the Star Force series, it seems that you are mostly just salty that they decided to stop making Battle Network games and instead create a new cast of characters. However, the Star Force series is set in the same universe and timeline as the Battle Network series, just 200 years later. The Star Force series is still about wandering around the internet and fighting viruses. The only difference is that everyone switched to Wi-Fi instead of wired connections, and social media took off big time. There are still Net-Navis chilling around, there are still viruses messing up computers that are cleverly disguised as normal objects, and elementary school students still get into way too much trouble for their own good.

Also, the fusion with aliens is pretty decently explained all things considered. You just have to accept the crazy physics that happen in the Mega Man franchise.
The aliens are made up of Z-waves, which are a type of EM wave that somehow turns physical objects into a type of EM wave. The existence of these Z waves would actually explain a thing or two about stuff that happens in the original Battle Network series, like the whole weirdness at the end of BN 2.

The bolded is one of the reasons why I make these; people going back to older games/series and giving them a shot.

Hope you have fun with the 3DS Legacy Collection :D!

I haven't played the MM games in years and some of them going back to the NES and SNES. That is how old I am. :) LOL!

Onemic

I haven't played the MM games in years and some of them going back to the NES and SNES. That is how old I am. :) LOL!

The original and X series were pretty much before my time. 7 was the first MM game that actually came out during the time that I was old enough to be aware of its existence and hype when it first launched(I was 6 when MM7 came out).

RK128

My first Mega Man game was Mega Man Network Transmission on the GameCube back in.....I think 2003? One of the early games I got for the system. Later got Mega Man 2 on the Wii VC and the X Collection + MMX8 in 2013/2014.

TreIII

Megaman X5's stage design was also bad.

Never contested to contrary, but certainly is not pertinent to the subject at hand.

You literally copy and pasted your second point from someone else. Than spin attack is barely a problem, that's a glitch usually found in the X collection and not the original game.

Holy shit in fact almost your whole post is copy and pasted did you even play the game or did you go to mmhp.net?

Yeah top of your head lol.

Impressive that you even bothered to look up her old gameplay and hints! That site brings back so many memories...

Funny story: Mandi Paugh (webmaster of said site) was one of several I used to talk to off and on many years ago, among the various "old heads" in the fandom. What can I say, her and Mechadrake's fan works and other site tidbits were things I loved to view back in my Middle/High School days, and I was a regular site visitor to a lot of MM fan pages. So, there's a good reason why my talking points sounds familiar. A lot of us talked about X6's issues in this same way!

So in the end, you caught me "citing" (more like recycling) some of our favorite talking points from discussions that date back some 15 years prior. Umm...congrats?

The original and X series were pretty much before my time. 7 was the first MM game that actually came out during the time that I was old enough to be aware of its existence and hype when it first launched(I was 6 when MM7 came out).

I had to of been around 11 when I first played MM in '88.

The Mega Man X games aren't out on the 3DS VC, even in Japan: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/software/vc.html

I'm hoping they at least do something for "Mega May."

I thought I had seen a list if SNES games coming to VC 3DS and these were on it. I hope they're still coming.

I had to of been around 11 when I first played MM in '88.

I thought I had seen a list if SNES games coming to VC 3DS and these were on it. I hope they're still coming.

I think it was on this info-graphic that it was one of the games coming out, at least in Japan, but they currently only have 8 SNES games on the New 3DS VC and none of them are Mega Man.

Onemic

Ohhhhh man. Im playing MMX again for the first time in over 15 years and the nostalgia is overflowing!

I still think that MMX has one of the best intro stages of any game period. It still feels cinematic in a way that's hard to describe. Hopefully this time I can actually beat the game. I remember I gave up after never being able to defeat more than 3 bosses. If I remember correctly I was only ever able to defeat Chill Penguin, Storm Eagle(My personal favourite stage), and Armored Armadillo. I actually went online and got a password to get all items and defeat all bosses to try and advance through the game....and I still couldnt beat it LOL.

This time I shall persevere!

I am having a lot of trouble following you I admit, but I have no idea where you are getting the impression that the Zero series isn't canon. Canon to what, even? I mean, the ZX games quite explicitly reference the Zero games. Characters and artifacts from the Zero games appear in the ZX games. So if you are going to declare the Zero games non-canonical, then the ZX games are also non-canonical (to what again?). And the Zero and ZX games were made to help better set up the Legends games, and work excellently as backstory for Mega Man Legends 1 and 2.

I can only presume that what you consider as "canon" is the later Mega Man X games, and you see the Zero games as some kind of contradiction to those. However, the later Mega Man X games reference the Zero games in Zero's endings. X6's Zero ending does so pretty specifically, while X7 and X8 do so more subtly. Furthermore, even if you see the games as contradictory, that doesn't make them non-canonical. You would need to cite some kind of source for that, since the only "canon" that is found in the games is either the presence or lack of references to other games in the series. By that metric, the original Mega Man series is the least canonical, which would be silly.

Now, as for the Star Force series, it seems that you are mostly just salty that they decided to stop making Battle Network games and instead create a new cast of characters. However, the Star Force series is set in the same universe and timeline as the Battle Network series, just 200 years later. The Star Force series is still about wandering around the internet and fighting viruses. The only difference is that everyone switched to Wi-Fi instead of wired connections, and social media took off big time. There are still Net-Navis chilling around, there are still viruses messing up computers that are cleverly disguised as normal objects, and elementary school students still get into way too much trouble for their own good.

Also, the fusion with aliens is pretty decently explained all things considered. You just have to accept the crazy physics that happen in the Mega Man franchise.
The aliens are made up of Z-waves, which are a type of EM wave that somehow turns physical objects into a type of EM wave. The existence of these Z waves would actually explain a thing or two about stuff that happens in the original Battle Network series, like the whole weirdness at the end of BN 2.

Don't be a child, I am not salty,t hat WAS the reason and the evidence is celarly there. Star force and MMBN share the same continuity yet the evolution between both doesn't make factual sense. The game was made to try and revive the rpg Megaman and it didin't work hence the rushed parts of the third game and the ending.

ZX and Zero do not set up nicely for the Megaman legends series, you don't seem ton now what "set-up" means, that would mean there would be a hint or something, vague or not, that kind of connects them together. No they do not.

X7 and X8 bring the X series plot to a completely different area than Zero is bringing it. That's going to become a problem if trying to continue from the ZX or X story line whether you like it or not.

Remember, X took out the last mavericks in the Zero series, even though now that's not possible because Reploids can now go maverick at will.

Never contested to contrary, but certainly is not pertinent to the subject at hand.

Impressive that you even bothered to look up her old gameplay and hints! That site brings back so many memories...

Funny story: Mandi Paugh (webmaster of said site) was one of several I used to talk to off and on many years ago, among the various "old heads" in the fandom. What can I say, her and Mechadrake's fan works and other site tidbits were things I loved to view back in my Middle/High School days, and I was a regular site visitor to a lot of MM fan pages. So, there's a good reason why my talking points sounds familiar. A lot of us talked about X6's issues in this same way!

So in the end, you caught me "citing" (more like recycling) some of our favorite talking points from discussions that date back some 15 years prior. Umm...congrats?

I like how you are evading the fact you didn't even play the game and copyed reasons from a site and used it to generalize consensus for the game when that's a bunch of crap. Congrats for you uh.. Not your own opinion?

TreIII

I like how you are evading the fact you didn't even play the game and copyed reasons from a site and used it to generalize consensus for the game when that's a bunch of crap. Congrats for you uh.. Not your own opinion?

Oh, I can assure you that I've played and completed the game multiple times in the last 15 years. I own the original version of the game, as well as have access to the port that's on the X Collection. Certainly enough to have formed my own opinion about it, and again, it's not kind.

The fact that I'm able to just roll off basic points from a memory that hails from a number of IM chats, BBSs and other MM fansites should just do more to showcase the same kinds of things X6 detractors have been saying for years on end. And obviously so, considering X6 has the reputation it does.

But hell, even I may not have gone so far to call X6 the "Sonic Boom" of the X series~!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
ZX and Zero do not set up nicely for the Megaman legends series, you don't seem ton now what "set-up" means, that would mean there would be a hint or something, vague or not, that kind of connects them together. No they do not.

X7 and X8 bring the X series plot to a completely different area than Zero is bringing it. That's going to become a problem if trying to continue from the ZX or X story line whether you like it or not.

Remember, X took out the last mavericks in the Zero series, even though now that's not possible because Reploids can now go maverick at will.
Are you Pentagon with a new username? lol

ZX/Zero do somewhat bridge the gap in art style and theme. I could reasonably see the world of ZX becoming the world of Legends.

X7 and X8 are canon to the series as the Jakob Orbital Elevator appears in ZX or ZX Advent, I believe. They don't contradict the story at all aside from Zero's X6 ending, which has been confirmed to take place after all X games. It's true we don't know what happened immediately after the Lumine business, but the Zero series tells us that X eventually found the Mother Elf and ended the Maverick Wars afterward.

SkyOdin

Don't be a child, I am not salty,t hat WAS the reason and the evidence is celarly there. Star force and MMBN share the same continuity yet the evolution between both doesn't make factual sense. The game was made to try and revive the rpg Megaman and it didin't work hence the rushed parts of the third game and the ending.
It is more likely that the creators of the Battle Network games just wanted to bring the series to a definitive conclusion. We know that the devs of the Zero games wanted an end to the story they were telling. Originally, Zero 1 was written as a stand-alone game. Then, when Capcom asked them to make more in the series, they came up with a plot arc for Zero 2 and Zero 3. Eventually, Capcom asked them to make another sequel, so they made Zero 4. Zero 4 plot spoilers:
The reason that Zero died at the end of Zero 4 was entirely to prevent the Zero series from continuing.

Game devs who write stories do like to see conclusions to their stories. I think that there are strong signs that Battle Network 3 was originally written to serve as a conclusion to the Battle Network games, since it resolves so many plot threads from all three of the first set of games. However, the series, like so many others, was extended past that originally planned end. Perhaps it was extended too far. In any event, I am inclined to believe that the end of the Battle Network series with BN 6 was the desire of the dev staff for the games. BN 6 and Zero 4 are just about the only occasions where that desire was properly respected by Capcom.
Mega Man Legends, Zero and ZX plot/world spoilers:
Neo Arcadia itself spun off from the idea of Elysium from Legends, which X talks about creating in one of the X5 endings. In the early planning stages for Zero 1, I am pretty sure that Neo Arcadia was still named "Heaven", the Japanese name for Elysium in Mega Man Legends 2. Basically, they are two different iterations of the same concept. Considering that Neo Arcadia is built around the Jacob orbital elevator from X8 (and yes, this is canonical), then it is entirely plausible that the Elysium from Mega Man Legends was originally built during the Mega Man Zero era.

Now, in Mega Man Zero 3, Ciel invents a new energy source which is referred to as the Ciel System. In the Mega Man ZX games, you can see large scale power plants based on this system in various locations. These power plants take the appearance of large crystalline flowers hovering in the air, one of which can be seen in the power generator of an airship. A large refractor-like crystal is also seen earlier in a power plant stage in Mega Man Zero 3. I think that there is some pretty decent evidence that the refractor technology seen in the Legends games was based on technology developed during the Mega Man Zero games.

Of greater importance is how Mega Man ZX tells the story of how the lines between human and reploid become ever more blurred, which is important to establish the Carbons of the Mega Man Legends series. Likewise, the proliferation of feral mechaniloids in the ZX games, some of which even have the distinctive red "eye" of the Reaverbots.

There is even the shift in the meaning of the name "Mega Man" from a given name to something more like a title, as in Mega Man Juno, the final boss of Legends 1.

The stuff that happens in X7, X8, and Command Mission don't really contradict much. X8 and Command Mission contradict each other more than they contradict the Zero games. The ability of Copy Reploids to go Maverick doesn't contradict the idea that the Maverick Wars ended with what was described in the backstory to the Zero games. The Zero games were deliberately fuzzy with the details of how the X games played out. If you have some contradictions in mind, you might need to spell them out.

poodaddy

My favorite game series of all time.... I wish Capcom liked X and Zero half as much as I do. Good stuff OP.

It is more likely that the creators of the Battle Network games just wanted to bring the series to a definitive conclusion. We know that the devs of the Zero games wanted an end to the story they were telling. Originally, Zero 1 was written as a stand-alone game. Then, when Capcom asked them to make more in the series, they came up with a plot arc for Zero 2 and Zero 3. Eventually, Capcom asked them to make another sequel, so they made Zero 4. Zero 4 plot spoilers:
The reason that Zero died at the end of Zero 4 was entirely to prevent the Zero series from continuing.

Game devs who write stories do like to see conclusions to their stories. I think that there are strong signs that Battle Network 3 was originally written to serve as a conclusion to the Battle Network games, since it resolves so many plot threads from all three of the first set of games. However, the series, like so many others, was extended past that originally planned end. Perhaps it was extended too far. In any event, I am inclined to believe that the end of the Battle Network series with BN 6 was the desire of the dev staff for the games. BN 6 and Zero 4 are just about the only occasions where that desire was properly respected by Capcom.

Mega Man Legends, Zero and ZX plot/world spoilers:
Neo Arcadia itself spun off from the idea of Elysium from Legends, which X talks about creating in one of the X5 endings. In the early planning stages for Zero 1, I am pretty sure that Neo Arcadia was still named "Heaven", the Japanese name for Elysium in Mega Man Legends 2. Basically, they are two different iterations of the same concept. Considering that Neo Arcadia is built around the Jacob orbital elevator from X8 (and yes, this is canonical), then it is entirely plausible that the Elysium from Mega Man Legends was originally built during the Mega Man Zero era.

Now, in Mega Man Zero 3, Ciel invents a new energy source which is referred to as the Ciel System. In the Mega Man ZX games, you can see large scale power plants based on this system in various locations. These power plants take the appearance of large crystalline flowers hovering in the air, one of which can be seen in the power generator of an airship. A large refractor-like crystal is also seen earlier in a power plant stage in Mega Man Zero 3. I think that there is some pretty decent evidence that the refractor technology seen in the Legends games was based on technology developed during the Mega Man Zero games.

Of greater importance is how Mega Man ZX tells the story of how the lines between human and reploid become ever more blurred, which is important to establish the Carbons of the Mega Man Legends series. Likewise, the proliferation of feral mechaniloids in the ZX games, some of which even have the distinctive red "eye" of the Reaverbots.

There is even the shift in the meaning of the name "Mega Man" from a given name to something more like a title, as in Mega Man Juno, the final boss of Legends 1.

The stuff that happens in X7, X8, and Command Mission don't really contradict much. X8 and Command Mission contradict each other more than they contradict the Zero games. The ability of Copy Reploids to go Maverick doesn't contradict the idea that the Maverick Wars ended with what was described in the backstory to the Zero games. The Zero games were deliberately fuzzy with the details of how the X games played out. If you have some contradictions in mind, you might need to spell them out.

Yes there is a contradiction unless you retcon the plot and if you retcon the plot you create holes.

Also someone forgot what the "ancients" in legends are. So there's no relation to anything on earth as those are supposedly "not humans" that created "all the humans" and that is not touched upon at all in Zero or ZX in anyway shape or form. You belive that those are related to the Carbons yet Legends makes it very clear Carbons are directly Humans and that the "ancients" are not and they CREATED the humans. There is no retcon that anyone can use to fix that. You can claim that the "ancients" were reploids but then how did they create the humans? Are all the real humans dead? That doesn't make much sense.(also that Mega Man thing that Juno etc. have I think you are reading to much into it.) IN fact your own admission that Zero 3 was ethnically not supposed to happen just had them making connections without checking how that works.

I understand the logic you are using but you seem to be making assumptions based on possible implications instead of what the games are actually saying.

Also there can't be an end to the maverick wars (at least with how the zero games imply it ended) if reploids can go maverick at will. Shape shifting and copying are still things through Zero and ZX. Zero implies that X destroyed the virus through a certain means to kill SIgma. This is where the problem happens.

Also wtf is Dr.wily and Dr.light, because if we are to go with Whiney Inafunes original plan wtf happened at the end of X5 that would make sense to lead into the Zero series?

TreIII

The stuff that happens in X7, X8, and Command Mission don't really contradict much. X8 and Command Mission contradict each other more than they contradict the Zero games.

And there might be a reason for that, going by quotes from the 20+5 anniversary text.

Higurashi: "Command Mission" is technically a spin-off, so even though it takes place in 22XX, it's not necessarily the same "22XX" during which the "Zero" series takes place. Still, we didn't want to cut it off completely just because it's a spin-off. Our goal was to incorporate some of the "Zero" series' flavor in order to make it feel like "Command Mission" is still connected to the other games, like it is part of the same family. So it might be easier if you regard "Command Mission" not as "a story that takes place between X7 and the Zero series", but rather as "one of many potential futures that exists independently from the Zero series".
- http://forum.rockmanpm.com/index.php?topic=7234.10;wap2

CM always came off as more of another "alternate timeline" deal anyway, so I always thought that explanation made perfect sense.

And there might be a reason for that, going by quotes from the 20+5 anniversary text.

- http://forum.rockmanpm.com/index.php?topic=7234.10;wap2

CM always came off as more of another "alternate timeline" deal anyway, so I always thought that explanation made perfect sense.

X command mission actually seems like a sequel to X8 considering there's zero sigma and copy chips are involved in the main plot.

There are a few things that move it away from x8 but some that do. I sometimes feel like they wanted it to be one since they were both in development at the same time, but didn't want to change what they had.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel like Command Mission is best viewed as an alternate universe with some things that are the same as the primary universe. Which is admittedly pretty convoluted, but it makes sense that they'd want to distance it from Zero while expanding on the Mega Man world at the same time.

SkyOdin

Yes there is a contradiction unless you retcon the plot and if you retcon the plot you create holes.

Also someone forgot what the "ancients" in legends are. So there's no relation to anything on earth as those are supposedly "not humans" that created "all the humans" and that is not touched upon at all in Zero or ZX in anyway shape or form. You belive that those are related to the Carbons yet Legends makes it very clear Carbons are directly Humans and that the "ancients" are not and they CREATED the humans. There is no retcon that anyone can use to fix that. You can claim that the "ancients" were reploids but then how did they create the humans? Are all the real humans dead? That doesn't make much sense.(also that Mega Man thing that Juno etc. have I think you are reading to much into it.) IN fact your own admission that Zero 3 was ethnically not supposed to happen just had them making connections without checking how that works.
Okay, I see where the problem is. You made a big mistake about the backstory of Mega Man Legends. Here is the thing:
by the start of the Mega Man Legends series, all humans are dead. An extremely important plot point is that Mega Man Volnutt possesses a fragment of the DNA of the Master, the last human who ever lived. He has this fragment, because he followed the Master's orders to kill him. The people that appear in the legends games are not human. They are the Carbons: artificial humanoids who were created by the robots of Elysium. They are themselves are clearly not actually human. You only have to look at the Bonne family to see that. All of the people in the Legends games are artificial human-machine hybrids. Even the way the way that MegaMan Volnutt can so casually replace his entire arm with a new weapon shows off how casually they take advantage of their inherent inhumanity.

Mega Man Legends takes place 20,000 years in the future. The ancients of that period would clearly be the people of today. Even people who lived 10,000 years after the events of Mega Man ZX would be considered incredibly ancient to the people of the Legends games.

I understand the logic you are using but you seem to be making assumptions based on possible implications instead of what the games are actually saying.

Also there can't be an end to the maverick wars (at least with how the zero games imply it ended) if reploids can go maverick at will. Shape shifting and copying are still things through Zero and ZX. Zero implies that X destroyed the virus through a certain means to kill SIgma. This is where the problem happens.

Also wtf is Dr.wily and Dr.light, because if we are to go with Whiney Inafunes original plan wtf happened at the end of X5 that would make sense to lead into the Zero series?
The Maverick Wars coming to an end doesn't imply that no more Mavericks appeared. On the contrary, Mavericks continued to exist in the ZX games and even into the era of the Master System. Mega Man Trigger was a Maverick Hunter (that's what an S-class Purifier is). After the death of the Master, he is categorized as a Maverick (they just use the term Aberrant). The Reaverbots are nothing more than feral Mavericks, just like the ones from the ZX games.

The term Maverick Wars is just a reference to the violent period of conflict that defines the X series. It collectively refers to the all of the X games. After that, the amount of conflict caused directly by Mavericks drops off dramatically, and the world generally becomes more peaceful. That doesn't mean that Mavericks have gone away completely, it just means that they stop having the power to destabilize the world.

Besides, the Zero games never mention Sigma. Ever. I think any reference to the backstory of the Zero games revolving around the elimination of the Sigma virus in particular comes from suspect sources such as promotional websites made years after the fact. It is less canonical than any of the games themselves.

I do have to ask: why do you think that this particular detail is such a big deal? You are calling for six whole mainline Mega Man games to be considered noncanonical because of one detail that doesn't even appear in the games themselves. Neither Capcom nor anyone in it has ever made the claim that any Mega Man game is "noncanonical". As someone posted above, they have described the Command Mission games as an alternate branch, but even that isn't the same thing as noncanonical, and might even be somewhat unnecessary to make sense of the Mega Man franchise. Your hyperbolic comparisons to the Zelda timeline are certainly off-base, since the Mega Man timeline is fairly stable and mostly made in chronological order (with the main exception of Mega Man Legends and a few cases of series running in parallel).

Zetta

Thank you for this write up OP, one which has led me to listen to the whole ost. I think I've heard Boomer Kuwanger's theme like 100 times, love it so damn much.

RK128

Thank you for this write up OP, one which has led me to listen to the whole ost. I think I've heard Boomer Kuwanger's theme like 100 times, love it so damn much.

That theme is a personal favorite too :). Happy you enjoyed my OP :D!

Onemic

After 18 years, I've finally beat Mega Man X! I had to start abusing save states for Sigmas last form though. That fight is just straight up cheap.

I also realized a big reason why I had so much trouble when I played this as a kid was that I didnt know how to use sub tanks and I didnt know certain bosses were weak to certain buster powers. Using both made the game WAY easier than before and actually makes the difficulty pretty low until the final boss fight.

Gotta say, without viewing this retrospective I never would have bothered trying to play this game again. Thanks OP!

RK128

After 18 years, I've finally beat Mega Man X! I had to start abusing save states for Sigmas last form though. That fight is just straight up cheap.

I also realized a big reason why I had so much trouble when I played this as a kid was that I didnt know how to use sub tanks and I didnt know certain bosses were weak to certain buster powers. Using both made the game WAY easier than before and actually makes the difficulty pretty low until the final boss fight.

Gotta say, without viewing this retrospective I never would have bothered trying to play this game again. Thanks OP!

No problem :D! Happy you went back to play the game again :).

Okay, I see where the problem is. You made a big mistake about the backstory of Mega Man Legends. Here is the thing:
by the start of the Mega Man Legends series, all humans are dead. An extremely important plot point is that Mega Man Volnutt possesses a fragment of the DNA of the Master, the last human who ever lived. He has this fragment, because he followed the Master's orders to kill him. The people that appear in the legends games are not human. They are the Carbons: artificial humanoids who were created by the robots of Elysium. They are themselves are clearly not actually human. You only have to look at the Bonne family to see that. All of the people in the Legends games are artificial human-machine hybrids. Even the way the way that MegaMan Volnutt can so casually replace his entire arm with a new weapon shows off how casually they take advantage of their inherent inhumanity.

Mega Man Legends takes place 20,000 years in the future. The ancients of that period would clearly be the people of today. Even people who lived 10,000 years after the events of Mega Man ZX would be considered incredibly ancient to the people of the Legends games.

The Maverick Wars coming to an end doesn't imply that no more Mavericks appeared. On the contrary, Mavericks continued to exist in the ZX games and even into the era of the Master System. Mega Man Trigger was a Maverick Hunter (that's what an S-class Purifier is). After the death of the Master, he is categorized as a Maverick (they just use the term Aberrant). The Reaverbots are nothing more than feral Mavericks, just like the ones from the ZX games.

The term Maverick Wars is just a reference to the violent period of conflict that defines the X series. It collectively refers to the all of the X games. After that, the amount of conflict caused directly by Mavericks drops off dramatically, and the world generally becomes more peaceful. That doesn't mean that Mavericks have gone away completely, it just means that they stop having the power to destabilize the world.

Besides, the Zero games never mention Sigma. Ever. I think any reference to the backstory of the Zero games revolving around the elimination of the Sigma virus in particular comes from suspect sources such as promotional websites made years after the fact. It is less canonical than any of the games themselves.

I do have to ask: why do you think that this particular detail is such a big deal? You are calling for six whole mainline Mega Man games to be considered noncanonical because of one detail that doesn't even appear in the games themselves. Neither Capcom nor anyone in it has ever made the claim that any Mega Man game is "noncanonical". As someone posted above, they have described the Command Mission games as an alternate branch, but even that isn't the same thing as noncanonical, and might even be somewhat unnecessary to make sense of the Mega Man franchise. Your hyperbolic comparisons to the Zelda timeline are certainly off-base, since the Mega Man timeline is fairly stable and mostly made in chronological order (with the main exception of Mega Man Legends and a few cases of series running in parallel).

Again, if all the real humans were dead, how did they create the Carbons? They don't' specify who created the carbons or how they are just there. I know all the "human humans" are dead. But a lot of 2's plot expect you to play a game that doesn't exist. A lot of people complain about Legends 2's plot for a reason. Not to mention the masters reason to directly get trigger to permanently end humanity because uh.. The carbons were happy? I mean they could still make humans and place them somewhere I mean...Of course granted the master let Megaman decide, just that one part of those two options seems dumb. Also Megaman choose to save the Carbons, for some reason that isn't explained.

The Reaverbots aren't mavericks they are tasked with protecting the ruins. You are looking into stuff too much. Half the people trigger kills that aren't Reavers aren't maverick either they were trying to fullfill the original object and a lot of them didn't even know what the hell was going on (juno is a great example)

I was using the original plt that was Inafunes head and it's also implied in the Zero series that X killed Sigma.

Also, no, I didn't in fact you said the opposite a couple posts ago so Have no idea how you are reading theses posts, just one at a time out of context as their own thing? I mean you even said hyperbolic comparisons when that would mean I would have to have compared it not only more than once but emphasis they were the same thing, all I said that they started pulling the plot out their ass and that's a fact. Heck there wasn't even supposed to be a ZX or 3 zero sequels for that matter.

Anyway, Zero requires Zero to be dead after at least X6. that doesn't happen. Copy chips go in a different direction than where Zero was heading which was human/robot merging. Reploids being able to go maverick at will is also a completely different direction, it changes the whole course of Mavericks being crazy or rouge, and effectively removes them from the picture entirely. It also caused an issue because a game where they try to bridge the Weil thing into the Zero series from say, X8 can't possibly happen without contradictions based on what the Zero games tell us and imply happened during that time period. The Sigma virus also was supposed to end in X3, which many people seem to forget, but in X8, the one thing that removes him forever is literally Reploids no longer being able to go maverick out of insanity. Also don't get me started on the MMZ "original body" thing, that whole thing where Omega had Zeros real body and at some point Zeros mind was transplanted to a new one (yet guys still say he is centuries old) yet looks nothing like Zeroes original body, are the type of desperation plot ass pulls I'm talking about.

Bottom Line, the series plot is a disaster, but fun to play.I'll at least give the continuity in the BN arc at least something. Granted that's also full of holes, but those games aren't trying to take itself seriously (until starforce anyway)

Top Bottom