• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X – Blue Bomber of the Future

PseudoViper

Megaman is a classic! Definitely one of my favorite platform games of all time.

Megaman 8 IS the BEST in the franchise.

Megaman is a classic! Definitely one of my favorite platform games of all time.

Megaman 8 IS the BEST in the franchise.

I think 8 may well be the best of the original series anyway imo. Since Megaman 8 is the peak of evolution for the series with new and old mechanics all tossed in. It pretty much as far as the gameplay can go.

RK128

I think 8 may well be the best of the original series anyway imo. Since Megaman 8 is the peak of evolution for the series with new and old mechanics all tossed in. It pretty much as far as the gameplay can go.

I love the presentation of MM8 honest :). Great OST, lovely animations and some fun gimmicks sprinkled across the different levels.

Onemic

Wow, that's the first time I've seen people praising MM8. I see a lot of people say it's terrible. Along with 7. But like X5 and X8, I'm not sure if it's just because of MM fatigue or NES nostalgia.

Why do you think so?

RK128

Wow, that's the first time I've seen people praising MM8. I see a lot of people say it's terrible. Along with 7.

Why do you think so?

While you comment isn't directed at me, I enjoyed both MM7 & 8 a lot. They feel like the NES games coming its logical conclusion on a few levels; the presentation took advantage of the hardware, elements of MMX (intro stage) bleed their way into the Classic series, and the levels start having more 'gimmicks' to make every robot master stage different.

They also pushed for more exploration (MM7's many collectible items & MM8's Bolt Collection) and again, the presentation in both games are strong.

The controls 'feel' different then NES Mega Man games but if people prefer the 8-Bit styles, you can even play 8-Bit versions of MM7 & MM8 :D!

Great pair of games and will be a lot of fun covering both for this Retrospective.

PseudoViper

I love the presentation of MM8 honest :). Great OST, lovely animations and some fun gimmicks sprinkled across the different levels.

OMG yesssssssssssssssssssssss! The animation is superb, the OST is superb, like I'm just in love with that game. I was just playing it two weeks ago and was saying to myself wow this game has aged sooooooooooooooo well. I don't see how people don't like it. Great mechanics, great level design, just awesome all around. It's a masterpiece IMHO.

Wow, that's the first time I've seen people praising MM8. I see a lot of people say it's terrible. Along with 7. But like X5 and X8, I'm not sure if it's just because of MM fatigue or NES nostalgia.

Why do you think so?

Because of the sound effects and voice acting. Along with its easy difficulty.

But that easy difficulty is the result of taking most of the series mechanics from previous games and throwing them together instead of stripping one to make the game more difficult (example, in MM4, if you get hit while charging you are still charging. In MM5, if you get hit while charging you lose the charge.)

Most were mixed though, I don't know where the terrible thing came from. But fans and reviewers were mixed mostly because of that. MM8 is pretty much as far as you can go, or at least the furthest THEY MADE the series go without going backwards. From new and old mechanics, to having almost all weapons on the screen at once, Music quality, level design, side weapons, rush, making items from bolts, etc. It threw everything in it. The only original Megaman Game that came close is Megaman & Bass followed by Megaman V Gameboy.

Onemic

Because of the sound effects and voice acting. Along with its easy difficulty.

But that easy difficulty is the result of taking most of the series mechanics from previous games and throwing them together instead of stripping one to make the game more difficult (example, in MM4, if you get hit while charging you are still charging. In MM5, if you get hit while charging you lose the charge.)

Most were mixed though, I don't know where the terrible thing came from. But fans and reviewers were mixed mostly because of that. MM8 is pretty much as far as you can go, or at least the furthest THEY MADE the series go without going backwards. From new and old mechanics, to having almost all weapons on the screen at once, Music quality, level design, side weapons, rush, making items from bolts, etc. It threw everything in it. The only original Megaman Game that came close is Megaman & Bass followed by Megaman V Gameboy.

Oh, only because of the difficulty? How hard is it compared to MMX, considering that game is considered to be very easy minus Sigma and people didnt take that as a huge negative?

Also what do you think of MM7?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Anyway, Zero requires Zero to be dead after at least X6. that doesn't happen. Copy chips go in a different direction than where Zero was heading which was human/robot merging. Reploids being able to go maverick at will is also a completely different direction, it changes the whole course of Mavericks being crazy or rouge, and effectively removes them from the picture entirely. It also caused an issue because a game where they try to bridge the Weil thing into the Zero series from say, X8 can't possibly happen without contradictions based on what the Zero games tell us and imply happened during that time period. The Sigma virus also was supposed to end in X3, which many people seem to forget, but in X8, the one thing that removes him forever is literally Reploids no longer being able to go maverick out of insanity. Also don't get me started on the MMZ "original body" thing, that whole thing where Omega had Zeros real body and at some point Zeros mind was transplanted to a new one (yet guys still say he is centuries old) yet looks nothing like Zeroes original body, are the type of desperation plot ass pulls I'm talking about.

Bottom Line, the series plot is a disaster, but fun to play.I'll at least give the continuity in the BN arc at least something. Granted that's also full of holes, but those games aren't trying to take itself seriously (until starforce anyway)
Zero's X6 ending doesn't have him dead at all, and it takes place after all subsequent X games. Zero's original body looks different because of art style; plot-wise, it looks the exact same as it always has. The Zero series absolutely takes itself seriously, especially compared to the games before it, with a continuous narrative across all four games and constant callbacks to the X series before it. Nothing in X8 with the copy chips contradicts the story with Weil or the Elf Wars - that's a different story entirely.

Zero's X6 ending doesn't have him dead at all, and it takes place after all subsequent X games. Zero's original body looks different because of art style; plot-wise, it looks the exact same as it always has. The Zero series absolutely takes itself seriously, especially compared to the games before it, with a continuous narrative across all four games and constant callbacks to the X series before it. Nothing in X8 with the copy chips contradicts the story with Weil or the Elf Wars - that's a different story entirely.

You first sentence contradicts the first sentence of the quote you made, try reading that again.

Also yes it does. Unless you forgot what backstory they did give us for that.

Oh, only because of the difficulty? How hard is it compared to MMX, considering that game is considered to be very easy minus Sigma and people didnt take that as a huge negative?

Also what do you think of MM7?

I added more than the difficulty but ok. Also MM8 is arguably the easier in the series across all the games with the exception of possible Megaman Gameboy 1. Even Megaman X4 is easier than Megaman 8. Don't get me wrong 8 has areas that are out there but they don't really change much overall.

Megaman 7 IMO suffers from Hitbox issues mostly because the sprites are big, but also have like zero flexibility and are stiff. So when you are in the air you kind of have no control,

Other than that the game is fine.The hitbox thing is more of an issue for fast enemies and some Bosses so it's not too bad. The attention to detail, especially for secret paths is nice. The rush dig system however is mostly BS without a guide. Beat was an interesting addition as well in the form of saving you from pits. Liked the fight with Protoman though too short.

Along with Htiboxes and Rush dig, the game has a difficulty spike from good to pretty hard. Then there's that final boss.

Ovid

I love MMX.

The series is a true and worthy successor to the OG Mega Man games.

It's a shame Capcom doesn't do anything with the IP.

Top Bottom