• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X6 - Nightmares of Reploid

Syril

Because he comes out of a recovery pod at the start of X4 which he is a playable character. He wasn't "missing" like in X6, where at the end of X5 all he that was found was his Saber.
I always figured it was some kind of sleep pod thing since he talks about dreaming and stuff.

jmdajr

So PS1 games still don't work on PS4.

I guess I didn't really care until I felt like playing X4 again.

oh well..

:'(

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
This isn't true at all. WIth Falcon armor, you can use a charge shot followed by the air dash or the giga attack to damage him. He's also a secret area boss so I think you are reaching for a straw here.

OK. Let me rephrase. It's entirely possible to stumble upon him really early on in the game, not realizing you've stumbled upon a secret area, and not knowing you need to have equipped Falcon Armor, and become stuck with no way to beat him. I can state this with certainty because it happened to me my first time playing the game.

vala

OK. Let me rephrase. It's entirely possible to stumble upon him really early on in the game, not realizing you've stumbled upon a secret area, and not knowing you need to have equipped Falcon Armor, and become stuck with no way to beat him. I can state this with certainty because it happened to me my first time playing the game.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me, on the stage of Metal Shark Player...

Why would you play X6 without armor? Also I'm going to be honest, Not telling you have not been to a secret area is a little, uh, odd considering the secret areas are all basically marked.

The only stage were I can possibly see that mistake happening is after you take out the giant robot in infinitys stage but even then the screen jumps to the right.

jdkluv

I'll always defend this game. It's an unfinished mess at times, but at others, it's hinting at something spectacular. It's a huge shame X6 was rushed out the door, because I enjoy it a lot more than X5 and it *could* have been one of the best games in the X series.

Things it did good and improved from X5:

- Alia is now ignorable and won't interrupt gameplay.
- You can skip text in cutscenes.
- Power-ups are now tied to the character and not individual armors.
- Rescuing Reploids is far more risky/rewarding. You can lose a Reploid, but if you save them, you could potentially get a useful power-up.
- Power-ups are actually useful and desirable.
- The game does not start you with the end-game secret armor minus the Giga Attack like X5 did with the Force Armor, which is literally just the Ultimate Armor without Nova Strike, and the ONLY one you will ever need until you get Ultimate.
- Armors are actually useful outside of item hunting, and some stages greatly benefit from having one or the other.
- Zero controls better, his animations feel smoother and quicker. Best Zero moveset in the entire PS1 trilogy.
- Some of the weapons are actually pretty neat, especially when charged.
- Zero's buster is useful and well worth the ground only limitation.
- X's rank is no longer determined in the asinine way it was in X5.
- Game offers an impressive (lol) level of challenge.
- Bosses don't scale with your level, so you don't have half hour boss rematches with giant lifebars.
- The story feels natural and flows from X5's end well -- Gate is a fleshed-out villain for being a one shot, and allows for enrichment of Alia's character as well.
- The soundtrack is phenomenal.
- Dynamo's back and his improved boss fight is better and more fun than it was in X5.

Things it did badly:

- Nightmare effect is a very half-baked idea that looked good in concept, but was executed terribly. That shit is inexcusable.
- Reploids are high risk-high reward, but are often placed very annoyingly over bottomless pits or other places where it's easy for Nightmares to get to them, since they can go through walls, but hard for you to get in time.
- Some stages are blatantly unfinished, short, broken and/or poorly implemented. Blaze Heatnix's stage is stuffed with filler mini-bosses.
- Shield Sheldon's stage is ridiculously short if you go for the boss and not the alternate path.
- Some bosses have very poor animation. See Shield Sheldon.
- Stages often overwhelm you with objects flying at you from everywhere faster than you can react or defend yourself.
- That jump at the beginning of Gate's Laboratory 1 expects you to have the right loadout to deal with it (unless you play as Zero). It's not impossible, but it is a frustrating jump to do with anything but the right equipment (such as the Blade/Shadow Armor or using Ice Burst).
- It's far too easy to encounter High Max when you can't harm him. The game doesn't tell you what those portals are -- you go through it because it's there, and suddenly, unbeatable boss. At first it's Nightmare Zero, and well, you'd expect perhaps for there to be no more bosses in that room, when the game surprises you.
- While power-ups are tied to the characters instead of armors and have more slots, you have to unlock slots by increasing your rank.
- The plot becomes "LEL SIGMA AGAIN" when it really probably shouldn't have, at least not in the way that it did it.
- The piss-poor localisation. "There is no one else is left to fight." "There are few Reploids or humans are left on the Earth."
- Most bosses are very weak to Zero's buster for no reason. Saber-cancelling is also far easier to do now with Zero's new swinging animation.
- Blade Armor's wannabe plasma shot is very wonky and doesn't always work properly.
- Black Zero is unobtainable through "legitimate" means due to a stupid developmental oversight. You get Black Zero by beating Nightmare Zero at level 4, which is only possibly through beating all the 8 bosses. However, once you beat all 8, Nightmare Zero and High Max no longer appear and are replaced with Dynamo, making Level 4 Nightmare Zero impossible to fight. Nightmare Zero actually changes to make his AI smarter at Level 4 as well, so this is especially stupid.

Obligatory HideofBeast video.

- It's far too easy to encounter High Max when you can't harm him. The game doesn't tell you what those portals are -- you go through it because it's there, and suddenly, unbeatable boss.
- The plot becomes "LEL SIGMA AGAIN" when it really probably shouldn't have, at least not in the way that it did it.

Obligatory HideofBeast video.

A. Again if you can't figure out you've been in a secret room I have to start asking questions, they make it very obvious which path is normal and which bath is the secret room. In fact, the only time they don't barely, is Infinitis stage with the giant robot, and even then they swing the camera right when you move.

B. No it doesn't, the plot is Gate and then Gate apparently brought back Sigma, that was only for a piece of the game, the plot wasn't about Sigma the "whole" time as you imply. Which actually makes sense given what research Gate was working on.

jdkluv

A. Again if you can't figure out you've been in a secret room I have to start asking questions, they make it very obvious which path is normal and which bath is the secret room. In fact, the only time they don't barely, is Infinitis stage with the giant robot, and even then they swing the camera right when you move.

Please don't put words in people's mouth. New players have no clue they'll fight High Max inside the portals.

And I can very well figure out when I enter into a secret area. The problem is there's a few intances where I ended up entering the portals by accident, such as in Commander Yammark's stage.

B. No it doesn't, the plot is Gate and then Gate apparently brought back Sigma, that was only for a piece of the game, the plot wasn't about Sigma the "whole" time as you imply. Which actually makes sense given what research Gate was working on.

"LEL SIGMA AGAIN" as in "Sigma is back AGAIN!", not "Sigma was behing EVERYTHING!". Gate revived Sigma by working with a sample of the virus he found in Zero's DNA, attempting to bend Sigma to his will in the process. He reconstructed the virus out of scientific curiosity, but his work was unfinished, which ultimately led to Sigma's half-completed state in X6. Sigma had spread the virus in X5, exerting himself beyond his regenerative capabilities -- his mental state in X6 is a reflection of this.

Please don't put words in people's mouth. New players have no clue they'll fight High Max inside the portals.

And I can very well figure out when I enter into a secret area. The problem is there's a few intances where I ended up entering the portals by accident, such as in Commander Yammark's stage.

"LEL SIGMA AGAIN" as in "Sigma is back AGAIN!", not "Sigma was behing EVERYTHING!". Gate revived Sigma by working with a sample of the virus he found in Zero's DNA, attempting to bend Sigma to his will in the process. He reconstructed the virus out of scientific curiosity, but his work was unfinished, which ultimately led to Sigma's half-completed state in X6. Sigma had spread the virus in X5, exerting himself beyond his regenerative capabilities -- his mental state in X6 is a reflection of this.

Negative, it has been said here multiple times you would "accidentally" fight him and be stuck. Which would require you to go through the portals.The guy I quoted above even SAYS this. Again if you can't tell what a secret room is then I have to start asking questions. Especially since you have to go in one to fight Zero and beat him for High Max to appear anyway.

Also no, it was said the "plot was basically Sigma again" that can only be interpreted one way.

The rest of your bottom post is odd and is basically your own speculation of what happened. Gate claimed to have revived Sigma, but Sigma said he wasn't alive. Gate clearly didn't even know he could control Sigma, he even said "I really shouldn't do this" I have no idea where you are getting this trying to control Sigma thing from.

Also no, SIgma didn't exert anything, you fought him at the end of X5. The virus goal was to crash the colony, no matter what path you take the colony is gone by the time you reach the first level of whatever unknown area you start heading toward Sigma. The virus doesn't keep spreading, the virus was already on the planet since the start of the game.

Also the Zero Virus and the Sigma Virus are not the same and X5 and X6 tell you this clearly. not only that, the Nightmare was a success, he didn't use Sigma for any of that. The Nightmare itself did what gate wanted to do, kill low level (what does that even mean?) reploids or take them over and make them go maverick. It's creating things with Zero's DNA that he couldn't succeed in. The Investigators (some of sthem) and High Max were Gates creations. Also apparently his battle body. Also likely Isac although him dying didn't make sense.

Verder

Man I sure did love that op to X6 though . It was a peak in my childhood .

I even did a cover for it in my talent show in school .

I was embarrassed

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Recall not thinking it was the train wreck I was led to believe at launch, but it did have some glaring level design issues(and of course saving all the nightmare reploids can be a frustrating process due to this).

Once you start unlocking the various armor suits, it all falls into place though, and it can even be really enjoyable as you are exploring and maneuvering the environment past deadly obstacles in a manner never seen before in a MM game.

Sadly the journey to unlocking many of those cool suits can test even the most ardent MM alum and will likely push most away before even unlocking a single one...

RK128

Hello everyone!

Been a long time since I posted about my Retrospectives but I feel an update is in order! I will be continuing the Retrospective in 2017 with posts covering the Battle Network series, the remaining X titles and more.

But first I want to share a review my good friend and fellow 3WIREL writer Verzu Chase published. It is on Mega Man X6 and I hope you all enjoy it!

http://3wirel.lostsig.com/2016/12/17/megaman-x6-review-the-nightmare-continues-psx-2001/

This review presents a different perspective on the game that I never considered before, so I hope you all like it.

My MM Retrospective was a success and I will start posting more MM Retrospectives in Feb/March 2017.

Top Bottom