• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 announced for the 3DS

wwm0nkey said:
Japanese PSN, you can put ANY PSX game on your PSP if you have custom firmware though.

SalsaShark said:
Im talking psx with custom firmware

but apparently there was a psp version in japan
Way to rip my heart out...I was just about to head out to the mall too.

Well I'm sure with the excitement of Legends 3, that Capcom will release the first two and hopefully the Tron Bonne spin off for PSN. Hopefully.

wwm0nkey

yurinka said:
Well, it was released in August 4th, 2005 (Japan only). Half a year after the console was released. It bombed in sales.
I think a 3DS relaunch of 1 & 2 for $30 at retail would sell a lot. Also release them on XBLA and PSN as well.

wwm0nkey said:
I think a 3DS relaunch of 1 & 2 for $30 at retail would sell a lot. Also release them on XBLA and PSN as well.
I still think bundling them for free in DASH 3 would be best... If the memory on the cartridge allows that is. I'm sure both games wouldn't occupy more than a gig total, would they?

wwm0nkey

SwiftSketcher said:
I still think bundling them for free in DASH 3 would be best... If the memory on the cartridge allows that is. I'm sure both games wouldn't occupy more than a gig total, would they?
You want people to catch up on the story first though, releasing them Before 3 would be the best option. Also yes both should easily fit onto that 2 gig card.

wwm0nkey said:
You want people to catch up on the story first though, releasing them Before 3 would be the best option. Also yes both should easily fit onto that 2 gig card.
I just don't see the incentive of people going out to purchase the first two games separately being that strong. The experiment on the PSP bombed. The XBLA/PSN release would be good too if they ever finally did it. I'm honestly baffled as to what the legal reasons preventing these games from arriving on PSN could be. Are they out on the Japanese PSN store?

wwm0nkey

SwiftSketcher said:
I just don't see the incentive of people going out to purchase the first two games separately being that strong. The experiment on the PSP bombed. The XBLA/PSN release would be good too if they ever finally did it. I'm honestly baffled as to what the legal reasons preventing these games from arriving on PSN could be. Are they out on the Japanese PSN store?
They need to advertise it though and release it in all regions. Also if there is enough demand (which on capcom-unity there is) to release it on PSN and XBLA im sure it will be considered.

duckroll

wwm0nkey said:

I really don't see why they would sell "a lot" at all. The popularity of MML is pretty... low to be honest. There is a loud vocal fanbase of small numbers. The games aren't really that popular. They were also pretty much total non-events in Japan. I don't believe a single Rockman Dash game ever sold even 100k.

wwm0nkey

duckroll said:
I really don't see why they would sell "a lot" at all. The popularity of MML is pretty... low to be honest. There is a loud vocal fanbase of small numbers. The games aren't really that popular. They were also pretty much total non-events in Japan. I don't believe a single Rockman Dash game ever sold even 100k.
well the selling " a lot" thing was in my head really, but what I really think the Legends/Dash series really needs is a huge viral advertising push from the fans.

Gravijah

wwm0nkey said:
well the selling " a lot" thing was in my head really, but what I really think the Legends/Dash series really needs is a huge viral advertising push from the fans.

Just hope it sells enough to guarantee us another.

What's with this crap with having the fans "help" develop the game? Game designers, don't be retarded. Take control of your own project, and keep fans away so we don't get some crappy fan-fiction-feeling load of crap.

Azure J

KeeSomething said:
What's with this crap with having the fans "help" develop the game? Game designers, don't be retarded. Take control of your own project, and keep fans away so we don't get some crappy fan-fiction-feeling load of crap.

Honestly, when I was there at the panel listening to the idea behind the Legends 3 Project, I was kinda feeling the same way. Some of my fears were alleviated (somewhat) though when the slides progressed and showed that there's no real focus on gameplay or storyline decisions for the game. Most of the things being decided on are superficial, like the looks of the new heroine (Ishikawa's, Kaji's or bust), suggestions for VA, and boss character/creature/robot submissions.

Disclaimer: I could wind up horribly wrong about all of this and yet I'd still play the fuck out of this. It's a daring move one way or the other and since Legends is a series very near and dear to myself, I pray that it's an explosion of fuck awesome instead of fan pandering and "wat" everywhere! :lol

duckroll

KeeSomething said:

Fans are not really going to "help" Capcom develop the game. This entire angle is part of the marketing of the game, and it is meant to give the smaller (but more hardcore) fanbase of the series a chance to have some input into some of the things in the game so they feel an ownership in the game. The reason for this is so Capcom can hopefully build a stronger community around the game long before its ever released. This will, in their eyes, hopefully result in the fanbase telling more of their friends about he game, being more passionate about it, and resulting in maximum sales for the title, however limited.

Luigiv

duckroll said:
Fans are not really going to "help" Capcom develop the game. This entire angle is part of the marketing of the game, and it is meant to give the smaller (but more hardcore) fanbase of the series a chance to have some input into some of the things in the game so they feel an ownership in the game. The reason for this is so Capcom can hopefully build a stronger community around the game long before its ever released. This will, in their eyes, hopefully result in the fanbase telling more of their friends about he game, being more passionate about it, and resulting in maximum sales for the title, however limited.
Yep. On top of this the kind of stuff they do let the fans in on, will be stuff that will genuinely benefit from this kind of interaction. Take the current new heroine design vote happening. This is the kind of thing that would have been decided by vote anyway and since it's something simple that anyone can understand and have a wholly relevant opinion about, the more voters the better.

duckroll said:

but wouldn't there be potential backlash from the losers who participate in the voting and don't get their choice picked? if it was this easy to make stronger community with your fanbase, Sucker Punch might want to try to make poll for their Cole.

As long as fan input is limited to areas that do not require any actual expertise (like, say, picking a design they like) then I'm all for it.

robor

Pureauthor said:
As long as fan input is limited to areas that do not require any actual expertise (like, say, picking a design they like) then I'm all for it.

I'm hoping for at least this.

duckroll

Callibretto said:
but wouldn't there be potential backlash from the losers who participate in the voting and don't get their choice picked? if it was this easy to make stronger community with your fanbase, Sucker Punch might want to try to make poll for their Cole.

I don't really understand your point. The fanbase for something like Infamous is very different from the niche hardcore Japanese-gaming orientated fanbase that MML has.

duckroll said:
I don't really understand your point. The fanbase for something like Infamous is very different from the niche hardcore Japanese-gaming orientated fanbase that MML has.

Out of curiosity, are you a fan of the games, duckroll?

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
Out of curiosity, are you a fan of the games, duckroll?

I'm a fan of Tron Bonne! And err.... I believe in Kawano-san! Maybe! Not sure if that counts. If Tron Bonne isn't a major part of the game, I might not even play it!

yurinka

duckroll said:
In part, this is true. Fans won't decide key parts of the game design or development. As you say, this is something mainly for marketing purpouses.

But they will decide some things that aren't important for the game, just details, but in some cases very important for the hardcore fans. And this small niche is the entire market of this game, so better hear them if you want to succed.

Maybe to choose between several visual designs candidates for some characters. Maybe to decide between certain characters who is the one to appear in a cameo as a NPC secondary character. Maybe to decide between 3 or 4 videos what is going to be the official trailer. Maybe to decide the main theme of the game between some candidates. And things like that.

Often game companies use focus testing to check the feedback of the people in certain areas of the game, in order to know how the users would react in front of these things in the final game. If they would like them or not, if they prefer something in a way or in another, etc.

It may sound stupid, when you are developing a game sometimes you are too focused in your ideas and misses to implement something "important" in the proper way, not in the way your ego thinks it's the best one. And a random people -specially the fans- quickly notices it.

They won't follow 100% of what the fans demand. But they will get some great ideas from them(sometimes even for another games too). And in a game like this, focused to a really small niche of hardcore fanbase, is really important to know what they want, and how, to keep them happy and succed.

I work in a game company were we also do this "community driven development" approach. And it works. Both in the marketing side (keeping the fans happy and enlarging virally the fanbase) and in the development side (improving the quality of the product, better focus in what your market wants, targeting fails and getting some fresh ideas).

If you are trying to do it using polls in a hardcore forum like gaf for a casual game like Wii Sports, or a new IP, you may fail. But it isn't the case. To check the community is really important when you are focusing a closed and stablished fanbase.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
The first Mega Man Legends made it to Greatest Hits in the US, so it has some fan base. If this game is really early in development, it may be in Capcom's interest to port the 3 old Legend Games to the 3DS and clean up the graphics a bit, like they ported the first 3 Ace Attorney games while making the 4th (Despite me being almost certain the only reasons the DS got AA1 and Mega Man Battle Network 5 is to have the engines ready for use with AA4 and Mega Man Star Force, and AA catching on in NA was a huge fluke, but I can't see them wanting to use to much of the MML2 Engine)

I got this poster at NY Comic Con

umwsY.jpg

:D

Pre

I have a bad feeling about the community development thing. Most gamers don't have a clue as to what goes into good game design (myself included) and so far the "Devroom" discussion just seems like a huge clusterfuck of shitty to mediocre ideas. Inafune just needs to make the game without fan input.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, most fan inputs involve...

ZOMG ZERO AND SIGMA AND BASS AND X AND STUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

B.K.

Pre said:
I have a bad feeling about the community development thing. Most gamers don't have a clue as to what goes into good game design (myself included) and so far the "Devroom" discussion just seems like a huge clusterfuck of shitty to mediocre ideas. Inafune just needs to make the game without fan input.

The poll for the design of the new female character is probably as far as the fan input will go.

B.K. said:
The poll for the design of the new female character is probably as far as the fan input will go.
No, they actually said that it was the first of many fan input segments.

They plan to take cameras into the studio and show us a lot more than what they normally would.

Pietepiet

I honestly don't believe that they will let the fans turn this game into shit. It's a dream project for them too, and having it ruined by fans just because they promised we would have input on the game is something I don't think they will let happen.

People are being too paranoid.

Pietepiet said:
I honestly don't believe that they will let the fans turn this game into shit. It's a dream project for them too, and having it ruined by fans just because they promised we would have input on the game is something I don't think they will let happen.

People are being too paranoid.

Seems fan input is basically just voting on themes and characters, so that's fine.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Some bits from an Interview with Tatsuya Kitabayashi at Comic Con (via Protodude)

* Capcom is well aware of the demand for the original voice cast to return, namely Rob Smith (Teisel Bonne). They want to involve these voice actors in some way but will be revealing more details about this soon.

* The game's story is still in development; nothing is set in stone. However, Kitabayashi did confirm the game will continue after the events of Legends 2; he promises we won't be left hanging. On a related note, Capcom is considering having fans that are writers come up with "episodes" for the game.

* Kitabayashi couldn't talk about how big of a role the new heroine will have but alluded that she's just as important as Roll and Tron.

* Why Legends 3 on the Nintendo 3DS and not a home console? Simply put, Capcom thought the title would work well with the system's various elements. That and apparently the 3DS is fairly easy to develop for, according to Kitabayashi.

* The game will utilize the 3DS touch screen; wouldn't divulge how it would be used. Bear in mind, the touch screen does not support 3D.

* L3 will retain a lot of familiar gameplay elements from its prequels, but because games have progressed so much in the last ten years, expect to see some advancements.

* Monster Hunter staff members will be lending a hand in L3's development; as such, don't be surprised to see some MH flare thrown into the gameplay.

* The character designs have improved since ten years ago, but they're still the same characters you all know and love. Capcom will actually be releasing images of the cast very soon.

* Yes, Tron and the Servbots are back. Kitabayashi (jokingly) said there might be more Servbots this time around...

* Kitabayashi will look into getting Mega Man Legends 1 and Legends 2 on the North American PlayStation Store. It's unlikely Mega Man 64 will make it to the Virtual Console, however.

Full video interview

Monster Hunter staff members will be lending a hand in L3's development; as such, don't be surprised to see some MH flare thrown into the gameplay.

If by this they mean more giant Reaverbots/Tron Mechas, I'm game.

jett

D-Member
MML did big ass bosses before Monster Hunter, anyway. I've been playing a bit of MML2, it's still a good game I gotta say, it has aged really well...and thank jebus someone on the devteam had the foresight to include support for dual analog controls. :p

jett said:
MML did big ass bosses before Monster Hunter, anyway. I've been playing a bit of MML2, it's still a good game I gotta say, it has aged really well...and thank jebus someone on the devteam had the foresight to include support for dual analog controls. :p
I didn't know it has dual analog support, that's awesome. It's been so long since I've played those games...

Pureauthor said:
Monster Hunter staff members will be lending a hand in L3's development; as such, don't be surprised to see some MH flare thrown into the gameplay.

If by this they mean more giant Reaverbots/Tron Mechas, I'm game.
I've thought of other possibilities:

1. It means the game will have a 4 player co-op mode.

2. It means that the bosses don't stay in their lairs and now you have to chase them all over the map when they flee.

3. It means healing items will cause Megaman to go through a ten second animation where he pulls the item out of his pack, pops open the tab, take a long sip, and pats his stomach a few times to aid digestion.

4. It means Megaman gets to kill the same bosses over and over in the hopes of scavenging rare components needed to upgrade his weapons and/or armors.

Scythesurge said:
I got this poster at NY Comic Con

:D
HATE YOU. GIMMIE.

Found this via the megaman network at the Reploid Research Lavatory? There were already concepts in in store for DASH 3 long ago. They were revealed in a community website as comments from the devs to the users on the website. Now that the sequel is on it's way, we may very well see their musings for the next game in this 3Ds sequel! Cool stuff.

Reploid Research Lavatory said:
Some concepts… Some things we had thought about and planned out while working on 2, but left out so we could use it later. Actually, the design for Rockman Trigger’s original appearance was one of those things. (We had even planned on using it in 2 for a while…) But, until DASH 3 comes out, we can’t really show you or tell you too much about it. Those kinds of things are really best experienced in the games themselves. Well, tell you guys what, if we go 5, or even 10 years and DASH 3 still hasn’t come out, we’ll find some way to show you all, “this is what we were going to do!”

On the implementation of the charge shot:

There just wasn’t enough time. But the truth of the matter was, we were also thinking “the controls have to be simple to use.” When it comes to the charge shot, you normally think “hold the button down to charge it up,” but as was the case with DASH we assigned that usage to “rapid-fire.”

Compared to the “Rockman” and “X” games, “DASH” uses far more buttons to navigate. That can make the play control a bit harried. That’s why we decided on rapid fire, to give the player a break when it comes to learning the actions. And that’s pretty much why the charge shot disappeared.

[...]Aha! We might’ve just hit upon a really good method to make it work! Oh, but it’s currently a secret. It’s probably too late to use in the next game, though.

The purpose of Bon Bonne:

After everything else, you’re probably wondering how Bon Bonne fits in. It’s true, we do have a basic outline of his past, but we haven’t divulged it just yet. When we do, you’ll probably go “Woah, so it’s really like that!”

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Lionel Mandrake said:
Tiesel is so underrated. And his voice actor was the only one who didn't phone it in.
Pretty much. Scrap the rest of the voice actors for all I care, just not his.

AzureJericho said:
KGUrl.jpg

Fucking hyped here. :D

Obligatory. One of my favorite lines ever

EDIT: OMG BEATEN BY MERE SECONDS. High Five Boney!

Capcom is well aware of the demand for the original voice cast to return, namely Rob Smith (Teisel Bonne). They want to involve these voice actors in some way but will be revealing more details about this soon.

This good, ESPECIALLY since Teisel had the BEST lines. I'm curious though, if they're "aware" of this, does that mean Tron's MvC3 VA is in fact, Caroly Larson?

Top Bottom