• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaton rumor: Shenmue 1 & 2 may be heading to the Wii!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenbatsu

_Alkaline_ said:
Ugh, this will be horrible (if true).
Not really, my friend's Dreamcast is spoiled and he can't play his Shenmue which he havnt even complete as he was wasting too much time exploring every corner of the world. This port will be a blessing for him.

Phthisis said:
WHERE WERE YOU IN 2001 WHEN WAGGLE NEEDED YOU!? IT NEEDED YOUUUUUUUUUU...!!!!!
Wait... what?

I was probably playing through Shenmue for my fortieth time and envisioning how the game would work if I made it.

I've long been a waggle proponent.

commissar

Thunder Monkey said:
Shenmue was a game waiting for the Wii controller.
I agree. Shenmue definitely felt like it needed something more interactive.

Though the mention of minigames in the rumour makes me very sad.
Ah well, I'd still buy it again.

Phthisis

Thunder Monkey said:
Wait... what?

I was probably playing through Shenmue for my fortieth time and envisioning how the game would work if I made it.

I've long been a waggle proponent.

So even though waggle hadn't been thought of yet when Shenmue came out, you were roaming the city streets shouting "Shenmue needs waggle!"?

Phthisis said:
So even though waggle hadn't been thought of yet when Shenmue came out, you were roaming the city streets shouting "Shenmue needs waggle!"?
Not really.

It's kind of hard to explain.

I expected some form of motion sensing to be commonplace in the gaming arena by now. It just made too much sense when watching a child get into a game, and twisting the controller like mad.

Most of my "design docs" dating from as early as 2000 feature some partially retarded uses of accelerometers in game control. The beautiful thing about the Wii, is it's addition of an IR sensor on top of the waggle.

edit: I didn't notice one part of your post.

Waggle was around before the turn of the century. MS had a fairly basic motion sensing controller for the PC. A form of the SideWinder.

jeremy1456

The overuse of the word "Megaton" is really weakening it's meaning.

Honestly Shenmue and Megaton should not be in the same sentence ever, except when saying "A new shenmue release is not a megaton".

RiZ III

...that would suck. Shenmue really isn't for the Wii target audience.

Lol, the real megaton was extremely weak to begin with, so the word has always been kind of a joke.

jeremy1456

RiZ III said:
...that would suck. Shenmue really isn't for the Wii target audience.

Well it quite obviously wasn't for the Dreamcast target audience, or the Xbox target audience either based on sales.

General statements like yours make no sense when the market hasn't been tested for such a title.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
jeremy1456 said:

Honestly Shenmue and Megaton should not be in the same sentence ever, except when saying "A new shenmue release is not a megaton".

You subscribe to the definition that a "megaton" must result in utter disappointment, right?

If not, you got some 'splaining to do.

Is this a thread about non wii owners whinning about some game that shouldnt come to wii?

DEJA VU i tell you JA VU.....i mean its not like the wii has right to have non mini games....

professor_t said:
Shenmue would sell about 7 copies on the Wii.
I bet it'd surpass the Xbox version of Shenmue 2.

Wouldn't have far to go either. If it would hit the 100,000 unit mark it would beat out the Xbox version by close to 25,000 units.

To be honest after the series sold like it did, I'd be Sega would be more then happy with it hitting the 50,000 unit mark. That'd be 1.5 million units total for the series.

grap3fruitman said:
I want HD Shenmue, not Waggle Shenmue; also: Shenmue 3. D:
The only way continuing the franchise would make any sense at all is by lowering costs. The engine would look like crap running on the 360, but it'd be easy for it to run well on the Wii. And it'd sadly be one of the better looking games for the platform too.

Pachael

Alright, minigame speculation:

Spoilers since I note some haven't played Shenmue 1 or 2

- Use Wiimote to simulate wiping the walls
- Use Wiimote to balance a load of books
- Use the nunchuck and the remote as left hand and right hand during QTEs and fighting, so eg. to throw you'll swing the nunchuck/remote both back or both front.
- Tilt the Lucky Hit board with the remote to increase chance of winning
- Forklift control could use nunchuck for movement and wiimote for lifting up or down
- Catching leaves with the wiimote could be exciting as you'll have to physically thrust the wiimote forward (as your right hand) to catch leaves
- Wiimote balancing on those stupid wooden planks

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
Why not? Sega has rereleased Nights on ps2, and made a sequel in the past year, and are also making ANOTHER Nights sequel in the horizon.

Why make a Nights sequel and rerelease Nights and not Shenmue, which deserves it SO much more?

Wait there is another NiGHTS on the way?

dont care. still waiting for shenmue 3. also i dont think sega would stress themselves in bringing shenmue 1&2 to wii. its too much work to make the game run flawlessly on that hardware and optimize the controls. i dont see it happening.

buy a DC to play shenmue 1&2

suaveric

so they're going to take a hardcore game that didn't set the world on fire on hardcore systems and try and sell it on THE casual system?

J2 Cool

QTE could be pretty sweet with this. That, combined with mini-games of darts, space harrier. The motorcycle in Shenmue 1. Wii also has a really nice userbase. There may be a slight chance of Japan creating some sales if it's a nicely packaged Shenmue 1&2 together. That is if the slight chance that the rumor has some truth to it. HOPE'S ALIVE!

The Hermit

:lol :lol
Imagine how people will react if Shenmue 3 is released only on the Wii.
Seeing how it went at the NPD thread, people might start slitting their wrists...

EDIT: I remember that Nights originally started as a small buzz that kept growing until it was released, so this could and even sounds true too...

Too bad the game sucks.

I'd buy it, Just to show my kids that such a crazy thing existed. I recently gave my copy of Shenmue away in the "free to a good home" thread, cause I was never funna play that game again, anyway.

J2 Cool

Pellham said:
So about as much as it sold on the DC then?

Shenmue (1.2 million)

The DC's collapse right at the time of Shenmue II, and bringing a sequel out to Xbox, w/o ever releasing the first game hurt the franchise badly. It might not have been DC's savior, but the original game sold well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
depward said:
Dude, I did NOT like my time playing with Shenpoo. It was... yeah. I want that chunk of my life back.

You really should consider calling it Shitpoo from now on, you know, to complete the devastation.

N-E-ways, put me down for 1 Shenmue 1+2 Wii, Sega.

J2 Cool

Baiano19 said:
:lol :lol
Imagine how people will react if Shenmue 3 is released only on the Wii.
Seeing how it went at the NPD thread, people might start slitting their wrists...

EDIT: I remember that Nights originally started as a small buzz that kept growing until it was released, so this could and even sounds true too...

Too bad the game sucks.

People complaining about what system it's released on? I don't think Shenmue 3 released in videogame form would receive any complaints from the series' fans. That's the epitomy of "beggers can't be choosers". The only dissapointment I could imagine would be if they lost a great fighting system to something simplified for the Wii controller. But it would still be finishing the story, so who cares.

acidviper said:
Do not want. I tried to play 1, its just not fun at all.

I liked 1, but can get why somebody wouldn't like it.

2 is much better. But I think it'd be impossible to enjoy playing for the first time now.

You should probably focus on games from the last 5 years.

J2 Cool said:
People complaining about what system it's released on? I don't think Shenmue 3 released in videogame form would receive any complaints from the series' fans. That's the epitomy of "beggers can't be choosers". The only dissapointment I could imagine would be if they lost a great fighting system to something simplified for the Wii controller. But it would still be finishing the story, so who cares.
People thought the fighting was great?

I thought it was a slower and more simplified version of Virtua Fighter. Good, but so not the point of the game.

Everything else I agree with.

If it does come, no one should complain. No matter the platform. The alternative is never getting it.

I would purchase this. Never played Shenmue 2, and in Shenmue 1 I found a gamebreaking bug that wouldn't let me finish it when I was like 80-90% through the game.

duffey

I don't really get the point of this (if this is true, but I doubt it) unless they actually continue the saga. The sequel ends on a cliffhanger and not making a third game if this comes out would just bring out the heartbreak again.

I have no idea how the series would play on Wii but if it can get some quality sales there (doubtful) I'm all for it. Anything for my Shenmue 3 to have the slightest breath of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom