• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I am on like day five of no shampoo, and I only get compliments.
ioqEoqj.png

I went to an Ulta to look at their men's section of hair products, and as I talked to one of the girls there I mentioned that I was only conditioning and not shampooing (this was back in October). She practically exploded at me and said that was the worst thing I could do to my hair. Buildup and poor water quality, which was in fact pretty bad in my town, would lead to poor follicle health, she reasoned. Always thought it was bullshit and she was just trying to sell me shit, but eventually I did start using AC moisturizing shampoo just to keep my hair smelling nice.

I went to an Ulta to look at their men's section of hair products, and as I talked to one of the girls there I mentioned that I was only conditioning and not shampooing (this was back in October). She practically exploded at me and said that was the worst thing I could do to my hair. Buildup and poor water quality, which was in fact pretty bad in my town, would lead to poor follicle health, she reasoned. Always thought it was bullshit and she was just trying to sell me shit, but eventually I did start using AC moisturizing shampoo just to keep my hair smelling nice.
Honestly, I think the results speak for themselves. She was clearly biased on that issue considering she was trying to sell you stuff. A bunch of us go no-shampoo for weeks and the results are great.

Of course, everyone's hair is different.

BadTaste

Make sure your diet is in check. Make sure you're getting a diverse amount of nutrients (kale, spinach, chard, 2-3 eggs a day will cover most bases).

Yup doing that. It's not as bad as it used to be, i'd end up with a clump of hair on my hands after applying conditioner. There's considerably less hair coming out since improving my diet but it still happens, probably gonna see a doctor about it.

Cruz

Neo Member
i went to a shop to body crew gel and shampoo but only sell to people with a license of some sort for only hair stylist ???

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
i went to a shop to body crew gel and shampoo but only sell to people with a license of some sort for only hair stylist ???

It's nothing out of the ordinary. They're stores for stylists to buy materials for use in the salon at a significant discount. There are, for example, restaurant supply stores that serve a similar purpose, but whereas you don't need a license to be a cook, a stylist has to pay for a yearly license to legally cut and style hair.

Alright men, going into a reputable barbershop for the first time since I was six to get cut. Kinda nervous since I only get one to two cuts a year.

This is me now:

This is what I'd liked to get after watching Ocean's 11 recently:

I'd like to have kept it growing, kind of like how Jared Padelecki's hair looks, but at its length and weight, the hair is always flopping down in my face. Not sure what optimal product I could use to keep it up and away, but the appointment is already made, so c'est la vie.

Rookje

Let us know how it goes. If I were you though I would get a mid length cut at a stylist rather than go to a barbershop. That way you could try a different style before you cut it all off (which you will cut several inches off to go to that Clooney look -- which, honestly, is pretty basic. It only looks remarkable on him cause he's Clooney.)

Have them use thinning scissors and razor cut your hair to try to add layering/texture.

Let us know how it goes. If I were you though I would get a mid length cut at a stylist rather than go to a barbershop. That way you could try a different style before you cut it all off (which you will cut several inches off to go to that Clooney look -- which, honestly, is pretty basic. It only looks remarkable on him cause he's Clooney.)

Have them use thinning scissors and razor cut your hair to try to add layering/texture.

Just got back, and it was not up to standards. I forgot to save the picture to my phone, so I just opted to say to the girl that I wanted a side part, nothing fancy, just traditional and Draper-esque. I wanted to leave some length on the sides because my head looks rather blocky when the sides are buzzed too low.

She proceeded to buzz the sides down low and take too much off the top. My hair doesn't lie flat right now, it sticks upward like a porcupine, which is the worst part of it. Instead of a more suave look I look like a bro fixing to go clubbing. Shit sucks. I went to this place because I heard it was one of the more reputable shops in Milwaukee.

It'll grow back, so I'm not too pissed. Just bummed temporarily.

Duno why but I dont really trust female barbers.
Getting a haircut you dont like sucks majorly, especially as you have to faux like it and pay the same as a cut you would have actually liked. Hate when it happens.

Damn man that sucks.

My hair grows pretty damn fast, so I'd expect it to be where I'd like it to be in a month or so. It's just the wait till then that'll bother me. As of right now it doesn't feel like me at all. Next time I go I'll just bring a picture and say "That."

The waiting area didn't even have books to page through for looks, just books about manliness and how to properly back up a truck.

Rookje

Just got back, and it was not up to standards. I forgot to save the picture to my phone, so I just opted to say to the girl that I wanted a side part, nothing fancy, just traditional and Draper-esque. I wanted to leave some length on the sides because my head looks rather blocky when the sides are buzzed too low.

She proceeded to buzz the sides down low and take too much off the top. My hair doesn't lie flat right now, it sticks upward like a porcupine, which is the worst part of it. Instead of a more suave look I look like a bro fixing to go clubbing. Shit sucks. I went to this place because I heard it was one of the more reputable shops in Milwaukee.

It'll grow back, so I'm not too pissed. Just bummed temporarily.
Be detailed when you describe what you want. If you're doing a new style inspired by a picture or exact look (like that Clooney one) bring in the picture. Don't be embarrassed by that, the barber will respect you a lot more than just saying "give me a traditional look." She knows you're a person who knows what they want.

Its like when I demand hand over scissors vs using a trimmer. They want to be lazy and use the trimmer but if they know you're legit they'll use the hand over scissors. The trimmer is for plebs. Another reason I won't go to the barber.

Don't go to a barber either, go to a stylist.

For now, just play with your hair. Use different products. Try putting in product while its damp, try blowdrying it then putting in product, etc. You can probably work with what you got.

Be detailed when you describe what you want. If you're doing a new style inspired by a picture or exact look (like that Clooney one) bring in the picture. Don't be embarrassed by that, the barber will respect you a lot more than just saying "give me a traditional look." She knows you're a person who knows what they want.

Its like when I demand hand over scissors vs using a trimmer. They want to be lazy and use the trimmer but if they know you're legit they'll use the hand over scissors. The trimmer is for plebs. Another reason I won't go to the barber.

Don't go to a barber either, go to a stylist.

For now, just play with your hair. Use different products. Try putting in product while its damp, try blowdrying it then putting in product, etc. You can probably work with what you got.

Yeah, I think my lack of specifics was what doomed me the most. I get two haircuts a year at most, so I never really remember what to tell the stylist consistently. I'm just dreading going to school and work in the morning if I can't figure out how to make this work before then. I fucking HATE spiky hair, and that's exactly what I have, it's so short. Sticks up even soaking wet. It's silly, but I'm feeling legitimately distressed. Can't remember a time ever walking out of a shop dissatisfied.

Luckily where I live there are no shortage of stylists when it's time for me to get it right. I just went to this place out of the hype.

Honestly, I think the results speak for themselves. She was clearly biased on that issue considering she was trying to sell you stuff. A bunch of us go no-shampoo for weeks and the results are great.

Of course, everyone's hair is different.
How often do you wash your hair with just water, if at all?

kaskade

Slept on it, and I guess it isn't so bad. All my co-workers have responded enthusiastically to it:

Still not a fan of the spikiness, but I think a month or so and it'll lie flat again.

Yeah, I think it looks pretty good. Sometimes you just have to get used to the difference. My cut from my new barber is pretty good but the length in the front is a little shorter than I would've liked. Like you, I'm sure it'll look good in a couple of weeks.

Still though, having shorter hair again feels nice, so much less work.

Rookje

Slept on it, and I guess it isn't so bad. All my co-workers have responded enthusiastically to it:

Still not a fan of the spikiness, but I think a month or so and it'll lie flat again.

That's not bad at all. I like it.

You can fix the spikiness with product. Besides, a little bit of that isn't bad.

Rookje

How do you guys go no shampoo while using products?

Or is that the whole point of no shampooing? (that you don't use products)

Water. If you use tons of product or use wax your hair will start to feel gucky and you may need to shampoo at that point. Can also use conditioner.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've been doing the whole no shampoo thing for 2-3 months now, and I'm really loving it. I use American Crew Pomade which is water soluble and pretty much completely washes away whenever I run it under water for a while.

I like how my hair feels without shampoo - very thick and wavy. I work in a little pomade while my hair is still wet to give it some shape but once it dries my hair regains its wavyness and looks fantastic. I'll be sticking with this routine for a while.

How often do you wash your hair with just water, if at all?
I wash my hair every time I shower. So every day, if not twice a day.

How do you guys go no shampoo while using products?

Or is that the whole point of no shampooing? (that you don't use products)
I make sure and rinse product out of my hair before I go to bed. I'm on a pomade kick right now so fortunately for me, it washes out pretty easily.

Joe

Depends how you prefer it to look. Scissors create a softer more natural look and the person doing it can more easily adjust for the shape of your head or bumps. Buzzer will create a sharper and crisper look but gives less control over head shape and bumps.

cool, thanks!!

JEKKI

ok, I went for a haircut today, tried to get an undercut like recommended earlier... that didnt work out so well -_-...

asked the lady "so yeah someone said I should get an undercut"

she said "undercut? so like... mushroom?"

"umm... no?"

"ok so how do you do your hair?" she replied, so I explained,

side part, but I don't really want a fade, I want the sides to be close by, but I hate how as it gets closer to the top it really begins to poof out like that.

and then she proceeded to do whatever... anyways, this was me in the morning before work:

and after my haircut and shower:

what she said she did was a "comb over" style... the left side of my head is kinda undercut I guess? parts of the top on that side are still a little long, but right side of my head is just a regular fade... so my hair in general is very asymmetrical now...

so far, I dont like it, but we'll see how it looks in a week or two... also I have not applied any type of styling product so we'll also see how it goes tomorrow?

if you google search comb over haircut, you do see a lot of flattering images of men, but I'm not sure if the way the barber cut me can actually produce some of those looks... perhaps soon it is time to invest in a $60 style and cut o_O

Kraftwerk

ok, I went for a haircut today, tried to get an undercut like recommended earlier... that didnt work out so well -_-...

asked the lady "so yeah someone said I should get an undercut"

she said "undercut? so like... mushroom?"

"umm... no?"

"ok so how do you do your hair?" she replied, so I explained,

side part, but I don't really want a fade, I want the sides to be close by, but I hate how as it gets closer to the top it really begins to poof out like that.

and then she proceeded to do whatever... anyways, this was me in the morning before work:

and after my haircut and shower:

what she said she did was a "comb over" style... the left side of my head is kinda undercut I guess? parts of the top on that side are still a little long, but right side of my head is just a regular fade... so my hair in general is very asymmetrical now...

so far, I dont like it, but we'll see how it looks in a week or two... also I have not applied any type of styling product so we'll also see how it goes tomorrow?

if you Google search comb over haircut, you do see a lot of flattering images of men, but I'm not sure if the way the barber cut me can actually produce some of those looks... perhaps soon it is time to invest in a $60 style and cut o_O

Honestly, you should have taken a picture, as it has been said 1000 times. They can't read your mind.

This is not a judgement on you, but I am still amazed at how many people online and even my friends irl ask "how do I ask for this cut?" and show ME a picture or post that picture of what they want online....wut

Regarding you goggling the haircut; yeah, you will see a lot of flattering images, most of which are models. Give it a few days and then re-evaluate.

Finding a good stylist/barber is obviously important, but price doesn't guarantee a good cut. Look around your area, see who has a good reputation.

dralla

The Layrite stuff on the first page, that's good for holding hair in place with it looking natural? My hair is very light and soft and even the slightest gust of wind will blow it out of control. I simply want to have my hair stay in place without it being weighed down or 'greasy' looking. Good choice?

Got my hair cut today. Shaved the sides and kept the top long cause I am able to rock a bun/top knot. Gotta say, this is my fav look so far.

zeopower6

Oh I was just asking to see if you'd done anything to it already :p Not sure if microwaving would help, but you could test it on a bit of the paste to see if it works? Aside from adding a teeny bit of liquid when you are applying it to your hair, I can't think of any other ideas T_T

Tom_Cody

I've had an undercut for about a year and a half and, as I've posted about a few times, I've been itching to try something different. I went to my (Polish, lesbian, hipster) barber over the weekend and I told her that I wanted to do something different and, lacking any useful ideas of my own, I asked her to just try to think of something. She was clearly thinking as she was cutting and it was interesting go back and forth with her about different ideas/shapes/styles.

Instead of a disconnected undercut, it is tapered into the long section with a tight low fade. The top section is shorter and thinned out so it is more of a pompadour shape vs. sitting flat/slicked-down over the top of my head. Also, on the opposite side, she cut it shorter and styled it with a part; the consequence of this is that it now pulls to the left and the right somewhat instead of going straight back. I like it, though I think I will modify it a bit the next time I get it cut.

Here is the end result, though I realize in hindsight this picture is kind of useless for showing the details of the style:

Top Bottom