• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-Topic Personality Mental Health |AT| GAF

Kev Kev

Oct 25, 2012
Daytona Beach, FL
thank you Tesseract Tesseract and DragoonKain DragoonKain

exercising is one thing i havent been doing for a while. my excuse was bc i was full time work and full time school, but im pretty much done with school now (i have two summer classes i still have to take, but its not like to 15 credits per semester that ive been doing the last 2 years). plus, corona virus has been keeping gyms closed. but going for a walk is a good one Tesseract Tesseract , even if its not for the exercise but just to get out in some fresh air. i kind of live in the hood rn so a walk around hear would be not ao good lmao, but you saying that made me consider heading down to the park by the river and walk. also making music and forgetting all of the theory is a challenge for me, because im always thinking notes and staves and shit, but its so liberating to just create and enjoy it without all that. good ideas man, thank you

and i think youre right DragoonKain DragoonKain about having things you know you need yo do weighing on your mind. id be lying if i said i dont have some of that, but mostly it is anxiety for seemingly no reason which makes me think im broken and its never going to stop blah blah blah. but you saying that got me thinking about what i can do to work on myself. exercise, finishing tasks i never started, getting out of my comfort zone and doing things that have been on my mind for years... i actually do have some of those things in my life that i need to address. thanks for the words! i think im going to try abd get back into routines i used to do, and coincidentally enough i had less anxiety, things like running every morning, cleaning every two weeks, shopping and cooking routines, things that help me feel grounded and accomplished. especially now that i don't have the full time work and full time school excuse

thanks again guys

Last edited:

Moogle11

Formerly 'HanBrolo'
Feb 7, 2020
I don't think we really 'serve any purpose' except to just make the best of the time we all have and try to be positive, have fun and I guess leave this world (hopefully MANY decades from now) in better shape than when we came into it.
Yep. I got and stayed way happier when I just realized all that matters is doing what you can to enjoy life. There doesn’t have to be some higher purpose to life. Just spend as much time as you can doing things you enjoy and as little as you can on things you don’t and try and find a decent work-life balance.

That doesn’t mean being shitty to others or not caring about anyone else by any means. It just means accepting that few people are going to make any meaningful impact outside of their family and social circle and thus we should focus on that. One can have empathy and recognize that a lot of shitty things happen everyday without letting that ruin your life and mental health when it’s things that don’t directly impact you.

For instance, I hate Trump and his allies views and policies, but I don’t have the TDS that many have where they’ve been miserable since 2016 and constantly ranting about things. I disagree with nearly every policy he supports, but none of them really directly affect me so why should I be miserable? My personal life is just as good as it was under Obama who I agreed with far more often.

Same with Covid19. It sucks that people are getting sick, that more people are dying and losing family members than in an average year Itj our a pandemic. I feel bad for front line, public facing workers who have to go to work and accept risk even if they don’t want to as they have bills to pay. But I’m relatively unaffected by it as we can work from home indefinitely so we haven’t fallen into depression like many online seem to. It sucks, but we’re good so we can feel bad for others who are less fortunate without being depressed ourselves.

So yeah, focus on enjoying life and not worrying about having some greater purpose and find ways to care about things you can’t impact without becoming miserable yourself when it’s things thst don’t impact you and that you can do nothing about.

More importantly, seek professional help When you’re really struggling and avoid mental health communities online. There are few professionals on forums like this and it’s not healthy to read posts by other depressed people about how life sucks, they want to die etc.

Reactions: Evil Calvin

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
thank you Tesseract Tesseract and DragoonKain DragoonKain

exercising is one thing i havent been doing for a while. my excuse was bc i was full time work and full time school, but im pretty much done with school now (i have two summer classes i still have to take, but its not like to 15 credits per semester that ive been doing the last 2 years). plus, corona virus has been keeping gyms closed. but going for a walk is a good one Tesseract Tesseract , even if its not for the exercise but just to get out in some fresh air. i kind of live in the hood rn so a walk around hear would be not ao good lmao, but you saying that made me consider heading down to the park by the river and walk. also making music and forgetting all of the theory is a challenge for me, because im always thinking notes and staves and shit, but its so liberating to just create and enjoy it without all that. good ideas man, thank you

and i think youre right DragoonKain DragoonKain about having things you know you need yo do weighing on your mind. id be lying if i said i dont have some of that, but mostly it is anxiety for seemingly no reason which makes me think im broken and its never going to stop blah blah blah. but you saying that got me thinking about what i can do to work on myself. exercise, finishing tasks i never started, getting out of my comfort zone and doing things that have been on my mind for years... i actually do have some of those things in my life that i need to address. thanks for the words! i think im going to try abd get back into routines i used to do, and coincidentally enough i had less anxiety, things like running every morning, cleaning every two weeks, shopping and cooking routines, things that help me feel grounded and accomplished. especially now that i don't have the full time work and full time school excuse

thanks again guys
Most people don't know themselves as much as they think they do. We know some stuff about ourselves, but most people don't even know their own capabilities. I think finding out what you yourself is capable of is very exciting. To me it's one of the most accomplishing feelings. Doing something and pushing yourself father to see how much you can get done. It's a great way to learn more about who you are and it unlocks more possibilities and curiosity for what you can do. It's a great way to make someone feel proud of themselves.

The hardest part is starting. Once you start that's the easy part in keeping it going because once you build momentum it just carries you. Exercise is a big part, because biologically that helps your mood as well as psychologically, but it doesn't even have to just be that. You can pick up some kind of new hobby and sink your teeth into it. Give you something to be excited about when you get up in the morning. Something your passion is directed toward. The more of these things you have in life, the less room there is for anxiety.

You can only control what you can control and the one thing you can control is putting your mind and body in a better situation to where if it doesn't totally cure your anxiety, it will at the very least put it in a better place, and that's something.

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
Depression is fucking brutal. Woof. Nothing worse when there's shit that's just out of your control, no matter how much you kick and scream. Typically I can throw a hail mary pass and come out on the other end. It's gonna take all my effort to keep going. Keep my head clear. Way too much going on. I'm going to come out of this stronger than ever, I swear to fuck. I will destroy.

• Fire
Reactions: Tesseract