• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mention of 'high fidelity VR' disappears from Xbox Scorpio website

oti

Banned
PSVR compatible you mean?
giphy.gif

Lucifon

If they do move away from it I'm pretty sure it's because VR hasn't taken off in the way some hoped. Scorpio is more than capable of playing VR games, but it doesn't make sense to lead with it. Spend your resources elsewhere on areas which are guaranteed growth then re-assess the situation with VR as it unfolds.

Really don't understand the comments like "you can't do good vr on the tech" considering PSVR is really good on a standard ps4 and great on a PS4 pro so would be even better on the Scorpios specs.

Well we'll have to wait for some official word on this matter. E3 is still so far away though ;(

If they scrap VR altogether I'll be pretty disappointed. The more VR support there is, the better for all VR users.

Meanwhile I'm having a blast with PSVR.

120v

Really don't understand the comments like "you can't do good vr on the tech" considering PSVR is really good on a standard ps4 and great on a PS4 pro so would be even better on the Scorpios specs.

doesn't really count as PSVR is proprietary. could be mistaken but i thought the idea with scorpio VR was to be able to plug any pc HMD into the system with no problems

Durante

Hmm, they still mention VR in the video just above that text, maybe it's just not ready for 'Holiday 2017'.
As I said, none of the MS partner HMDs actually worked at CES.

Working prototypes of all existing VR solutions were demonstrated well over a year before their release.

Alx

doesn't really count as PSVR is proprietary. could be mistaken but i thought the idea with scorpio VR was to be able to plug any pc HMD into the system with no problems

To be fair there's no way to be sure what exactly "the idea with scorpio VR was" since all we knew about it were the handful of words that disappeared. Support for Oculus/Vive are just speculations, and support for recently announced Win10 headsets is just a logical assumption but nothing official either.

As I said, none of the MS partner HMDs actually worked at CES.

Working prototypes of all existing VR solutions were demonstrated well over a year before their release.

They may have estimated (with good reasons) that inside-out tracking is not reliable enough for showfloor environments, when it may be fine for a regular desktop. As I said, we don't have enough info to jump to conclusions. But we will soon, with the first deadlines of their initial roadmap that will or won't be met.

geordiemp

PSVR has reprojection, games run at 60 FPS.

Occulus is 1440p and 90 FPS - this requires a BEEFY CPU as well as GPU.

Ps4 could not run occulus spec. Ps4 pro would struggle probably due to CPU.

No VR could mean no Occulus deal OR / AND no ZEN CPU

bart64

Banned
What if MS just wanted to steal some hype from PSVR and didn't really intend to release anything? Aren't they concentrating on AR?

JaffeLion

Banned
I can see this being a disappointment for some, to me it doesn't matter. After my experiences with PSVR (I know it isn't exactly high-end)I'm not really longing for VR. At least not until the tech matures much further from where it currently is.

same for me. It was really disappointing to me.

Was this in response to the leaked documents in any way?

I doubt this, as the leaked document is from July 2016 and it says the Scorpio is the 6tflops machine MS said at E3 in June 2016. The disappointment people had with that document was because they were believing GAF rumours of an undisclosed power increase since E3, or were hoping for a CPU based on technology releasing in 2018. Strange thing is, if people did believe in a power increase sometime after the Scorpio announcement, why does a July 2016 document suddenly shake their belief? lol

geordiemp

Shame, I was interested in Scorpio because it was promoted as Occulus capable, ie 1440p at stable 90 FPS.

That to me means 6 TF +, great bandwidth and an I5 class CPU.

I always thought it was going to be a £ 600 console with those specs. No way.

MS backtracking hard.

tuna_love

Banned
Shame, I was interested in Scorpio because it was promoted as Occulus capable, ie 1440p at stable 90 FPS.

That to me means 6 TF +, great bandwidth and an I5 class CPU.

I always thought it was going to be a £ 600 console with those specs. No way.

MS backtracking hard.
was it ever promoted as oculus capable?

"As far as I can recall, the system was introduced with VR in mind. Did something fall through? Was this in response to the leaked documents in any way?"

VR is dead, Jim. Another case of the industry not able to hold their balls and wait for the tech to advance, and prematurely ejaculating all over the tech.

I nominate you for worst post of January. VR is only dead to people who never tried it, so get out of your comfort zone maybe.

I nominate you for worst post of January. VR is only dead to people who never tried it, so get out of your comfort zone maybe.

I proudly accept this nomination. VR is indeed dead to those who have never tried it, and they never will try it anytime soon. And neither will anyone care to make games for something that the public hasn't tried. The store demo units are long gone to the backburner, and never will the audience ever get a chance to try it.

Do you have a list of people who've tried VR? Is it a big list? Millions? How many of those plan to buy VR? How many already own it? How many of those VR units are collecting VR dust? How many games are being made for VR? How many of those VR owners will buy those games?

VR, in 2016, was treated as a gimmick, whether you like it or not. It was a race to declare yourself the first in VR. VR as a tech isn't dead and should not be dead as it's a great tech, but VR in gaming is stale. VR, in 2017, looks just as stale. No new hardware will come forth, and should come forth. First-party needs to take initiative in making great VR titles, and they're not showcasing anything that makes me go dust off VR. No new VR hardware will be made, which means PSVR's low fidelity will always stay there.

Sony is the king of letting accessories rot. KING. MS has no reason to compete with a rot. Bundling an already flawed tech (PSMove) didn't help the cause either.

Alx

No, the links between MS and Oculus never mentioned Scorpio, the only official parts of their "deal" together was the bundling of an Xbox controller with PC Rift and the streaming of Xbox games to the Oculus theater app.
Most people (me included) speculated on a scorpio support, especially since the items above seemed too anecdotal for a major deal, but there was nothing confirmed about it.

geordiemp

It was strongly inferred, was there not a Fallout 4 guy and Occulus around at the E3 and touted in some way ? I Cant remember, no doubt someone will watch that E3 again.

This is where the high expectations came from, an Occulus capable console would be a friggin beast. I have 2 PS4 pro, but would be interested in this level of console whch would be a next gen step IMO (Witcher 3 at 1080p60 on console yes please).

leeh

I wonder if this is simply due to the Oculus partnership and MS leaving that partnership due to recent uncovering of certain leadership's views?

Companies don't want to be linked to that crap.

Chaostar

Seems to me like MS has scaled back on whatever their original vision was for Scorpio. At least as far as VR is concerned.

vivekTO

If this is really true than this is just as good or bad news for Xbox fans as Omission of UHD in pro was for Sony Fans.

I guess this just means MS won't have supported VR glasses ready when Scorpio launches. It does look like VR development is slower than expected. VR needs to get a lot cheaper and easy to use before it gets out of this tech demo limbo it's in now. The major issue in terms of software is that current AAA titles don't convert to VR easily or at all due to the controller locomotion/camera control causing nausea. If VR can't solve these issues other than with janky teleport movement it'll be relegated to just a gimmick like Kinect.

It was strongly inferred, was there not a Fallout 4 guy and Occulus around at the E3 and touted in some way ? I Cant remember, no doubt someone will watch that E3 again.

Is Fallout 4 coming to Oculus? I thought they'd announced it for Vive, isn't Zenimax currently suing Oculus? Fallout 4 VR for Scorpio would maybe hint at multiple VR partners...

Top Bottom