• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mention of 'high fidelity VR' disappears from Xbox Scorpio website

Mendrox

Come on, that's not true. You could even argue that it's only a small subset of what a "true" VR experience could be without immersive tracked hand controls.

Regardless of that distinction, even if your idea of a "proper" game by necessity includes a story-driven single-player campaign (which would exclude most arcade games ever made from being "proper" games), then I have no idea how something like Arizona Sunshine would not qualify.

First proper AAA from a series that people all over the world know would have been better. People at my work get interested in Resident Evil 7 cause of the VR modus.

Come on, that's not true. You could even argue that it's only a small subset of what a "true" VR experience could be without immersive tracked hand controls.

Regardless of that distinction, even if your idea of a "proper" game by necessity includes a story-driven single-player campaign (which would exclude most arcade games ever made from being "proper" games), then I have no idea how something like Arizona Sunshine would not qualify.
'Proper' as in its what people expect from a major title. Pretend I said AAA if that fits better. I love lots of vr games and indie titles. I've played Arizona Sunshine for a couple of hours. It's great.

But it's not anything close to RE7 in terms of production value. RE7 is the kind of game people who dismiss VR think a game should be. That's why I put it in quotes.

I guess "average fidelity" just isn't as good of a buzzword.

But in all seriousness... VR sales in general have been kind of soft. It could just be a smart move on their part to not focus on VR as a main selling point.

Xandremi

Well considering they said

1. They said they aren't developing their own headset
  2. Never said it was a Day One delivery

Not surprised they removed the vr promise. Probably since it wasn't a day one item they didn't want to confuse anyone.

Yet they used it as a bullet point lol
The entire idea of Scorpio and it's reveal/marketing has been a reaction to and against PS4 pro. I guess they can say whatever they want before ever giving concrete details in order to "compete" against Sony.

It would be nice to have support at some point down the line I guess, but I can't say I wouldn't be happy if they just focused on video games.

Zalusithix

Maybe there still is a future for VR, but coming from someone who has as a Pro and PSVR, Scorpio wouldn't really be missing out on much if it took a pass on this. Current VR is more of a hassle than anything at this point in my experience. I would wait until we have better resolution, better tracking, and wireless headsets before making a real commitment to the technology.
Better resolution and wireless are certainly coming and will be a welcome upgrade to the experience. Better tracking though? We already have quite serviceable tracking right now. Sony's low-tech, budget cutting approach shouldn't be the baseline of comparison there. Don't get me wrong, tracking tech will improve as well, but even if it didn't advance at all, we'd be good with the currently available lighthouse solution. More advanced tracking is more important to AR than VR as AR is less likely to be used in a dedicated space.

Nameless

Maybe a combination of Oculus being a pretty toxic brand at the moment, VR software not exactly setting the world or store shelves on fire, and the very real problem of confusing and/or upsetting base model owners, who'd be left out in the cold.

We'll see. Wouldn't be shocked to see them announce something at E3 or put all their eggs in the AR basket for next gen.

The entire idea of Scorpio and it's reveal/marketing has been a reaction to and against PS4 pro. I guess they can say whatever they want before ever giving concrete details in order to "compete" against Sony.

Or it came during a time where VR was trending up but since it's cooled off considerably since then maybe they figured it's not worth a huge push at this time. Things don't happen in a vacuum.

Compsiox

Banned
Maybe a combination of Oculus being a pretty toxic brand at the moment, VR software not exactly setting the world or store shelves on fire, and the very real problem of confusing and/or upsetting base model owners, who'd be left out in the cold.

We'll see. Wouldn't be shocked to see them announce something at E3 or put all their eggs in the AR basket for next gen.

Well knew it would set the world on fire yet and I doubt they wouldn't have VR support because Oculus fucked up.

Scorpio was a reaction to the Pro even though they announced it first? Then what was the PS4 Pro a reaction to?

Durante

RE7 is the kind of game people who dismiss VR think a game should be.
OK, I can certainly live with that description.

I still think that letting such people latch on to something without fully tracked controls as "the" VR representative might be a bad decision though.

Has any official word been released regarding it? Seems a bit premature to say they've gone back on it just based on it being removed from the site.

Funny that PSVR was said to be the highest shot of making VR mainstream (myself included) but will be likely that the  high cost vive and oculus are the ones that will keep the tech alive.

To some degree, PSVR still is the best shot for mainstream VR at the moment and the report saying PSVR had outsold Rift and Vive combined, in only a few months is a good sign but lack of stock really is hurting it. I think Sony underestimated it a little, although I understand why they did, as PSVR was a shot in the dark, to how popular it would really be.

If they can just speed up production and a get a PSVR + RE7 bundle out (which really is amazing and one of the best VR games made so far) it would definitely help VR become more mainstream.

Has any official word been released regarding it? Seems a bit premature to say they've gone back on it just based on it being removed from the site.

Nothing that I've seen. I agree with you though! I don't think this means they've backed out on VR entirely, just that plans might have changed.

Some people are also ignoring the fact that Microsoft just announced VR support for Windows 10 with headsets starting at $299. Personally, I think that's more of an indication of where they're going than Oculus or Vive.

The video hasn't removed the Fallout 4 VR regenerates by Todd. He still says high quality and "to have a console that can give the performance we need" (paraphrased).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I still think that letting such people latch on to something without fully tracked controls as "the" VR representative might be a bad decision though.

Truthfully, it's going to take time for people to realize that games/experiences are just inherently different in VR than through traditional means. I'm surprised there's active hostility toward VR this early, I figured people would just be indifferent. Like I said previously, I'm surprised people are reacting as those this new medium is going to take away the current platforms instead of just coexisting with it in the same way handhelds and smartphones coexist with pcs and gaming consoles.

Castef

Banned
Makes sense. They are still in a phase in which they could direct the project here or there, maybe dropping VR at this stage could be wise?

Zalusithix

I doubt RE will do much to convince those people anyhow. We've had VR support in Elite from the get go, and that's a sit down game that you can spend hundreds of hours in. People using arguments of what a VR game "should be" before having used VR in the first place are just grasping for reasons to validate their dismissal of the tech. They'll perform any amount of mental gymnastics to rationalize why games X Y and Z aren't good enough. Meanwhile, people concerned about the AAA game count aren't going to be convinced by one additional game.

Edit:
Good. I'd rather microsoft not waste any time on VR.

Sucks to be you then. MS is already investing in VR and AR tech, regardless of what shows up on the Xbox.

nynt9

VR is not going to fail. It will eventually happen. It has immense applications in research and many areas beyond gaming. The question isn't "whether", it's "when".

It may or may not replace traditional gaming, but as a format in general it's not going to go away. It's bigger than gaming.

EvB

Is this not a case of Microsoft trying to be clear about what the Scorpio is going to be for?

The PS4 pro went from being a machine for VR to a machine for everything .
VR on a console is already looking like it is just an enthusiast thing, so why muddy the message ?

We already know that the machine will be capable of running vr, no special harfware is required beyond the VR headset itself. It isn't as if the removal of this bullet point indicates that there will never be any vr

Hoo-doo

Banned
Vr is a gimmick, but could be something in the future. Give it +10years.

You guys should read some of the RE7 PSVR impressions.
Those aren't representative of a 'gimmick' in any way. It's a completely new way to play, and given the right software it blows everything else out of the water.

Q8D3vil

One of my best friends in playing Re7 in VR ( bought them together ) and he is blown away.
I trust the guy because we used to be 3d vision bro's.
Cant wait to borrow it from him.

Ehker

Is this not a case of Microsoft trying to be clear about what the Scorpio is going to be for?

The PS4 pro went from being a machine for VR to a machine for everything .
VR on a console is already looking like it is just an enthusiast thing, so why muddy the message ?
MS is being clear by silently updating marketing material? Statements would be clearer.

And no the PS4 pro did not go from being a machine for VR to a machine for everything. Sony revealed it without a VR focus. There were posters here speculating a regular PS4 wouldn't be good enough for VR so maybe that was why Sony was making a Neo machine, not Sony who was saying that.

Crayon

It's because they were bullshitting about it in the first place. Just like Hololens. Just like cloud power. They want to look like they had something EVEN MORE BETTER than the competition if you would just wait. This is an ancient tactic and ms is quick to reach for it.

TBiddy

You guys should read some of the RE7 PSVR impressions.
Those aren't representative of a 'gimmick' in any way. It's a completely new way to play, and given the right software it blows everything else out of the water.

There are multiple problems with VR which make it a far lesser experience than in the TV version. For starters the graphics quality takes a major dip, as you might expect, even when running on the Pro, and considering how amazing the game looks on the TV, the step down can feel a little too steep. Secondly, because of the slightly fiddly movement mechanics, it can lack the dexterity required in the game's more challenging sequences, making the experience far more frustrating than it need be.

The main issue I encountered while playing Resident Evil 7 in VR was a pretty common one for the technology: It made me extremely dizzy. Moving in the game while standing still in real life was a disorienting process. Beyond that, I found specific visuals in the game much darker and muddier in VR. For example, a photo I picked up and examined looked totally normal in the regular game, but was impossible to make out in the added darkness of the PlayStation VR headset.

But you don't get that same sense in VR, as the visuals are significantly scaled back, to the point that they lose much of their impact. (Note: I played on a standard PS4, so things might be a bit better on the more powerful PS4 Pro.)

And there's many more out there like that. There's no denying that RE7 is absolutely scary when played in VR, but there's also a lot of issues.

It's because they were bullshitting about it in the first place. Just like Hololens. Just like cloud power. They want to look like they had something EVEN MORE BETTER than the competition if you would just wait. This is an ancient tactic and ms is quick to reach for it.

Unless Scorpio is weaker than normal PS4 otherwise it can run VR normally, so i don't see why it's BS at all.
It's not about they can or can't do it, it's about they want it or not.

And since when Hololens is BS?

Zalusithix

Hololens is AR, and while they certainly exaggerated its capabilities, it still is an impressive piece of tech. Not a replacement for VR by any stretch of the imagination, and of extremely limited use for gaming in its current incarnation, but impressive tech nonetheless.

netBuff

Hololens is AR, and while they certainly exaggerated its capabilities, it still is an impressive piece of tech. Not a replacement for VR by any stretch of the imagination, and of extremely limited use for gaming in its current incarnation, but impressive tech nonetheless.

Hololens is an experimental potential business product, if anything. They tried to leverage that into some consumer good will by showing some terrible gaming/consumer applications.

Crayon

Unless Scorpio is weaker than normal PS4 otherwise it can run VR normally, so i don't see why it's BS at all.
It's not about they can or can't do it, it's about they want it or not.

And since when Hololens is BS?

Hololens is great but it was trotted out as some kind of answer to gaming focused vr units that were just around the corner. Then went the extra mile to greatly exaggerate it's capabilities. Smoke and mirrors.

cakely

It's not really confirmation that Xbox One Scorpio won't ship with VR, but I could see it. Hopefully we'll know for real by E3.

Difficult decision, we believe result is better 4 Xbox gamers

First post killing it!

In before 'VR is a fad anyway'

Edit: too late already

Seriously.

I know this must sting, a little, but posts like this (and there are quite a few of them in this thread) are sour grapes.

Exactly, trus i wouldn't even sweat over VR being scraped..and first of all, don't get it twisted, there is no future in VR. Within 2yrs it will be six feet under and forgotten.

This is why you can't have nice things. When they're taken away, you just pivot and say that you never wanted them anyway.

EDIT: Sweet Jesus, there is so much sour grapes in this thread. And VR support hasn't even been officially pulled from the Xbox One Scorpio. It's just a rumor!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Sure you can:

KGrHqZnwFCqS2NfwFBQ-k9yJjEQ60_57-300x225.jpg
Well played.

Anywho I couldn't care less about VR.

Top Bottom