• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merkel warns US, Britain no longer reliable partners

pa22word

Yeah, because europe has no cross to bear with regards to destabilizing the mid east. Remind me again: who drug the US into an intervention in Libya the consequences of which are going to continue to play out for decades and is a major contributor the ongoing refugee crisis? Who colonized the mid east following the fall of the ottoman empire and drew the bullshit lines in the sand that are still causing instability to this day? Fucking Israel?!

I mean it's a nice post if we start mideast history at 9/11 and work from there, but most of the brush fires and regional instability the US has tried to combat in the region (including Saddam) is direct fallout from European colonialism. No one in the western world is free from bloody hands in the region, and trying to pretend otherwise is idiotic.

Rick Wilson ✔ @TheRickWilson
Never forget; your President literally called reporters using fake names to spin about his sex life.

OP, she said this at an election rally. So keep it in that context, just as the nonsense Theresa May comes out with also must be kept in that context until after the election. Both of their tones will soften after their respective elections.

oti

Banned
OP, she said this at an election rally. So keep it in that context, just as the nonsense Theresa May comes out with also must be kept in that context until after the election. Both of their tones will soften after their respective elections.

Comparing Merkel to May is almost offensive.

Tovarisc

Just like Trump toned down his rhetoric, became more centered and became presidential after election was over, right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The difference being that this is not something that is even close to populism in Germany. I would say that it's actually the opposite, Merkel could rather lose electoral points than gain some. This would be comparable with May saying at an electoral rally: "EU has actually more leverage than us, so we as a country have to prepare for a deal that it's not very advantageous post Brexit". A.k.a. the truth.

The irony is that those two points were raised as Brexit arguments but dispelled as nonsense that would never happen.

Why was the British public against an EU army? And why did they give a fuck about a hypothetical Eurozone federal budget? It wouldn't affect the UK.

EU wide fiscal policy would be great too.

I think that would be politically infeasible. Start with the Eurozone, and if it turns out to be enough to fix the problems of the Euro, probably more countries will join the currency union until it (and the Eurozone fiscal policy) encompasses most of the EU

Yeah, because europe has no cross to bear with regards to destabilizing the mid east. Remind me again: who drug the US into an intervention in Libya the consequences of which are going to continue to play out for decades and is a major contributor the ongoing refugee crisis? Who colonized the mid east following the fall of the ottoman empire and drew the bullshit lines in the sand that are still causing instability to this day? Fucking Israel?!

I mean it's a nice post if we start mideast history at 9/11 and work from there, but most of the brush fires and regional instability the US has tried to combat in the region (including Saddam) is direct fallout from European colonialism. No one in the western world is free from bloody hands in the region, and trying to pretend otherwise is idiotic.

this response is a good response

Xando

Merkel is 12 points in the lead and doesn't need populism like May. Ironically her challenger would be even harder on the US/UK.
Merkel has been on this message more or less since november.

If you look at the daily news coming from the US there is a clear shift coming to the western world since the US cannot be trusted anymore.

the worst thing Merkel can do is to force smaller EU countries to shy away from historic alliances with the UK and the US which is stupid on her part.

I'm one who says that Trump is a 4 year anomoly that will pass.

it is foolish the negate centuries of alliances just because of a 4 year Presidency

Xando

the worst thing Merkel can do is to force smaller EU countries to shy away from historic alliances with the UK and the US which is stupid on her part.

it is foolish the negate centuries of alliances just because of a 4 year Presidency
Trump is a symptom for the broken democratic system in the US.
Just because he will be voted out(if) in 4 years doesn't mean we have the same problem again 10 years from now.

cyba89

The people who made President Trump happen and still support him won't go away after 4 or 8 years.

oti

Banned

You're one who underestimates how much damage Trump America and desperate Brexit UK can cause in 4 years.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/868854971713933312

4O2PkBa.jpg

Please let this be real.

Merkel can hold her own beer. Truly the people's champion.

I think that would be politically infeasible. Start with the Eurozone, and if it turns out to be enough to fix the problems of the Euro, probably more countries will join the currency union until it (and the Eurozone fiscal policy) encompasses most of the EU

Yeah the Eurozone would suffice. I just want the fiscal optimisation to stop.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Who said anything about forcing smaller EU countries to shy away from NATO? (or what historic alliances with UK and US are you talking about? I hope not those that threw Eastern Europe in the hands of Soviet Union).

NATO will still exist. Unfortunately it has more form than substance because of the Republican party. Because I don't see any Republican giving any shit about NATO currently. It's not just Trump.

Just because it is an anomaly doesn't mean you don't prepare for the possibility it can happen again.

And you are looking at this from one side. Guess what, it is foolish from the US to put NATO at risk over some bullshit talk of a defense spending that they had already figured out before he was even elected.

Xando

Yeah the Eurozone would suffice. I just want the fiscal optimisation to stop.
Euro zone finance minister and shared eurozone budget is coming after the german elections.
Merkel and Schäuble have basically confirmed it when Macron was in Berlin.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The simple fact that by electing a new president all the alliances and treaties mean nothing for US it's the exact definition of a unreliable partner. That is, one of the two main American parties no longer supports unconditionally this partnership. Which means that every time there will be a Republican president there is the danger of this happening again.

Unreliable partner.

Bush was still pro NATO, pro EU and learned the hard way to not trust Russia

Well yeah, but now the GOP knows that it can get away with literally almost anything.

The next GOP president will inevitably be elected, and the US will most likely become unreliable again.

Not the best situation for a stable relationship.

Would it be better for Merkel to hide her head in the sand, pretend everything's the same, if she doesn't believe it? Better start preparing people for what she thinks the future will bring, where the EU can no longer count on a friendly US (or UK).

As for Trump being not that big a deal, maybe, depending how you look at it. From my POV the US having elected someone who apparently is very much the wrong person for the job, not just from lack of experience but also temperament is just a symptom, unless things change it's just a matter of time until the next politician with Trump like views on NATO and the EU gets into power.

Skyzard

Banned
Thank god for this, just in case Trump has any ideas of trying something with China, considering how obsessed he is with them, even claiming they made up global warming to slow down US business.

If Trump thinks EU will help him and Russia take on China he can fuck off.

Hahaha oh so naive, there are more racists and ignorant americans than educated ones.

you are talking about Republican voters.

I'm talking about Republican Presidents on the Foreign Affairs stage.

George H.W. Bush (father) was a voice of sanity during the fall of the Iron Curtain.

As a Liberal, I recognize that there are still good things that some Republican Presidents have done that are "mainstream" in accordance with historical allies.

Trump is a Russian traitor

George H.W. Bush (father) was a voice of sanity during the fall of the Iron Curtain
And Republican voters can pick a new Trump like candidate next time around again. The world apparently can't count on the US picking somewhat competent Presidents all the time anymore. Or there being a party that keeps their President from doing idiotic things.

This is not just a (possible) 4 year President. This is a sign that the US has a risk of not being a trustworthy party anymore and the EU needs to take measures because of that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

George H.W. Bush (father) was a voice of sanity during the fall of the Iron Curtain.

As a Liberal, I recognize that there are still good things that some Republican Presidents have done that are "mainstream" in accordance with historical allies.

Who is the voice of sanity in today's Republican party?

If the GOP of today was like the GOP of the 80s or even early 2000s, we most likely wouldn't be having this conversation because this thread wouldn't exist.

Who is the voice of sanity in today's Republican party?

in present tence, nobody because they are all silent and abstaining from speaking out

in past tence, there were "normal" Republicans.

but no longer in the present tence; now they are all scum bags.

RINOs are no more

Xando

You make the mistake of believing the early 2000 GOP is the same as the current GOP.

They dramatically drifted towards extremism after Obama was elected.

Armaros

The fact that the GOP is making excuses and defending trump against the well being of the country tells our allies that internal partisan politics are worth more then good relationships with allied nations.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
in present tence, nobody because they are all silent and abstaining from speaking out

in past tence, there were "normal" Republicans.

but no longer in the present tence; now they are all scum bags.

RINOs are no more

And that's the whole point. The probability of "normal" republicans to win over the party once again is very very low. A guy who assaulted a journalist has just been elected ffs.

You make the mistake of believing the early 2000 GOP is the same as the current GOP.

They dramatically drifted towards extremism after Obama was elected.

At this point saying that moderates are the minority would be an overstatement. There may be, at best, a handful of moderates left. It is completely an extremist party.

Alanae

The irony is that those two points were raised as Brexit arguments but dispelled as nonsense that would never happen.
That would probably still have been the case if remain had won.
Now that they're leaving (and thus can't veto it anymore), however...

Xando

And that's the whole point. The probability of "normal" republicans to win over the party once again is very very low. A guy who assaulted a journalist has just been elected ffs.
Even worse than him being elected is that he wasn't forced to resign but rather congratulated for assaulting the journalist

Condom

Awesome. Europe going it's own way!

Sad that it has to be the center right to lead this change in Europe but this will have to do for now.

The fact that the GOP is making excuses and defending trump against the well being of the country tells our allies that internal partisan politics are worth more then good relationships with allied nations.

One half of Republican voters are rabid morons and the other half couldn't care less if the whole world burns as long as they can get more tax cuts for the rich passed. It is truly sickening and Merkel is perfectly right with her statement. It's not just Trump, the problem runs much deeper. A country where roughly half of the political establishment is either insane or acting in a manner so irresponsible that it beggars belief is no longer a reliable partner.

Hazzuh

It is weird how confident people in this thread are that Germany would honour article 5 if Russia attacked one of its neighbours under any circumstances. I'm sure Merkel would but does anyone think for a second that Schroeder would have? There has always been a fairly large russophile contingent in German politics. If I was an Eastern European country deciding defence policy I wouldn't want to be depending on support from Berlin.

Xando

It is weird how confident people in this thread are that Germany would honour article 5 if Russia attacked one of its neighbours under any circumstances. I'm sure Merkel would but does anyone think for a second that Schroder would have? There has always been a fairly large russophile contingent in German politics. If I was an Eastern European country deciding defence policy I wouldn't want to be exclusively relying on support from Berlin.
NATO and a commitment to Art. 5 has been the core foreign policy of germany for 60 years. Even someone like Schröder would have honored it(infact he has been the only chancellor to honor it).
It's true that german always has been between the US and Russia but there is no question germany would attack if it felt threatened by Russia and obligated through NATO and EU.

Top Bottom