• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merrill Lynch says: PS3 will KILL Sony - Huge costs for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Master Z

Not even a hint of anything positive in that article...does ML believe that production costs will never go down or something? It seems like they have nothing positive to say about Sony, nothing. Everything's negative...they don't even give them a chance, it's starting to sound like they have an agenda...

fortified_concept said:
Sony really doesn't stand a chance. If people buy PS3s like crazy Sony is going bankrupt, if they don't PS3 is doomed.

When you put it that way I wonder whos ****ing Idea this was?

Can't they break even on Software Sales?

rage1973 said:
Yes just because they have many high level accountants that have worked in electronic manufacturing but they still have no idea what they are doing. Maybe you should apply and give them some advice and I am sure they will at least quadruple your current salary.

I´m a economist and I don´t care about Sony.I´m not buying the PS3.But,ML...they don´t know what they´re talking about.Also Mr Patcher doesn´t know what´s going on.You should know that Sony´s ADR has been doing pretty well since 11/11/2005.Actually ADR´s are up 17% .So ML forecast doesn´t meet market consensus.

Anyway a monkey could beat analysts .Random walK FTW.

No,PS3 won´t kill Sony.But if Wii (or 360) sells 500 million units maybe Sony would kill the PS3

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/quote.dll?...&index=&drilldown=off&symbol=SNE&selected=SNE

maxmars

HyperionX said:
They're very biased. ML has previously predicted that the PS3 will cost $800 and be delayed till next year.

So they guessed 100% right SONY European PS3 launch strategy. +1 ML.

Who Cares. This game is going to own...

14463.jpg

Dave Long

Banned
Does anyone have a citation for the $900 manufacture price? I'm just curious where that number comes from. I know that's pretty much been held as fact. Who spilled those beans?

J-Rzez

Here I thought someone dug up an old thread from 2000... then I noticed the date and "PS3"... pretty similar though...

Err, some people in this thread are hopeless.

Because manufacturing all those PS3s and NOT selling them is so much better than making up a substantial portion of the production cost! Big lines and consumer interest = mega bucks in the future (or that is the plan, at least).

Arsenal

HyperionX said:
Like I said their prediction only became partially true out of luck. Their original justifications were totally wrong, like a Bluray drive costing $350 each, which is about 2x the actual cost.

link please... to the current cost of the PS3's Bluray drive. Or are you talking out of your ass too? Everyone is speculating at this point, Sony is the only one that knows for sure and they aren't talking.

ML is certainly biased - they are investors, and look at the financial side of the story. As a gamer you may look at the PS3 as an almost guaranteed success, the financial side of things are not so clear. The PS3 could "succeed" and win #1 in all markets and still loose Sony a ton of money simply because there is more competition now and it will be near impossible for them to match the PS2's success. Video Games is a very rough, competitive business where it is quite possible to loose a few Billion dollars (just as MS). ML advises many, many Billions of investment dollars, they would be doing their clients a disservice not to address these type of things simply because the PS3 seems like it will be a cool game machine.

FightyF

Banned
Mark Gonzales said:
Who Cares. This game is going to own...

14463.jpg

*LOL*

Heck, even I could do better than that!

:lol

davepoobond said:
so people who want sony to die should buy a PS3. Sony has made a product that appeals to all gamers after all!

Well if people don't buy, the price is going to have to go down, meaning faster doom.

Ikael

Mithos Yggdrasill's awesome analysis
You do understand the Sony's situation. While analysts tend to go too much to the extremes (no, Sony will not be kicked out of the market in this generation, be sure of it), it is true that they might take a big blow, way bigger than the one that Nintendo took with the Gamecube, not in terms of raw sales, but profit, market & mindshare.

And completely agree with Sony not being the same Sony of the 90s. However, this is why there are still people that supports them: they still think that this is the same Sony that gave birth to the walkman and PS1. While technically true, thing is that the nowadays Sony has little to do with the Sony of its "golden era".

+ 1st party software sales
+accesories
+downloadble content
+microtransatctions

= breaking even

yeah yeah, Microsoft lost money on Xbox1, heard this all before. But Sony`s 1st party software size is considerably larger then MS`s 1st party software size.

+ with Playstaytion Online, Sony can make tons of money selling old PS1, PS2 games downloadable online

rage1973

Parmenides said:
I´m a economist and I don´t care about Sony.I´m not buying the PS3.But,ML...they don´t know what they´re talking about.Also Mr Patcher doesn´t know what´s going on.You should know that Sony´s ADR has been doing pretty well since 11/11/2005.Actually ADR´s are up 17% .So ML forecast doesn´t meet market consensus.

Anyway a monkey could beat analysts .Random walK FTW.

No,PS3 won´t kill Sony.But if Wii (or 360) sells 500 million units maybe Sony would kill the PS3

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/quote.dll?...&index=&drilldown=off&symbol=SNE&selected=SNE
Sony's stock performance is on par with most of Japanese stock market judging by 1 year return to most of Japan market ETFs. Also You do realize that ML's report is on future earnings and now how the stock has done in the past? Their stock could have gone up 10000% in the past year but it doesn't determine on how their stock will perform in the future.

VALIS said:
I stopped reading there. Do some of these people not understand that these brokerage houses don't give a rat's ass about video games other than the business aspect of it? I've worked in several brokerage houses and met the video game analysts -- they don't play video games. They don't care who wins or loses. They try to predict who will be the good investments and who will be the bad ones. That's all.
Which means that they are biased in the direction where their funds an clients have their investments. And by releasing their predictions to the public after they made their investment they affect the market in the direction they want. And before anyone can call their cards, they've already secured some profits.

They win, we lose. Always have been, always will be. Merrill Lynch is no charity organisation. It's just scam at a grand scale, just like Enron, but if you just do it clever enough, you get away with it. :D

knitoe

Here's the scary part if the predictions are true. -6.3B / 5 years = -1.26B per year. Last year, Sony only made 1.07B in profits. If number stay the same, they would be -190M total the following year year. Wow. CELL + BR are huge gamble for Sony.

While, M$ continues to make +9B in profits every year.

fse

well, they were right about that it'd be double the wii/360 prices.

:\

I think the $900 number is from each component price.

januswon

HyperionX said:

the link to ML report won't work in the above web page

here are the links to 2 ML reports

ML Report 2005.11.02
PS3 est. cost at launch $495
http://webpages.charter.net/spartan85/ML_Consoles.pdf

ML Report 2006.02.17
PS3 est. cost at launch $800
http://blogger.flexchamp.com/nxgaming/media/ps3-analyse-merryll-lynch.pdf

ML has another Sony Business Model Simulation in this issue of Weekly Diamond in Sep 2006
i remember ML again predicted Sony would suffer a huge loss in the first 5 yr as well
b060930.jpg

n.gif

antiloop

Fatal Inertia haters begone.

It uses UE3 and Speedtree and looks great. Will keep me alive until Wipeout PS3 arrives. (I hope) :)

medrew

Zaptruder said:
Is there a more thorough breakdown of how the losses will occur?

I find it hard to believe, given that Sony is manufacturing most of its own components, which should drive down cost relatively quickly... and that it the PS3 will be their gateway to quite a few revenue streams, including downloadable content, BD and the traditional games.

Making your own components doesn't guarantee costs will fall harder than if they don't.
There are actually adverse effects to it: quality of the components might not be up to standard as there is no supplier competition (and thus no incentive to be so or to work hard) and those even though those components are sought in house they will probably be through transactions whereby the price the PS3 section (entertainment?) pays is still higher than what they cost to make as the division they are sourced from still needs to make a profit.
And it could just plum be that another company is more efficient and able to supply those components at a cheaper cost. Tying yourself to inhouse stops this.

Making your own components can be a misnomer in the grand scheme of things.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Sony to become the next MS in gaming?

That's pretty pesimistic on ML part. Will hardcore gaming become a unprofitable business?

kevm3

img4547a09c89e2f.jpg

We need more games that use the imaginative approach instead of going for hyperrealism. If they can speed up Fatal Inertia, it's on track towards being something nice.

TheProfessor said:
Sony to become the next MS in gaming?

That's pretty pesimistic on ML part. Will hardcore gaming become a unprofitable business?

I believe Microsoft is on course to make money soon. So it's not an unprofitable venture if you have a good business plan. Microsoft's original Xbox one wasn't, and it appears the PS3 one is following suit. :)

J-Rzez

P90 said:
Uhhh, have you heard of Halo?

Yeah... it's one game, from one developer... Sony has a bunch of first party/combined regional dev teams... that's what's being discussed there...

Too much Halo on the brain...

Striek

Funny comment, funny thread. Time will tell. Although I can't tell why anyone would care if Sony did die/get ****ed over on PS3. Just giving me access to the PS3+PSP is a worthy enough cause for them to go out on. I'm certainly not crying because I'm getting the coolest electronics at an unstably low price.

januswon

HocusPocus said:
I believe Microsoft is on course to make money soon. So it's not an unprofitable venture if you have a good business plan. Microsoft's original Xbox one wasn't, and it appears the PS3 one is following suit. :)

MS's Xbox360 sales is still after the PS2
And MS is going to launch a new handheld later.
This might not be profitable until a couple of years later.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tamanon said:
To be fair, Merrill Lynch are a bunch of douches anyways, at least from everyone I know that worked there:p

Dcharlie works for ML...

Top Bottom