• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Message from Shuhei Yoshida - Driveclub PS+ Delayed Until Further Notice

RoKKeR

I can't even imagine the monetary situation this game is.

Year long delay. Low sales due to PS Plus version and mediocre reviews, refunds, negative perception, I feel bad for the team but damn, what a mess.

Hope Evo survives this but the odds aren't exactly in their favor.

Nasser

I honestly lost interest even in the PS+ edition. I was planning on getting the PS+ edition and then maybe get the full game later... but now, I won't be playing either of them.

Skyzard

Banned
So basically if you thought you were close to getting that promised taste of Driveclub, you better think again and pony up full price.

LuuKyK

Having launched a social network from scratch for a previous game project (COH Online) I sympathize with what the Evolution guys are going through.

COH as in City of Heroes? Wow, if yes. Loved that game and used to play it a lot before it got shut down. Had no idea you were involved in it.

Sony doesn't have a massive network of dedicated servers for their games you guys. Each game/developer sets up its own, all Sony can do is give them the resources (money) to make sure they can get what they need.

If they make a mistake in either the design or number needed that's on them.

Geedorah

That's the final nail in the coffin for those asking "was DriveClub's launch a debacle?" - I think we all have our answer loud and clear.

Zomba13

Given the situation, it's the smart move.

Releasing on PS+ would only add millions more users to the servers and bottleneck things even more.

First priority has to be to those to paid for the full version of DriveClub.

Absolutely. Though I still find it shocking how they got into that mess in the first place. You'd think a big PS4 exclusive that touts it's online social connectivity would at least get that aspect working. Did they only test it with like 5 people connected or something?

Id be more outraged if Driveclub didn't look boring as shit to play, but this is a serious black mark on Sonys face especially with the crappy PS+ offerings as of late.

majik13

seems at this point they will have to relaunch the game. I wonder if they are preparing extra free content to appease the masses, if that happens.

Krakn3Dfx

That's a bummer.

welp.gif

I may pick it up used, already copies showing up in bulk at the local Gamestop. I played a bit through Shareplay on a friend's PS4 and actually had a lot of fun with it, and I'm not usually a racing guy. Game looked amazing, even running at 720p.

entremet

They better. This is as much of a fuck up on Sony's part as Evo's. Killing a studio for one bad experience would be bonkers, given their pedigree up to now.

So. SimCity, Diablo 3, Driveclub...that socially connected online experience seems like a death knell for good public relations lately.

Unless some magic happens, the Driveclub IP is dead, though. Do you think people will buy DC2 after this mess?

Too late, can't be bothered to care anymore. I'll still play it when it comes out but man am I glad I didn't decide to buy this in the end, if they still can't guarantee online service to paying members that they need to take a step as drastic as this.

Also, I know this is horribly unfair, but it kills me more and more that Sony shuttered Studio Liverpool and the Wipeout franchise to facilitate this bullshit.

dugdug

Banned
"We will continue to update you on progress"

Continue? This is the first thing you've said since day two. Almost an entire month ago.

And, if this is acknowledgement that the game is not 100% working, then, we can all get refunds for the digital copy right?

theRizzle

They are going to end up putting the full game on PS+ when they finally get this mess sorted out. Nobody will be buying it by that point anyways.

~~Hasan~~

I am a proud owner of the game and I do not regret purchasing it at all. A very fun game and the online when it works, it's amazing. No regrets and I hope they sort it out .

I know this is selfish. But I am happy that the ps plus version is delayed. The game deserve a sequel and I hope with the free version is getting delayed, gamers that want a racing game will go buy it this xmas.

Nzyme32

Well its pretty clear these days that games are far more complicated than they used to be, so while these things are rare, they should be somewhat expected from time to time.

Assuming the message will be followed through on, at least they are prioritising making the experience of using the thing as best as possible rather than pushing it out and getting more issues

Gurish

Can they just release the Plus edition without online for now? some of us just want to get a feel for the game and enjoy the visuals, playing the campaign is better than nothing at all, they can add the online later for PS+ edition with a patch just like weather and other stuff.

Pretty disappointing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I was as hyped as anyone else for this game.

Currently, I have no intentions on ever buying ANYTHING from Evolution Studious anymore.

Seriously, fuck that.

Should really offer some kind of compensation to PS+ members at this point.

Driveclub was going to be the closest thing to a real game to hit + on PS4 so far. Delaying it indefinitely on top of a already lacklustre PS+ offering is shitty.

Didn't the last motorstorm game bomb?

That wasn't really Evo's fault - they postponed its release due to sensitivity regarding the Japan earthquake/tsunami (considering the games content).

It then stealth released at a later date and no one cared about it anymore

Top Bottom