• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Message from Shuhei Yoshida - Driveclub PS+ Delayed Until Further Notice

I am still sad that online is not up to par but I must say DriveClub is one of the best racing games I have played. It is stupidly addicting when trying to beat your own time on a track.

I just hope this doesn't delay the weather update...

I can see the rage now when the current iteration of the PS+ version never comes to be and instead six months down the road the full-version is given on PS+ as one of the month's free games.

this is going to happen indeed. Monetize on dlcs. The main game just got burned.

Zyae

It sounds like in the statement he said that they are deploying additional resources to assist Evo.

Translation: Evo doesn't know how to fix it so Shu stepped in and sent in "top men" to try and bail them out

so it took them a month after the promised date to realize this an to say anything about it publicly?

jcm

Sony doesn't have a massive network of dedicated servers for their games you guys. Each game/developer sets up its own, all Sony can do is give them the resources (money) to make sure they can get what they need.

If they make a mistake in either the design or number needed that's on them.

This can't have anything to do with server resources. There are massive networks of servers available for the asking. The is obviously some other problem.

Mogwai

DriveClub in one picture

runner-wins-race.gif[img]

Jburton

Banned
Additional engineering resources eh? Just how shit is the core online programming in DriveClub to require whats looking like a quarter of additional development to save?

Yeah. "Shit is fucked. Please understand. Bye".

This is the feeling I've been getting from Sony all year. So many dropped balls. Lots due to the tightening of the financial leash, others by just poor choices. Disappointing to see because they came out of the gate STRONG.

Tightening of the financial leash?

Another one making shit up, going forward into 2015 Sony looks much better than MS.

And even with a weaker software lineup they have sold twice what MS have, hardly dropping the ball.

GlamFM

Banned
This game from top to bottom, from the one year delay over the review scores to this mess of a situation is just a huge embarrassment for Evo and Sony.

They have to come up with something to make up for it.

Budhapalm

Banned
Evo dropped the ball on the launch,

I thoroughly enjoy the single player and the multi-player (when working).

I will buy DriveClub2 but I think Evo lost a bunch of Supporters with this amateurish release.

This can't have anything to do with server resources. There are massive networks of servers available for the asking. The is obviously some other problem.

Yeah it's not the amount of servers, as Evo has said before, it's how the game accesses them.

Something to do with the way the game is designed, it sounds like it's basically just DDOSing their own network with all the traffic from the online features. But I'm sure it's not that simple

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What a mess. I can see this launch turning into a study case for either game releases or studio management.

Chaplain

As I told my wife last night, two things MS has that Sony will not be able to counter are 1) their online service/servers and 2) their firmware updates. Unless Sony changes things up, they will be unable to fix both problems as long as they are unwilling to spend the money needed to upgrade their infrastructure and have their firmware team handled by anyone other than Japan (since they are the ones in charge of it).

The firmware issue isn't related to Driveclub, but the online services/servers is. I do not believe MS would have any problems handling a game like Driveclub due to their experience with online services and servers for 20+ years. Many might disagree with my assessment of the whole situation, but I think these type of problems will begin to bring gamers back to MS (as seen in some of the threads here on GAF lately).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
At least they finally responded but it sounds like the game is going to be broken for a long time still. Really sad launch for a game that was delayed a year and not the outcome you want from a new IP.

sangreal

cool, will they be extending my ps+ so I can play it when they get around to releasing it?

Has this been removed from sale on the online store? I thought I saw this last night and presumed I'd just misread, but when I check now it says "NOT AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE":

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/games/driveclub/cid=EP9000-CUSA00003_00-XXXXXXXDRIVECLUB

EDIT: Full version, not PS+ version...

it shows as not available because if you have ps+ you can only buy the ps+ discounted version

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
What a total fuck up. I was all ready to give them the money for the upgrade, I just wanted to try it for an hour first. Hopefully this either results in an upgrade to the network of some sort, or they give us the full version if and when they can.

Probably Company of Heroes as I think he works for Relic.

Bish works for Relic?! Thats hands down one of my favorite developers (please give me some more dawn of war please)

Anyway back on topic:
I am wondering if Evo will give out some of the paid DLC for free because of this, if they make the whole game a PS+ game I might be a little miffed if the people who bought it didn't get at least something for the online being down.

Jburton

Banned
If you want to make it up to us, make the PS+ version the full/complete version.

Why?

People who paid full price deserve the attention.

Also who paid for a year sub for an extended demo?

If you did you need help, could have bought the full game for that and been playing already.

Jimrpg

From the Driveclub Facebook page.

I am still a supporter of Evo and think the game is great, but many this launch really is going to kill the game's community. Looks like we could still be weeks or months away from it actually working, if it ever does. Very disappointing.

Also - sucks for everyone waiting on the PS+ edition. I don't think we'll be seeing it any time soon based on the wording in that message.

Its a complete clusterfuck. I really feel for Evo. Sure the single player still works, but that's like half the game. I'm not going to call for resignations and closing down of the studio or any of that stupid nonsense and I hope people on here are mature enough not to. BUT they've really shot themselves in the foot, they've missed their window of opportunity in the holiday season and sending out a message like this is basically like asking people to hold off on buying the game. Or hey everyone go get an xbox one and forza horizon 2.

This online mess only justifies the shitty reviews which infuriates me because it deserved better reviews (if the online was working).

I would like to have a personal rant of my own, skimming through the DC threads every now and then.

Post like 'RIP Evo, Evo will probably get laid off, etc" really bothers me.

I find defaulting to the thought that dozens, maybe hundreds of people will be laid off just because of a mess like this is really emotionally gruelling. There's probably Evo devs reading this right now, and they're seeing fans saying stuff like that.

I know you all don't have any negative or ill thoughts about your statements, and you're probably just making educated guesses, but the tone of it just makes me uncomfortable.

/end rant

Sorry about that.

iceatcs

Evolution is a first party. Sony are the ones that didn't do enough to check they knew what the hell they were doing.

I don't think it is how it work, because people can lie.
Evolution might have lied to Sony that everything is fine then Sony go ahead with the release.

That's mean Evolution is totally fucked.

Quotient

I don't think Evolution should be shut-down, but the person/team responsible for the online portion is probably going to be out of a job once this is all done. This online issues has probably cost Evolution/Sony significant game sales.

Tightening of the financial leash?

Another one making shit up, going forward into 2015 Sony looks much better than MS.

And even with a weaker software lineup they have sold twice what MS have, hardly dropping the ball.

Uhhhh you know sony and microsoft arent just one department dedicated to gaming right?

Sony is having a ton of hardships all over, PS4 being one of the only bright spots.

Overall microsoft is much healthier.

Its a complete clusterfuck. I really feel for Evo. Sure the single player still works, but that's like half the game. I'm not going to call for resignations and closing down of the studio or any of that stupid nonsense and I hope people on here are mature enough not to. BUT they've really shot themselves in the foot, they've missed their window of opportunity in the holiday season and sending out a message like this is basically like asking people to hold off on buying the game. Or hey everyone go get an xbox one and forza horizon 2.

This online mess only justifies the shitty reviews which infuriates me because it deserved better reviews (if the online was working).

Yup I totally agree. I sympathize with them but you don't get many second chances in this industry. When you build a SOCIALLY connected game and the social aspect is broken for this long, the game is dead. I'm sure there will be a small base of players that stick around to see things out (like myself), but the chance for them to really break out with this title is gone.

Thats fucked up. One of the reasons i bothered with PS+ was cause i was of the understanding that, at first, i was supposed to get a free copy of DC. Then it was downgraded to a lesser version of DC. Okay, fair enough. Now its the 'postponed til further notice' version which generally translates to 'lol i dunno'. Great going, Sony/Evo.

Kill3r7

Once the kinks are worked out, Sony should offer the complete game on PS+ (assuming the issues are resolved by spring 2015).

legacyzero

Banned
Id be more mad if I'd have bought the game and not have been able to play online. That said, I'm not losing my shit for not being able to play the PS+ version yet. These things happen sometimes, and throwing a fit about it doesnt do anything.

I just hope Sony learns a big lesson from this, especially since PS+ is mandatory for online play now.

Once the kinks are worked out, Sony should offer the complete game on PS+ (assuming the issues are resolved by spring 2015).
...and burn the folks that actually bought the game?

That wouldn't go over well.

Top Bottom