• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Message from Shuhei Yoshida - Driveclub PS+ Delayed Until Further Notice

Jburton

Banned
Uhhhh you know sony and microsoft arent just one department dedicated to gaming right?

Sony is having a ton of hardships all over, PS4 being one of the only bright spots.

Overall microsoft is much healthier.

Yeah, I'm talking about software going into 2015.

Also wanted proof of where Sony tightened the financial leash on the PS division.

Uhhh learn to read.

Mugatu

Once the kinks are worked out, Sony should offer the complete game on PS+ (assuming the issues are resolved by spring 2015).

I would like that but I think it would really piss off (and rightly so) the people who paid for it and still didn't get a functional game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Tightening of the financial leash?

Another one making shit up, going forward into 2015 Sony looks much better than MS.

And even with a weaker software lineup they have sold twice what MS have, hardly dropping the ball.

Quite a few teams and projects disbanded over the past couple of years. Sony is looking to spend as little as possible while of course Microsoft still has infinite money to play with.

Can it really be disputed the current PS4/Vita output is anywhere close to the PSP/PS3 years in sheer number of projects and releases?

Sulla1980

If this game would have kept to its release date, I would have been all over the PS+ edition.

Now, with the games coming out this month, I don't see where I will have the time.

MisterM

They really fucked this one up.

I was in the "I'll try the PS+ version, if I enjoy it I'll spring for the full game" camp. Now, I don't even care, I have lost most of my interest in Driveclub. I feel I'm not alone either.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Sending more "engineer support" - yep....

Someone massively shat the netcode of this game. Incompetence, too ambitious, a mix of many of these things - consumers do not care....

Point is there are some inept goons at Evo that WILL/SHOULD get the Axe. First party studio treatment, budget support......you're expected to deliver a working product w/ minimal bugs. Sony is getting bad PR over this crap - won't sit well with the higher ups in such a crucial moment in the console race on top of the disgruntled users.....

Like in any job - you can commit small mistakes and hope you don't get fired but boy don't mess up big - you'll get the boot and understandably so...

Sony will have to refund those that ask for it. Gift current owners some type of compensation down the line. Make the PS Plus version work flawlessly and keep post-launch support with a small group BEFORE firing and/or closing Evo. Inexcusable from Evo.

Radec

50046778.jpg

o1J8vys.jpg

Quotient

Its a complete clusterfuck. I really feel for Evo. Sure the single player still works, but that's like half the game. I'm not going to call for resignations and closing down of the studio or any of that stupid nonsense and I hope people on here are mature enough not to. BUT they've really shot themselves in the foot, they've missed their window of opportunity in the holiday season and sending out a message like this is basically like asking people to hold off on buying the game. Or hey everyone go get an xbox one and forza horizon 2.

This online mess only justifies the shitty reviews which infuriates me because it deserved better reviews (if the online was working).

I don't think anyone wants to see the studio shutdown, but no doubt there will be some terminations.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Lol no one cares anymore.

RE_Player

The Driveclub IP is dead and Evolution won't be around in a couple years. Sad but that's what will happen after this colossal fuck up, this coming from someone who bought the game and enjoy the gameplay.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That wasn't really Evo's fault - they postponed its release due to sensitivity regarding the Japan earthquake/tsunami (considering the games content).

It then stealth released at a later date and no one cared about it anymore
Didn't it launch while PSN was down for a while as well?

ryseing

Poor Rushy. Evo is likely done. What a mess.

Again, this is a damn shame because DC at its core is quite good, and had loads of sequel potential. IP is dead now though.

Didn't it launch while PSN was down for a while as well?

Ayup. That and SOCOM.

And those who paid full price?

PS+ never cared for early adopters sensibilities. I'm not sure what the shortest gap between retail release and PS+ release has been, but I think it must be close to 9 months.
Regardless of that, I believe that back in early 2013 the idea was that we would get the full experience with PS+ anyway.

Jburton

Banned
Thats fucked up. One of the reasons i bothered with PS+ was cause i was of the understanding that, at first, i was supposed to get a free copy of DC. Then it was downgraded to a lesser version of DC. Okay, fair enough. Now its the 'postponed til further notice' version which generally translates to 'lol i dunno'. Great going, Sony/Evo.

When was it ever stated there would be a free copy?

And why did you spend the money on a sub when it would have bought you the game, some of you people don't make sense.

I would like to have a personal rant of my own, skimming through the DC threads every now and then.

Post like 'RIP Evo, Evo will probably get laid off, etc" really bothers me.

I find defaulting to the thought that dozens, maybe hundreds of people will be laid off just because of a mess like this is really emotionally gruelling. There's probably Evo devs reading this right now, and they're seeing fans saying stuff like that.

I know you all don't have any negative or ill thoughts about your statements, and you're probably just making educated guesses, but the tone of it just makes me uncomfortable.

/end rant

Sorry about that.

Why not. Sony gave them ample time and investment to make this game and this is what they get for it? Even online component aside the game is kinda barebones. Hell, the bad review scores came when online was working. I'm not saying people anywhere deserve to lose their jobs but they shut down Liverpool and Zipper and their games worked. Would suck for those involved but I don't think Sony would be in the wrong.

What a catastrophic failure. I was really excited to try this game out (it’s been years since I’ve been into a racing game,) and they wait three weeks to say this. Amazing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I would like to have a personal rant of my own, skimming through the DC threads every now and then.

Post like 'RIP Evo, Evo will probably get laid off, etc" really bothers me.

I find defaulting to the thought that dozens, maybe hundreds of people will be laid off just because of a mess like this is really emotionally gruelling. There's probably Evo devs reading this right now, and they're seeing fans saying stuff like that.

I know you all don't have any negative or ill thoughts about your statements, and you're probably just making educated guesses, but the tone of it just makes me uncomfortable.

/end rant

Sorry about that.
I think there's a large difference between speculating on it and directly calling for it.

driver116

It's things like this which worries me about Sony. They really need to pull together their European studios. Same with Japan.

Metfanant

what a disaster...ill still check out the PS+ version, but the chances of me ever upgrading to the full version diminish by the day..not because they game isnt good enough, but it holds less and less importance as more games are released...

really, its pretty unacceptable for this game to have been given a whole additional year of development time and to have these types of problems...they have probably just about killed the franchise at this point, and as much as i hate to see it, you would imagine heads HAVE to roll at Evo for this...

phanphare

Banned
This is the feeling I've been getting from Sony all year. So many dropped balls. Lots due to the tightening of the financial leash, others by just poor choices. Disappointing to see because they came out of the gate STRONG.

it's kind of crazy. Sony had this gen in the bag before the console even launched (they probably still do tbh) but it's like they're trying to give it away. it's ridiculous.

Elios83

A wasted project which was given an extra year of resources for nothing.
I doubt that Evolution will survive this mess, if they're lucky they might get to make an other Motorstorm.

You waited 3 weeks to say this shit?

Easily my biggest gripe.

Why did it take almost a month to come out with something like this? It doesn't take weeks to type out and proofread what he just said. These companies keep their customers in the dark way too often. We all know you fucked something up so why not just come out and admit it and lend some sort of explanation or assurance that it's being resolved? Even if it's not genuine it at least elicits a sense of urgency on their part so it doesn't seem like they just took everybody's money and are sticking them with a broken product.

Jburton

Banned
Quite a few teams and projects disbanded over the past couple of years. Sony is looking to spend as little as possible while of course Microsoft still has infinite money to play with.

Can it really be disputed the current PS4/Vita output is anywhere close to the PSP/PS3 years in sheer number of projects and releases?

Early days, it took a while for the first party on PS3 to ramp up.

Again you provide no proof just conjecture.

Sony showed far more exclusives at r3 and gamescom than MS did.

I think there's a large difference between speculating on it and directly calling for it.

I know, I also know that 99% of the post are likely just speculation. Which is why even though speculations like this pretty much happen since the game got delayed last year, I ignore them.

I'm just making my thoughts known a little bit. It's just a mechanism to make myself feel a bit better. Ignore it. Like I said. it's a rant and I apologise.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
it's kind of crazy. Sony had this gen in the bag before the console even launched (they probably still do tbh) but it's like they're trying to give it away. it's ridiculous.

Again, it's what they do when they win. It's like people don't remember PS2 Sony vs PS3 Sony.

Chaplain

Bollocks. This isn't a in-house Sony game, this disaster has fuck all to do with them.

As has been said, its obviously got nothing at all to do with numbers of servers, there is something critically wrong with the game itself or they'd have fixed it by now by simply turning more servers on.

I see it differently:

With the high volume of new players and additional server load the PS Plus Edition is anticipated to bring, we are currently not confident that we can guarantee the best online experience.

Begaria

Huh? What happened with Diablo 3? I've heard nothing but good things about it.

You weren't around when it was first released, then.

PC launch was a disaster

Pretty much. It's much, MUCH, better now and it took only about a week to get most of the kinks to be worked out for Diablo 3. However, launch day was a complete disaster and it wasn't great for the first week of release.

Top Bottom