• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Message from Shuhei Yoshida - Driveclub PS+ Delayed Until Further Notice

Kill3r7

I would like that but I think it would really piss off (and rightly so) the people who paid for it and still didn't get a functional game.

Give them free DLC or a voucher ($15-$20) to use towards a PSN game of their choice. Also, there is a difference (however minor) between owning a game and getting a game as a PS+ offering.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nice of him to address the public, but damage is done.

Driveclub brand is damaged, promised content is still not released, current players are getting sub-par experience and Evolution will have a lot of PR problems with their next projects.

I'm still eagerly awaiting PS+ version.

Abounder

Banned
This is worse than even EA launches like BF4 and Sim City, godspeed Evo but this shit is unacceptable and disappointing for AAA studios

Gestault

As much of an ongoing problem as this situation is, I'm glad to at least have a more definite statement one way or the other, and from someone high enough to effectively take the blame.

RdN

Train wreck completed.

Honestly, I don't feel bad for Evo. They got a full year delay to work on the game and make sure this kind of thing wouldn't happen. There's no excuse.

Hopefully when the PS+ Edition comes out, they'll deliver to us more than a glorified demo.

El_Cinefilo

They really fucked this one up.

I was in the "I'll try the PS+ version, if I enjoy it I'll spring for the full game" camp. Now, I don't even care, I have lost most of my interest in Driveclub. I feel I'm not alone either.

Definitely not alone, I'm exactly the same. lost interest about 2 weeks ago abd bought other games. at this point I'm out completely.

dugdug

Banned
They've been updating people constantly since the game has been released. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean they didn't do it. And yes, you can get a refund and they have been giving them out.

Evo's facebook? Yeah, they have.

Sony? The publisher who I bought this game from? Hasn't mentioned the name Driveclub since the day after it came out, and only to say "um, yeah, just go to Evo's facebook, sry"

Dumping it on Facebook, which plenty of people refuse to use, is shady as shit. Put it on the blog and own up to it.

There seems to be a lot of misconception on what a first party studio is.

Sony's WWS are not all working under the same roof with every Sony asset available to them at any point.

They are still largely independent teams working all over the world in different offices. Sony signs their checks and assigns people to keep in touch with them, give them what they need/ask for, and make sure things are on schedule.

I don't really see how people can fault Sony as a whole for this problem - they can't possibly have their own independent team review every line of code in every game that the WWS put out. At some point you have trust that your teams are competent enough to ship a functional product, and it's obviously that Evolution made some mistakes here.

But your PS+ subscription and paid online multiplayer has pretty much nothing to do with what happened with Driveclub.

Man this is unfortunate. Seems like communication was lost, or Evo said they could fix it sooner but couldn't, or Sony was trying to cover up how bad it was by staying silent until they saw how long it would take and couldn't stay silent any longer. Also Sony sending in top men to help expedite the fix seems like the problem is big, or at least big enough to cause an even longer delay, hope the extra help helps fix everything.

I hope they can work this out as soon as possible, but with this and the OS update problems and the occasional PSN issues, Sony needs to get back on the horse. They need to remember that they gained a lot of ground this generation because MS screwed up so bad in the eyes of the public, they can't rest on their laurels like they did with the PS3 launch.

I love my PS4, I've loved all my playstations since the PSone, but this is the kind of stuff that can taint your brand. Bloodborne your're my only hope!

PJV3

It's sad to see a project that has been bubbling away for years in the background to fall apart like this. I'm still going to get the game when the weather patch is released, if it's fixed by then.

Yeah, makes the whole pre launch Xbox stuff seem like child's play.

Please tell me you're joking because if you aren't I will make sure to disregard anything you ever say on any topic.

Evo's facebook? Yeah, they have.

Sony? The publisher who I bought this game from? Hasn't mentioned the name Driveclub since the day after it came out, and only to say "um, yeah, just go to Evo's facebook, sry"

Dumping it on Facebook, which plenty of people refuse to use, is shady as shit. Put it on the blog and own up to it.

What the fuck are you even talking about? You're being ridiculous, and they just did put it on the blog so I don't know what your problem is.

Quotient

Quite a few teams and projects disbanded over the past couple of years. Sony is looking to spend as little as possible while of course Microsoft still has infinite money to play with.

Can it really be disputed the current PS4/Vita output is anywhere close to the PSP/PS3 years in sheer number of projects and releases?

We are only 12 months in. Its not like Microsoft's output is leagues ahead of Sony's, they've just stacked the holiday period.

iceatcs

They should have stick with traditional online racing like Motorstorm.

There is no point to have social features at all because I don't see something to do with review. Everyone rather use PSN for social, not in-game.

This is a real shame but they only have themselves to blame. Hard to believe that after a friggin' 1 year delay something like this still happens.
This IP had promise but I'm not seeing a future for it after this. If Yoshida felt the need to write that message they probably aren't seeing light at the end of the tunnel yet which at this point is just unacceptable.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Launching a game that relys on MP heavily is a daunting task. Feeling bad for the Evo guys - hoping they pull through this! I'm still really looking forward to checking out the PS+ version.

Mugatu

Please tell me you're joking because if you aren't I will make sure to disregard anything you ever say on any topic.

Considering everything that's happened since then he's right. MS screwed up royally but they've since stepped up and listened. Sony has don't nothing right, it seems, since launch.

Enilced2

Till this day, never got this game to connect to Multiplayer ...

BF4 was far worse.

BF4 was at least playable online day 1 or even with in the 3 weeks from the day it released. That and they made it for 5 platforms and didn't delay it when they honestly probably should have for 6 months

DC was delayed for a year and made for one platform ...

Yea DC launch is much worse

This is such a mess...

Paying for multiplayer was suposed to avoid these situations. WTF Sony.

All PS+ users should get an AAA game (Destiny, Unity or COD) as an apology. The less Sony could do.

When was it ever stated there would be a free copy?

And why did you spend the money on a sub when it would have bought you the game, some of you people don't make sense.

It was stated when the game was announced. It was to be a PS+ free game. Then it became a stripped down version for PS+. Now its vapourware for PS+.

I spent money on a sub because i got other free games from PS+, obviously. DC was jsut the driving force. Pun intended.

You literally cant defend this. The game launched broken, the promised PS+ version hasnt appeared and may never appear, its a broken game, and a failure of a launch, its as simpel as that.

Vorheez

Yeah, I tried to wait for it to get better because I really wanted to like driveclub but this is just too much. So, I called last night and got a refund, bought Alien: Isolation instead

With all that's been going on I wonder what the status of the weather and mode updates are?

I'm really glad that I didn't cave and buy the season pass now.

Garbage game.
Utterly medicore (at best) studio.
Can't understand why they are still a Sony studio.

What a disaster and disgrace for the SCEWW Studios. Delayed one year, launches without being finished (weather getting patched in "later") and then it's completely broken and the studio doesn't know how to fix it.
Stick a fork in it.

RE_Player

Also maybe I'm reading into this too much but I find that their updates being posted on Facebook show how little Sony cares about this and considers the game a write off. If they were seriously invested in the Driveclub name and game wouldn't they have a dedicated site or post on the PlayStation Blog?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is such a mess...

Paying for multiplayer was suposed to avoid these situations. WTF Sony.

All PS+ users should get an AAA game (Destiny, Unity or COD) as an apology. The less Sony could do.

lmao

This is a colossal fuck up, but some of the posts in this thread...

ironcreed

Banned
Whatever. I have Forza Horizon 2 to fulfill my driving game needs and a host of other games to play this Fall and on into Winter next year. This just further confirms that Driveclub is no longer even on my radar.

Launching a game that relys on MP heavily is a daunting task. Feeling bad for the Evo guys - hoping they pull through this! I'm still really looking forward to checking out the PS+ version.
Yeah, I can only imagine.

Hang in there Evo! Hope all gets sorted out.

Garbage game.
Utterly medicore (at best) studio.
Can't understand why they are still a Sony studio.

What a disaster and disgrace for the SCEWW Studios. Delayed one year, launches without being finished (weather getting patched in "later") and then it's completely broken and the studio doesn't know have to fix it.
Stick a fork in it.
Lol... I hope you're joking. Shit happens, it was their fault but they're still a great studio.

jmood88

Shu to the rescue. Thanks for the update Shu. They admitted mistakes were made and they're working on it.

To the rescue? He just said that a game that people paid for will continue to be broken for the foreseeable future.

I am a proud owner of the game and I do not regret purchasing it at all. A very fun game and the online when it works, it's amazing. No regrets and I hope they sort it out .

I know this is selfish. But I am happy that the ps plus version is delayed. The game deserve a sequel and I hope with the free version is getting delayed, gamers that want a racing game will go buy it this xmas.

You really think that people are going to pay for a broken game that has gotten bad reviews?

The Driveclub IP is dead and Evolution won't be around in a couple years. Sad but that's what will happen after this colossal fuck up, this coming from someone who bought the game and enjoy the gameplay.

Who is going to use the engine? They spent a lot making the engine, which I assume we will see in future IPs?

... STUDIO LIVAH POOL REVEALS WIPEOUT RECLAIMED, WITH FUTURISTIC FORESTS AND MOUNTAIN ENVIRONMENTS!

Mugatu

Also maybe I'm reading into this too much but I find that their updates being posted on Facebook show how little Sony cares about this and considers the game a write off. If they were seriously invested in the Driveclub name and game wouldn't they have a dedicated site or post on the PlayStation Blog?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm willing to assume that this is just their preferred method of contacting their fans but it still feels cheesy to do it on Facebook.

Loudninja

You cannot be serious.

Wil348

keep-calm-and-******************-2.png

The irony hurts.

Quotient

It makes me wonder what they were doing with the 10 month delay? I thought it would have been a focused on the online component (and obvious continued fine-tuning of the graphics and driving physics).

Perhaps they game was in such a bad state at the PS4's launch they needed the 10 months just to get the single player portion in shipping state.

Top Bottom