• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.gif
hqdefault.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not even close. They are in a much better place now, in terms of consumer friendly policies and services.
Sure. but notice how you mentioned policies and services and not games. This is not the service industry, we are talking about games and they wont have any AAA next gen exclusives for the first three years. Even Don Matrick knew you had to have next gen games on your next gen platform.

JonnyMP3

Man, as an old fart, I miss the days of Arcades where you were just a 'Gamer' and everyone invested in as much as anyone else...
A quarter or 20p a time. No one bitching about what they had at home and how superior it was, because the most superior machine was that Arcade cabinet we all stood around, trying to get better. The only war was about skill and the old school version of 'Git Gud'.

I've been in previous wars myself in as a kid in the 90s and various companies dropped the ball. But as an adult, I realised that whatever happens it's the company's own fault mostly. The decisions they make and path they follow is always their own undoing. No company is infallible. Atari fell. Sega fell. Both Sony and Nintendo almost fell from their own hubris too. And now Microsoft, after having 1 successful gen, seem to have left the game never mind just dropping the ball. Dropping the ball was current gen. Sony on the otherhand have learned from their PS3 fiasco. Nintendo learned from their Wii U disaster.

If Microsoft showed they could learn and actually give gamers what they want, there probably wouldn't be so much repressed rage. Yeah the Xbox hyperbole sometimes gets to me and I do enjoy a bit of fud shutting when huge massive marketing claims are spouted about how Xbox is going to change the entire gaming industry. But for the love of God, get rid of all the suck ups and business men. Find some gamer centric executives, like Peter Moore was and do more than just Halo, Gears and Forza.

But I also think it's kinda easy to bait Xbox fanboys as well because of such a lacklustre current gen, they're now reduced to becoming Microsoft's own mini PR machines, feeding off the spoon of marketing spiel because they weren't fed exclusive GOTY contender games like Sony and Nintendo feed their audience.

Sorry for the random essay.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sure. but notice how you mentioned policies and services and not games. This is not the service industry, we are talking about games and they wont have any AAA next gen exclusives for the first three years. Even Don Matrick knew you had to have next gen games on your next gen platform.
"This is not the service industry" is an irrelevant point. MS' policies and services are in place to facilitate game playing, and that's what they do. They don't have as many quality exclusives, but that's not the end all and be all of the gaming industry as a whole. If that's the main thing for you, then sure, I can see how 2013 MS is better than 2020 MS. While that's a big part for me too (the only reason I have any console at all is for exclusives like FF7R), I feel like that's only a part of a larger whole, which is why I ultimately feel that MS is in a better place now than they were in 2013.

JonnyMP3

My God! Now I understand why Bo and Sir come here to escape now. I've found where the adults hang.
Just tried going back to GD and my head actually started to hurt reading some of the stuff people are actually writing. I feel stripped of my war armour or something...

We... Are Hollow! :lollipop_horns:

Man, as an old fart, I miss the days of Arcades where you were just a 'Gamer' and everyone invested in as much as anyone else...
A quarter or 20p a time. No one bitching about what they had at home and how superior it was, because the most superior machine was that Arcade cabinet we all stood around, trying to get better. The only war was about skill and the old school version of 'Git Gud'.

As an old fart I have enough money to buy anything I want. Console wars are for the kids.

In Arcades you could get stabbed for grabbing too much in fighting games. It was an awesome time.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
We need a generic TV show thread like the anyone watch any good movies lately thread. 6 seasons of Fear Factor added to Amazon Prime, great background show.

You see my old man's got a problem
He live with the bottle that's the way it is
He says his body's too old for working
I say his body's too young to look like his

My mama went off and left him
She wanted more from life than he could give
I said somebody's got to take care of him
So I quit school and that's what I did

JonnyMP3

You see my old man's got a problem
He live with the bottle that's the way it is
He says his body's too old for working