• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

XVrLlfp.jpg
Will Smith:
[Looks down at his cousin, Carlton Banks]

"DON'T LET ME COME DOWN THERE!"

Barnabot

I'm at 3/6. They expire january 23. Gotta stay out of the nintendo threads until then. Gets too heated 😳 😳
So you are basically telling people to spam several 'Man I wish we had a Switch Pro' threads until you get defeated?
Those threads suck!

Nymphae

Banned
wtf never mind. i got another warning and no warning that i got it. i wish you got a notification or something when you get warned.

I had no idea these even existed until people started posting screenshots, a warning really should come with a notification to ensure the user has a chance to read and heed it.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
wtf never mind. i got another warning and no warning that i got it. i wish you got a notification or something when you get warned.

It should have sent an alert notification. It is checked by default, unless it was accidently unchecked.

I had no idea these even existed until people started posting screenshots, a warning really should come with a notification to ensure the user has a chance to read and heed it.

It does by default.

brap

Banned
It should have sent an alert notification. It is checked by default, unless it was accidently unchecked.
Out of all my warnings the only one I ever got a notification for was the first one about console warring recently. I had to click a thing and acknowledge that I saw it. Never had any like that before.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Out of all my warnings the only one I ever got a notification for was the first one about console warring recently. I had to click a thing and acknowledge that I saw it. Never had any like that before.

It's a fairly new feature that also introduced the warning page for you to see on your profile.

Kagey K

Banned
It's a fairly new feature that also introduced the warning page for you to see on your profile.
I have to admit I did like the acknowledge warning feature. i think you guys should use it more. It tells a user why they got the warning and they cant pretend they didn’t see it.

if it was used in conjunction with ban replies from low effort posts it could really help the gaming discourse., but that’s just my opinion.

I don’t want to see people getting banned left and right (or at all for that matter,) I want to see people that put no effort in saying “Xbox has no games,” or “All Sonys games are movies” get reply banned from that conversation, with a Mod note on the post.

I think think this could go a long way towards creating positive discussion and stops threads from getting derailed by one shitpost.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I have to admit I did like the acknowledge warning feature. i think you guys should use it more. It tells a user why they got the warning and they cant pretend they didn’t see it.

if it was used in conjunction with ban replies from low effort posts it could really help the gaming discourse., but that’s just my opinion.

I don’t want to see people getting banned left and right (or at all for that matter,) I want to see people that put no effort in saying “Xbox has no games,” or “All Sonys games are movies” get reply banned from that conversation, with a Mod note on the post.

I think think this could go a long way towards creating positive discussion and stops threads from getting derailed by one shitpost.
Welcome back :)

-Arcadia-

Banned

Not arguing, as I totally see what you’re getting at, and want positive discussion myself, but the line between free discussion and non-trolly discussion is really hard to maintain.

For example, those may be low-effort quotes, but I personally think there’s a grain of truth to both. Should someone get kicked out of a thread for saying something with a grain of truth to it? I really don’t know about that.

I think the only thing that can happen, really, is what is currently happening. Give the bad actors enough rope to hang themselves with, and if they display repeated disruptive, fanboy behavior, ban or remove them from the thread.

I think an avenue that users can take is to ignore (not with the feature, just ignore) these people, and contribute something positive to the thread for people to discuss instead. When we get caught up with people like this, we take the bait, and we contribute to that negativity, becoming just as guilty of ruining the thread.

I totally get wanting to call out bad behavior, and do so, but a lot of these people just want to drag you, and the thread, into the mud with them. I guess it’s key for us to recognize that when it’s happening, back off, and return to productive discussion in the thread. Not like the mods won’t take care of it, probably with a humorous, deserved ban message too.

I don't know why people hate or love companies unconditionally.

Call them out of they do dumb stuff but praise the better parts of their decisions.

Sony makes Hollywopd-esque games but I wouldn't say that those are the only games they make but I choose to ignore those.

Nintendo make games for pure fun but not every franchise interests me but that is fine but I get my enjoyment from some of them I do enjoy.

Same with Microsoft and SEGA, I perfer Microsoft's Online approach but I am not the biggest fan of their First Party output, but I think that is fine as people have different tastes and I would rather MS exist to make those games for that audience. Why should each company all make the same type of games?

Variety is the spice of life which is why SEGA suits me best as 90% of their output are games I prefer. :)

Low effort posts should just be ignored, I don't care much about sales as the people who care about those want e-peen points.

If you enjoy the game even if it sells terirbly, then that is fantastic! It found an audience in you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom