• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Politics (in general) these days is a joke. I don't see how many people can take the whole Politics seriously regarding the current climate with the UK/US and EU.

We all have different ideals but they are being cast aside for the Impeaching of Trump/Brexit/China being China.

I will be glad when two of those three stop being a thing and people can talk about real issues.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
The Politics (in general) these days is a joke. I don't see how many people can take the whole Politics seriously regarding the current climate with the UK/US and EU.

We all have different ideals but they are being cast aside for the Impeaching of Trump/Brexit/China being China.

I will be glad when two of those three stop being a thing and people can talk about real issues.

I hear you, but why not create those conversations yourself?

It’s so trite, but ‘Be The Change You Want To See In The World’ has never rang truer, when most of the world has gone mad.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

If you click on that you can read all *12* of his tweets bitching about us.

Ahh, that's too bad. I had half a mind to voice my opinion (at the time) that his permaban might have been a bit of an overreaction, but if he's gonna flip out on Twitter like that... Nevermind. It was pretty clear that he only wanted to win arguments in an extremely aggressive way. Looked more like he just wanted to dunk on people he thought were wrong rather than "TRY and convince Right wingers who supposedly practice "free thought and expression"" like he claimed on Twitter.

Oh well! He got his second chance at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
LA5kMTp.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
This isn’t my thread, and I feel like I’m being a little much here, so putting it back on course.

As a Give-LegacyZero-A-Second-Chance-Supporter, that Twitter thread is ugh.

I don’t regret that we, if I can say that, are the kind of people that give second chances. I also never disagreed with the people against it, understanding that they had really good points.

It’s just a good general lesson for me, I guess, to be careful who to give the second chances to. Somebody has to want to change, before you give them the opportunity.

Papa

Banned
No the difference is that he is a lot more aggressive in political threads than in gaming threads and, as a thread creator, has much more well-rounded threads on the gaming side. In fact, DDDP has a terrible taste in action-adventures and celebrates the likely end of one of my favourite game series (3D Zelda as a puzzle-oriented action-adventure series), I am pretty sure this is not something I want to read. But he does it in well thought-out, well-reasoned way I just happen to completely disagree with. This is not to say he never makes good postings on politics, but his postings on the gaming side are much better on average in my opinion. I do not think my posting you are referring to is rude at all, in fact, I called him one of the best posters on the gaming side. It was not primarily meant as a slight of his conduct in politics, but just a statement that people who may be active in politics and whose postings there you might not regard well, may still be valuable posters in gaming if they ever decide to post there (more regularly).

ur a pussy Yoshi

Papa

Banned
Ahh, that's too bad. I had half a mind to voice my opinion (at the time) that his permaban might have been a bit of an overreaction, but if he's gonna flip out on Twitter like that... Nevermind. It was pretty clear that he only wanted to win arguments in an extremely aggressive way. Looked more like he just wanted to dunk on people he thought were wrong rather than "TRY and convince Right wingers who supposedly practice "free thought and expression"" like he claimed on Twitter.

Oh well! He got his second chance at least.

The giveaway was that he didn’t once apologise for what he said when he knocked over the magazine rack in 2017. He just deflected and complained about getting dunked on. Dude is a narcissist and the jokes at his expense were a shit test that he failed. Just another example of why you never trust a male feminist: every single one of them is a weasel without honour and no qualms with lying to save face.

Lmao. Is it bad? I really, really liked the change. I kinda picked the first one in a hurry, after getting annoyingly rejected for a thousand Gaf names, lol, and because I figured I’d never get noticed by anyone, anyway.

You guys, um, surprised me, hahaha.
I was just being silly. But I do recognize you more with a Samus avatar so I figured you might stick with the off-duty Samus look for a while longer. Of course it's totally up to you.

What's this about being rejected? A username change?

Ornlu

Banned
Might explain your hard-on for me :).

Damn it, didn't you learn anything from grade school?!

The Official Response to that is "Well you are what you eat." :messenger_sunglasses: followed by "Guess that's why you're such a dick?":lollipop_horns:

Then you collect your laughs and move on. It is known.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Damn it, didn't you learn anything from grade school?!

The Official Response to that is "Well you are what you eat." :messenger_sunglasses: followed by "Guess that's why you're such a dick?":lollipop_horns:

Then you collect your laughs and move on. It is known.
Matt requires special treatment, not standard solutions.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I was just being silly. But I do recognize you more with a Samus avatar so I figured you might stick with the off-duty Samus look for a while longer. Of course it's totally up to you.

What's this about being rejected? A username change?

Yeah, hopefully that avatar recognizability kicks in. I also just like a change of pace — it’s weird, I like stability for other’s people’s avatars, but get eye-rollingly bored of my own.

Just signing up. After fifteen years or so, it’s quite a challenge to find something that someone hasn’t taken!

I hear you, but why not create those conversations yourself?

It’s so trite, but ‘Be The Change You Want To See In The World’ has never rang truer, when most of the world has gone mad.

My threads hardly gain traction, plus I don't want to argue with people because my views are different. :LOL:

The World will only get madder sadly. :(

-Arcadia-

Banned
My threads hardly gain traction

Eh. Personally, I'd love to read, learn, and discuss about smaller political issues.

It's never going to be as popular as fanboy bait, or the culture war, but I think that would be a great contribution.
Plus I don't want to argue with people because my views are different. :LOL:
Lol, but if serious, I don't think you'll run into too much trouble with smaller issues. Plus, if someone's being an overbearing jerk for no reason, and it's not fun or productive anymore, you can always bail.

Thabass

Eh. Personally, I'd love to read, learn, and discuss about smaller political issues.

It's never going to be as popular as fanboy bait, or the culture war, but I think that would be a great contribution.

Lol, but if serious, I don't think you'll run into too much trouble with smaller issues. Plus, if someone's being an overbearing jerk for no reason, and it's not fun or productive anymore, you can always bail.

What about console wars? Everyone loves console wars!

I do as well, but participating tends to bring out the worst in people.

Bailing is pretty lame, especially when it just means you admit defeat.

As for fanboys...

giphy.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
Bailing is pretty lame, especially when it just means you admit defeat.

Secret winning tip of the internet? You don’t. You just don’t engage with someone who isn’t worth your time, nor get stuck in an infinite back-and-forth that ruins the thread, and get the chance to spend that time positively instead.

Trust the audience to know the difference between a contributor and a destroyer.

Papa

Banned
My threads hardly gain traction, plus I don't want to argue with people because my views are different. :LOL:

The World will only get madder sadly. :(

Is there anything you could do to improve them? If you leave a loose thread for people to pull on it can act as a conversation starter. Info dumps tend to be too hard for people to engage with (not saying you’re doing this — just speaking generally).

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you leave a loose thread for people to pull on it can act as a conversation starter.

This is such good advice. People want to participate, and it’s easy (at least for me) to forget there’s an audience, when trying to make a great post.

It’s great to try to engage them, ask them for their opinion, or even just leave an aspect (I think Matt was getting at this) of whatever you’re posting about unsaid, for another to tackle.

Secret winning tip of the internet? You don’t. You just don’t engage with someone who isn’t worth your time, nor get stuck in an infinite back-and-forth that ruins the thread, and get the chance to spend that time positively instead.

Trust the audience to know the difference between a contributor and a destroyer.

True, I tend to give up when I know a lost cause to be honest. Got IRL stuff to worry about.

Is this a Dragon Ball Super reference? :LOL:

Is there anything you could do to improve them? If you leave a loose thread for people to pull on it can act as a conversation starter. Info dumps tend to be too hard for people to engage with (not saying you’re doing this — just speaking generally).

I've tried a few threads that talk about different aspects of gaming and opinion threads, but they sadly don't last long as it's hard to get people in engage in them for long.

Opinion ones don't last long at all, so I guess those threads are seen as dumb.

I do like engaging in other threads people make though, and try to keep updated with them when possible.

The one thread I wish was still up is the Collection Thread, as I like looking at people's collections where we all differ in tastes.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've tried a few threads that talk about different aspects of gaming and opinion threads, but they sadly don't last long as it's hard to get people in engage in them for long.

Opinion ones don't last long at all, so I guess those threads are seen as dumb.

It is difficult. I posted a ‘How The Witcher 3 Switch Was Made’ article the other day, thinking it was cool, and people would love to read it. It was apparently quite the struggle to make it happen, with all kinds of interesting details.

I get just one reply saying, ‘They just made it look like a PS3 game, lmao’.

Thank you so much, bitchass. :messenger_unamused:

It’s a learning process, like anything. It did get a few likes, but next time, I’d put more of the article in the post, do a more interesting title, maybe post some of my own thoughts.

Papa

Banned
This is such good advice. People want to participate, and it’s easy (at least for me) to forget there’s an audience, when trying to make a great post.

It’s great to try to engage them, ask them for their opinion, or even just leave an aspect (I think Matt was getting at this) of whatever you’re posting about unsaid, for another to tackle.

Have you heard of the hairy arm tactic? I’ve used it a few times at work. Essentially if you make a big mistake and you’re worried about your boss being overly critical, purposefully include a lesser but more obvious mistake that will draw their attention away from the bigger one.

While not exactly the same, I sometimes do a similar thing with threads/posts on complex topics: leave a simple, easily digestible piece of low hanging fruit that people can grab onto and run with. It’s a good way to get the conversation flowing because it allows the arguments to gradually articulate up to the more complex points (assuming they are related).

It is difficult. I posted a ‘How The Witcher 3 Switch Was Made’ article the other day, thinking it was cool, and people would love to read it. It was apparently quite the struggle to make it happen, with all kinds of interesting details.

I get just one reply saying, ‘They just made it look like a PS3 game, lmao’.

Thank you so much, bitchass. :messenger_unamused:
That guy is always the first to criticize the articles and opinions people post based on their sources and some other shit. He posted something like, "If I had a penny for every time... I would have enough to eat at a fancy restaurant with my girlfriend." :messenger_unamused:

"This thread is a disgrace." :messenger_unamused::messenger_unamused:

"Tch." (He didn't say this one but you get the idea) :messenger_unamused::messenger_unamused::messenger_unamused:

neildegrasse.jpg

Last edited:

brap

Banned
That guy is always the first to criticize the articles and opinions people post based on their sources and some other shit. He posted something like, "If I had a penny for every time... I would have enough to eat at a fancy restaurant with my girlfriend." :messenger_unamused:

"This thread is a disgrace." :messenger_unamused::messenger_unamused:

"Tch." :messenger_unamused::messenger_unamused::messenger_unamused:

neildegrasse.jpg
Lol that guy. I remember him saying I was as bad as the people on resetera that were calling for people from Chucklefish to be fired because I referred to Chucklefish as Chucklefuck and Chucklecuck. At least other people were there to call him out on his shit.

Have you heard of the hairy arm tactic? I’ve used it a few times at work. Essentially if you make a big mistake and you’re worried about your boss being overly critical, purposefully include a lesser but more obvious mistake that will draw their attention away from the bigger one.

While not exactly the same, I sometimes do a similar thing with threads/posts on complex topics: leave a simple, easily digestible piece of low hanging fruit that people can grab onto and run with. It’s a good way to get the conversation flowing because it allows the arguments to gradually articulate up to the more complex points (assuming they are related).

So basically, manipulate the idiots to respond first with the snippet bait with the more intelligent ones commenting after when they see the flies stick to the snippet?

Stroke of Genius, Matt!

-Arcadia-

Banned
Jokes aside, he's so spot-on.

I think some people, and I include myself in this group, can struggle with communicating ideas to others. As people get... um... more and more... simple and base, in the reign of Clownworld, it becomes harder and harder to impart complex topics.

Likewise, the blame can go two ways as well. Intelligent people (and I leave my membership in that group up to you) can be a little touched with the 'tism at times, processing so many high-level thoughts, that they struggle to get it out in a readable, understandable, or entertaining manner.

So, something like this is really helpful to me. It seems like I just hit a brick wall with some people, and getting around it is like communicating cross-language... or cross-species, whether that's a criticism of them or me.

Intelligence is only of so much use, if you can't find a way to share it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom