• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is some shit. Also a lot of N64 games always like they had this weird vibe to them. They had these big 3d worlds but they always felt strangely empty like you were walking through a horror move where everyone straight up disappeared.

I didn’t want to ruin the comedy of MHK’s thread, and you post here, so... lol.

Goldeneye always creeped me out for this exact reason and more. A lot of these games just have that, and really weird visual and audio vibes. There were a few times where enemies popped out behind me, where I... may have audibly reacted.

brap

Banned

Goldeneye always creeped me out for this exact reason and more. A lot of these games just have that, and really weird visual and audio vibes. There were a few times where enemies popped out behind me, where I... may have audibly reacted.
Cronfe. I always liked how creepy old games felt. Like anything could be there at any time. Sometimes enemies don't even make noises until they attack. Good times.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Cronfe. I always liked how creepy old games felt. Like anything could be there at any time. Sometimes enemies don't even make noises until they attack. Good times.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

That is so spot on, though. Maybe we were just getting used to 3D and limited visibility?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I mean, look at this. This is a James Bond game, of all things.

P5lHt4G.png

I feel like this should be a thread.

Speaking of old games, I consider Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 to be the best in the series because it has the best levels but also because it was a cross-gen title (PS1 and PS2) so even back then the graphics looked a little dated but I think it's kind of charming in a weird way. It was cool when games still looked like games and your mind worked to fill in the blanks.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Speaking of old games, I consider Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 to be the best in the series because it has the best levels but also because it was a cross-gen title (PS1 and PS2) so even back then the graphics looked a little dated but I think it's kind of charming in a weird way. It was cool when games still looked like games and your mind worked to fill in the blanks.

I like it the best because it feels so fucking smooth compared to the PS1 versions. Those first 2 games are so slow.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I hope we see Tony Hawk 3 redone as well. It’s just as much of a classic, if not more. It’s 4, where I stop caring. Not sure if that’s a popular view or not. I felt like the levels got way too big for their own good, and the game less simple, while the magic was wearing off after so many games in such a short time.

But, on leaving just enough to your imagination, I love those types of games. Something like NES Mega Man, even as someone who didn’t play them back then, just sparks my imagination with all these super simple effects, and manages to feel like a cartoon.

I guess it’s a bit like abstract or impressionist art? Not sure if I have the right terms. Where the artist gives you a general visual guide of what they’re trying to portray, but leaves it just vague enough for your mind to bring it to life.

brap

Banned
I hope we see Tony Hawk 3 redone as well. It’s just as much of a classic, if not more. It’s 4, where I stop caring. Not sure if that’s a popular view or not. I felt like the levels got way too big for their own good, and the game less simple, while the magic was wearing off after so many games in such a short time.

But, on leaving just enough to your imagination, I love those types of games. Something like NES Mega Man, even as someone who didn’t play them back then, just sparks my imagination with all these super simple effects, and manages to feel like a cartoon.

I guess it’s a bit like abstract or impressionist art? Not sure if I have the right terms. Where the artist gives you a general visual guide of what they’re trying to portray, but leaves it just vague enough for your mind to bring it to life.
4 has too much bullshit in it and that's where you start talking to people for missions. I do like getting off the board though.

Don't be afraid of the truth regarding Super Mario 64's ties to Roscrucian esoteric rituals, my uninitiated nintengurl 😊

brap

Banned
The Sewers level should have been in the PS2 version. Or even in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, it would have felt right at home with the rest.

College was easily the best level in 4 though.

wtf i never played that one before and im pretty sure i beat 4 on ps1

-Arcadia-

Banned
4 has too much bullshit in it and that's where you start talking to people for missions. I do like getting off the board though.

Then you have Underground, where Tony Hawk is driving a car around the neighborhood, lol. I really don’t know if that game is good or not, but at that point, it seemed like they had gotten so far away from why I played, that I didn’t bother.

Don't be afraid of the truth regarding Super Mario 64's ties to Roscrucian esoteric rituals, my uninitiated nintengurl 😊

I knew all along. All the Nintendies do. You really think we talk about children’s games all day in that thread? 🤫 :messenger_smiling_horns: 🔪

brap

Banned
Then you have Underground, where Tony Hawk is driving a car around the neighborhood, lol. I really don’t know if that game is good or not, but at that point, it seemed like they had gotten so far away from why I played, that I didn’t bother.
It's alright. Soundtrack is shit. THUG2 is way more fun and retarded.

I’m actually really surprised that apparently the whole series was on PS1. I never had any idea. Were they good?
Lol no. Basically just gimped versions. You could barely see what was in front of you. The games obviously weren't made for those systems.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Underground is second best in the series after 3, in my opinion. I don't remember much about THUG 2 but didn't like American Wasteland which by that point the series had become cartoony and over-the-top.

Top Bottom