• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic should just remove the user ratings at this point and follow OpenCritic as a Critics Only Aggregate.

PaulBizkit

yeah right
Bi9Kamu.png

God of War was review bombed

Metacritic usually wipes out review-bombs, and that's a good thing.

not removing them but better authentication.......the game needs serial number for confirmation of that game bought and user id for verification for that game serial number....its just easy to make account nowadays

Tbh, when you buy a game is should come with a code or serial number.

You type that serial number in to whatever critic website and you can then put up a review.

Of course that will never happen because rival companies wouldn't be able to botfarm, AstroTurf and shill games
"This is a fantastic idea." - The Patriots

Fake

That's true, but there's still a good reason as to why Metacritic is still used as a measuring standard in the gaming industry.

Studios have it on their employee contracts bonuses for games that receive 85+ metacritic scores. No way is Metacritic scores bribed or bought out, so that tell me there's more objectivity to them than one thinks.

Lets be honest. Money will not change that. My two takes about this? Maybe Metacritic offer a payed option for companys to block user review to be score just like I get Google do on youtube for some companys to disable commentary (I guess Digital Foundry did this in their Sea of Thieves video. Even TLOUSpart2 have that stupid leak bullshit, Digital Foundry don't disable the comments with I suspect have something money related).

I not saying I disagree with you, but companys will be companys. If Metacritic is so confidence about that, he will lost money and others companys will ask the same feature on others game reviews.

I just wish this review bombing tactic done by weirdos wouldn't be enabled by having user reviews so openly available for any person to make one.
The (somewhat) open nature of the Internet is ultimately what fuels these situations and requires people to take the good with the bad; otherwise, it gets into the issue of only allowing approved viewpoints. Any decent site will provide tools to filter reviews, which leaves it to readers to decide which opinions are BS and which are--at the very least--providing authentic feedback, regardless of the actual opinion.

I always come back to its better having the tools available to make a decision, instead of only seeing a singular, approved, or popular viewpoint. Yes, this does put the onus on users, but I see this as the more preferable option.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It's difficult to spends tens of millions of dollars to produce a 3/10 game. I'm guessing if a game is that bad, it gets canned before as to not damage the publisher's reputation, like Scalebound.
We know this stuff goes on though, reviwers getting blacklisted, sites getiing blacklisted, and potentially harming earnings, not getting freebies, not getting free games, not getting invited to events, potentially harming their business again. I mean that ex IGN journo pretty much said they are scared to lowball certain games due to the backlash from fans, and publishers.

OutRun88

You type that serial number in to whatever critic website and you can then put up a review.

Of course that will never happen because rival companies wouldn't be able to botfarm, AstroTurf and shill games
This is a good idea.

This is basically how Steam reviews work right? You have to own the game in order to review it and the review shows many hours the user has played the game.

The (somewhat) open nature of the Internet is ultimately what fuels these situations and requires people to take the good with the bad; otherwise, it gets into the issue of only allowing approved viewpoints. Any decent site will provide tools to filter reviews, which leaves it to readers to decide which opinions are BS and which are--at the very least--providing authentic feedback, regardless of the actual opinion.

I always come back to its better having the tools available to make a decision, instead of only seeing a singular, approved, or popular viewpoint. Yes, this does put the onus on users, but I see this as the more preferable option.
Well said!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

That's one of the things I like about Amazon reviews, they indicate if the review is from a verified buyer or just some random person that claims they bought the game somewhere else.

Stuart360

If you had to link your PSN/XLive/Steam accounts to say Metacritic, and prove you own and have played the game, it would stop this, but it wont happen because Meta is getting clicks unlike they have had for probably a long time right now.

That's one of the things I like about Amazon reviews, they indicate if the review is from a verified buyer or just some random person that claims they bought the game somewhere else.
I agree, except a lot of reviewers on Amazon are paid to review products and give them favourable ratings.

On Amazon, I ignore all 1 and 5 star ratings and read the 2 and 3 stars, it gives you a better idea of the product

Stuart360

What's the point when you can predict everything? TLOU 2 good. Black Panther good. Captain Marvel good. Oh boy I'm sure glad I looked at the critics reviews!!!
Dont hate me, i actually liked Black Panther a lot, more than all the other Marvel films. I did like the Thor films as well though.

No thanks.

No matter how much something gets review bombed, I almost always end up agreeing with the average later on down the road. Somehow it always seems to balance out.

The only critic that matters is you. If you bought the game, played the game, enjoyed the game then it’s a good game. Who gives a flying fuck what some rando on the internet says? I mean, if you love a game but IGN gives it a 4 does that suddenly mean you can no longer like said game? Good lord dude. Get a grip.

Jayjayhd34

The only critic that matters is you. If you bought the game, played the game, enjoyed the game then it’s a good game. Who gives a flying fuck what some rando on the internet says? I mean, if you love a game but IGN gives it a 4 does that suddenly mean you can no longer like said game? Good lord dude. Get a grip.

Review bombing devalues peoples opinions though. If you got problem with the game your instantly this and that vice versa it stops having proper debate about the game.

Woggleman

Games journalism is a joke. They have their career on the line when reviewing games. That objectively makes them...not.

Reviewing bombing is the digital equivalent of a riot...and where there's smoke, there's fire.
Imagine thinking a game you don't like getting good reviews is worth rioting over.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Any other day I'd say no
but today I'm gonna go ahead and just say Nope

Review bombing devalues peoples opinions though. If you got problem with the game your instantly this and that vice versa it stops having proper debate about the game.

Review bombing is called for what it is immediately. It’s stupid and I’m not a fan of it but you form your own opinion of a product when you use it. For the most part reviews can be helpful but we all know ND didn’t put out a game that’s a zero. It’s silly to be so upset over this when you know why it’s happening and has really nothing to do with the gameplay itself.

Woggleman

Yes, that's exactly what they're doing. Literally rioting. You fucking genius you.
I know that but people have different opinions and nobody is going to like every game. Being this angry over other people liking a game you don't is not healthy. I actually thought Bloodbourne was a letdown but I am not man at gaming forums for hyping it up. I accept that many people get enjoyment out of it. Why is it so hard to accept that some people get enjoyment out of a game like TLOU2. Why this need to revolt when critical opinions don't line up with yours?

Zog

Banned

What about used buyers or people who rent game or people who borrow games, they aren't worthy of having an opinion?

Last edited:
Issue a 48 hour embargo on user reviews, and then let the animals loose in the cage to fight it out after the critic scores drop. Read both sides and make that determination for yourself. You won't stop the discussions elsewhere so as someone else said it's a matter of tolerance.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There's lots of games that have been review bombed on MC. I think the first ones that got really nailed were fanboys trashing old Halo and Killzone games. So this has been going on for probably 10 years.

Where was Miyaza criticizing user reviews the past decade?

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I know that but people have different opinions and nobody is going to like every game. Being this angry over other people liking a game you don't is not healthy. I actually thought Bloodbourne was a letdown but I am not man at gaming forums for hyping it up. I accept that many people get enjoyment out of it. Why is it so hard to accept that some people get enjoyment out of a game like TLOU2. Why this need to revolt when critical opinions don't line up with yours?

But that's not why they're bombing the game. They're bombing the game because they think the game is shit. They're not doing it to spite you, Consumer #719, they're doing it to show their discontent at what's been done to the franchise. They know the platform allows them to make their unhappiness visible.

LordKasual

Banned
They need to just start weighing score based on scoring history.

The issue with every rating systems is that they can be very easily weaponized.

If the only thing that ever matters is the number you give, not your reasoning or history or motive, then of course people are gonna votebomb games they WANT to fail

Last edited:
I seriously doubt you'd be so concerned if it was Halo Infinite getting review bombed instead of TLOU 2.

I have no doubt Halo will get review bombed too. Do I care? Not at all.

There's not a chance the 'campaign' against Halo will be as bad as it is for TLOU2.

It doesn't really bother me as it'll sell near 20m when all is said and done regardless but I just wanted to correct this false equivalence.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The majority of the most helpful reviews specifically say it's not about the SJW shit, but the bad story.

Is it not a review bomb if the ratings are positive?

I think you missed the guys point.

The previous poster said review bombing happened to any exclusive game including God of War, where the person you quoted showed he was wrong.

Top Bottom