• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic top 5 highest rated games of the decade

Fbh

Guess I was right in guessing this was going to be 100% Nintendo and Rockstar games.

The Rockstar games in particular I don't understand how they always gets such ridiculous high scores. The production values and attention to detail are definitely great but the gameplay and controls in both RDR2 and GTAV are pretty damn mediocre IMO.

Red dead 2 was great and the open world, immersive-ness, and story were unparalleled

But the mission structure was so dated and simplistic. Little room for personal experimentation and feels like it holds your hand too much. Needs a more open sandbox approach

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Your list is below average if it doesn't have Uncharted, you can blame the list owners for not having played Uncharted but every top game list should have at least a Naughty Dog game.

Malakhov

Banned
I p

I platted that game on PS4 last summer. Truly a worthy succesor to DQ VIII. If you are naar 30 hours, you'll still have easily 40-50 Hours. 70-80 if you aim for all side quest etc.
Really? I'm about 4 hours into act 2 and clocking 30 hours, yet I saw people mentioning act 1 is like 65% of the game.

Hopefully, though! I've tried so many games in the last months to get back into gaming and this one did it. A true masterpiece that represents everything that was great into turn based jrps in the 90s.

The hard thing will be to find something like this to play after I'm done with it

Last edited:

nowhat

The Rockstar games in particular I don't understand how they always gets such ridiculous high scores. The production values and attention to detail are definitely great but the gameplay and controls in both RDR2 and GTAV are pretty damn mediocre IMO.
That's the thing. There's a ton of stuff to do in RDR2, no question. If you value your entertainment as $THINGS_TO_DO/$AMOUNT_PAID, it's clearly GOAT.

But the actual gameplay, it's not that great. It's downright annoying at times. And the main plot
really goes off the rails once there's that slave island excursion. It really didn't work for me after that bit, it just seemed so off

Mind you, other games can get too comfortable smelling their own farts with needlessly meticulous animations too. Yes, I'm looking at you Death Stranding and four (4!) cutscenes you have to skip just to get out of the shower.

Oh, and I also think BOTW is completely overrated. If it had been something not Zelda-branded, people would have been much more critical of the game.

Last edited:

Caffeine

I agree with 4/5. RDR2 is good, but there are so many better games I don't even think it would fall into a top 25 of the decade tbh. I would have put mass effect 2 which ironically is 6 on their list.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I felt like Super Mario Galaxy 2 was so easy that it was mundane despite literally being set in space; otherworldly planets

molasar

Banned
Yeah cous Nintendo games have the best gameplay EVER🙄
It is your opinion not mine.
What new exceptional gameplay do Super Mario Galaxy 2, Zelda Breath Of The Wild and Mario Odyssey have which is their main selling feature?
And why Nintendo does not use their best gameplay ever and create some games for adult players with it?

Last edited:

thequestion

Astro Bot Robot Rescue PSVR, is the best “Mario game”, this generation. If Odyssey deserves to be in the top five (which it doesn’t) then Astro Bot definitely deserves to be there too.

Edit: if Konami had released MGV storyline free dlc (or even paid dlc), MGV would be in the top 5 - super fun to play/addictive gameplay loop/freedom of how to play/just plain awesome - but paper thin storyline for a MGS Kojima game. If only Konami respected the property more - would easily be one of the greatest games ever IMO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Quit BOTW after 22 hours and no interest in 3D Mario. GTA 5 was a 9.0/10 for me but nowhere near my top 20 for the decade and have only played past Chapter 1 of RDR 2.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Or they just make fun games?

Ive said it over and over, everyone wants to tell the story or have the great cinematics and the great graphics, they forget to include the fun.

If it was the music industry it would be comparable to having a great message, but forgetting you need a catchy chorus or hook to get people to come back and listen to it more.
I agree wholeheartedly.

The other big developers make it easy for Nintendo.

I've had a PS4 for about three years and I had been craving Nintendo games for a while. Games like Uncharted and TLOU are well crafted, have great graphics, but the most important thing which is the gameplay, just isn't there for me.

I just got a Switch. And I've been playing Mario Odyssey for the last week or so, and my God, what a breath of fresh air. The gameplay is absolutely perfect. Every inch of the gameplay is incredibly polished, and it ain't only about graphics or cinematics.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Despite the fact that, as a Nintendo fan, this list caters to me a bit, this should just be an interesting statistic, and that’s it.

It’s pretty blatantly clear that there’s a lot wrong with modern gaming journalism and reviews.

I think they just took the top 5 meta scores from 2010-2019
Top 50. Click the link.
Wow. Not a single PlayStation exclusive. Thats very surprising.
Your list is below average if it doesn't have Uncharted, you can blame the list owners for not having played Uncharted but every top game list should have at least a Naughty Dog game.
The Last of Us and The Last of Us Remastered - the same game, really - are in the top 10 (95%). The top 5 games on the list all have an accumulative average of 97%. In fact, 12 out of 50 games in the full list are PlayStation exclusives (two of them are Uncharted games).

They didn't make the top 5 but it's not much of a difference going by the metacritic scores.

Last edited:
I would agree with SMG2 and perhaps Odyssey, but BotW is very conflicting with the general masses and GTA5/RDR2 were good on release.

I don't even play this game, but I always hear how Overwatch is a top notch game, along with the updates it gets regularly that I am surprised that didn't get on there.

It is pretty sad to see 3 of those games are very late decade and is not more spread out (hell, I was shocked at how Minecraft isn't on there).

My personal list would be stuff like Trails, DanganRonpa 3, Yakuza 0 and the like but they would never be renowned by MetaCritic so this is an expected list.

Aion002

Meh no Sekiro, no Dark Souls, no Bloodborne, no Civ V BNW....

I really don't need game reviews in my life.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Game critics biased towards Nintendo(and a little bit Rockstar) titles. I played Galaxy 2 and turned it off after 2 hours. My nephews also didn't like it very much. Replace Mario name and character with Yooka Blabla, you got a 7-8 scored game in Metacritic, they will definitely find some cons.
When i look at Nintendo reviews, i usually cut 10 points from Zeldas, and 15 points from Marios.
First Rdr, Gta san andreas, Zelda Ocarina of time were deserved 10 though.

Game critics biased towards Nintendo(and a little bit Rockstar) titles. I played Galaxy 2 and turned it off after 2 hours. My nephews also didn't like it very much. Replace Mario name and character with Yooka Blabla, you got a 7-8 scored game in Metacritic, they will definitely find some cons.
When i look at Nintendo reviews, i usually cut 10 points from Zeldas, and 15 points from Marios.
First Rdr, Gta san andreas, Zelda Ocarina of time were deserved 10 though.

Sonic attempted the same thing with Sonic Lost World, and it got 6-7 score review. Galaxy 2 was nothing special, I beat it with all the stars, and have no desire to pick it up ever again, unlike the originals which I always come back to every now and then. Same with the Zelda games.

Arachnid

Every time I see even a passing mention of Bloodborne on the internet, I want to reinstall it and give it another runthrough. I can't believe it's already almost been five years since release man. That game was the reason I bought a PS4, and I hadn't even played Dark Souls at that point (outside of an hour or two of the first back on 360). Definitely my game of the decade.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Horizon Zero Dawn getting 9s. That game was a pretty but typical open world fest. Lame quests, boring story, and awful characters.

Perhaps because Horizon Zero Dawn is fucking awesome. It plays great, looks amazing, has an really cool atmosphere and a surprisingly cool futuristic sci-fi apocalypse story.

I don't agree with the list!

Is there a similar list with user scores?

I won't argue against the Nintendo games, they are not my favorite games, but I get why people like them. However, rdr and gta... They just don't play that well... but people buy them over and over again, so who am I to tell them what to like 😐

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
It's kinda cool that Mario is still so relevant, but Galaxy 2 over BotW... that's a nope from me. Mario Odyssey making the list at all... nope. RDR2? Nope.

Arachnid

Perhaps because Horizon Zero Dawn is fucking awesome. It plays great, looks amazing, has an really cool atmosphere and a surprisingly cool futuristic sci-fi apocalypse story.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I went in super hyped about a month ago (partially because of a friend who hyped it up to me and partially because I'm a fan of the voice actor for Aloy who made a freaking hilarious web series I grew up watching), but I feel like I'm forcing myself through while waiting for things to click. So far, the characters all seem to be written dumb to make Aloy come off as smart/witty (this has always been a huge pet peeve of mine in video games; it feels like the devs being almost patronizing) and the only somewhat interesting aspect to the story is Aloys past (I'm not sure if this has proper pay off, but the answer to where she came from seems obvious so far). Humanity getting wiped out by their own technology is nothing new, nor is the post-apocalyptic setting taken back by nature (the twist here being nature isn't really natural). Aloy herself isn't very likable yet either. I usually like the underdog angle, but when she's written to be overly confident, smarter, more talented, faster, and stronger than everyone else in the world, she doesn't really feel like an underdog. She comes off as a mary sue with no real depth.

The gameplay also seems pretty cut and paste from other games like Tomb Raider, Last of Us, Far Cry, or Uncharted. It's another open world climbing fest with floaty movement, emphasis on bow combat, enemy outposts, and towers you climb to reveal the map. The only interesting/somewhat unique aspect here for me the different machines having unique weak points you assess before fighting, but the game doesn't have enough monster variety/types (I think I've encountered like 10-12 different kinds of machines so far, and most of them are tackled in a similar fashion) to keep that aspect interesting.

Everything just feels too simple and by the numbers. It's the same thing that burned me out on Tomb Raider. I'm pretty interested in your perspective on what warrants the good reviews though. Maybe I'm just focusing on the wrong parts of the game. I had a similar problem with Dark Souls back in the day.

Last edited:
Only game i wouldn't place up there is Mario Odyssey, specially if u have SuperMario galaxy 2 next to it.

I'm not a GTA V fan either but i can see why it is one of the best games ever made.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'd put The Witcher 3 there. That wouldn't be my top 5, but all highly regarded games. I absolutely loved SMO. Maybe was my favorite SM game ever.

I should play The Witcher III. Everyone is always praising it here. I played the original Witcher though never completed it.

Personally, I think Sleeping Dogs was more fun to play than GTA V.

Last edited:

Bodatan

Banned
RDR2 and BOTW are the peak of open world game

Even in YouTube comment section most people are very positive and agreed with both games are top notch in open world aspect especially how both games have great physics systems.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
xp2ArwN

This thread is proof positive that not all opinions are good or valid. Goodness fucking gracious some of these hot takes.

Top Bottom