• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexen

I missed Portable Ops and AC!D but I have a chance to play them. Concerning Ops, will I need to play it before I delve into GZ and TPP?

Batzi

Banned
I missed Portable Ops and AC!D but I have a chance to play them. Concerning Ops, will I need to play it before I delve into GZ and TPP?

MPO is good, not PW good. PW puts a lot of AAA games from last gen to shame. You should play PW before playing GZ that's a requirement.

MPO is good, not PW good. PW puts a lot of AAA games from last gen to shame. You should play PW before playing GZ that's a requirement.

It's more of the fact that PO's not really referenced at all in the overall chronology of Big Boss's story. Not yet, at least.

And frankly, I don't think it ever will. The prologue of Peace Walker itself effectively retcons and decanonises Portable Ops by stating that Big Boss vanished after MGS3's award ceremony.

In fact, Kojima kinda made a swipe at it in PW by having Miller say "Finally, we can leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind."

tioslash

Ok, so I´ve bought GZ on PC last week, and been having a blast. Absolutely love the gameplay and mechanics, and now just anxiously waiting for Phantom Pain to be released.

Thing is, I only play on PC, and I´m really new to the Metal Gear franchise. I´m sure with PP now coming to Steam a lot of players with no previous knowledge of the game will dive in and probably feel a bit lost. (I mean, at least the ones like me who loves storytelling). I don´t know if Phantom Pain will have something like GZ did (the little 11 page backstory). I think it would be a good thing for introducing new players to the world of Metal Gear,and in case it does, not just 11 pages long, but as a much more complete feature, like a small book really.

From things that I´ve read here and there (not spoilers, just about it in general) it has a pretty complex plot. Is there any digital book, or some kind of compreenhensive story guide that I can read somewhere so I can get up to speed? I know that it probably has something on the Wikipedia of the previous games, but aside from that I ask.

Thanks a lot!

Dawg

I dreamt i played mgs 4 on very easy :(

You're still in a dream, Snake Eater.

Ok, so I´ve bought GZ on PC last week, and been having a blast. Absolutely love the gameplay and mechanics, and now just anxiously waiting for Phantom Pain to be released.

Thing is, I only play on PC, and I´m really new to the Metal Gear franchise. I´m sure with PP now coming to Steam a lot of players with no previous knowledge of the game will dive in and probably feel a bit lost. (I mean, at least the ones like me who loves storytelling). I don´t know if Phantom Pain will have something like GZ did (the little 11 page backstory). I think it would be a good thing for introducing new players to the world of Metal Gear,and in case it does, not just 11 pages long, but as a much more complete feature, like a small book really.

From things that I´ve read here and there (not spoilers, just about it in general) it has a pretty complex plot. Is there any digital book, or some kind of compreenhensive story guide that I can read somewhere so I can get up to speed? I know that it probably has something on the Wikipedia of the previous games, but aside from that I ask.

Thanks a lot!

Watching a good Let's Play is an option, but everyone will give you the same advice: you have to play these games. Wikipedia does the story no justice. This is something you have to experience in-game.

Thanks a lot!

First rule of MGS : "don't read Wikipedia, or any written story guide to catch up on previous games."

Dawg said what should be said already (tldr; play it), but there's a few options, if you really wanted to :

First off. MGS3 and MGS : Peace Walker. These two games are the critical ones in leading up to TPP.

1. Watch a good Let's Play. It lets you see the full-game from beginning-to-end, the full gameplay, the story, etc.
2. Go to Youtube, google "MGS3 movie" and "Peace Walker movie." There's edited cutscenes + scenes put together for a long 'movie' of MGS.
3. There's... less than proper means of playing MGS3 and MGS Peace Walker on your PC... *coughcoughcough*

So, what is the community's fondest memory of playing an MGS game?

For me it has to be when I was in high school and sleeping over at a cousins house. We just ate KFC and it's 2:00am. We spent the next 2 hours searching all over Big Shell for the final Fatman bomb and after all this fucking time it turned out to be
under him.
Then we both looked at each other like this..

bruce-weber-dumbfounded.gif

Pinewood

3. There's... less than proper means of playing MGS3 and MGS Peace Walker on your PC... *coughcoughcough*
Don't know about Peace Walker, but last I tried (with 2008 hardware) MGS 3 runs really crappy on an emulator. It has all these effects that, at the time required software rendering to be seen, and was near unplayable with those enabled. Don't know about modern high-end hardware though...

MGS 2 and 1 are available on PC, if you can find them and PS1 emulation is easy enough for MGS1, although those aren't necessary for TPP...

Alfrays

Neo Member

Actually, it has to be played before PW, so yes, play it at least before GZ and TPP. PO shows you the transition from the mgs3-snake to the PW-snake, that are very different, if you don't play PO between them than you can feel like if you have missed a step. PO has not been decanonised, Kojima stated that the main story is canon while the little details that do not match with what he says in later games are not. The funny thing is that there are little details retconed even in his games, so PO it's not a special case.

For me it has to be when I was in high school and sleeping over at a cousins house. We just ate KFC and it's 2:00am. We spent the next 2 hours searching all over the big shell for the final Fat man bomb and after all this fucking time it turned out to be
under him.

http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bruce-weber-dumbfounded.gif
it's sorta of a tie for me. Although MGS4 is the least liked game in the series for me, the fight with Ocelot was pretty emotional for me and my brother.
The other moment was the fight with the end. what they did there was fascinating for me, trying to find him with the directional mic.

For me it has to be when I was in high school and sleeping over at a cousins house. We just ate KFC and it's 2:00am. We spent the next 2 hours searching all over the big shell for the final Fat man bomb and after all this fucking time it turned out to be
under him.

bruce-weber-dumbfounded.gif

My first MGS game was 3, and I pretty young so I was fucking horrible at it. Like two years later I restarted the game from the beginning (I made it like 1/3 in the first time) and it all clicked for me. I ended up beating the whole game in like two sittings. That story, the gameplay, the music...it was some heavy shit. And then that's how I became an mgs fan.

it's sorta of a tie for me. Although MGS4 is the least liked game in the series for me, the fight with Ocelot was pretty emotional for me and my brother.
The other moment was the fight with the end. what they did there was fascinating for me, trying to find him with the directional mic.

Yeah, same here. It was cathartic for me and a bittersweet end of a long journey that started way back in 1999 when I first played MGS1. MGS4 is my favorite but for very different reasons than what other people state. It's kind of surreal seeing Solid Snake being old, it's kind of like he grew old with you in time even though we all know the reason is because of the accelerated aging.

That time when Master Miller turned out to be Liquid in disguise and I actually fucked everything up. My 14 year old mind was blown.

Yeah that was a mindfuck for sure. My other favorite part of the codecs in MGS1 is this part.

giphy.gif

I just love how all of a sudden his face is about to burst out from the codec screen.

My first MGS4 Big Boss Emblem run. A couple of friends and I did it together, and one of them said "Watch you go a minute over the time limit." My play time was 5:00:27. (Not even thirty seconds!) DEVASTATION.

Damn, that's rough. Last year I did the BBE playthrough again after the trophies patched, thankfully it seems I still got it. Finished it in 2:59:48. The one thing I hate about the trophies even though I don't care for them(which is weird that I am talking about them but hey any reason to make me play MGS is a good reason) is the do 6 or so playthroughs to get all the emblems. Still didn't do it and I don't know if I ever will, maybe in the future lol.

For me it would be the first time I ever played MGS on ps1. It was a demo disc from Pizza Hut and it was the most amazing thing I ever played and from then on I was in love with the series.

Dem demo disks were always great. The adrenaline I used to feel when I got a magazine as a kid with a demo disk packed it, so damn good.

My first MGS game was 3, and I pretty young so I was fucking horrible at it. Like two years later I restarted the game from the beginning (I made it like 1/3 in the first time) and it all clicked for me. I ended up beating the whole game in like two sittings. That story, the gameplay, the music...it was some heavy shit. And then that's how I became an mgs fan.

I loved MGS3 just from seeing my cousin play it. At the time I didn't have the money so I was saving up and just watched my cousin plow through it when I was at his place. as soon as I had enough, I went in and bought the game. Incredible game to watch someone play through it but even more incredible to play it yourself. I ended up recording my own playthroughs for my other cousin who had trouble with the game (most of my family members are gamers lol) back in the day when you had to hook up your PS2 to the VCR so you could record. Now you can just stream that shit, record it and be done with it.

Thanks a lot!

http://kotaku.com/a-concise-guide-to-metal-gears-overblown-story-1541752116/all

Although if you can just play them all. If you got a ps3 you're good to go! Or emulation ;P

JayEH

For me it has to be when I was in high school and sleeping over at a cousins house. We just ate KFC and it's 2:00am. We spent the next 2 hours searching all over Big Shell for the final Fatman bomb and after all this fucking time it turned out to be
under him.

I got a PS3 in Jamuary 2009 and was looking for games to play. I saw MGS4 was getting a bunch of good review scores and picked it up. I knew the series had a reputation of an epic story and long cutscenes. So I tried watching a video summary series on Gametrailers and went into 4. I had almost no idea what was going on the whole time lol but still had a great time. The day after I beat it I bought MGS1-3 for PS2 and beat those over the coming weeks. (well I didn't finish 1 until last summer :p) I think 4 is the worst game in the series from a story and gameplay stand point but I still hold it dear to me.

under him.
lol, nice. Mine is convincing myself I had killed a guard with the cigarette and desperately trying to recreate it for my brother to no avail. I was a stupid 7 year old. Both of us spending the entire day after Christmas trying and failing to get out of the first area in MGS1 is also a memory I hold near and dear.

lol, nice. Mine is convincing myself I had killed a guard with the cigarette and desperately trying to recreate it for my brother to no avail. I was a stupid 7 year old. Both of us spending the entire day after Christmas trying and failing to get out of the first area in MGS1 is also a memory I hold near and dear.

Lmao. You reminded me that I thought we could smoke in MGS1 just because it looked cool. I love how in every game the cigs/cigars are Incorporated into the gameplay even though nobody may use them. Still looks cool in game.

You can blame the voice directors there, Hayter's natural speaking voice is Snake from MGS1. I guess Konami just didn't really care

this argument is nonsense. hayter has never sounded like mgs1 snake since mgs1. obviously his own interpretation and performance of the voice has at the very least, changed since 1998. when he does the snake voice in interviews or press he sounds like post-mgs1 snake.

Pinewood

I kinda wish for TPP to have a Solid Snake section just to have Big Boss have the "One must die, and one must live" conversation.

Also I could cross Metal Gear 1 from the list of unplayed Metal Gear games in that case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom