• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajang

dY6yHJS.png

f43jt2jramnuxbn8ihlo.jpg

Mifec

Thanks brother!
You won't have to worry about timezones when TPP comes out. I bet no one will sleep for days.

How long do you guys plan your first session with the game to be?

That's very very interesting. Gotta love that consistency in characters. Also makes me wonder if Kojima had planned something about the Patriots and it's members from MGS1 itself.

24h with a 2h gym break, then 8 hours of sleep and back to it.

Playlist updated. I've also deleted duplicates form the spreadsheet.

Hey guys, where can I find good story summary of MGS1,2,3,PO,4,PW and GZ simmiliar to summary of MG1&2 found in MGS Extras?

Exquisite. I'm having a good time grabbing music and building my Spotify list [THIS IS MORPHO] for my PS4 run.

Has anyone collected all the bulletpoint dates of interest in the Metal Gear Series and laid them all out? I seem to recall completing Snake Eater, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes and trying to catch any interconnections or inconsistencies. That custom cover for Phantom Pain being touted looks great, only thing it needs is the inside art listing the relevant events that led into Phantom Pain.

Two and a half weeks. I still remember watching the first trailer and walking home from work at 5am listening to Garbage. Put the hype on the backburner for these years, now it's full force because it's the end. I still have my original copy of Metal Gear Solid and remember kids talking about beating the torture chamber with their button mashing abilities. I was introduced to Zone off the Enders on top of the amazing Tanker demo for MGS2 and distinctly remember taking a break after the Big Shell chapter started wondering if it was going to change back to Snake. Snake Eater was one of the first games I bought with my first job and still have my copy here with the custom cover from Electronic Gaming Monthly. I have a lot of memories of this series, good or bad. I didn't have a PS3 last gen so missed out on the fun with MGS4 and when I caught up with it, found it very uneven, but I so want Kojima and his staff to land it with The Phantom Pain, especially given the severe and toxic corporate climate that's swallowed them up and will be spitting them out at the end of the year.

And I don't trust anything regarding this, especially Hayter's absence. Look at how adamantly Ron Perlman said he wasn't participating in Fallout 4 until the reveal. I think the head transplant and those 3 hour videos were and are patently insane, but there's something fishy about that.

Gun Animal

That's not really what they mean. They're talking about whether events were set up beforehand sufficiently enough to be consistent with other events later in the story.
Yeah, but it's obvious to anyone who actually paid attention while playing that the Patriot twist WAS forshadowed. It was forshadowed in MGS3 that Ocelot had brought the Legacy to the US, and in PO that Zero would use the legacy to establish the Patriots. And as you just illustrated, SIGINT evem forshadowed that Zero was one of the Patriots. Not to mention the password zero gave: "Who are the Patriots?"

I keep thinking to myself that these people are probably skipping cutscenes/not paying attention and then complaining about the story that they were half skipping in the first place.

edit: I first played MGS2 and MGS3 weeks before the release of MGS4 as part of the Essentials Collection (I didn't play MGS1 until over a year later because of the dated graphics) and the impression I was given was that Zero was part of the Patriots, mainly because of the password he gave that was meant for Ocelot's ears (a known Patriot agent in MGS2) and it follows that his team would get involved in that too, so the only Patriot member that was actually shocking to me in MGS4 was Eva. Eva's involvement with the Patriots wasn't really implied at all, except for her involvement with the Chinese Philosophers, I'll admit that.

grimmiq

Do you need to actually complete the missions to get credit for the tapes? I missed 2 of Chico's so just ran through 2 missions and got them then quit out. I have them in my Cassettes section, but no trophy popped.

Do we know how long the hospital takes to complete?

I expect an hour at least with some really vague and trippy halucinosposition.

I keep thinking to myself that these people are probably skipping cutscenes/not paying attention and then complaining about the story that they were half skipping in the first place.

As I see it, there are three types of people who love MGS's style of story telling. Some only pay attention to the core story of the game, some pay attention to both the core story and the super events which spread through previous games, and some don't pay attention to the story but love the moment to moment events.

And the rest complain about how long the cutscenes are. Although it's understandable that not everyone would get the implications but no one can deny that things weren't foreshadowed.

heres my ranking of MGS: GZ players in terms of skill.

1. me, obviously
2. jimmy
3. ryan
4: screaming meat
5.dawg
6. infinity patriot
6 1/2.prince
6. jimmybot
7. shy
8. rajang
9. LD
10. brau

last: sn4ke

Jimmybot is dangerous

In terms of play session It will easily be a 10+ hour session of tpp on day 1

Rajang

Do you need to actually complete the missions to get credit for the tapes? I missed 2 of Chico's so just ran through 2 missions and got them then quit out. I have them in my Cassettes section, but no trophy popped.

You need to complete the mission.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Most of the foreshadowing is in CODEC calls, most of which are situational. The Patriots password is the only significant case I can think of that's in a cutscene and that could easily pass as a meta-reference as opposed to narrative foreshadowing. In fact, that could be said for most of them. A lot of people don't bother with CODEC.

To be fair, I've been with MGS since the first one came out and when I played 4 for the first time, I was a bit "really?". It's only having gone back since playing 4 and replaying 3 that most of them became significant. That Sigint quote earlier didn't really click till my playthrough this week and having heard Zero's speech in the E3 TPP trailer.

Error1355

These comics are all fantastic. I wish they kept making them.

Wasn't it for how he was behaving in this thread. ?

I was under the impression it was this thread.

Edit: holy hell that quoted thread went bad lmao

Jeez, he was so aggressive towards everyone. >_>

How long do you guys plan your first session with the game to be?

From the game unlocking on PC Tuesday at 12 (or 3am eastern?) until Thursday at like midnight. Gonna play the entire three day weekend that I have. (My normal days off are Tues/Wed and I took Thursday as a vacation day.)

<_<

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Playlist updated. I've also deleted duplicates form the spreadsheet.

Hey guys, where can I find good story summary of MGS1,2,3,PO,4,PW and GZ simmiliar to summary of MG1&2 found in MGS Extras?

You should check out In the Darkness of Shadow Moses. It's in MGS2's main menu and covers Nastasha Romanenko's viewpoint during MGS1. It's a long read, maybe an hour, or more, but it's way shorter and more brief than spending 4 hours watching the cutscenes.

It's kind of long. I could write them by myself but I'm afraid that I might forget something important.
I'm making an MGS OT on other forum, so I want to make it good and rather short and I'm a bad writer :)

Venom Fox

Banned
It's kind of long. I could write them by myself but I'm afraid that I might forget something important.
I'm making an MGS OT on other forum, so I want to make it good and rather short and I'm a bad writer :)
Don't worry, just try your hardest, not everything has to be absolutely perfect. Besides, couldn't you write down info/notes, then just write what you have researched?

brau

Greeting Metal Gear Gaf, been lurking here for a while even before I made the account. Can't wait to be ashamed of my words and deeds in 16 days from now.
*Sees at all the ban talk*

Welp, looks like I came at the wrong time.

hi, welcome to the crazy. if you are a real MGS Fan, you might be banned. and.. what is your fav
persona
game?

heres my ranking of MGS: GZ players in terms of skill.

1. me, obviously
2. jimmy
3. ryan
4: screaming meat
5.dawg
6. infinity patriot
6 1/2.prince
6. jimmybot
7. shy
8. rajang
9. LD
10. brau
: sn4ke

wow. i made the list. SEMPAI!

i am pretty sure i am a good player tho. i will have to work harder to prove myself to you. DOOOOOOOOOOORIA!!!!

The1Ski

The more gameplay I watch the more I notice how absolutely everything costs GMP. Change camouflage for your environment? GMP. Change your loadout? GMP. Fulton a fucking goat? GMP. I've gotta say that I'm pretty concerned about the availability of GMP through normal play. If GMP can be purchased with real-world money, there's an incentive for Konami to make the acquisition of GMP low enough that it's annoying and an inconvenience, without being a wall. There's always a fine line between interesting resource acquisition/management and pain-in-the-ass resource rarity that almost requires real money purchase.

MOBAs work in a similar fashion, as we know. Sure, you can grind matches to save up enough gold to buy a character. Or you can just pay cash. The potential to make GMP a pain in the ass is definitely there. What doesn't help my concerns is the fact that Konami is embracing their pachinko side of things (essentially slot machines) shunning their games.

Like everyone else I want the game to be incredible and the gameplay looks like it will live up to the hype. The problem is, all the gameplay we've been shown has the player starting with enough GMP to do whatever they want/need to do. To me this feels like when a gameplay demonstration is done and random loot drops are manipulated to make it seem like rare drops occur more often.

mf.luder

The more gameplay I watch the more I notice how absolutely everything costs GMP. Change camouflage for your environment? GMP. Change your loadout? GMP. Fulton a fucking goat? GMP. I've gotta say that I'm pretty concerned about the availability of GMP through normal play. If GMP can be purchased with real-world money, there's an incentive for Konami to make the acquisition of GMP low enough that it's annoying and an inconvenience, without being a wall. There's always a fine line between interesting resource acquisition/management and pain-in-the-ass resource rarity that almost requires real money purchase.

MOBAs work in a similar fashion, as we know. Sure, you can grind matches to save up enough gold to buy a character. Or you can just pay cash. The potential to make GMP a pain in the ass is definitely there. What doesn't help my concerns is the fact that Konami is embracing their pachinko side of things (essentially slot machines) shunning their games.

Like everyone else I want the game to be incredible and the gameplay looks like it will live up to the hype. The problem is, all the gameplay we've been shown has the player starting with enough GMP to do whatever they want/need to do. To me this feels like when a gameplay demonstration is done and random loot drops are manipulated to make it seem like rare drops occur more often.

If you complete a mission you get like 10,000 GMP (there was a screen that showed this). Remember, they said that these are demoes and a lot of the stuff we've seen is from further on in the game and we won't be able to do when we play A Hero's Way.

Do you guys hope we're done with the:

Supporting character says something
Snake repeats the last word as a question

style of dialogue?

People were upset when Kojima said Snake would be like a "silent protagonist" in TPP, but when you take out all the instances of what you're talking about, he's almost a silent protag anyway lol

The1Ski

If you complete a mission you get like 10,000 GMP (there was a screen that showed this). Remember, they said that these are demoes and a lot of the stuff we've seen is from further on in the game and we won't be able to do when we play A Hero's Way.

I hear what you're saying but the question is still whether or not ~10,000 GMP is enough to play comfortably. If it costs 2400 GMP to change your camo mid-mission and 6400 GMP to change your bionic arm, we're looking at nearly a missions worth of GMP just to adapt to a situation.

Granted, all these numbers are subject to change and cannot be taken as set in stone. I'm just saying that it's pretty tough to find the right balance of entertaining resource acquisition/management, and overly grindy time suck.

Anyone have the list of POWs to rescue in Groud Zeroes? I've got all the XOF patches so just need to work on S ranking the missions and grabbing all the POWs. I think I've got everyone from GZ (Chico, Paz, the 4 in Chico's camp and the one in the west camp).

Embearded

Watch the latest gameplay with MB and FOB. There are diamonds around the base that give you 10.000 each!
I don't think that GMP will be a problem but its a factor that limits your margin of error during missions. You can't just order all the time drops or support. These things cost money and we have to think before we act.

VulpX

Why are people taking this as a fact? That picture is not from an official source is it?
We still don't know exactly who will carry over. Keeping on quoting the same random lists creates expectations that are very likely not met when the game releases.

realcZk

On the US store page it says TPP unlocks at midnight PST but if you view the preorder from the store page under preorders it says midnight ET. Anyone know which is right ?

If I go by the countdown in PSN it looks like PST unless they plan to change it . Bummer!

The1Ski

Watch the latest gameplay with MB and FOB. There are diamonds around the base that give you 10.000 each!
I don't think that GMP will be a problem but its a factor that limits your margin of error during missions. You can't just order all the time drops or support. These things cost money and we have to think before we act.

Oh definitely, I'm all for having to make decisions that have repercussions! I think an "easy mode" amount of GMP would be just as bad as having to scrounge for the most basic necessities. I'm guessing that finding the sweet spot will take a few patches and adjustments over time.

Has anyone seen any impressions from that "boot camp" regarding GMP?

Embearded

Oh definitely, I'm all for having to make decisions that have repercussions! I think an "easy mode" amount of GMP would be just as bad as having to scrounge for the most basic necessities. I'm guessing that finding the sweet spot will take a few patches and adjustments over time.

Has anyone seen any impressions from that "boot camp" regarding GMP?

I can't remember reading anything about that. I can only recall some whining about MB taking a lot of the play time and some others saying that it's a game within a game.

About those diamonds which can be found around MB, i think that they put them there in order to motivate us explore the place. I wonder if they can only be found once or if the spawn in random locations.

hi, welcome to the crazy. if you are a real MGS Fan, you might be banned. and.. what is your fav
persona
game?

wow. i made the list. SEMPAI!

i am pretty sure i am a good player tho. i will have to work harder to prove myself to you. DOOOOOOOOOOORIA!!!!

It's in our Genes isn't it? :p

That'll be
Persona 2.

Didn't a small Op in one of the gameplay videos give 60,000 GMP? Maybe if we do a few ops we'll have some decent GMP.

The1Ski

I can't remember reading anything about that. I can only recall some whining about MB taking a lot of the play time and some others saying that it's a game within a game.

About those diamonds which can be found around MB, i think that they put them there in order to motivate us explore the place. I wonder if they can only be found once or if the spawn in random locations.

Yeah that's a good question about finding diamonds. I'm hoping that the diamonds aren't a finite resource. I can see a kind of timed-release being a balanced approach to encouraging exploration of your MB.

I wonder how much this aspect of gameplay will mirror Clash of Clans. "Clash of Gears" could be an interesting way to play around with the MB side of things as long as it's done right.

Venom Fox

Banned
I'll do my best but none of you will not be able to read it ;)

Finally! I'm a Member now :)
Kf1Obzi.gif
I'd be honoured to read whatever you come up with.
Congrats on the membership! I've yet to make a thread as I'd probably get juniored before the first post lmao.

Anyway guys, I'm gonna 100% GZ as I originally had it on my US account (it was cheaper) when it came out but I decided to download it on my normal UK account.
You guys got any tips on extraction techniques or anything I should be considering doing going for 100%?

Embearded

Didn't a small Op in one of the gameplay videos give 60,000 GMP? Maybe if we do a few ops we'll have some decent GMP.

I don't remember tbh mate. How small was the OP? It could be a big mission with multiple objectives. Even if it wasn't though, we've seen some crazy GMP costs so far. One Surveillance camera costs 200.000! But let's not forget that one camera can spot the intruder so the cost should be high.

Yeah that's a good question about finding diamonds. I'm hoping that the diamonds aren't a finite resource. I can see a kind of timed-release being a balanced approach to encouraging exploration of your MB.

I wonder how much this aspect of gameplay will mirror Clash of Clans. "Clash of Gears" could be an interesting way to play around with the MB side of things as long as it's done right.

I would like the diamonds to be spawned around the base in random locations and time.
I've never played CoC so i really don't have a clue of what are you talking about :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom