• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Post-MGS4, Mr Dec 13) [Kamiya NOT Director, New Info]

ezekial45

Banned
That video was surprisingly candid. It's a shame about the original rising game. Would've been interesting to see what it would've been like if it all worked out.

Oh well, this new game looks really rad. PG can do no wrong in my book.

Carbonox

ros4vlwb.gif

Fucking drool.

I want this game in and around my mouth.

Inaba- "I am confident to say we are one of the best studios in the world."

I spotted parries and wall running. I also spotted a lack of lock on, but hopefully that will be in there, or they iron it out so it is not needed.

Riposte

My hype is going higher and higher.......

DAMN, HE BUNNY HOPPED OVER THAT CAR AND THEN RAN ON THE WALL

AND THE BULLETS WERE FOLLOWWWWWWINNNNG HIMMMMMMM

Carbonox

Inaba- "I am confident to say we are one of the best studios in the world."

I spotted parries and wall running. I also spotted a lack of lock on, but hopefully that will be in there, or they iron it out so it is not needed.

The Inaba quote was referring to the action genre which, in my opinion, they are the best studio in the world at developing.

Regarding more technical things like parries and wall-running, I think it's safe to say that P* will bring out the toolbox, with many things familiar in Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, along with Vanquish when not including hack-and-slash.

I wonder if Dodge Offset will return! :O

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No way. He's Zenimax's bitch now. Hiroki Kato could be working on it though.

I didn't know Mikami left. That's disappointing. Hm... I guess it could be Kato but I feel like he doesn't really focus on fast-paced action that Rising has shown to be. Granted I don't know much about what Kato has worked on in the past other than RE.

EDIT: Oh, he worked on Vanquish on Godhand. That could work.

duckroll

If he is directing/involved somehow I'd say we have nothing to worry about.

The only problem is that he's not a regular employee at Platinum. He runs an online web seminar training business. He works on games on a freelance/contract basis, and is on very good terms with the Platinum/Tango guys because they were all from Capcom.

Oh and interesting note about Kato I found out the other day: Why back when Capcom announced their 5 Gamecube exclusives, Kato was the director of Dead Phoenix. :(

Akainu

The wall running is really awkward because the building isn't flat. Maybe he shouldn't have his hand on the wall while doing it.

duckroll

That blade attack doesn't look like it would have reached RINO if he didn't move.

I think it's meant to be some samurai homage bullshit where two parties stand apart, and then run at each other and attack at the same time. Except in this case one is a cyborg superman, and the other is a giant robot.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
“Actually, the first thing I told Inaba when we started to work together on Metal Gear Rising was that I wanted Kamiya to direct the game,” Kojima said. “But then Inaba told me, ‘If you work with Kamiya, you will be delayed. In fact, you will be very delayed!’ So, that option was out. Besides, Kamiya told me that there’s this old Konami Famicom game called The Legend of Getsu Fūma that he loves, and that’s the only Konami property he wants to work on with me. So, we’ll have to see about that.”
Bahaha, this is amazing.

That blade attack doesn't look like it would have reached RINO if he didn't move.
I already coined RINO for another game. Try again!

Akainu

RINO? Really?
Yes, really. Spin-off or not I can't imagine Raiden as some cowboy.

Sort of offtopic. But has it ever been explained what the gears run on? I imagine something like rocket fuel back in peace walker times. But was a new energy source discovered to power these things? Besides nanomachines.

Yes, really. Spin-off or not I can't imagine Raiden as some cowboy.

Sort of offtopic. But has it ever been explained what the gears run on? I imagine something like rocket fuel back in peace walker times. But was a new energy source discovered to power these things? Besides nanomachines.
Oh, I thought you meant Ray in name only. XD I have to wonder if this really is Raiden.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Am I the only one that hates the new art direction? It looks like Vanquish. The original vision was much slicker.

The technology designs definitely aren't as slick or interesting as previous stuff in the MG universe.

Also, the heavy use of bright orange glow effects looks super cheesy, but I get the impression that's their intent lol

elsk

Banned
I was very sad when Mikami left, and then Vanquish sold copies were announced. Zero options for a sequel :(... but then this happened. :') This is the fucking Vanquish 2 I wanted.

SO GOOD

JJD

So the game is running on Platinum own engine. Is it the same engine that ran Vanquish?

Because that game looked great on the PS3, contrary to Bayonetta (which was a port handled by Sega).

That making of video showed some brief scenes of the developers working, and they were always holding 360 controllers.

I don't mind the 360 being the lead platform, I just hope the PS3 won't get a shitty port like Bayo, or even worse...Skyrim...

Am I the only one that hates the new art direction? It looks like Vanquish. The original vision was much slicker.

Totally agree. Vanquish suits Vanquish, obviously, but I believe that the look/feel they initially had suited much better. I guess it is basically turning into Vanquish 2, though, so it'll be cohesive enough; I just prefer its initial iteration.

Squishy

While all the flashy combos, wall running and Vanquish-esque stuff has me worried about the direction the game is going in, I'll be happy as long as the mechanic to cut watermelons and other objects with the precision seen in the very first trailer remains in the final game (being able to choose the angle of the slice, etc.).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree. Vanquish suits Vanquish, obviously, but I believe that the look/feel they initially had suited much better. I guess it is basically turning into Vanquish 2, though, so it'll be cohesive enough; I just prefer its initial iteration.

Well, it's running on a completely different engine. It's a trade-off. I prefer the original look, but if this engine and visual pipeline lets Platinum do what they do best quickly and efficiently, it's a small price to pay, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, it's running on a completely different engine. It's a trade-off. I prefer the original look, but if this engine and visual pipeline lets Platinum do what they do best quickly and efficiently, it's a small price to pay, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm in the same boat. They seriously just need less orange...

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

I never get tired of watching that gif. My eyes widened like crazy when that sequence popped up in the video.

When they previously mentioned that there would be "free-running" gameplay mechanics, I didn't think you'd be able to traverse the environment so dynamically. I'm pleasantly surprised.

looks fucking amazing. i not only respect komanis frankness in this video (capcom, please take some notes) but their desire to present it such a slick way.. absolutely loved the timing direction and shot selection of the interviews themselves, they put many a professional documentary filmmaker to shame.

as for the in game footage, don't ever bet against p*. it is only going to get better.

as for director, i think kamiya has a hand in it, but i think he is also working on something else, that hasn't been greenlit for full development yet. he will be handing over the reigns soon as it is and thats why they are keeping mum.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I'd be totally fine with the game looking like poop if they can get it running at 60fps. Just a pipe dream, though.

edit - I just read a post in the other thread saying they were going for 60fps... oh wow.

JohngPR

I really don't get why people are so hung up about what could have been with the original story. MGS4 and Peace Walker were really bad stories! Did you forget about all the stupid stuff that happened in those? All of the needless retconning and tying things into other things for no good reason? The terrible decisions they made with some of the characters as of late? I really don't know what you guys were expecting from another Raiden solo story from KojiPro, but I think everyone should come to their senses and realize that it would have probably been awful.

It's pretty telling of how bad Raiden's story has been when his best role in the series so far was as a joke character in MGS3.

As an MGS fan, I'd rather just move forward from here and have him be whatever he is. I don't think I need to know how the guy became a robot. Just have him do interesting and cool robot things instead and ignore the loose ends. KojiPro has shown to be really stupid at tying loose ends together. A lot of things in the MGS universe fall apart the more they have to be explained.

The reason that so many people are curious about it is because it's one of the few things that hasn't been explained so it sticks out.

You are right in that KojiPro has done a horrible job at tying loose ends together so far. I'm still curious to see where they would have went with it.

Top Bottom