• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Post-MGS4, Mr Dec 13) [Kamiya NOT Director, New Info]

*sigh* I just want them to move on and do something new with the story in MGS already. Enough with the needless prequels.

Yeah I would really like a reboot or something like MGS1 where it's a new story, but uses story threads form the previous story to create something new.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
*sigh* I just want them to move on and do something new with the story in MGS already. Enough with the needless prequels.

Yeah, the MGS lore is a tangled, convoluted mess and while I do want a new Metal Gear game, I really hope they wipe the slate clean. I don't necessarily need a reboot, but I'd love MGS5 to have a smaller scale, more insular story that doesn't need to constantly reference or retcon the other games.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Thanks! <3

The more they try to expand the mgs2/mgs3 era story arcs and weave them together, the worse everything gets. Exponentially.

I say kill MGS for good and start an entirely new stealth-focused MG series alongside MGR. Or maybe just let Kojima do what he wants. I'ono.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kinda weird and very respectable at the same time to see devs talk so openly about their failures.

I heard Kojima say something like "Silicon Knights" and nearly had a heart attack. Thank god the translated subtitles proved me wrong.

Would've been cool to see on the FOX Engine, but that running on the walls shit looks CRAZY. Everything about this game reeks of awesome.

duckroll

Wow, I'm surprised. The 25min video has quite a number of new and unedited gameplay scenes, and extended gameplay footage from many parts of the trailer. It's interesting how they're so openly talking about the game but still trying to completely tip-toe around who the director is. I wonder why.

jett

D-Member
A lot of new gameplay footage in the 25 minute video. The "freely aim where you cut" mechanic is still in, Raiden runs on walls, there's a parry system in the game, and other stuff. It looks really early but also looks like it has great potential.

jett

D-Member

Nice.

“Actually, the first thing I told Inaba when we started to work together on Metal Gear Rising was that I wanted Kamiya to direct the game,” Kojima said. “But then Inaba told me, ‘If you work with Kamiya, you will be delayed. In fact, you will be very delayed!’ So, that option was out. Besides, Kamiya told me that there’s this old Konami Famicom game called The Legend of Getsu F&#363;ma that he loves, and that’s the only Konami property he wants to work on with me. So, we’ll have to see about that.”

Kamiya's trolling knows no bounds.

That snippet around 19.55 is probably the best new clips ive seen of metal gear rising and has really renewed my excitement along with all the other unedited clips.

It shows that raiden is a nimble little guy and really gives it a ninja gaiden vibe. Also love that the cut freely mechanic is in, especially when he chops up a guy and the car behind him also gets sliced up :)

Khezu

The wall running was cool, wish they showed more of straight up combat though.

I wonder if there will be any juggling or aerial combat of any kind.

Akainu

The wall running was cool, wish they showed more of straight up combat though.

I wonder if there will be any juggling or aerial combat of any kind.
They said they were going to put some rockets on this bitch for some crazy aerial combos. But I misplaced the quote. Does anybody remember where it came from?

Wow, I'm surprised. The 25min video has quite a number of new and unedited gameplay scenes, and extended gameplay footage from many parts of the trailer. It's interesting how they're so openly talking about the game but still trying to completely tip-toe around who the director is. I wonder why.

yea... Kojima is totally in Director seat lol

duckroll

yea... Kojima is totally in Director seat lol

Nope. The director is from Platinum. Kojima clearly mentions this at the end of the video. He says the director from Platinum Games gives directions to the writer in Kojima Productions when he wants to alter story elements.

ros4vlwb.gif

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Good stuff on getting Inaba to explain why Kamiya won't be directing (unless he actually is and is merely trolling the fuck out of us, which would not surprise me one bit).

Doomrider

The animations used in the basic attacks look a bit rough (just a bit, which is to be expected, I suppose), but man, free cutting+sliding+wall running is gonna be really, really fun.

I gotta wonder why they feel the need for all this secrecy around the game's director, though.

jackdoe

Wow. This game has only been in development for a year. Granted, most of the art assets were already done due to KP aborted project. But it is definitely impressive what they have been able to accomplish in a year, though how much more they improve on it will determine how good the final product is.

Also, completely epic fail at KP with the original version of the game. Hearing the project manager completely unable to counter a claim that the project had shit direction tells you how bad it was.

duckroll

Wow. This game has only been in development for a year. Granted, most of the art assets were already done due to KP aborted project. But it is definitely impressive what they have been able to accomplish in a year, though how much more they improve on it will determine how good the final product is.

Also, completely epic fail at KP with the original version of the game. Hearing the project manager completely unable to counter a claim that the project had shit direction tells you how bad it was.

Much less than a year.

I imagine in the original version they tried to keep stealth element in the game just because it carry the metal gear name but it's just a direct contrast for a fast paced action game and they couldn't get it right.

I assume the new rising by platinum don't have stealth at all or at least very minimal.

Ra1den

Holy shit at Kojima's idea for MGS5. That is EXACTLY what I want!

Also holy shit at the new gameplay segments. Seriously who the hell edited that original Spike trailer, they literally put all the worst parts in there and left out all the best parts. I'd have put in the missile dodging scene, the wall running scene, maybe a bit of the cutting, and boom, awesome trailer.

Top Bottom