• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising survey asks fans about potential sequel

nynt9

I genuinely don't understand the people who want more stealth in this game, and I love all the mainline MGS games.

The stealth sections in MGR were probably the worst sections, they completely killed the pace of the game and were just awkward. Cut the unnecessary bloated stealth (which is only there to appease MGS fans anyway) and just make it an awesome hack and slash.

Akainu

One other thing that I would really like for a sequel is Yoji Shinkawa designs. I think the designs in Rising are a solid emulation of his style and some of the characters are great but enemies like the Mastiff are much cooler than stuff like the GRAD.
Who ever came up with that thing should be smacked. And Mastiffs looked cool then they got stupid fast.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Goddamnit. I hit the back button and the submit button one right after the other and the entire survey wigged out on me.

Now it won't let me submit the survey after I spent 30 minutes on it.

Jac_Solar

None of the "What would you expect from the game" answers let you say "Improved gameplay, improved and bigger combo, move repertoire, etc"? They all, or most seem to be about the story..

Bravocado

Upgrade Blade Wolf to Slash Cerberus. Tell the story of Frank Jaeger meeting Mistral , fighting her, marrying her and then fighting her again. Invade a heavily guarded Alcatraz Island, taken over by renegade Vamp clones calling themselves "The Blood Brothers". This is all free Platinum, just do it.

That survey is way too long, I closed the window after what felt like 30 questions...

But please make MGR2 happen, preferably with Raiden post-MGS2 and pre MGS4.

HYDE

Banned
Camera, length, and sub weapons would probably be my three biggest gripes with Rising. Also the stealth either needs to be better implemented in the game or go, it's implementation in Rising was just them acknowledging "hey this is a Metal Gear game!" even though it felt out of place.

your fucking shitting me right, I could stealth kill 90% of every enemy in the game...you have to be.

All I want are more bosses with awesome dual functionality weapons, a wall run ala Ninja Gaiden(since it was cut from the game), and it to feature Gray Fox.

Dave1988

Did my part. Filled it out.

There was a lot (and I mean A LOT) of typos in this survey. Guess Konami is slowly becoming the new Capcpom in this regard :p

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This is good news for PG. It means they won't be out of a job after W101 and Bayo 2 go die in a fire. They did a good job with the original (crappy story aside which I believe was from Konami), so another crazy action title is welcome.

I don't want to live in a world where 101 and Bayo 2 are failures and MGR succeeds.

Carbonox

I don't want to live in a world where 101 and Bayo 2 are failures and MGR succeeds.

I want to live in a world where all 3 succeeds. Luckily one game succeeded at least. Unfortunately the other two won't because of obvious reasons. A real shame.

I would love to play both because they look great (and I loved Bayo1) but not even these games would convince me to buy what would be an otherwise useless console to me, especially with the new Sony/Microsoft consoles coming out.

It's just an extremely unfortunate circumstance for everyone involved. Those that can and want to buy those games on the WiiU, please do. Every little helps.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I genuinely don't understand the people who want more stealth in this game, and I love all the mainline MGS games.

The stealth sections in MGR were probably the worst sections, they completely killed the pace of the game and were just awkward. Cut the unnecessary bloated stealth (which is only there to appease MGS fans anyway) and just make it an awesome hack and slash.
And I don't get the people who say to cut stealth entirely. Sometimes it's fun being a ninja in a ninja game. And it was always optional.

In fact the game weirdly penalizes your overall mission ranking for doing pure stealth runs. Don't know how much I like that actually...

nynt9

And I don't get the people who say to cut stealth entirely. Sometimes it's fun being a ninja in a ninja game. And it was always optional.

In fact the game weirdly penalizes your overall mission ranking for doing pure stealth runs. Don't know how much I like that actually...

I don't mean they should get rid of all stealth, but cut on the bloated stealth sections. I think a little bit of stealth is fine but the sewer level was pretty painful. If they're gonna do stealth, do it right with more interesting environments. Having it be in straight corridors just feels like a tacked on section.

Mr. X

Because stealth wasn't done well doesn't mean it can't be improved.

And it was great way to break the pace (if you chose to sneak).

Roto13

Yes, this this this. If you screw up being stealthy, there's no real penalty, so I'm totally cool with optional stealth sections. It allows you to do things differently now and then.

I also liked all of the stealth in the Blade Wolf DLC.

Himself

The stealth was awesome in MGR! I wasn't expecting it to be as fun as it was and allowed for whole different approaches to areas.

Revven

If stealth is in the next game, it needs to be more "ninja-like" and less "soldier-like" (like how Snake sneaks around is what I'm referring to). More using your Ninja skills to sneak up on someone, less using an item to "cheat" your way to stealth. It's comical the first time to use the box but after that it's not really terribly satisfying.

I should be able to run along a wall/ceiling and jump down on top of someone's head with my sword. Similar to one of the stealth kills from above in the game already but way cooler and more applicable in corridor areas.

zainetor

Banned
Yes, this this this. If you screw up being stealthy, there's no real penalty, so I'm totally cool with optional stealth sections. It allows you to do things differently now and then.

I also liked all of the stealth in the Blade Wolf DLC.

the problem is that the stealth sections are not designed in a good way. Too much shit in the way and a fuckton of strong enemies who gangrape you with the awful camera which doesnt let you see anything.
It's good that you have a choice, but they need to polish it a bit.

Gartooth

your fucking shitting me right, I could stealth kill 90% of every enemy in the game...you have to be.

Its a fucking opinion on a customer survey, and one that I have enough reason to make, besides the matter that I said they should keep it if they can significantly improve it which you seemed to ignore.

I don't care "how many guys you can stealth kill" that's the equivalent of saying bullshit design is fine because your good at it. By design stealth sections ruined the pacing of MGR and felt tacked on as an ode to the series that preceded it. I want MGR2 to be a game better than the first and finally settle in on its own identity instead of having it dictated by the series that came before it.

I just want Raiden to snap out of his "rrrghrr I'm a natural born killer. Look at me glow red and laugh mercilessly as I slice my enemies apart. Oh Codec. Hai Kevin <3" phase. It was so disorienting hearing that growling voice switching to old Raiden just because I opened the codec. Either give him a consistent personality or make the switch so exaggerated it becomes a part of the story.

Oh, and keep Jamie Christopherson for the soundtrack. Damn.

PokéKong;74372539 said:
I forgot to mention the game's odd approach to bosses and level structure, the stages feel of very uneven length and are broken up in unpredictable ways and with bosses at awkward times grouped together in strange patters.

I think this is sort of a general Platinum thing. Bayonetta and Vanquish felt the same way. Only Madworld and Anarchy Reigns had "regular" boss placement like that.

Hypron

Yeah, I really disliked the stealth sections. Thankfully when you play the main story/Sam's DLC you can skip all of them. However, stealth sections are main reason I didn't S rank the Bladewolf DLC (along with his lack of offensive tools). I just don't like them.

This is good news for PG. It means they won't be out of a job after W101 and Bayo 2 go die in a fire. They did a good job with the original (crappy story aside which I believe was from Konami), so another crazy action title is welcome.

the story was from konami. but keep in mind they had to throw almost everything away and start from scratch. the writer/s were very time-constrained, like platinum were with the game.

they did a good job as well.

PokéKong

I admire how in depth this was just by the fact that they asked about each individual enemy type, it actually made me realize how much I'm sick of typical stuff like helicopters and loved bizarre creature robot designs like the raptor and pond skipper.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Considering the original Rising, back when it was being made solely at Kojima Productions, was meant to tell the story of Raiden after MGS2 and before MGS4 (likely how he saved Sunny from The Patriots), I'd very much like Rising 2 to be based on that story.

I wouldn't mind this. Maybe throw in Armstrong PMC (since Desperado was his creation?) references during it to be a tie-in into MGRaiden and we got ourselves the MGR Kojima productions couldn't really do.

Korigama

Considering the original Rising, back when it was being made solely at Kojima Productions, was meant to tell the story of Raiden after MGS2 and before MGS4 (likely how he saved Sunny from The Patriots), I'd very much like Rising 2 to be based on that story.
Maybe as one chapter, but definitely not as the whole game (there's too much emphasis on prequels with Metal Gear as it is).

Hypron

PokéKong;74531783 said:
I admire how in depth this was just by the fact that they asked about each individual enemy type, it actually made me realize how much I'm sick of typical stuff like helicopters and loved bizarre creature robot designs like the raptor and pond skipper.

You actually loved the vodomjerkas? They probably were my least favourite enemies in the whole game. I even liked the helicopters better.

Edit:

Maybe as one chapter, but definitely not as the whole game (there's too much emphasis on prequels with Metal Gear as it is).

Yeah. I don't really like prequels that much. Focus on the future instead of the past! It's way more interesting.

PokéKong

You actually loved the vodomjerkas? They probably were my least favourite enemies in the whole game. I even liked the helicopters better.

Well yeah besides the flamethrower aspect, I guess I have a thing for insect-based robots, and their long bodies made it fun to chop up and leave them defenseless all broken on the ground, and I enjoy all the enemies that let you parry a bull charge from ridiculously far away. I never felt like I was even properly fighting any helicopters, it just becomes an annoying cycle of closing in space between them and doing whatever you can before you fall away.

If I remember right, did they hint at Raiden's mission to save Sunny in some codec call, but glaze over details in some "it's a long story, for another time..." fashion as if it say it's still possibly a tale they intend to tell? I'd mostly love to see MGS2 style Raiden with the regular katana in this game's engine, but it would make for a perfect tutorial mission. I mean they even had Raiden get badly injured and require a new cyborg body at the end of this game's tutorial mission, the template would've worked perfectly, had the events maybe been more central to the story. I guess they could still do it if the next game's story involves Sunny in some way, and themes of Raiden losing and gaining back his humanity and all that.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
My favorite enemy type was definitely the Mastiff. Every time one of those suckers popped up, they kept me on my toes. Relentless, intimidating sons of bitches with a wide variety of attacks. The only aspect that genuinely annoyed me was the range on their grab attack and how it could instantly suck you in during the animation. Pretty cheap imo, especially when surrounded by a group of those fuckers. Otherwise, very well designed foes.

Everyone says they hate those guys, but I couldn't get enough.

Top Bottom