• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising survey asks fans about potential sequel

LAA

Yes, Yes and a million times yes!

Was annoying all the criticism of this game as soon as it was announced, sad too. Made it seem no one ever wants anything different, and it was something EXTRA for them to CHOOSE have. MGS5 wasnt being delayed or whatever as a result, it was something extra and people still screamed to have it cancelled and stuff, just very sad.

Thankfully, it seemed people saw sense when it came out and seemed to do very well. I can say without a doubt MGR is one of my favourite games this year. I still go back and play it now and then just to fight some bosses and replay some dlc. One thing I hope for in the next MGR if they do it, is a Boss replay mode, instead of having to go through the WHOLE level each time to replay it again.

I wanted to fill in the survey just to make them clear I'm interested in a sequel, but jeez that thing is long. I gave up half way through :(

Symthic

Banned
I'd preorder the hell out of the Limited Edition of a Metal Gear Rising sequel.

So long as I have confirmation that the gameplay is longer than 6-9 hours, that is.

While I did get 20 hours of gameplay out of the game including extra playthroughs and such, it's just too short from start to finish, and one level is just a small section of another level in reverse, and the next level is just one boss fight.

Playtime aside, the soundtrack, graphics, and gameplay are unparalleled, and the story/characters were really good as well. The DLC was really good, too.

I've never picked 'I don't like it' that many times in a survey before.

Also, I've asked for more story, less combat, less difficulty, a different character and something more like the real MGS (instead of Platinum Games' style)

JoeFenix

I don't mind DLC episodes as a concept. The prospect of DLC kept me playing this game for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than I would have otherwise at launch.

but Rising's were pretty piss poor. Recycled levels and characters that were too similar to each other

So I also said I disliked the DLC

I certainly didn't think it was "piss poor" and had it been included as unlockable content in the main game I think it would have felt really good.

You expect this kind of recycling for "extra" scenarios that you can unlock. The problem comes when they charge you premium for it but the quality doesn't reflect it. I loved playing as Sam and I think he definitely played differently enough, he didn't have as much depth obviously but it was more than enough for the length of the scenario. He should have had new enemies or new environments though, it was all recycled.

Atleast Wolf had a new boss fight which incorporated some interesting ideas like stealth during the battle. Some of this stuff could be really cool if fleshed out in the sequel. I also liked how on different difficulties the platforming would change in the Wolf scenario.

I thought the content was cool but having to pay so much for it didn't feel right. I bet Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 will be loaded with this kind of extra stuff on the disc. I think it came down to Konami asking Platinum to make these scenarios DLC. I did really appreciate the VR missions DLC being free though, had alot of fun with those. I know alot of people were frustrated by them but I absolutely love these things.

I did my part! I really hope for a prequel which shows Raiden's transformation and rescuing Sunny. Along with some stealth elements from MGS2 and some awesome "cut what you will" gameplay from MGR. :D

Hypron

Also, I've asked for more story,less combat, less difficulty, a different character and something more like the real MGS (instead of Platinum Games' style)

What? The game is already quite simple...

MormaPope

Banned

Also, I've asked for more story, less combat, less difficulty, a different character and something more like the real MGS (instead of Platinum Games' style)

I say this with the utmost respect. I really hope Rising 2 isn't the game you want it to be. If you want MGS, play MGS V or any past MGS. Metal Gear Rising has its audience, and that audience loves what Rising is.

What? The game is already quite simple...

On medium the game is a cake walk, hard difficulty seems like what medium shoud've been.

Subaru

OMFG, i want MORE crazyness, I like that MGR is so INTENSE, some boss battles made me really excited!

For me, the only problem is the "greyness". I understand why the game is so grey, but still... that japanese area was beautiful!

rvy

Banned

This post proves why feedback isn't always a good thing.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

You may be playing the wrong game.

This game isn't for you then.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind if Platinum developed the stealth a bit more, it was so basic and seemed a little tacked on. It would be nice to have the option to be able to run through a level in a proper Tenchu style.

Hypron

On medium the game is a cake walk, hard difficulty seems like what medium shoud've been.

Yeah. Granted, the first time I played on normal was during my 8th playthrough, but still, I was astounded by how lethargic the enemies were compared to the above difficulties and especially how freaking large the perfect parry window is. I'm not even talking about easy mode because that's basically "baby's first action game" mode.

popyea

Cool, this should help put the rest of your feedback into context.

rvy

Banned
All I need are two things to buy a sequel.

The "Cut anything" mechanic and the same guy doing the music.

If they don't expand on combat mechanics, it will be a waste. But I'm positive that if Platinum is at the helm and the game has a normal dev cycle, it will be even better than the first.

Carbonox

My GOTY absolutely needs a sequel. Survey was a bit dull and LOL at "Bollis".

Go play Metal Gear Solid then.

"something more like the real MGS" is a comical statement to make.

PokéKong

"Cut anything" turned into not much more than a novelty after the first couple stages, I wouldn't mind losing it really, the only thing that stayed satisfying in the long run is hitting that sweet spot to finish off enemies. I guess if they found creative new ways to make puzzles out of it, like when you have to find the gate key but it turns out you can just slice down the thin crack to break the lock, that'd be cool, but not a requirement.

I'm tempted to fill out the survey again just to give more feedback. Forgot to mention the camera, the clunky lock-on system, and the lack of a boss rush mode. Doubt anyone is reading these though, and I sure as heck don't want anyone reading this and thinking those are real problems that the game has.

PokéKong

I forgot to mention the game's odd approach to bosses and level structure, the stages feel of very uneven length and are broken up in unpredictable ways and with bosses at awkward times grouped together in strange patters.

R-00 >-[Ray][Sam Mock Fight]
R-01 >---------[Blade Wolf]----------[Mistral]
R-02 >------------[*boss?]-|
R-03 >------------[Monsoon]
R-04 >------[Mistral/Monsoon?!][Sundowner]
R-05 >-----| (just part of R-03 in reverse??)
R-06 >[Samual]
R-07 >---[Eselsus/Armstrong]

(*kinda boss fight with UG that turns out to be regular enemy you fight casually in groups almost immediately afterwords)

I guess something can be said for being unpredictable and not sticking to traditions, but honestly I think this game would've benefited from a solid old fashioned MegaMan style structure with stages of equal length leading up to bosses.

Verendus

Banned
This is good news for PG. It means they won't be out of a job after W101 and Bayo 2 go die in a fire. They did a good job with the original (crappy story aside which I believe was from Konami), so another crazy action title is welcome.

JoeFenix

This is good news for PG. It means they won't be out of a job after W101 and Bayo 2 go die in a fire. They did a good job with the original (crappy story aside which I believe was from Konami), so another crazy action title is welcome.

Both those games easily look like the best work Platinum has ever put out and if you care at all about their games you'd be insane to not be frothing at the mouth in anticipation.

I don't think the sales will be THAT bad for both of these. I think word of mouth will give them a shot at decent sales.

Jawmuncher

Did my survey basically went

-Loved PG
-Didnt like short gameplay
-Want more human enemies vs robots
-More layered story

.la1n

Sequel to my most played game this generation? Yes please. I think given a proper development cycle they could easily outmatch what the original achieved.

Verendus

Banned
Oh, you're one of those. Is the idea of buying a Wii U THAT repulsive?

Both those games looks like easily the best work Platinum has ever put out and if you care at all about their games you'd be insane to not be frothing at the mouth in anticipation.

I don't think the sales will be THAT bad for both of these. I think word of mouth will give them a shot at decent sales.
What do you mean I'm one of those people? If you mean the ones that are upset that Bayo 2 is not on the Sony/Microsoft platforms, then that's not me. I didn't even play the first Bayo and I'm not really interested in W101. I mean they are going to go die in the fire that is the Wii U right now. It's selling terribly, and those games weren't going to be big sellers as it is, and this entire situation has probably made it harder for them to be successful.

I will likely buy a Wii U. Just to bury it.

Also, I am insane. For other reasons though.

Betty

Banned
What do you mean I'm one of those people?

image.php

I don't foresee good sales for 101 either, maybe Bayonetta though.

JoeFenix

One other thing that I would really like for a sequel is Yoji Shinkawa designs. I think the designs in Rising are a solid emulation of his style and some of the characters are great but enemies like the Mastiff are much cooler than stuff like the GRAD. Mastiff is definitely a very Shinkawa looking design while some of the other stuff feels more like an imitation.

I think it would go a long way towards grounding the game in the MG universe. He's probably my favorite artist in the business.

JoeFenix

What do you mean I'm one of those people? If you mean the ones that are upset that Bayo 2 is not on the Sony/Microsoft platforms, then that's not me. I didn't even play the first Bayo and I'm not really interested in W101. I mean they are going to go die in the fire that is the Wii U right now. It's selling terribly, and those games weren't going to be big sellers as it is, and this entire situation has probably made it harder for them to be successful.

I will likely buy a Wii U. Just to bury it.

Also, I am insane. For other reasons though.

I edited my post right after putting it up to remove the "one of those" part because I realized you were probably talking about sales more than anything. It's cool!

You're insane for not being interested in 101 and Bayo 2 though, might want to go seek some professional help.

MGS 5 is the game for you. Rising needs to be its own thing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Would anyone mind directly linking the survey? I can't access metalgearsolid.com right now.

The game, and quite frankly the entire genre, is not for you. You'd be better off simply sticking with the mainline MGS series.

Verendus

Banned
I edited my post right after putting it up to remove the "one of those" part because I realized you were probably talking about sales more than anything. It's cool!

You're insane for not being interested in 101 and Bayo 2 though, might want to go seek some professional help.
I have. They turned me away. Apparently people like me who have such crazy ambitions and positions are insane in general.

The only title I'm interested in with Krillin is X because it's from the Baten Kaitos makers.

Bayo is a bit too ridiculous aesthetically for me.

so1337

Took the survey. I ended up saying that I really liked the game but also stated that I didn't much care for the story or main protagonist (even though he's probably here to stay).

One of the questions was "What opinions or reviews have you heard of this game?" or something like that.

I think this quote from Jeff Gerstmann sums it up pretty nicely: "It's fucking weird and everyone's a cyborg."

Done. Praised P* throughout. Didn't mind the length of the game as there's plenty of replay value to be had.

I wish they add wall runs back. That looked pretty dope in the videos they showed before they removed it.

Metal Gear Solid V is exactly what you're looking for, probably.

Metal Gear Rising has more combat and difficulty for a reason. My responses were probably polar opposites of yours. I'll agree on more story, or just a longer campaign though. I'm just glad we've got two great versions of Metal Gear to look forward to in the future.

Mr. RHC

My basic answers were: good game, online multiplayer, less Platinum Games-esque story, the stealth sucks

And this, yes.

Top Bottom