• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoboman said:
I can tell from reading the review he's on about cutscenes, but he plays it up to be much more - right down to the gameplay. Yet he doesn't explain it. Now, the question I have, was what did he expect?

I think that's pretty much his point about Kojima being stubborn and not wanting to change his ways. He was willing to essentially streamline the gameplay toward being more of a Western style. But at the end of the day the way the cutscenes are done just isn't going to change. It's just part of what the series is, whether some like it or not.

Yoboman

Gold Member
BlockBastard said:
That last line irks me so much. I can't believe this is me, seriously. I was one of the people that just scoffed at gamespots 8.7 review and just continued enjoying the game.

MY MIND

IT IS MELTING.
Greg K totally justified his criticisms. In retrospect, you can scoff at the score but he had it all justified on paper, from the backwards camera to the menu, inventory system. And he did not express it as a rant, he still said it'll be a game that's well remembered long after others are forgotten. And he got that exactly right

This Eurogamer review, it's just incoherent, and even if he has criticisms, he certainly didn't express them well. It was basically a "if you hate Metal Gear, you'll hate this. That's why I hate this"

ElyrionX

nelsonroyale said:
the eurogamer review, does read like a rant...very poorly structured...its the case of having somewhat of a negative feeling on completing the game, unable to define it meaningfully (the writing in the review is all over the place) and writing in a review while attempting reconcile his own feelings.....

this seems as ridiculous as their resistance review

QFT again.

After reading the review, it's hard to tell what the reviewer thinks is the biggest problem with the game.

Someone should send the reviewer The Economist Style Guide to English Usage.

BlockBastard said:
That last line irks me so much.
yeah i hate that "dont come back" line......shows the real attitude the reviewer had towards the game. i think something like this would've been much better:

"Lets all utter a few words of awe as our long time hero Solid Snake rides into the sunset and into our eternal hearts. His era is over. Long Live Solid Snake."

much much more professional and respect. not some "OK GTFO NOW, SNAKE"

Yoboman said:
Greg K totally justified his criticisms. In retrospect, you can scoff at the score but he had it all justified on paper, from the backwards camera to the menu, inventory system. And he did not express it as a rant, he still said it'll be a game that's well remembered long after others are forgotten. And he got that exactly right

This Eurogamer review, it's just incoherent, and even if he has criticisms, he certainly didn't express them well. It was basically a "if you hate Metal Gear, you'll hate this. That's why I hate this"

Yeah, yeah, poor wording. Greg K was my favorite game reviewer when he was still working at gamespot. What I was trying to say, I guess is this: I've never really been one to get riled up over another persons opinion, but that closing line in the eurogamer review really gets to me.

Not to mention Greg Kasavin gave Subsistence a higher score. :D

DCharlie

Banned
yeah i hate that "dont come back" line......shows the real attitude the reviewer had towards the game. i think something like this would've been much better:

wow

i read that as a term of enderment, like wanting a band to stop before they turn into Del Amitri...

I certainly didn't read it like you guys are reading it, i think you need to all take a deep breath and thing here.

Yoboman

Gold Member
DCharlie said:
wow

i read that as a term of enderment, like wanting a band to stop before they turn into Del Amitri...

I certainly didn't read it like you guys are reading it, i think you need to all take a deep breath and thing here.
How is that a term of endearment?

Rainy Dog

Never liked Eurogamer. Their reviews always seem more concerned with how they're written than the game they're reviewing. But that's besides the point.

Before even considering the score, I think we need to appreciate that the reviewer openly admits that they're one of those that both loves and hates MGS games. Which is an easy thing to be able to do imo. Personally, I have nothing but love for them. But I can also fully understand how anyone could easily dislike them. Its an acquired taste in gaming if ever there was was one.

That said, I do have to wonder at Eurogamer's choice of reviewer for a game of this status.

Or actually, taking into account certain things re. that status, maybe I don't...

Yoboman said:
i think he meant a lacksidasical/unenthusiastic "endearment" as in

I-really-dont-give-a-shit-about-this-game-or-series-and-I-am-glad-its-finally-fking-over

what a great person to be reviewing Snake's last game, dontcha think?

Wow. This thread is amazing. Definitely pro work. Thread of the generation!

The eurogamer review reads like an angry fanboy rant. Why go there when they should've done the same with halo 1 and gta4?

FirewalkR

OH MY GOD BRUCELEEROY WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Best Thread EVER by far. *bows, as always*

How dare EG spoil such perfection with their unworthy score.

Mash

DCharlie said:
wow

The voice of reason mofos.

frAntic_Frog said:
what a great person to be reviewing Snake's last game, dontcha think?

Well I don't think they should necessarily have a fanboy/girl review it, but at the least it should be someone that has a neutral feeling on the series. You can just tell by reading that review that the guy writing it doesn't really like the series.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
DCharlie said:
wow

Same here, man.

DCharlie

Banned

It's possible to love something and appreciate that this is the final part and that futhering the series with a 5th part should either be a complete restart or a bit of a departure. Much is made in the review that it will possibly remain a love/hate thing, and i'd go with the reviewer hinting for change.

the full phrase is "We love you, Snake. Don't come back."

We love you, Snake, we love the games until now, but perhaps it's time for change.

Finishing the Snake thread on a high prevents Solid Snake and Kojima's legacy from ever being tarnished.

:shrug:

F@lus, i dunno what you are trying to say. Eurogamers 8/10 doesn't concern me. I'll have my english language copy as soon as it turns up, and after talking to B.B and RP about it, i'm as syched for this as any other game.

It just seems that some of the reactions to -one- review and one specific comment are a bit OTT

Frenck

Banned
The Eurogamer review is pretty good. I want the game even more now :D

I think there is some justification for the score too. It isn't a game for everyone. Some gamers won't even make it past the intro. It's a game for a very specific niche of gamers, giving it a 9.9 is the wrong message.

SamuraiX-

GhaleonQ said:
He mentions that it's evolved, but that you don't do much fun stuff in the 2nd act apart from boss fights.
Your point on that, I think, is totally valid.

Could you possibly spoiler tag that part of your post? I feel like it's just giving away a bit too much. I didn't read the review because I heard it gave spoilers and that kind of tells too much about the pacing of the game.

DCharlie said:
It just seems that some of the reactions to -one- review and one specific comment are a bit OTT

Give me a break, man. When I was mugged 5 years ago the first thing that came to my mind when I had some douchebag crackhead pointing a gun to my face was "Holy shit, I might not be able to play MGS3".

Anyway, I really can't argue against the review as there is no way in hell I'm reading it due to spoilers. :<

Mash

SolidSnakex said:
Well I don't think they should necessarily have a fanboy/girl review it, but at the least it should be someone that has a neutral feeling on the series. You can just tell by reading that review that the guy writing it doesn't really like the series.

Metal Gear seems to polarise people though, even though there's things I dislike about it I'm definitely one of those who would see past a lot of things and consider it holistically but perhaps that isn't fair on other games. It's really conflicting having a popular news source reviewing a game like MGS, they can either review it as someone who "gets" it or from the view point of someone who, say, doesn't visit NeoGaf. It would be tough for any reviewer, I'm just glad there's people who write about games and have an opinion rather than racing through a list of points they need to cover.

antiloop

DCharlie said:
It's possible to love something and appreciate that this is the final part and that futhering the series with a 5th part should either be a complete restart or a bit of a departure. Much is made in the review that it will possibly remain a love/hate thing, and i'd go with the reviewer hinting for change.

We love you, Snake, we love the games until now, but perhaps it's time for change.

Finishing the Snake thread on a high prevents Solid Snake and Kojima's legacy from ever being tarnished.

:shrug:

F@lus, i dunno what you are trying to say. Eurogamers 8/10 doesn't concern me. I'll have my english language copy as soon as it turns up, and after talking to B.B and RP about it, i'm as syched for this as any other game.

So basically he loved the game/s. Just not the story or the gameplay and especially not solid snake.

"Time to move on"

dejan

dino1980 said:
bundles1.jpg

Is the european bundle correct?

Thought it was 40gb with sixaxis.
Anyone? Epic OP btw!

lherre

Accurate
DCharlie said:

And is not better say "We love you, Snake. Farewell" or something like that? I mean something more "polite"?

SamuraiX-

ElyrionX said:
Just wait till the US GAFers wake up.

Oh Lawd! XD

Yeah, probably what you've seen so far in terms of criticism for the review is being "kind" in terms of how much ranting those dudes will do. :lol

Frenck said:
It's a game for a very specific niche of gamers, giving it a 9.9 is the wrong message.

Why? There are lots of people who won't play or like GTA because they don't like open world games, the same goes for something like HALO because they don't like FPS or GT because they don't like sim racers. But that shouldn't stop any of them from getting high scores.

Mash

BlockBastard said:
Give me a break, man. When I was mugged 5 years ago the first thing that came to my mind when I had some douchebag crackhead pointing a gun to my face was "Holy shit, I might not be able to play MGS3".

Anyway, I really can't argue against the review as there is no way in hell I'm reading it due to spoilers. :<

Wow, DCharlie's point is even more valid. Get some perspective ffs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BlockBastard said:
I was in a similar situation just a couple of months ago and right away I thought: "I need to keep my calm, I need to play MGS4 first".

There was a site posted near the beginning of this thread and the reviewer didn't award Metal Gear 4 a number or letter grade. It was just a write-up review with no senseless scoring attached to it. Gaming journalism really, really needs to get away from the whole "let's award games a number or letter score or we won't be considered legitimate journalists" mentality.

GTA IV has single handedly destroyed gaming journalism's credibility in my eyes. Even diehard fans of that series disagreed with the perfect 10's being freely passed about. The hyperbole in the reviews, the constant fellating, and the overall attitude of "let's hype this game up even though it doesn't need it" really sickened me.

The Eurogamer review criticizes Metal Gear 4 of being more of the same and awards it an 8. GTA IV, a game still plagued with problems that have persisted in every new installment of the franchise, was awarded a 10 by them. So maybe these reviewers should show some consistency and hold every game franchise under the same criteria.

I'm just sick of gaming media in general. There's an air of self-importance that seems to flow out of many gaming journalists that is extremely off-putting to me. If their not trying to suck their own dicks then they're needlessly hyping up games and generously passing out scores.

My point is that when journalists place such a huge emphasis on scoring then they destroy the hard work they put into writing the review in the first place. They might as well just post a number or letter grade and then sign their John Hancock onto it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The MGS4 you were expecting, it turns out, is no more than half of the game you get.

This line has me really excited for some reason. If it turns out to be a crazy MGS2 level mindfuck, SIGN ME UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom