• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 - MGS1 Port Takes 10~ Seconds to "Pause" Game

Reaseru

How the hell one of the biggest video game publishers could fall this hard? Konami just don't care anymore. Just sell the gaming division already, and keep the health & insurance businesses to yourselves.

How the hell one of the biggest video game publishers could fall this hard? Konami just don't care anymore. Just sell the gaming division already, and keep the health & insurance businesses to yourselves.
I for one think they should sell the IPs to Sony, so we can get AAA titles (probably with input from Kojima), of Silent Hill, Metal Gear, and Castlevania. They could also milk those for movies and streaming series.

KOMANI

KOMANI
It's a 2 second pause to go from gameplay to the Master Collection menu. It's longer (11 sec) when going from cutscene to the Master Collection Menu.
The streamer is also playing the PAL version of MGS1. PAL doesn't run as smooth as NTSC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I am fully expecting this to be a shot port, but this is an absolute non-issue. People are claiming this is literally unplayable because… it doesn’t have instantaneous pausing during cut-scenes? And this makes it worse than the GTA remaster? What the fuck are you people talking about?

None of this is helped by adamsapple adamsapple ‘s click-bait drama post title, of course, but ffs - this is not the hill to die on. And people here complain about game devs having “agendas”…

All the relevant info is in the OP, I've not missed out on anything intentionally and you can only add so much in a topic title.

dotnotbot

It's a 2 second pause to go from gameplay to the Master Collection menu. It's longer (11 sec) when going from cutscene to the Master Collection Menu.
The streamer is also playing the PAL version of MGS1. PAL doesn't run as smooth as NTSC.

Hopefully there's an option to switch to NTSC rom, otherwise it's gonna have same judder issues as Sony's PS1 emulation had.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
It's still mindblowing to me how this collection went in my impression from "must buy" on its initial announcement to just "meh, maybe a deep sale"

Embearded

Do you know If we can choose which version to run?

Draugoth

Gold Member
metal_gear_master_collection.png

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 is due to release soon. New information provided on a stream of the classic game collection reveals that the game’s loading times for pausing the game during cutscenes are pitifully slow. So much so that it takes over 10 seconds after pressing the start button to even get the game to pause. This sounds pretty shocking. Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 isn’t due out until next week, so there’s some hope that there could be a day one patch to fix this particular issue. But at the present moment, the slow response regarding the controls doesn’t bode particularly well for the classic collection.

See Below:

Quite a misleading title, I thought this was a huge issue. But just when pausing cutscenes? Eh.

I imagine there are going to be more problems with it however but we'll get a better picture when it actually comes out.
Not that I disagree, but really, at this point, with these games and with the little actual work put into it to make it a good "remaster"/"rerelease", it's really just inexcusable that something like this, this old, should be anything other than a celebration of the storied franchise. Instead we are again getting a cheap cash-grab by Konami. How they put more work into the Silent Hill 2 rerelease and that was still so poorly done and now this...It's like they really never learn.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

This entire story was an example of poor journalism and the spread of misinformation. You cannot pause cutscenes in the sense most people are thinking.

You can only pause the emulator running MGS1 and the older MG titles. You cannot pause the (very) lengthy cutscenes in MGS2 or MGS3, which is what most ppl were probably referencing. Yet that little fact didn't stop almost every outlet from running this click bait story.

Top Bottom