• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [Impressions from Nasu]

I hope this isn't the kind of thing that caused them to get rid of Hayter. He made that one comment about how he didn't agree that Snake would hesitate to pull the trigger at the end of MGS4, but he was pretty clear about the fact that it is Kojima's game and he respects his decision at the end of the day. Some people did blow it out of proportion though making it sound like Hayter hated MGS4, and he had to write an open letter, so I hope Kojima read that and didn't misconceive it as an attack on his work. http://www.1up.com/news/open-letter-david-hayter

Hayter has sort of made fun of stuff like Johnny ending up with Meryl since actually losing the role, though... I hope stuff like that and his behaviour on twitter hasn't killed his chance of reprising Solid Snake when he returns.

Peace Walker came out 2 years after that, and the English dub of the digital graphic novels last year.

Impression from Egoraptor:

qfYigGv.png

And I'm out, not getting GZ, I'm just gonna wait for TPP. I can't deal with a 2 hours game and no substantial story and message at all.

It's not a stealth game anymore, there's little story, cutscenes reduced, codec probably not existant... sigh

tumblr_lk8j6qmj7K1qzu5wc.gif

Too much gameplay over cutscenes and no cardboard boxes?

This is not MGS anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/tBD21Cp.jpg
Don't look now guys. Crazy theory about David Hayter's involvement with a very suspicious new Japanese companie called IQiOi, which was launched merely a couple days ago, yet the company info dates from 2003.

What's that suposed to mean?

That they're gonna took ppl money for a fake project that is just a viral thing for MGS V?

WTF! that dosn't make sense, and probably is also illegal.

Salaadin

Isnt the intro cutscene to GZ ten minutes long? And havent impressions stated that the final cutscene is also pretty long? What seems to have changed is the interrupted gameplay side of things...the shitty "take 5 steps, codec, take 10 steps, cutscene" approach that a lot of MGS games have. Sounds like theyre almost taking a Bioshock or Dead Space like approach to cluing you in on details WHILE you play and not stopping you so you can stare at two talking heads for a few minutes.

Thats fine by me. Its always been the weakest part of the series.

What's that suposed to mean?

That they're gonna took ppl money for a fake project that is just a viral thing for MGS V?

WTF! that dosn't make sense, and probably is also illegal.

Try to ignore them :/

What seems to have changed is the interrupted gameplay side of things...the shitty "take 5 steps, codec, take 10 steps, cutscene" approach that a lot of MGS games have.

Yeah basically, similar to Peace Walker but PP should have longer missions.

DieH@rd

Banned
Isnt the intro cutscene to GZ ten minutes long? And havent impressions stated that the final cutscene is also pretty long? What seems to have changed is the interrupted gameplay side of things...the shitty "take 5 steps, codec, take 10 steps, cutscene" approach that a lot of MGS games have. Sounds like theyre almost taking a Bioshock or Dead Space like approach to cluing you in on details WHILE you play and not stopping you so you can stare at two talking heads for a few minutes.

Game map/info overlay screen now also doesn't pause the game, which will further more increase sneaking tension. No more 5 min codec talks in the middle of bossfight. :)

I will need to charge up my phone before starting GZ. Second screen app will have a lot of use for GZ and TPP.

RedSwirl

Has anybody compared the controls to Peace Walker HD? From the videos this game's controls seem to basically be evolved from those of Peace Walker.

DieH@rd

Banned
Has anybody compared the controls to Peace Walker HD? From the videos this game's controls seem to basically be evolved from those of Peace Walker.

Controls are now even more similar like many other 3rd person games. I thinbk GI journalists mentioned controls in their video.

RedSwirl

I like codec conversations and actually missed them in MGS4, but I agree that half the game shouldn't be a radio drama. They can probably have similar conversations going on as Snake is playing the game. Probably more realistic too instead of having Snake just squatting somewhere for 10 minutes every time he's using the codec with the player wondering if nearby enemies can hear him.

I actually like how Peace Walker handled it. It still had a dedicated "codec button," but pressing it would just give you quick quips from your support team. Meanwhile, all the lengthy conversations were moved to tapes you could listen to in-between missions. It even fit well with PW being a portable game since you could just sit back and listen to the tapes like a podcast or something. I hope they do something similar in Phantom Pain.

GZ has L2 as codec button, you can get different messages depending on what you look at via binoculars at least. I think it's also used for interrogation/giving orders.

eso76

I just wanted to mention that I completed MGS 1 in ~6 hours on my first playthrough.
It took me a whole Saturday afternoon + Sunday morning.
And that's including cut scenes etc.

Also, It was the Japanese import limited edition, which I paid something like 170$ at the time.

Regrets ?
yeah, you bet :-(
Seriously though, I have such fond memories of my time with MGS.

I just wanted to mention that I completed MGS 1 in ~6 hours on my first playthrough.
It took me a whole Saturday afternoon + Sunday morning.
And that's including cut scenes etc.

Also, It was the Japanese import limited edition, which I paid something like 170$ at the time.

Regrets ?
yeah, you bet :-(
Seriously though, I have such fond memories of my time with MGS.

That's pretty quick. I assume you were tapping fast through the codec messages.

Spaghetti

Is that not wholly appropriate for a Metal Gear thread though? Of all game series that could have some kind of conspiracy going on behind the scenes, is MGS not really likely?
there are theories

and then there are dumb theories

like the one about the blackmore being a front, which with even a single bit of critical thinking applied to it falls apart completely

GZ has L2 as codec button, you can get different messages depending on what you look at via binoculars at least. I think it's also used for interrogation/giving orders.

I really, really hope that isn't the only form of Codec in the game. I was worried about that since I saw them do it in the demo. I'm cool with a bit of extra intel on things while I'm scoping out a base, but that's no replacement for proper, full-length Codec calls about movies and vampires and philosophy.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
As much of a fan of codecs in the early games with VO, I prefer the tapes (like the ones from Peace Walker) for the extended dialogue & information.

I really, really hope that isn't the only form of Codec in the game. I was worried about that since I saw them do it in the demo. I'm cool with a bit of extra intel on things while I'm scoping out a base, but that's no replacement for proper, full-length Codec calls about movies and vampires and philosophy.

Looking at specific things could trigger different codecs couldn't it? Could create a bunch of easter eggs.

Looking at specific things could trigger different codecs couldn't it? Could create a bunch of easter eggs.

It's a neat idea that I'm looking forward to playing with, but I still want my proper Codec menu, y'know? There's no way you'd get all those good, meaty Codec conversations if they all have to play in real time while you're holding the binoculars up. You'd never get to call your support team for information on how to beat a boss, for example. MGS4's Codec/one-way line to Otacon was disappointing enough, I'd hate to see them take another step backwards.

It's a neat idea that I'm looking forward to playing with, but I still want my proper Codec menu, y'know? There's no way you'd get all those good, meaty Codec conversations if they all have to play in real time while you're holding the binoculars up. You'd never get to call your support team for information on how to beat a boss, for example. MGS4's Codec/one-way line to Otacon was disappointing enough, I'd hate to see them take another step backwards.

I think you could get some lengthy, goofy codecs if focused on the right topic and from the right distance. In the other games you always had to guess whether or not this circumstance got its own codec moment and had to circle through the people to get a possible unique one, this could REALLY streamline things, thankfully.

Boss battles, however, is my biggest worry for this system of codec, I don't see how you'll get those great in game codecs like you did in the past with this system. On top of that, this game utilizes regenerating health which makes me a bit worried you won't get really great boss battles like you did in the past. A lot of ducking, hiding and waiting for life to regenerate could really hurt the flow of some types of battles.

ButchCat

Controls are now even more similar like many other 3rd person games. I thinbk GI journalists mentioned controls in their video.
I am gonna miss MGS4s control scheme and the different cqc combos, from the looks of it it's identical to PW where you press square to do all the cqcs.

I am gonna miss MGS4s control scheme and the different cqc combos, from the looks of it it's identical to PW where you press square to do all the cqcs.

I'm pretty sure it's still R1 to get the CQC hold, and from there it's interrogate, throat slice, human shield or CQC slam. The only extra thing MGS4 had was crouching down and sitting on the guy while you choke him out, which might well be in GZ, we just haven't seen it yet. The CQC combo is now a whole flurry of attacks, kind of like the final bossfight in MGS4, and the multi-person slamming thing from Peace Walker is in there, too. Don't forget that you can now take a guy's gun away and shoot him with it immediately, too. I'd say it looks like the best implementation of CQC yet.

The only thing I'd really like to see added in is the ability to put a guy in a CQC hold while you're holding an assault rifle. MGS3 and 4 only let you do it with pistols, but there was that cutscene in MGS4 where Snake loops his rifle barrel around a guy's wrist and locks it up behind his back, so he can aim the rifle right over the top of the guy. I'd love to be able to do that in gameplay.

The only thing I'd really like to see added in is the ability to put a guy in a CQC hold while you're holding an assault rifle. MGS3 and 4 only let you do it with pistols, but there was that cutscene in MGS4 where Snake loops his rifle barrel around a guy's wrist and locks it up behind his back, so he can aim the rifle right over the top of the guy. I'd love to be able to do that in gameplay.

CQC isn't weapon based at all now, because in this game Snake never has a weapon in his hands unless he's aiming it.
The weapon indicator being shown at all times (like above) is a change since the TGS build. I wonder if the old empty hud is still an option.

SkylineRKR

I've always wanted MGS to take more cues from SC. Namely the gameplay and mechanics combined with the MGS DNA ie. focus on a ridiculous story, memorable MGS characters and surrealism.

It seems to me that MGS:V is going to deliver just this.

No cardboard boxes etc I don't really care. I found it funny during the first few games but after that I kind of stopped caring about that goofy shit.

CQC isn't weapon based at all now, because in this game Snake never has a weapon in his hands unless he's aiming it.
The weapon indicator being shown at all times (like above) is a change since the TGS build. I wonder if the old empty hud is still an option.

I hope you can turn off all HUD elements and the button prompts. I know a couple have been confirmed as an option. Never noticed Snake never has a weapon his hand anymore, I kind of liked that.

Spaghetti

なので、よく聴かれる機種別の「フレームレート」や「解像度」は僕的にはほとんど意味がない。でも、あまりにも聴かれるので、明日くらいに公開する予定w

terrible bing translation:

So frequently asked of different models 'frame rate' and 'resolution' is me-it makes little sense. But the plan w to publish tomorrow about being listened too, so

so, uh, we're getting the comparison video tomorrow maybe?

So Kojima doesn't understand why we'd want to know the exact framerate/resoluton of each version? I don't get the other half but I assume him releasing the comparitive trailer has been delayed for some reason?

ReaperXL7

So Kojima doesn't understand why we'd want to know the exact framerate/resoluton of each version? I don't get the other half but I assume him releasing the comparitive trailer has been delayed for some reason?

If it's been delayed I would not be surprised if it was because of MS. I can't imagine they want Konami, or Kojima fueling more examples of the differences between the Xbox One, and PS4.

Spaghetti

i'm not sure exactly where you guys are getting delayed from.

i don't think microsoft has that level of sway over konami though.

jiiikoo

Banned
i'm not sure exactly where you guys are getting delayed from.

i don't think microsoft has that level of sway over konami though.

It would be awesome if MS was really wanting Kojima to delay the game and Kojima decided to delay just the Xbox One version.

raven777

Kojima's full tweet is basically saying that the important thing he want to show with GZ is the evolution of stealth game in MGS and the future, so for him "framerates" and "resolution" are not as important. But since he get tons of question regarding framerates and resolution, he will be releasing the comparison trailer tomorrow.

Spaghetti

It would be awesome if MS was really wanting Kojima to delay the game and Kojima decided to delay just the Xbox One version.
hah

no delay of the game involved though in reality, just a comparison video of the different versions, which should have been finished by last week but i guess the bootcamp for foreign press got in the way of that.

DieH@rd

Banned
more importantly, IS THAT FORKLIFT DRIVABLE?

OMG. Imagine the possibilities. Tactical Forklift Operations. Commencing Virtuous Forklift Mission...

I cant wait to see what kind of shit Kojima will make Kiefer to say during voice recording sessions. lol

Kojima's full tweet is basically saying that the important thing he want to show with GZ is the evolution of stealth game in MGS and the future, so for him "framerates" and "resolution" are not as important. But since he get tons of question regarding framerates and resolution, he will be releasing the comparison trailer tomorrow.

Thank you. Makes sense, so we finally have a date for the trailer release now. I wonder if that will be GameInformer's video tommorow or if they'll have a different feature all together.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was reading about how this game fits into the timeline, and now that I see how this relates to TPP I think it's a pretty clever way to break up the time...you play this single mission, which leads to the coma that lasts for 9 years and the real story begins when you wake up. So splitting the game so lopsidedly makes thematic sense to me now, especially if the wait for TPP is going to be way longer than expected, ha. It makes a lot of money for Konami too, but now I can respect the split a lot more.

Question: was the segment in those stage demos where BB rode a horse in the desert from GZ or TPP? Can't see GZ being big enough to have that part.

saher

Banned
etWuoDk.jpg

Not sure who is this person but he is answering questions, he say that he "saw" the artwork of young Grey Fox too.

Top Bottom