• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [Impressions from Nasu]

One can only hope... I don't get why people cling to this quickness from MGS as I got out of hand a long time ago. It's only funny if you don't overuse it - and it has been mad overused ever since MGS2. Being a bit more serious again would certainly not harm the series.

It's part of the appeal of the series. So many military based games take themselves extremely seriously. There's no room for anything else other than that. MGS has always managed to differentiate itself from those games because it had wacky moments and goofy characters here and there. It wasn't always dead serious.

With that said, i'm not really worried about MGS5 in that area. I don't see Kojima backing off the lighthearted moments even though it's obviously going to be the darkest MGS by a long shot.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You wouldn't possibly want to see more of this...

tumblr_inline_myqhy6KdEt1ql5lmm.gif

would you?

Fuck yeah, that was a brilliant moment. What I don't want to see is the genuinely ridiculous shit like:

MGS without the quirky, silly moments may as well be any other "dudebro", Tom Clancy wannabe, po-faced military shooter. It's the moments of levity and surreality, interspersed with the cod-philosophizing, soap opera plotting and heavy-handed moral messages, that are the very essence of Metal Gear. It's amazing how often Kojima was able to balance those aspects over the series and make it work.

"Hey guys, I have a great idea: Let's take away everything that makes a game unique or special."

XD

jett

D-Member
As sad as publications not telling the whole story.

Bullshit. What should they have mentioned? The hypothetical amount of times the average gamer might replay this shit? How long it would take to get a platinum trophy? I spent 50 hours getting the platinum trophy in Metal Gear Rising, and it'd be fucking retarded to say that the game is 50 hours long. Fucking deal the bullshit length and pricing of this game.

One can only hope... I don't get why people cling to this quickness from MGS as I got out of hand a long time ago. It's only funny if you don't overuse it - and it has been mad overused ever since MGS2. Being a bit more serious again would certainly not harm the series.

Eh, MGS1 and even before that had a bunch of quirky stuff.
Otacon, tricking a guard with ketchup, Mei-Ling getting pissed at Snake about the Women's restroom, Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf's wolves, cigarettes to see lasers while also losing health, etc

hwy_61

Banned
Bullshit. What should they have mentioned? The hypothetical amount of times the average gamer might replay this shit? How long it would take to get a platinum trophy? I spent 50 hours getting the platinum trophy in Metal Gear Rising, and it'd be fucking retarded to say that the game is 50 hours long. Fucking deal the bullshit length and pricing of this game.

porque? No comprendo.

I love MGS's quirkiness but MGS4 and even MGS3 at times took it a bit too far for me. I would love a return to MGS1s level, but dont want it gone entirerly. I think with MGS4 it stood out more because we were expecting this "epic, serious finale" kind of thing from the original E3 trailers and got Akiba/Meryl, Mt. Snakemore and such... I think whats most appealing about MGSV to me is that I can't imagine anything like that (at least at the more tense moments) next to these delicate issues Kojima is addressing like child soldiers.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I love MGS's quirkiness but MGS4 and even MGS3 at times took it a bit too far for me. I would love a return to MGS1s level, but dont want it gone entirerly. I think with MGS4 it stood out more because we were expecting this "epic, serious finale" kind of thing from the original E3 trailers and got Akiba/Meryl, Mt. Snakemore and such... I think whats most appealing about MGSV to me is that I can't imagine anything like that (at least at the more tense moments) next to these delicate issues Kojima is addressing like child soldiers.

MGS4 certainly jumped the shark, but MGS3? I can't think of anything in it that was nearly as awful and unwarranted as Mount Snakemore. Any specific moments that pushed it over the edge for you?

Garou

On Cardboard-geddon: The Japanese Amazon-Edition of Ground Zeros comes with a DLC-code for a special cardboard-box for The Phantom Pain.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Thank god someone shares my view. This is exactly what I wanted to say. I loved the funny moments in MGS1 but it just went over the top with MGS3 and 4.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Looking back it does seem like MGS3 used way more overt humor than MGS2. Maybe they both had roughly the same amount but in MGS2 you more often had to look for or stumble upon the humor while MGS3 shoved it in your face a little more.

MGS4 needs no explanation. Peace Walker is literally COMICal.

Glad that GZ seems to dial it back more while still maintaining the charming nuances and levity of MGS.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Thank god someone shares my view. This is exactly what I wanted to say. I loved the funny moments in MGS1 but it just went over the top with MGS3 and 4.

What moments in 3 do you feel were too much? I'm wracking my brain but can't think of a single one that was comparable with Mount Snakemore in it's excess and irrelevance... inquiring minds want to know! :)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What moments in 3 do you feel were too much? I'm wracking my brain but can't think of a single one that was comparable with Mount Snakemore in it's excess and irrelevance... inquiring minds want to know! :)

It never quite reached MGS4 levels, but Raikov, The End's dentures, the Fury exploding into flaming faces of death, the motorcycle backflip off Ocelot's face, Ocelot spinning his revolver really fast to kill bees, and Snake shooting a piece of falling debris with a rocker launcher at just the right time during the motorcycle chase. So roughly about the same as 2, more or less.

MGS4 certainly jumped the shark, but MGS3? I can't think of anything in it that was nearly as awful and unwarranted as Mount Snakemore. Any specific moments that pushed it over the edge for you?

Don't get me wrong nothing was on MGS4's level. The main thing that bothered me was the presentation of some of the Cobras, like them exploding after you killed them. Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhbjTvok1Fk

Among some other very campy moments which worked for MGS3 but I think set a bad predecent for 4.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
"Hey guys, I have a great idea: Let's take away everything that makes a game unique or special."

XD
Are you talking about the game with a magic horse set on fire?

I already bought a new pair of pants to take off while playing this. Kojima gonna Kojima, some will hate it some will love it.
Im in the love camp as always.

I BELIEVE IN KOJIGOD

truth should have been reported by the so called journalists who broke the story

I'll still take that over Kiefer.

Hes not a voice actor, he's just a big name

And Hayter had to force his last performance because Kojima made Snake friggin 60 years old!

With a little actual direction (like Kiefer is getting from Kojima), Hayter could have channeled MGS1 Snake (or better), instead of being stuck in a booth all day reading his lines by himself.

Kiefer has done a couple of games, pretty sure he was a lead in World at War.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong nothing was on MGS4's level. The main thing that bothered me was the presentation of some of the Cobras, like them exploding after you killed them. Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhbjTvok1Fk

Among some other very campy moments which worked for MGS3 but I think set a bad predecent for 4.

It never quite reached MGS4 levels, but Raikov, The End's dentures, the Fury exploding into flaming faces of death, the motorcycle backflip off Ocelot's face, Ocelot spinning his revolver really fast to kill bees, and Snake shooting a piece of falling debris with a rocker launcher at just the right time during the motorcycle chase. So roughly about the same as 2, more or less.

Fair enough. I can't say any of those felt out of place for the series to me.

Obviously, what one considers “too much” is purely down to the individual, but to me Raikov seemed like a nice little in-joke for the fans who didn’t take to him (and wasn’t entirely implausible), whilst the whole Fury exploding into faces schtick (or even all of the Cobras schtick) tied in with the series’ fondness for the supernatural, especially when it comes to it's bosses.

Take MGS, for example: Vulcan Raven gets eaten alive by crows, can carry a gun designed for fighter jets, and has tattoos that come to life; there are ghosts all over Shadow Moses that appear in photos; Psycho Mantis has psychic powers and can possess people; Sniper Wolf can communicate/command wolves; Decoy Octopus can take on anyone's form and even steal all of the blood in their body; Liquid Snake can survive a fall off REX specifically stated to be able kill his clone; a designer virus that assassinates people; there's a bipedal tank that roars like a dinosaur; there's an undead zombie ninja... etc.

I mean, those moments in MGS3 weren't any more excessive than anything else in the series up to that point to me...

…but fuck Mount Snakemore. It's irrelevant to the plot, utterly excessive and without any point to it. It's far and away the most ridiculous moment in the series, far beyond anything else Kojima’s pulled.

It's all about time and place as well. I wouldn't have hated Mt. Snakemore nearly as much if it wasn't what Ocelot escapes into after our battle with him, it takes away from a dramatic moment. Imagine if Skull Face did the same when Motherbase goes up in flames, that's the kind of thing I don't want. I'm okay with stuff like flaming unicorns or whatever when it's in a situation like Snake waking up from the hospital and is disoriented leaving it up to the player to decide what is real or fake, or the appearance of the Sorrow after jumping into the Waterfall. Similarly "goofy" humourous moments like Johnny diarrhea jokes I think have a time and a place.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's all about time and place as well. I wouldn't have hated Mt. Snakemore nearly as much if it wasn't what Ocelot escapes into after our battle with him, it takes away from a dramatic moment. Imagine if Skull Face did the same when Motherbase goes up in flames, that's the kind of thing I don't want. I'm okay with stuff like flaming unicorns or whatever when it's in a situation like Snake waking up from the hospital and is disoriented leaving it up to the player to decide what is real or fake, or the appearance of the Sorrow after jumping into the Waterfall. Similarly "goofy" humourous moments like Johnny diarrhea jokes I think have a time and a place.

Yeah, I can see that. I don't think anything in MGS3 was particularly out of place, whereas Snakemore had no place in the series. I took it as a big FURK YOU to the fan worship of the Snake family, rather than a humorous or goofy (or even philosophical) moment.

I still find it baffling that they felt the need to upgrade his role like they did. What happened to him being just an easter egg?

You see, I didn't mind that so much. I admit, I'm retarded and laughed. Then again, I don't think Kojima put a foot wrong in the first two sections of MGS4.

SJRB

Gold Member
I still find it baffling that they felt the need to upgrade his role like they did. What happened to him being just an easter egg?

Script needed a replacement for Solid Snake to give Meryl the happy ending, I suppose. So they used Johnny because Johnny has a crush on Meryl since the original Metal Gear Solid AND they can use diarrhea jokes more frequently.

WIN/WIN

[except for players. We lose]

casmith07

No cardboard boxes eh?

So finally trending somewhat realistic. I like.

After reading impressions I was hype then unhype but now hype again.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Back in Amsterdam after a hellish flight from Tokyo to Moscow and then Moscow to Amsterdam.

Anyway, Ground Zeroes is pretty damn good. Mechanically, easily the best Metal Gear game I've ever played. Prettiest too, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. I didn't see a real difference between the Xbone and PS4 versions, but then again, I'm not a graphics whore in the slightest and don't go around looking for inconsistencies.

I'd say it'll take a Metal Gear fan around 7-8 hours to play through all of the missions at least once. Maybe 6 if they're the kind of people who're used to playing European Extreme on the older games.

After playing through all of the missions once, I had completed about 28%. The rest of that percentage is mostly just replaying missions, to complete it on Hard and get higher rankings.

It's a great game, just a bit expensive.

DieH@rd

Banned
Back in Amsterdam after a hellish flight from Tokyo to Moscow and then Moscow to Amsterdam.

Anyway, Ground Zeroes is pretty damn good. Mechanically, easily the best Metal Gear game I've ever played. Prettiest too, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. I didn't see a real difference between the Xbone and PS4 versions, but then again, I'm not a graphics whore in the slightest and don't go around looking for inconsistencies.

I'd say it'll take a Metal Gear fan around 7-8 hours to play through all of the missions at least once. Maybe 6 if they're the kind of people who're used to playing European Extreme on the older games.

After playing through all of the missions once, I had completed about 28%. The rest of that percentage is mostly just replaying missions, to complete it on Hard and get higher rankings.

Thanks for impressions!

Spainkiller

Yeah, two hours for the main mission and about 45 minutes for each side mission.

To unlock the final side mission you need to collect all nine XOF patches, and they're hidden ingeniously.

ezekial45

Banned
Would you say that playing GZ has made you extremely hyped for TPP? It sounds like GZ has some strong foundations that the next game will build upon.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
From the reactions to no Hayter or boxes in here, don't know how I can trust any gaf reactions to this game. I'm personally glad that nothing's too sacred to Kojima.

DieH@rd

Banned
Spainkiller, what's your impression about framerate? Rocksolid 60? No judder/tearing?

There no base-building gameplay in GZ? Just soldier extraction?

Spainkiller

Very hyped for TPP, yes. Can't wait for that. Kojima said TPP's world is 200 times bigger than GZ.

There's no base building in GZ, no.

Also, Sutherland > Hayter. Trust me on this.

Thanks for the impressions, man! Could you give us an idea what the side-missions are like? Is there any story context to them at all, or is it just a case of reaching waypoints without being spotted, or extracting marked guys, stuff like that? ~45 minutes each sounds a lot more substantial than what I was expecting.

Cardboard will make sweet microtransactions... 0.29$ per cardbox, Kojima could even get paid to put some adds over them.

I'm joking...

Spainkiller

Thanks for the impressions, man! Could you give us an idea what the side-missions are like? Is there any story context to them at all, or is it just a case of reaching waypoints without being spotted, or extracting marked guys, stuff like that? ~45 minutes each sounds a lot more substantial than what I was expecting.

They add some story context, yes. Not very much, though, but still.

The missions range from "blow up the anti air cannons" to "find out and kill two specific soldiers before they exit the base". It's pretty fun stuff.

Top Bottom