• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [Impressions from Nasu]

Alienous

Kojima wouldn't go anywhere near Blaustein.

Hayter's a funny film dude, so the car crash is just very Hayter-ish.

Donna Burke is doing a solid for a friend, Blaustein, because of their Konami connection.

This is akin to saying Ryan Payton's Rebulique is Metal Gear Solid VI.

Courage

http://i.imgur.com/tBD21Cp.jpg
Don't look now guys. Crazy theory about David Hayter's involvement with a very suspicious new Japanese companie called IQiOi, which was launched merely a couple days ago, yet the company info dates from 2003.

DYH5vxt.gif

how many cutscenes and how long are they about?

I've read "two"... I think that's wrong though, they might have meant just two long cutscenes. I mean there's gotta be a cutscene when Snake reaches Chico and Paz. Kojima has said that MGSV will be less cutscene focused and EgoRaptor has said about as much saying it's more of a gameplay focused experience than past MGS.

They add some story context, yes. Not very much, though, but still.

The missions range from "blow up the anti air cannons" to "find out and kill two specific soldiers before they exit the base". It's pretty fun stuff.

Don't give anything away, but as short as the main mission is, are there any big surprises in the story that haven't already been spoilt by the trailers? We all knew Motherbase was gonna be destroyed and Big Boss was gonna go into a coma, I hope those weren't the "twists" playtesters were referring to.

This. He was the original guy that got fired for MGS1 for not doing a direct translation lol.

I am getting this regardless of completion time. I try to think of it as a nice, albeit costly, treat before the eventual main meal. Plus, I want more graphically impressive games on the system - Tomb Raider was so glorious I gladly played it through again.

Yeah, two hours for the main mission and about 45 minutes for each side mission.

To unlock the final side mission you need to collect all nine XOF patches, and they're hidden ingeniously.

If it takes two hours then how complicated is the main mission? Is it literally just swoop in, extract Chico and Paz, then an ending cutscene? Are there obstacles to reaching them aside from just the guards patrolling? Like linear MGS would tend to use devices that kept you from reaching your objective until you solved some gameplay puzzle or faced a boss or whatever, I'm wondering if the Open World design takes away from that.

eXistor

I think it's gonna be a great game, but I'm afraid they're taking it too seriously with this one. I always viewed the MGS games as being like cheesy comic books (in a good way) and this seems to be lacking that cheesiness, going instead for a more serious (and generic) tone.

I hope I'm wrong about this though (I haven't really been following the game much).

ibl6y6TWXd7Tia.PNG

What is this even trying to prove? lol

Hey, this one random image from this game looks kinda sorta like a random thing from this other one! Almost!

I suppose it's about as convincing as the Gray Fox body double theory, which started with, "Hey, this one random Fox Engine character model render without hair almost kind of looks like Gray Fox's character model in The Twin Snakes if you squint!"

Also, yeah, Blaustein is persona non grata at KojiPro after someone (allegedly Ryan Payton) convinced Kojima that Blaustein made fun of his work in the MGS1 localisation. This would have to be one hell of a long con :p

Hey, this one random image from this game looks kinda sorta like a random thing from this other one! Almost!

I suppose it's about as convincing as the Gray Fox body double theory, which started with, "Hey, this one random Fox Engine character model render without hair almost kind of looks like Gray Fox's character model in The Twin Snakes if you squint!"

Also, yeah, Blaustein is persona non grata at KojiPro after someone (allegedly Ryan Payton) convinced Kojima that Blaustein made fun of his work in the MGS1 localisation.

Pretty sure that was Scott Dolph. But yeah, it explains why MGS1 had by far the most natural-sounding dialogue in the series.

Spaghetti

Also, yeah, Blaustein is persona non grata at KojiPro after someone (allegedly Ryan Payton) convinced Kojima that Blaustein made fun of his work in the MGS1 localisation. This would have to be one hell of a long con :p
uh i'm pretty sure any problems between kojima and blaustein were during the mgs1 localisation and did not involve ryan payton in the slightest considering he wouldn't work at konami for over half a decade after mgs1

edit: beat

Slixshot

Banned
Lé Blade Runner;100906334 said:
I am getting this regardless of completion time. I try to think of it as a nice, albeit costly, treat before the eventual main meal. Plus, I want more graphically impressive games on the system - Tomb Raider was so glorious I gladly played it through again.

It's a glass of the finest wine.

I hope this isn't the kind of thing that caused them to get rid of Hayter. He made that one comment about how he didn't agree that Snake would hesitate to pull the trigger at the end of MGS4, but he was pretty clear about the fact that it is Kojima's game and he respects his decision at the end of the day. Some people did blow it out of proportion though making it sound like Hayter hated MGS4, and he had to write an open letter, so I hope Kojima read that and didn't misconceive it as an attack on his work. http://www.1up.com/news/open-letter-david-hayter

Hayter has sort of made fun of stuff like Johnny ending up with Meryl since actually losing the role, though... I hope stuff like that and his behaviour on twitter hasn't killed his chance of reprising Solid Snake when he returns.

Furyous

If finishing the game takes 1.5 hours then it's safe to assume we're looking at a 15 hour experience.

That's still far shy of price of the game. However, it's not out yet and there's at least a few hours of codec conversations.

Peff

I hope this isn't the kind of thing that caused them to get rid of Hayter. He made that one comment about how he didn't agree that Snake would hesitate to pull the trigger at the end of MGS4, but he was pretty clear about the fact that it is Kojima's game and he respects his decision at the end of the day. Some people did blow it out of proportion though making it sound like Hayter hated MGS4, and he had to write an open letter, so I hope Kojima read that and didn't misconceive it as an attack on his work. http://www.1up.com/news/open-letter-david-hayter

Hayter has sort of made fun of stuff like Johnny ending up with Meryl since actually losing the role, though... I hope stuff like that and his behaviour on twitter hasn't killed his chance of reprising Solid Snake when he returns.

If that were the case they would have replaced him with, I dunno, Steve Blum or John DiMaggio, not with a Hollywood actor. Sutherland's schedule was open, they talked, reached a price that wasn't outrageous and jumped on it like they did with Castlevania. It most likely is that simple.

Hayter's a funny film dude, so the car crash is just very Hayter-ish.

Donna Burke is doing a solid for a friend, Blaustein, because of their Konami connection.

This is akin to saying Ryan Payton's Rebulique is Metal Gear Solid VI.

Thanks, seriously. You just saved me some typing time :)

If finishing the game takes 1.5 hours then it's safe to assume we're looking at a 15 hour experience.

That's still far shy of price of the game. However, it's not out yet and there's at least a few hours of codec conversations.

15 hours for 40 bucks? I'm down with that. Maybe I'll just go 30 and hit the digital instead.

I hope the secrets entail those awesome weapons ala Peace Walker and 4. Being able to fuck around with the guard drastically is what made me return to 4 so much.

hal9001

Banned
I was going to get the game anyway, but those impressions are really encouraging. It's been almost 6 years since we've played MGS4 and I can't wait to dive back into the metal gear world even if its for a couple of hours.

k, after all the delicious controversy of last week, I think I'm back in for the $30 digital version. I'd prefer a disc, but the inflated price and lack of Shinkawa art make it easy to pass up. I still wouldn't blame anyone for skipping it on grounds of price-gouging bullshit, but I think I can live with myself at $30.

DieH@rd

Banned
How about we return discussing this:

Back in Amsterdam after a hellish flight from Tokyo to Moscow and then Moscow to Amsterdam.

Anyway, Ground Zeroes is pretty damn good. Mechanically, easily the best Metal Gear game I've ever played. Prettiest too, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. I didn't see a real difference between the Xbone and PS4 versions, but then again, I'm not a graphics whore in the slightest and don't go around looking for inconsistencies.

I'd say it'll take a Metal Gear fan around 7-8 hours to play through all of the missions at least once. Maybe 6 if they're the kind of people who're used to playing European Extreme on the older games.

After playing through all of the missions once, I had completed about 28%. The rest of that percentage is mostly just replaying missions, to complete it on Hard and get higher rankings.

It's a great game, just a bit expensive.

Very hyped for TPP, yes. Can't wait for that. Kojima said TPP's world is 200 times bigger than GZ.

There's no base building in GZ, no.

Also, Sutherland > Hayter. Trust me on this.

They add some story context, yes. Not very much, though, but still.

The missions range from "blow up the anti air cannons" to "find out and kill two specific soldiers before they exit the base". It's pretty fun stuff.

:)

Spaghetti

still straddling the fence until i see what the last gen version looks like. still not happy about the price, but i'm going to take a leap of faith on content now.

judging from a picture kojima posted on twitter it seems like they're almost ready to go with the comparison video and images. looked like he was checking a preview of an update to the mgsv website that includes the comparison under the 'products' tab.

I already planned to take a vacation day for this. THe level of excitement I had for this game has intensified x1000. I am clearing out my backlog, just in case I get over obsessed with it...
They can get rid of boxes, but only if you have the ability to disguise yourself as a sheep in Afghanistan
How about a sheep-box? That seems more fitting to the theme of MG. Especially considering the awesome boxes in PW..

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
ibl6y6TWXd7Tia.PNG

What is this even trying to prove? lol
That Kojima fans shouldn't go off their medication.

At least this brought me to that Kick starter, it looks good.

Riposte

I was predicting no cardboard boxes since they hired a new voice actor. Don't think I ever voiced it out loud though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's gonna be a great game, but I'm afraid they're taking it too seriously with this one. I always viewed the MGS games as being like cheesy comic books (in a good way) and this seems to be lacking that cheesiness, going instead for a more serious (and generic) tone.

I hope I'm wrong about this though (I haven't really been following the game much).

Nah, I think the MGS4 trailers had a fairly serious tone, but there ended up being plenty of cheese for all.

i know lots of people seem to be upset about david hayter gone and now no cardboard boxes, but is anyone else kind of excited? not just by the lack of, but almost total rejection, of obvious fan service?

mgs4 seemed like the game kojima made because everyone else wanted him to, not necessarily something from his own initiative, and it suffered for it. mgs5 seems like a game he actually gives a shit about again. it looks ambitious and fairly distinct in the AAA space seemingly taking cues from one of my favs of the last generation(far cry 2), it's overtly political hopefully without being wishy washy, there's that joan baez song and apparently a section in a hospital that looks more like something out of a supernatural horror movie than a political thriller, etc... game sounds tight.

Top Bottom