• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [Impressions from Nasu]

Alienous

I'm sure you'll be able to ride in the back of a truck/van in a cardboard box, in TPP.

I hope they don't lose too much of their humour. I'm starting to think I won't be able to wear a tiara in MGO3.

Atruvius

The biggest mindfuck I think that's possible is seeing another Big Boss in the distance doing something and then our Big Boss getting knocked out by a explosion. Goes black, credits, Ocelot call.

Game ends with Hayter Big Boss yelling to Miller and Kief BB: "No! That is not Big Boss!"

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I hate you and everything you stand for
lol
. But seriously your opinion does not belong anywhere near MGS. Hayter was the shit.
Yeah, he was the shit. Literally. ;-)

You guys let a lot of sentiment go into this. He was just never a good voice actor. Can't believe it took Kojima this long to get rid of him. It wasn't the only bad choice though. Eiding was equally as bad. Just thinking about them makes me tremble.

I'm going to play the sceptical card on this percentage completion thing - assuming that's 9% to complete the main story on one difficulty no? Same for side ops. I mean we know there's the main mission and only 5 side ops?

dan2026

This game is getting a really bad public perception problem.

Even I'm starting to feel like konami just wants to have their cake and eat it, by charging me twice.

I'm looking at this way. The game costs $40 for physical copy on PS4, and even if I only play it for a few hours, it's still worth it if the game is going to be really exciting to play and high quality. Everything I've seen so far leads me to believe this will be the case.

In the past I've spent $60 on games that I thought were terrible many times. I'd rather have a great time for a few hours than grind through something I don't like for 10 or more hours.

If this became some kind of business model in the future where the consumer pays $20 or $30 bucks for the prologue to a game and later full price the rest of the game I would not support it. For now though that's just more speculation, and I hope that's not the case.

Interesting. I'm not overly concerned at the same time. It's not like MGS1 was a lengthy game. That was about 4-5 hours, but had a great number of unlockables, too. I guess this just spins things off to the side. But to echo others, hopefully it isn't all boring side stuff.

"Finished GZ for the first time in about 90 minutes. Total game completion? 9%. I think that tells you all you need to know."

Pretty much what I expected. Also very happy to hear my choice in going for the PS4 version is justified. I was going to double dip and get it on X1 at some point, but I think I'll pass...

Anyway, not long left now. Excited!

Eusis

Impression from Egoraptor:

qfYigGv.png

And I'm out, not getting GZ, I'm just gonna wait for TPP. I can't deal with a 2 hours game and no substantial story and message at all.

It's not a stealth game anymore, there's little story, cutscenes reduced, codec probably not existant... sigh

tumblr_lk8j6qmj7K1qzu5wc.gif
After MGS4 I feel like it's for the best. If I want a Kojima story I want a fresh start, it was AMAZING playing Snatcher after MGS2, I want experiences like that again rather than doubling down on the MGS universe like a comic book universe.

... I hope they had a damn hard time finding cardboard boxes because removing them is just going too damn far.

Alienous

I'm looking at this way. The game costs $40 for physical copy on PS4, and even if I only play it for a few hours, it's still worth it if the game is going to be really exciting to play and high quality. Everything I've seen so far leads me to believe this will be the case.

In the past I've spent $60 on games that I thought were terrible many times. I'd rather have a great time for a few hours than grind through something I don't like for 10 or more hours.

If this became some kind of business model in the future where the consumer pays $20 or $30 bucks for the prologue to a game and later full price the rest of the game I would not support it. For now though that's just more speculation, and I hope that's not the case.

If this does well the idea will be replicated.

With Ubisoft offering the 5 hour Assassin's Creed IV standalone expansion for $9.99 it is a worrying prospect that Ground Zeroes could skew the price of this type of content towards the price of a full game. Premium demos with vapid extra content could become a thing.

If this does well the idea will be replicated.

With Ubisoft offering the 5 hour Assassin's Creed IV standalone expansion for $9.99 it is a worrying prospect that Ground Zeroes could skew the price of this type of content towards the price of a full game. Premium demos with vapid extra content could become a thing.

I agree this could become a problem. I just really hope it's not going to set a trend. Sure we have seen add-on content in the form of DLC, but I can't recall any game with a similar situation (released prior to the game). I don't think it's fair to call this a demo (as many have; not referring to you) at least not yet, but if it is very short with trivial extra content I would be very upset.

I think it goes without saying there will be a cardboard box in MGSV for sure, just not in the Prologue stuff (unless people complain enough that it becomes free dlc). They're saving that for Phantom Pain. Not too big of a deal to me.

Carl

Disappointed that the game is really that short. Guess I'm not bothering. Don't care about side missions and collectibles and shit

I agree this could become a problem. I just really hope it's not going to set a trend. Sure we have seen add-on content in the form of DLC, but I can't recall any game with a similar situation (released prior to the game). I don't think it's fair to call this a demo (as many have; not referring to you) at least not yet, but if it is very short with trivial extra content I would be very upset.
Gt prologue?

RELIGHT

Banned
Impression from Egoraptor:

qfYigGv.png

And I'm out, not getting GZ, I'm just gonna wait for TPP. I can't deal with a 2 hours game and no substantial story and message at all.

It's not a stealth game anymore, there's little story, cutscenes reduced, codec probably not existant... sigh

tumblr_lk8j6qmj7K1qzu5wc.gif

Sarcasm perhaps?

Dueck

Banned
Looks like I'm getting the PS4 version, though I want to play that Raiden mission.:/

The title of DARPA Chief always made me laugh (no idea why), and he'll probably show up in the Déjà Vu mission. I have to settle for Raiden... We've all got our problems ;)

I'm a little concerned this game is gonna be too much of derivation of the older games. Not as much focus on the story, not enough subtle humour etc.

No cardboard boxes is only the first sign...

Skyrim, fallout, oblivion?

GTA4, collecting pigeons anyone?

Will wait for a breakdown what the percentage actually entails but I wouldn't hold my breath , this in all probability will turn out to be nothing other then a quite short game with serious padding via collectibles.

Gt prologue?

Yeah that's pretty much a perfect example. That game didn't spawn a bunch of prologue games of a similar fashion. Although that may have been more appropriately priced at $20 US if I remember correctly. Also this is a new generation where development costs are very high. So we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

GTA4, collecting pigeons anyone?

Will wait for a breakdown what the percentage actually entails but I wouldn't hold my breath , this in all probability will turn out to be nothing other then a quite short game with serious padding via collectibles.
Maybe but with Kojimas stellar track record I'm doubtful. I remain optimistic but waiting for some real reviews before purchase

Eh, if you bought one despite the negativity surrounding it you probably have greater reasons for owning one than resolution parity. The exclusives are the main difference, the resolution isn't too big of a deal.

I did, I really wanted to play Dead Rising 3 and thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game. But since then I've not touched it and there's nothing really tickling my fancy.

I knew there was a disparity between the consoles and I would be almost willing to accept lower resolutions if the framerate was uncompromised. But so far, we're having issues on both fronts.

Looking down the road, in all honesty there isn't much that I would want exclusive-wise. The more I see of Titanfall, the more I'm turned off by it ('I've played it just to say).

So, my fault entirely - the One isn't doing it for me whatsoever.

Jesus, what possibly could they have you do to 100% the game that would take so long?
Assuming the dogtag system is the same a MGS2 it's not really that surprising because you must replay the game on each difficulty, acquiring every dog tag on each difficulty (because the names are different on different difficulties). Maybe it won't be exactly the same on this and it'll merely be one set of dogtags, but I imagine the entire 100% will be the dogtags, and S-ranking the missions (the main missions and the side missions)

Even though being pissed at something like no cardboard boxes(a staple since the original Metal Gear) seems stupid,
It leeds me to thinking Kojima is removing some of the quirkiness in the series.

Add that to Snake's horrible new voice and at that point you might as well be playing Splinter Cell or some crap.

RK9039

Mitch Dyer ‏@MitchyD 1m
GROUND ZEROES HAS NO CARDBOARD BOXES :OOOOOOOOO

WTF.

Screw this game. MGSV is set after Peace Walker, there should be flying Cardboard boxes by now. Kojima messed up big time and now I'm afraid I will think twice before buying another Metal Gear game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Even though being pissed at something like no cardboard boxes(a staple since the original Metal Gear) seems stupid,
It leeds me to thinking Kojima is removing some of the quirkiness in the series.

Add that to Snake's horrible new voice and at that point you might as well be playing Splinter Cell or some crap.
You wouldn't possibly want to see more of this...

tumblr_inline_myqhy6KdEt1ql5lmm.gif

would you?

I would gladly take more of that over a potential "no fun allowed" Metal Gear

Next thing you know is their won't be any conversations about Big Boss believing in Santa..

Absolutely. I'll take a hundred Finger Gun Ocelots over some super srs business any day of the week. Metal Gear without doofy gadgets and silly humour is no friend of mine. The cardboard box shall be sorely missed.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I would gladly take more of that over a potential "no fun allowed" Metal Gear

Next thing you know is their won't be any conversations about Big Boss believing in Santa..
One can only hope... I don't get why people cling to this quickness from MGS as I got out of hand a long time ago. It's only funny if you don't overuse it - and it has been mad overused ever since MGS2. Being a bit more serious again would certainly not harm the series.

Top Bottom