• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes PC |OT| It's been a long time...

Storm360

It's nailing the headshots on enemies. IIRC you miss the jeeps they'll kill themselves.

The rest of the others are basically "no alert and be quick" ones. But that one... oh man.

Yeah, if you miss the jeeps (aside from the last one) or the truck you'll fail, I just save ammo and take them out as fast as possible and make sure i'm not wasting time reloading when they're attacking

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Great port, this is!

This game really does look amazing at times. I swear all of the technically proficient folks left in Japan are either at Kojipro or on the FFXV team.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, if you miss the jeeps (aside from the last one) or the truck you'll fail, I just save ammo and take them out as fast as possible and make sure i'm not wasting time reloading when they're attacking

Can you actually survive on Hard not shooting anyone else and just hitting the jeeps? I can't remember actually being passive and needing to like headshot everyone so you don't die in that mission.

Storm360

Can you actually survive on Hard not shooting anyone else and just hitting the jeeps? I can't remember actually being passive and needing to like headshot everyone so you don't die in that mission.

You have to engage, but the headshots shouldn't be needed, the stun gun is basically one hit stun no matter where you hit, and you should be fine to focus on the jeep first, provided you manage to stun the driver quick enough

I'm surprised I remembered all the XOF patch locations, but I forgot a cassette tape on my first playthrough of the GZ mission on Normal. xD It sucked because I was thinking that there was actually a tape up in the Guard Tower in the Admin building but I was like, Nah that's a different mission. xD

But then I remembered when I finished it and I was like oh NOOOO wait no there's a tape there. Damn.

Spaghetti

Why did the Japanese version get bonus tapes that that weren't translated? Due to Kiefer's VA costs?

Hope something similar doesn't happen in Phantom Pain.

Finished the main mission in about 2 hours, but I was exploring and having fun. Still don't dig Kiefer as Big Boss, yet. Maybe he'll grow on me.
the extra tapes are a radio play from around the release of peace walker, so pre-kiefer.

if anything, the VA cost of david hayter and robin atkin downes is what prevented it getting translated and made in english in 2010 (or whenever it aired)

sueil

The mouse movement when using a scope/bionc's is really fucking bad. Like how did that get past testing bad. Every other case mouse work's fine but any kind of scope and it behaves like shit.

dex3108

Is it wrong not to be impressed with look of this game? I am really glad that game is optimized really well bar beside really good lighting there is not that much graphical impressive things. Geometry is basic and you can see that on complex objects, textures are ok (there are some good ones but most of them are just ok).

Vuze

Is it wrong not to be impressed with look of this game? I am really glad that game is optimized really well bar beside really good lighting there is not that much graphical impressive things. Geometry is basic and you can see that on complex objects, textures are ok (there are some good ones but most of them are just ok).
It's a cross-gen-game after all, so I don't think anybody expected to be blown away by it graphics-wise. Still, I think it does look very nice at times.

-Deimos

Got an A on my first real attempt of the main mission, it's pretty forgiving. I wasn't planning on doing 100% but I think I might now, the game's a lot more replayable than I thought it would be.

Hmmm, I don't know.
All I know is these tapes are not on the Western console release.

Edit: I asked on UKnighted's Twitch channel and I got this answer

Jr1DTv8.png
ucPajYo.png

thanks, sorry for the late answer

duckroll

Wow, this is a really great port. Runs great right off the bat, tons of options, feels really optimized. Solid effort from KojiPro, and a very promising sign of how the Fox Engine handles a bunch of different platforms. Mmm.

glaurung

Bought it yesterday as soon as I got home.

Downloaded, cranked everything to Extra High, 2560x1440 and the game play was smooth as silk. There was the odd hiccup during cutscenes, but nothing that would diminish the experience. Amazing.

I did have a problem with my Xbox One controller though. But quickly unplugging and re-plugging resolved any issues during game play.

I would say that this is a superb effort from Kojima. For the first time ever, I am playing a relevant MGS game on PC and it not only equals the best console version, but also surpasses it in some cases. Kojima just got me to double-dip with Phantom Pain - once on PS4 and once on PC.

Running this on a gaming rig I built two years ago. MSI 970 4G, 16GB of main RAM, regular spinning HDD.

Nzyme32

I find that the FOV is a bit too close.

Yeah I've bee struggling with it. Haha I find myself leaning on my chair in some vain attempt to see around snake more. I eventually get used to it, but if fog variability was introduced, I'd be changing it immediately

Tc91

Anyone bought from Nuuvem after they said keys were short? More are available at 6pm GMT right? I want to play :(

leng jai

The game definitely isn't the best looking thing around, especially during the day. At night it can look quite nice though.

Durante

Wow, this is a really great port. Runs great right off the bat, tons of options, feels really optimized. Solid effort from KojiPro, and a very promising sign of how the Fox Engine handles a bunch of different platforms. Mmm.
I agree with everything you said except the "tons of options" part.

Bundling things as fundamentally distinct as anti-aliasing, depth of field, screen space reflections and hdr bloom in a single setting is really annoying. It wouldn't be an issue if the game had an expert settings mode or a .ini, but as is, it's silly to e.g. not be able to tweak the DoF without affecting reflections or turning off AA.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Anyone bought from Nuuvem after they said keys were short? More are available at 6pm GMT right? I want to play :(

Still waiting for mine too, but I think the next batch is due 12pm BRT, which is 3pm GMT (so just under 2 hours from now). Who knows if they'll have enough to give to everyone or if there'll be another wait though :/

Embearded

I agree with everything you said except the "tons of options" part.

Bundling things as fundamentally distinct as anti-aliasing, depth of field, screen space reflections and hdr bloom in a single setting is really annoying. It wouldn't be an issue if the game had an expert settings mode or a .ini, but as is, it's silly to e.g. not be able to tweak the DoF without affecting reflections or turning off AA.

Should we try to give them feedback about that? I always thought that Koji Pro takes into account what customers think.

What's the button on the 360 pad for knocking on a wall or getting guards' attention?

There is no knocking in GZ. The mechanic hand will replace knocking in TPP. You can always throw magazines in order to draw their attention.

Came to post this:

Never tried that approach before and it felt great!!!! :p

meptrep

This might be a dumb question but are there not any audio options in the game? I've played for over ten hours and didn't see any at all.

Those "port reports" had no mention of this flaw either so I'm not sure if I'm making it up or not.

is there a way to lean against walls/objects and peek around corners that I'm missing?

I keep getting spotted at chico's cell

these guards are much more aware of their surroundings than the ones in past MGs

Top Bottom