• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes PC |OT| It's been a long time...

Why is Snake blurry from all angles? How do i fix it?
aVErOLk.jpg

But why would you want the main character that you control the whole time in focus, I mean, come on bro.

Depth of Fields for lyf3?

Yeah I really dislike the DoF on Snake. It wasn't like that in the PS3 version.

At least you can turn it off, but you lose the reflections, which is a big loss. I think you can get back AA by forcing it externally and or downsampling.

Jebral

Haven't played the PS3 version in a few months, but I remember Snake still getting DOFed if he was too close to the camera.

And.... Holy cow what a majorly huge improvement this is over the PS3 version. I have a 970, and I was running it maxed, 1440 downsampled to 1080... and I would sometimes lose a handful of frames. Nothing major, but enough to affect the super slick silky smoothness of 1080p.

OMG I want The Phantom Pain post-haste. More accurately, I want to see those beautiful jungle sections they demoed running in person!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah I really dislike the DoF on Snake. It wasn't like that in the PS3 version.

Yes it was, just not as high.

If there's anything I want (and Tora I know you're reading this so please relay it to Kojima/Pro) it's:

-Ability to turn on/off/mid-way all the post-processing effects (if not an option in the menu, a:)
-Config/.ini like most PC titles. AFAIK this isn't in the local files and the local files are all locked up for some reason between three huge files. This kinda flies in the face of "open PC gaming" in letting people mess with the game files and find out what they can tweak. Additionally to this:
-The ability to flip the trigger/bumpers for the people that have played the Playstation version of the series and thereby are used to L/R1 aiming/firing schemes. I mean this is a "no-brainer" that most PC ports should do now a days. Double-so that you can use a Micro USB connector to plug-in a Dual-Shock 3/4 that you own and only need a minor driver to get them to work on PC. There's NO reason this can't be done and people can't switch the 360/X-box button prompts to a Playstation button prompt. A few titles do this (Ass Creed: Unity despite it's faults have the button prompts and layout of the PS3/4 verison), a few allow mods to do it (Valk Chron, Biohazard, Dark Souls).

Those are my top three things I want to see patched in and included with Phantom Pain PC at launch.

I'm using mouse and keyboard, and it appears that the individual camera sensitivity settings only apply to a controller; the "mouse sensitivity" setting just changes all camera modes together, leaving you unable to fine tune each. This is a massive problem. The way things are, the neutral "TPS" camera is way too slow, and the FPS camera is too fast. Increasing the mouse sensitivity helps the TPS camera immensely, but makes the FPS camera go insane. Can others confirm this? If this is the case it needs to be changed immediately, playing like this is painful.

Also, it's super weird that the middle mouse button can be clicked to switch the camera shoulder bias, but can't be held to zoom like the dedicated key for those functions can. Middle mouse would be an ideal binding for that function. Oh, and the thumb buttons on my mouse don't work here either (I'm using a Logitech G500), that's really disappointing.

epmode

But why would you want the main character that you control the whole time in focus, I mean, come on bro.

Depth of Fields for lyf3?

Depth of field in most gameplay sections annoys the hell out of me. I mean, I get that it can be useful for aiming down sights or Alien: Isolation game blurs out the rest of the screen when you check the motion tracker. ..but dammit, don't tell me where I should be looking during general gameplay.

DoF in cutscenes is perfectly fine, though. They're directed so guiding a viewer to a certain section of the screen is expected.

Ketch

I have a not so much metal gear related question, but it is effecting me here. Why do games sometimes run better in borderless window fullscreen vs regular fullscreen, but then other times it's worse?

Like if I run in borderless fullscreen window in ground zeroes it runs a lot better but I get rediculous screen tearing even with v-sync on, but then if I switch to regular full screen there's no tearing but sometimes the framerate hitches up a bit.

epmode

I have a not so much metal gear related question, but it is effecting me here. Why do games sometimes run better in borderless window fullscreen vs regular fullscreen, but then other times it's worse?

Like if I run in borderless fullscreen window in ground zeroes it runs a lot better but I get rediculous screen tearing even with v-sync on, but then if I switch to regular full screen there's no tearing but sometimes the framerate hitches up a bit.

You shouldn't get any tearing with vsync enabled. Something's wrong.

You're right that fullscreen mode should result in better performance but I've found that many games don't offer triple buffering in the standard fullscreen mode so even minor performance shortfalls will severely affect your FPS (60 drops straight to 30 with plain old vsync). Borderless windowed is always triple buffered so that could explain the better framerates in some games.

sfried

-The ability to flip the trigger/bumpers for the people that have played the Playstation version of the series and thereby are used to L/R1 aiming/firing schemes. I mean this is a "no-brainer" that most PC ports should do now a days. Double-so that you can use a Micro USB connector to plug-in a Dual-Shock 3/4 that you own and only need a minor driver to get them to work on PC. There's NO reason this can't be done and people can't switch the 360/X-box button prompts to a Playstation button prompt. A few titles do this (Ass Creed: Unity despite it's faults have the button prompts and layout of the PS3/4 verison), a few allow mods to do it (Valk Chron, Biohazard, Dark Souls).

What about Wii U/Nintendo button prompts for us with Mayflash Adapters/Wii U controllers?

Huh. I sure as heck remember it! I wish I hadn't sold my copy so I could go double check. Perhaps it was only when you pressed R3 to peek?

Perhaps, I don't remember for sure. But I know it didn't have it most of the time. The PS4 and Xbox One versions have it.

deeptech

I'm using mouse and keyboard, and it appears that the individual camera sensitivity settings only apply to a controller; the "mouse sensitivity" setting just changes all camera modes together, leaving you unable to fine tune each. This is a massive problem. The way things are, the neutral "TPS" camera is way too slow, and the FPS camera is too fast. Increasing the mouse sensitivity helps the TPS camera immensely, but makes the FPS camera go insane. Can others confirm this? If this is the case it needs to be changed immediately, playing like this is painful.

Also, it's super weird that the middle mouse button can be clicked to switch the camera shoulder bias, but can't be held to zoom like the dedicated key for those functions can. Middle mouse would be an ideal binding for that function. Oh, and the thumb buttons on my mouse don't work here either (I'm using a Logitech G500), that's really disappointing.

Yes , i found it little bit annoying at first too. Got used to it mostly after some time , but still i would love to be able to tweak aiming sensitivity and normal camera sens. separately. Hopefully we can see something like it in a patch or in TPP, doesn't seem that hard to do. So far i have very little to complain about , rebinding controls helps alot , it feels almost natural with mouse and KB , i actually prefer it more than my x360 pad. Also i would love to see menus controlled with mouse , instead KB only.

I played 2hrs but restarted every time I was spotted plus was checking stuff out.

The main mission took me about 2 hours since where you're supposed to go isn't 100% clear and I wanted to explore the island a little more.

With doing some of the side ops and collecting all of chicos tapes, I put about 4 hours into the game so far.

I didn't play any MGS before and just blasted myself through the level like a maniac without a plan and the counter told me I needed 47 minutes. And I don't know how much of the cuts scenes were calculated into that. It felt like I had to watch more cutscenes and credits than actual playing.

I heard experienced players take like 15 minutes and speedrunners can do it in 6.

Wow that short huh? I was expecting at least 4 hours. I'll wait for it to be $10 or less.

Armaly

Wow that short huh? I was expecting at least 4 hours. I'll wait for it to be $10 or less.

You can get it for that price right now off of GMG if you use their coupon code.

Also, did anyone else notice that boots always sound wet in game even when it isn't raining?

pahamrick

Why did the Japanese version get bonus tapes that that weren't translated? Due to Kiefer's VA costs?

Hope something similar doesn't happen in Phantom Pain.

Finished the main mission in about 2 hours, but I was exploring and having fun. Still don't dig Kiefer as Big Boss, yet. Maybe he'll grow on me.

Actually, nothing in the camera settings menu applies to a mouse controlled camera at all. This really, really sucks. No individual sensitivity options, no inversion, and camera shake possibly enabled permanently (I'm not sure how to test this, can anyone help?). This is so disappointing, ugh.

Jin

Actually, nothing in the camera settings menu applies to a mouse controlled camera at all. This really, really sucks. No individual sensitivity options, no inversion, and camera shake possibly enabled permanently (I'm not sure how to test this, can anyone help?). This is so disappointing, ugh.

Yeah, I can't even invert the fucking Y axis for my mouse. Gotta play with a controller until they patch this.

Guys, the DoF on Snake might be my fault after all, I'm sorry.

I was crazy about taking screenshots of MGS2 on PS2 way back then, infamously mostly of naked Raiden. And I even used an Action Replay to break the game's rules and take shots like this(NSFW?, and if you search for "naked raiden" on google the top image results are screens taken by me.

In the subsequently released Substance version of the game, Konami adjusted the behavior of the camera in that section of the game while Raiden is naked. Normally when you pressed the shoulder button to go into first-person mode the camera quickly rotated in an arc inside the character's head, and it's by exploiting that camera move is how you could take screenshots of the character (be it Snake or Raiden) from various angles. In Substance when Raiden is naked if you press the shoulder button to go into first-person the view instantly switches to first-person, there is no camera sweep. It goes back to normal after the naked section.

I've said this before, but yeah I believe Konami changed it because of my screenshots that blew all over the net.

The DoF on Snake in MGSV might be their next weapon in deterring me, and guys and girls like me, from taking and sharing an obsene amount of screenshots of Snake's fine ass :(

Sorry for the full size image, but you need to see it in native res to get my point:
aVErOLk.jpg

I mean really? I want to see someone justify the above effect for artistic merit. The blur looks awful. It's like a cheap photoshop filter. Snake is lying perpendicular to the focal plane and the blur on all parts of his body is almost identical; that's not how Depth of Field works. Looks more like a censor than a creative effect to me.

I'll see myself out.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Problems:

- When re-assigning the E key to something else, E is still the kill button when you hold someone, make using ESDF for movement fucked up when you hold someone.

- If you rebind the SHIFT (sprint key) to something else, the key doesn't get re-assigned when aiming weapon, so you can't roll quickly when proning.

TheSeks

No it wasn't. The PS3 version had no Depth of Field on Snake's model during gameplay at all.

Yes there was. It was subtle, unless my mind is playing tricks on me. Now and then the Depth of Field would screw up if you grabbed someone in the guard tower. The problem was because the DoF was low it was barely noticeable half the time until it freaked out.

It wasn't on this level where Snake is constantly being blurred due to... I dunno, a Nvidia/driver issue?

SlickVic

Game is great (and looks great), but man am I messing up a lot with getting spotted. I blame it on my cold, but I probably just suck more at stealth games these days. It is kinda interesting how the game lets you get away with the "guns blazing when spotted" on normal difficulty, though I still feel guilty abusing that in a MGS game.

Also, I know this isn't a long game by any means but I just
rescued Chico and started searching for Paz
, and I hope there's a couple hours still left after that (took me about 90 minutes to get to that point).

Yes there was. It was subtle, unless my mind is playing tricks on me. Now and then the Depth of Field would screw up if you grabbed someone in the guard tower. The problem was because the DoF was low it was barely noticeable half the time until it freaked out.

It wasn't on this level where Snake is constantly being blurred due to... I dunno, a Nvidia/driver issue?

You keep saying there was, show me a screenshot of the PS3 version showing it?

I have dozens of close up screenshots of Snake here ,here, and here, and it doesn't show up in a single one of them (then again, selection bias). Either your memory is wrong or maybe it was patched in later? I definitely didn't see it.

13206588215_91ffb3bbba_b.jpg

13206511285_702767a598_b.jpg

13206765623_7530a24e47_b.jpg

That's not "subtle", that's zero DoF.

epmode

I have dozens of close up screenshots of Snake here ,here, and here, and it doesn't show up in a single one of them (then again, selection bias). Either your memory is wrong or maybe it was patched in at a later date? I definitely didn't see it.

<PICTURES>

Much better. Patch PC version pls.

The DoF is lovely otherwise! Looks great in cutscenes.

TheSeks

Booting up you're right. I'm thinking the background field blur than the model. Plus the opening FMV has some DoF (for some reason cutting to
Chico
in the opening has issues with the entire screen blurring before DoF kicks in randomly) that was throwing my memory off. (Plus that shitty "film grain" filter or whatever in the main menu) The actual gameplay is like "post processing" off and most of the stuff being set on low (or possibly medium) for the PS3 version.

Edit: Though I could swear the game has that DoF "blur" issue in guard towers that the PC version has people reporting.

TheSeks

Already did it 4 times before on console (PS3/PS4/Xbox One Japan/Xbox One English)

Still got the 360 version to go!

What's the 100% requirements again? All S-ranks, Cassettes and XOF?

Add me to the I-wish-you-could-disable-DoF-separately camp. Not liking how it looks in many shots, especially when it's blurring Snake and soldiers while leaving the background sharp.

metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-screen-filtering-depth-of-field-gameplay-001-on-640px.jpg

Looks stupid if you ask me, like an amateur holding the camera and not focusing on the subject correctly.
if intentional, maybe it's to help you focus on the background so you can notice guards coming into your vicinity.

TheSeks

All S ranks on normal and hard, all trials unlocked, all cassettes/XOF badges. various objectives throughout the missions which the achievement list shows

Cassettes are probably going to be my bain along with S-ranking that stupid sniper helicopter mission again. Double so if I'm using a controller (TORA PLZ PLZ TORA RELAY BUMPER/TRIGGER SWITCH). Thing gave me conniption fits on PS3.

Storm360

Cassettes are probably going to be my bain along with S-ranking that stupid sniper helicopter mission again. Double so if I'm using a controller (TORA PLZ PLZ TORA RELAY BUMPER/TRIGGER SWITCH). Thing gave me conniption fits on PS3.

Eh, hard for me to comment on the s-rank, I know the cassettes off by heart at this point, and don't remember having any trouble with the helicopter mission, just make sure you don't kill anyone or die too many times and the S rank is guaranteed

TheSeks

Eh, hard for me to comment on the s-rank, I know the cassettes off by heart at this point, and don't remember having any trouble with the helicopter mission, just make sure you don't kill anyone or die too many times and the S rank is guaranteed

It's nailing the headshots on enemies. IIRC you miss the jeeps they'll kill themselves.

The rest of the others are basically "no alert and be quick" ones. But that one... oh man.

Top Bottom