• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

Vasili2K38

Big Boss was never a beret kind of guy, though, unless you count his US military uniform (which I can't imagine he holds in high regard anymore

I was wondering why that image from Miller remembered me so much of Naked Snake-Big Boss, and then, from the reveal of Peace Walker..

metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-big-boss-artwork.jpg

Izick

So, remember when I brought up SKULL FACE. Things are getting even MORE interesting. Not sure how I missed this until now.

Tcrlvyu.png

OBFX6CV.jpg

Adventure Fantastic said:
And it may well be that last ingredient which has made it less popular; I don't know. There is certainly a great deal said about race in the story, from more than one point of view. And Skull-Face, or The Master, or The Scorpion as he's also known, doesn't fit the traditional Yellow Peril mold completely. For one thing, Skull-Face isn't actually an oriental, but beyond that I'm not going to spoil the fun.spoil the fun.

Costigan is a wounded veteran of the Great War, who has fallen into his addiction in an attempt to ease his pain. Noticed by the girl Zulieka, herself a slave of The Master as she refers to him, Costigan is given the chance to break free of opium and perform certain tasks for the Master, who at this point remains hidden behind a screen. Trying to stop Skull-Face is British agent at large John Gordon. Ultimately, Skull-Face's demands are more than Costigan is willing to commit to. He and Gordon join forces.

http://adventuresfantastic.blogspot.com/2010/11/long-looks-at-short-fiction-skull-face.html

iyCcVL6.png

EksaVuz.png

6cRTSUR.png

virW2vi.png

Trying to stop Skull-Face is British agent at large John Gordon. Ultimately, Skull-Face's demands are more than [Steve] Costigan is willing to commit to. He and [John] Gordon join forces.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Boss

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/SAS

Miller is either Skull Face, or Skull Face is some representation of Miller to Big Boss. He is the dark master that keeps pushing Snake down a deeper and deeper hole.

Curious what you're take is on this, Duckroll because I thought it was another interesting point.

zychi

Banned
I was thinking Paz was chained up in Mother Base but your description makes a lot more sense. And you're right it looks like the operation is inside the helicopter.
Spoiler for Peace Walker and Paz
None of this Paz stuff makes any sense if you finished PW all the way.

Izick

For a second I forgot Big Boss's name was John. I thought it was, but when it was confirmed to be my mind was blown. Kojima is truly a master.

Really sorry if this has been covered already...

Can anybody read what the red writing on the wall says here? It appears to be in arabic. The music stops here and the lyrics that coincide with this scene say "Words that kill." Are they anything significant? This happens at 5:33.

Untitled-3_zpsffdb716c.png

Vasili2K38

Holy shit Izick, fairly interesting theory. To me Skull Face with its weird appearance is one of the biggest mysteries from MGSV, with all that stuff of XOF, the mirror stuff and "From FOX, two phantoms were born".

Izick

Holy shit Izick, fairly interesting your theory. To me Skull Face with its weird appearance is one of the biggest mysteries from MGSV, with all that stuff of XOF, the mirror stuff and "From FOX, two phantoms were born".

Yeah, there's something going on here. To me, Skull Face is either some representation of Kaz to Snake, or possibly a metaphor for what he's convincing him to do. Maybe he actually is Kaz (bomb explosion went wrong?)? Not sure how that would happen, but anything is possible in MGS I suppose.

"From FOX, two phantoms were born."

Possibly two Big Boss's fighting for control of Big Boss. (good and evil sides in him)

Possibly Kaz and Big Boss fighting for the title of Big Boss.

I think it may be the former, but it really could be either or something else even.

He can't. I was just saying and I didn't understand the whole Evil Big Boss thing. He does look like Campbell in that attire.

Izick, that's a deep hole all right. A rabbit hole. That's not even a picture of Miller. That's Liquid.

I know but what's the difference? I was just trying to get a picture that conveyed in big letters that one of his nicknames was Master Miller.

Fehyd

Banned
The image song is called "Sins of the Father", and with Eli looking suspiciously like Liquid, what are the chances that this is going to be the official introduction of the Les Enfants Terrible?

NYR94

Good post Matrix.

But what about Chico's headphone jack being plugged into his body? And Paz has this sort of bomb in her womb (lol). Connections? Walking bombs or eavesdroppers?

Good points. I think there's something sinister going on with the Walkman that Skull Face gives Chico because you can see the same model on the table in front of Miller during the water bucket scenes in the trailer.

Spoiler for Peace Walker and Paz
None of this Paz stuff makes any sense if you finished PW all the way.

It makes sense in the context of the GZ trailer. I didn't have a good reason for her to be chained up in mother base though, was just a stupid assumption based on the look of the room she was in.
Obviously the buildings in Camp Delta make more sense, once Snake gets to Chico's cage he'll have to go and find Paz somewhere else on the map.

Does anyone know who the voice of Kaz Miller is in the trailer? It sounds like someone familiar.

Robin Atkin Downes, probably.

RangerBAD

I noticed that Eli has a red beret tucked into a buckle on his shoulder (you can see it better when he sits forward):

1Htzs6i.jpg

The British Paratroopers part of the SAS called the Red Devils wear this beret:

_366721_beret150.jpg

It makes sense in the context of the GZ trailer. I didn't have a good reason for her to be chained up in mother base though, was just a stupid assumption based on the look of the room she was in.
Obviously the buildings in Camp Delta make more sense, once Snake gets to Chico's cage he'll have to go and find Paz somewhere else on the map.

The Paz stuff hurts my soul.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Miller is either Skull Face, or Skull Face is some representation of Miller to Big Boss. He is the dark master that keeps pushing Snake down a deeper and deeper hole.

I don't think so. It seems they'll both be present during the attack on MSF anyway so I don't think it can be the same person.

He's wearing a beret, therefore he's Cambpell.

He's wearing a suit, therefore he's Zadoornob.

ahaa I think you should go back to the Hayter ruse theory. Or the CG thing, is that guy still tweeting?

Goon Boon

Banned
Good points. I think there's something sinister going on with the Walkman that Skull Face gives Chico because you can see the same model on the table in front of Miller during the water bucket scenes in the trailer.

Don't play a song/code every X amount of time, bomb blows up?

The_Monk

The reason why I haven't posted in this thread earlier was because I can't explain how intense the music is to me to an emotional level and how hyped I am for this game in a next-gen console.

But the love this is getting from all the fellow GAFfers is just amazing, you are all amazing.

Yeah, there's something going on here. To me, Skull Face is either some representation of Kaz to Snake, or possibly a metaphor for what he's convincing him to do. Maybe he actually is Kaz (bomb explosion went wrong?)? Not sure how that would happen, but anything is possible in MGS I suppose.

"From FOX, two phantoms were born."

Possibly two Big Boss's fighting for control of Big Boss. (good and evil sides in him)

Possibly Kaz and Big Boss fighting for the title of Big Boss.

I think it may be the former, but it really could be either or something else even.

How are they supossed to be in two places at the same time?. Skull Face can't be attacking Mother Base if he was Kaz...

Dunk#7

I REALLY hope they announce an online MGO portion.

Have there been any hints of this at all? I might die without another MGO

I NEED IT IN MY VEINS

I WILL PAY DOUBLE IF IT IS INCLUDED

Maddocks

also if you look closely at eli in the trailer he has what looks like to be a snake on his left leg. More hints at who he really is, but seems more and more like liquid.

I REALLY hope they announce an online MGO portion.

Have there been any hints of this at all? I might die without another MGO

I NEED IT IN MY VEINS

I WILL PAY DOUBLE IF IT IS INCLUDED

They did acknowledge fans cries for MGO in the latest KP Alert, but they said they don't have anything to announce as of yet. I bet there's going to be an MGO to go with V.

Veal

Well, would either of you at least be interested in what I found?

I sourced it a few pages back (mostly Wiki pages and Book review articles), but here's the quick and dirty.

-Skull Face is a series of short stories written by author Robert. E. Howard

-Skull Face stars Steve Costigan

-This is not the same recurring character "Sailor" Steve Costigan from Howard's other, more popular series

-Sailor Steve is a lot more light and fun than the Steve Coistgan character found in Skull Face, who is a lot
darker and more torn as a character; hooked on drugs, does a lot of shady things

-Sailor Steve is a master at fighting (pugilist)

-Skull Face deals with many racial issues

-Sailor Steve Costigan's first appearance was in Howard's The Pit of the Serpent

-Howard's mother fell into a deep coma that she was not expected to return from

Yeah this is pretty amazing. Highly probable that they were influenced by this. What's stuck in BB's head?

polishcowboyst

Neo Member
At around 2:20 the guy who is being tortured by Ocelot is Emmerich. That is kind of weird because Kaz is in there too with his Diamond Dogs beret.

You can tell its Emmerich because of the outfit and because he is in a wheel chair.

Any thoughts?

foxtrot3d

Banned
for those who have completed peace walker 100%(all extra ops and main missions )

so it's safe to assume that kaz is going against big boss later on in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMa5TgX624Q

No, that phone call takes place before the ending of the game. Miller knew about Paz being an agent of Zero/Cipher and worked with him to advance MSF. At the end of the game when Paz under Ciphers orders plans to nuke the US and blame MSF Kaz no longer supports Cipher. At the real end of the game if you remember Kaz comes clean to Big Boss about his involvement with Cipher but states that it all worked out in the end because without his "help" MSF wouldnt have grown so large. After that Snake gives his speech and officially declares Mother Base Outer Heaven.

DO NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN PEACEWALKER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6pVXR9ZoOQ

Yeah this is pretty amazing. Highly probable that they were influenced by this. What's stuck in BB's head?

Yeah, a lot of posters were giving Izick a lot of flack for reaching, but Kojima's named a character after an obscure book before. Remember Black Color from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake? His name was mistranslated and was named after The Blackcollar, a Timothy Zahn novel from 1983.

SolidSnake305

Neo Member
Am I the only one trying to decipher that poster. Kojima said that there is hidden information seems like we make get some news 6/14 but I just maybe speculating. Here is whats on the poster

ACC: 320451
ACQ TM: OD:23:46:21V
TEST:TWTXKE1.3
EVENT 00342
MACH 5.00
RUN 223
RERUN 0
SECTOR:6.14
D8:35:21:778

Top Bottom