• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So guys, any more ideas what the hell those orange lines could be?

large

2013-06-1223_50_11-_mxdbq4.png

OK, stick with me here, guys, this is my best shot at putting what we know so far into chronological order:

Ground Zeroes
- Kaz hears reports of Paz being picked up in the Caribbean Sea and held by Cipher at Camp Omega. Chico has been missing for a week, they presume he's suffered the same fate. This is an elaborate ruse by Cipher (and his agent Skullface) to lure Big Boss out of Mother Base and leave it unprotected.

- Big Boss, the dope, falls for it, and moseys on out for a doomed one-man sneaking mission, in the vein of the Tanker chapter and the Virtuous Mission. As he climbs the cliffs south of Camp Omega, Skullface's men fly out north over his head (in the direction of Mother Base, in other words)

- Skullface's men have removed the XOF logos from their uniforms and helicopter. They're posing as a UN inspection team that Kaz mentions is coming to inspect Mother Base

- Big Boss finds Chico in his cage - this is where the 'strangling' scene from the newest trailer takes place. Looking at it closely, I don't really know if it's strangling, though. Big Boss has his hands crossed and he's holding Chico up by the shoulders, which is a weird way to strangle someone unless you have them pressed against a wall, y'know? He might just be trying to shake Chico awake

- Whatever it is, Chico lives at least a little while longer. He comes with Big Boss as they look for Paz, who they find chained up (this scene is also in the new trailer) at about 1:44

I was thinking Paz was chained up in Mother Base but your description makes a lot more sense. And you're right it looks like the operation is inside the helicopter.

dan2026

Big Boss was initially introduced as Solid Snake's commander right?
The head of Foxhound.

Before he found out he was his father.

I want to know how he basically goes from mercenary and leader of his own private army to Snake's boss.

Sn4ke_911

Good post Matrix.

But what about Chico's headphone jack being plugged into his body? And Paz has this sort of bomb in her womb (lol). Connections? Walking bombs or eavesdroppers?

Skull Face kidnapped Chico and Paz, tortured them and operated Paz a bomb in her stomach and Chico a radio.

He asks Chico to do him a favor and the kid gives Skull Face some important information. As reward he gets the headphones so he can listen to music.

I don't know...

ezekial45

Banned
So guys, any more ideas what the hell those orange lines could be?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/35479iEA9498B088D4C580/image-size/large?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/2013-06-1223_50_11-_mxdbq4.png[/QUOTE]

They remind me of those retro photo reel machines. Orange lines would pop up when scroll through different photos.

Izick

Also don't forget that robot arm Big Boss is sporting is likely Zadornov's robotic arm from Peace Walker. In the second trailer at the post credits scene we see him light a cigar, presumably with the robotic arm. Zadornov's robotic arm had a lighter.

But I'll just say thing again:

The one thing that is puzzling me the most is the role of Kaz/Master Miller. Before Peace Walker Miller was an unimportant character, you only really "met" him in MG2 and in MGS1 he just turned out to be Liquid in disguise, as Liquid presumably killed him.

Now all of a sudden we find out he has a MAJOR role in the creation of Outer Heaven and has a close relationship with Big Boss. So the question is what the fuck happens to him especially after the events of MG1 and MG2 when BB is gone? Who really killed him and why? And why is he wearing a trench coat like he's Big Boss or something?

Snake/Big Boss needs to start sporting that trench coat now he's no longer Naked Snake he is the legend Big Boss, creator of Outer Heaven, and The Boss's successor. So there better be a fucking tench coat outfit for Snake too.

All will be answered in Metal Gear: Operation Intrude N312.

Skull Face kidnapped Chico and Paz, tortured them and operated Paz a bomb in her stomach and Chico a radio.

He asks Chico to do him a favor and the kid gives Skull Face some important information. As reward he gets the headphones so he can listen to music.

I don't know...

Something like that. I have no idea about the headphones, but I'm wondering if the bomb in Paz's stomach might be the 'Trojan Horse' we hear Skull Face talking about in the GZ trailer. I thought it was just what they were referring to themselves as, attacking Mother Base in disguise as the UN Inspection Team, but it could just as easily be Paz's bomb. Cipher booby traps Paz and then leaks the information about where she's being held, knowing that BB will come and rescue her and possibly get blown up when he finds her.

Scarecrow

1. Any idea of a release date?

2. I thought Paz
turned out to be bad by the end of MGS: PW. She was revealed to be a double agent and you fought her when she hijacked Metal Gear ZEKE. How is she alive/an ally again?

Alienous

Something like that. I have no idea about the headphones, but I'm wondering if the bomb in Paz's stomach might be the 'Trojan Horse' we hear Skull Face talking about in the GZ trailer. I thought it was just what they were referring to themselves as, attacking Mother Base in disguise as the UN Inspection Team, but it could just as easily be Paz's bomb. Cipher booby traps Paz and then leaks the information about where she's being held, knowing that BB will come and rescue her and possibly get blown up when he finds her.

And, if it is a bomb, it explodes injuring Kaz but severely injuring Big Boss, blowing off his arm and impaling Big Boss' skull with debris. It would explain a lengthy coma. Also, thematically, Skull Face would have used peace to turn Big Boss into a demon.

2. I thought Paz
turned out to be bad by the end of MGS: PW. She was revealed to be a double agent and you fought her when she hijacked Metal Gear ZEKE. How is she alive/an ally again?

No idea about the release date. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still a long way away - 2014 at the very earliest

As for Paz, in the first GZ trailer we learn that Paz was found floating in the Caribbean Sea and is being held by Cipher at Camp Omega. As for whether she's an ally, that's yet to be determined. Big Boss actually suggests going into the base simply to kill her before she can spill any secrets, but Kaz says "We have other plans for her", which sounds even more ominous.

And, if it is a bomb, it explodes injuring Kaz but severely injuring Big Boss, blowing off his arm and impaling Big Boss' skull with debris. It would explain a lengthy coma. Also, thematically, Skull Face would have used peace to turn Big Boss into a demon.

I like that idea, I just can't quite place it in the timeline. I wonder if Big Boss brings Chico and Paz with him back to Mother Base and then tells them to stay on the chopper during all the fighting, then they pull the bomb out and it explodes as they're flying away. It'd have to be a pretty big chopper, though, because there are multiple shots where it looks like Kaz and BB are alone in the cargo bay.

Sn4ke_911

Daaaaaaaamn matrix i didn't know Paz is now Bayonetta :p

Wasn't that, like, DNA sequencing or something of the sort? Game-wise, it could be a checkpoint notification.

I don't think so, a checkpoint notification wouldn't be so damn big and distracting.

Izick

Yeah, Miller is found dead in his home by DIA agents after some suspicion arises around him in MGS1. It's almost certainly Liquid, or someone Liquid hired who killed him, but it's never clearly said.

Toparaman

Banned
One thing I don't like about the cutscenes in the game is the frequent shaky-cam. It makes sense in some places, but doing it all the time is annoying.

foxtrot3d

Banned

2. I thought Paz

In the first trailer Kaz mentions to Snake that Paz is being held captive after surviving the explosion in PW. Snake immediately asks whether they should go in and kill her, but then Miller suggests that they rescue her as she would be likely to turn on Cipher after her failure. This operation I believe is Ground Zeroes.

Big Boss goes in to rescue Paz and Chico, which is all a setup by Skullface to attack Mother Base. After rescuing Paz and Chico and begin the chopper ride back home they realize that Paz has a bomb in her and have to remove it ASAP before they all die.

dan2026 said:
The head of Foxhound.

I want to know how he basically goes from mercenary and leader of his own private army to Snake's boss.

Well we know Big Boss basically founded Foxhound during Portable Ops and left sometime afterwards and founded MSF with Miller. So at some point he will go back to leading Foxhound while at the same time secretly maintaining his role as the leader of Outer Heaven. The whole big twist in MG1 was that Snake's Commander was actually the secret leader of Outer Heaven.

One thing I don't like about the cutscenes in the game is the frequent shaky-cam. It makes sense in some places, but doing it all the time is annoying.

It could get tedious if you have motion sickness, but it makes sense stilistically with all the (beautiful) lightning artifacts they have going on.

Solo

I hope MGSV opens with the ending of MGS4.....and then Big Boss wakes up. All of 4 was just a horrendous dream and
non
game.

SMZC

The head of Foxhound.

Yeah, that whole thing probably won't make any sense until Kojima retcons it however he feels like it. The thing is, in the MSX games Big Boss wasn't explicitly waging a war against America/The Patriots until Solid Snake infiltrated Outer Heaven. No one knew who the leader of Outer Heaven was, except maybe Zero and the other Patriots. The general public didn't know. It was only when Snake was sent to Outer Heaven when it was revealed that Big Boss was carrying out that rebellion of his (his motives for doing so have changed over the course of the series, too). However, in the MGSV trailers, he's already carrying out his war against the Patriots, and it is suggested that the general public knows about this ("the whole world wants you dead").

To make matters worse, in the MSX games the one who sends Solid Snake to Outer Heaven is Big Boss himself, with the expectation that Snake's presumed failure (what with him being a rookie at the time and all) would help in hiding the fact that Big Boss was the true leader of the Outer Heaven uprising. This makes absolutely zero fucking sense now, considering what the plot has become today. Good luck on trying to give us a convincing retcon on that one, Kojima.

Robot Pants

So....wouldn't Master Miller be like 100 years old in MGS1?
Surely Snake has seen him, why isn't he surprised that he's still alive when he talks to him on codec?

edit: oh looks like it's already being discussed above. That's one of the things that's always bothered me since reintroducing Miller into the series.

jackdoe

If this game doesn't end with a coda of young Solid Snake happening upon Big Boss, I will be disappointed. I expected it to happen in MGS3, MGS Portable Ops, and MGS Peace Walker and was let down every time.

SMZC

If this game doesn't end with a coda of young Solid Snake happening upon Big Boss, I will be disappointed. I expected it to happen in MGS3, MGS Portable Ops, and MGS Peace Walker and was let down every time.

I'd like to see that too, but I don't think it's happening. :\

Frankly though, I'm okay with it if they show us a 12 year old Solid Snake.

Good luck on trying to give us a convincing retcon on that one, Kojima.

I really don't think the MSX games have been considered canonical for a long time now. As in, not since 1998. Consider that the idea of Solid Snake being a clone of Big Boss was only introduced in Metal Gear Solid. As far as I can remember, the only mention of the MSX games in the entire MGS series is that Codec convo in MGS1 where Snake says "Some people just need killing". In MGS4 Snake talks a little bit about Big Boss having taught him CQC, but that's as far as it goes. MGS1 was always more of a 3D reimagining of the MSX games rather than an actual sequel, anyway, right down to such specific things like having to backtrack through half the game to get a weapon to fight a boss, and fighting a team of invisible guys in an elevator.

It seems pretty clear the Kojima's plan for MGSV is eventually going to lead to a complete do over on the conflict between Big Boss and Solid Snake. I imagine it'll be similar in detail to the original MSX games, but no way will it be a straight up remake.

Izick

Kojima has kept stressing that this is a new "Metal Gear" game. Which is actually quite intriguing in that wording alone. Not sure if that's just a slip up, or if there's more to that simple statement than we know. Not a new Metal Gear Solid, but a new "Metal Gear" game.

“What we’re trying to accomplish is to recreate the Metal Gear series, it’s a new type of Metal Gear game and we want to have this reflected in the voice actor as well.”

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/kojima-explains-metal-gear-solid-5s-mogren-fakeout-hayters/

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/hideo-kojima-talks-metal-gear-solid-v

Right, but the Miller he is imitating has to be way older than 59.
Eh. maybe not. The timeline always seemed messed up when it came to Miller.
Miller at the time of Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
Miller_%28MG2%29.gif
Miller.gif

That about 6 years before MGS1.
Liquid is just playing off that, its not like Snake had actually seen him in that time.

mr_nothin

Banned
I have to say that this is my game of the show. Every single time I watch this trailer it stirs up so many emotions. No other trailer did that for me this E3. I havent felt so attached to a trailer/game reveal in a while. The lighting, the animation, being open world, the taboos...just everything about it was mature and an evolution (almost revolution) of the series in general. It was the perfect 1st game to show to kickstart E3

Carbonox

Kojima has kept stressing that this is a new "Metal Gear" game. Which is actually quite intriguing in that wording alone. Not sure if that's just a slip up, or if there's more to that simple statement than we know. Not a new Metal Gear Solid, but a new "Metal Gear" game.

“What we’re trying to accomplish is to recreate the Metal Gear series, it’s a new type of Metal Gear game and we want to have this reflected in the voice actor as well.”

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/kojima-explains-metal-gear-solid-5s-mogren-fakeout-hayters/

If MGS5 is the sign of things to come and the direction we're going to see the series head in...COUNT ME THE FUCK IN

With this and Rising in tandem (hopefully we definitely see Rising sequels), I'm a happy camper.

Vasili2K38

I can't believe I'm the only one that thinks this game is an entire reboot of the saga.. I'll quote myself again

Ok, I'll throw my theory.. Kojima after MGS4 was done with Metal Gear, and after the PS3 downgrade and the problems carried in MGS4 he focused in having its own engine and making his next game, and open world game with a story centered in the famous taboos etc.. the famous Project Ogre. But then in some point, I don't know if it was because of the Rising fiasco and the outsourcing of this game to Platinum he decides that he can't leave to anyone his child saga, and then he transforms Project Ogre in Metal Gear Solid V, keeping a lot of new gameplay elements that he wanted to do (new motion capture techniques, open world, day/night cycles, the taboo themes..) and introducing the story after Peace Walker events. I would even say that ponytail-horned Snake was originally a new character of a new game.

And then, even after everything I've said, I would even go to the point that this game will be a reboot of the entire saga and its mythos, and then after MGSV we'll have more Metal Gears in this "new canon".

Izick

All signs point to him making a Metal Gear remake, but I'm not sure what that means.

Kojima is a master at misdirection. His works are littered with references and callbacks. He loves to get the fans' brains working stuff out, and he knew that this would be the first real time where people would be able to collaborate together on this stuff. Sure, MGS4 came out in 08', but social media really hadn't blossomed like it has recently.

He gave a vague hint of the game, but never told us directly. There's clues throughout all the trailers, and we're trying to piece together everything slowly. Kojima knows this isn't 2001. If he has some big twist like Raiden, then people will know of it day of, if not before the release of the game. He's trying to do something a lot more subtle to play and mess with the 24/7, always-talking, always thinking social media minds out there.

There's just something to this that we're all not seeing I think. At least not yet.

I can't believe I'm the only one that thinks this game is an entire reboot of the saga.. I'll quote myself again

You're not alone, but I'm not sure if I completely agree. I think this could be a reboot for the Metal Gear cannon, but not necessarily MGS.

On the other hand, I could see Kojima do something crazy like kill off Big Boss and replace Master Miller with him. Changing the MGS history as we know it. That kind of works with the idea of misdirection above your quote.

RetroMG

So Kojima remakes Metal Gear, either in this game or the next few years. After that, why not? Do Metal Gear 2 while you're at it.

After a few years, because Konami won't let go of that sweet Metal Gear money, have Kojima remake MGS1, under the guise of tying up a few loopholes in the plot.

And thus, the Metal Gear series becomes Ouroboros, the snake eating it's own tail, endlessly being remade over and over until Kojima collapses into a dusty husk.

Yeah, while I think they're happy enough to list them in timelines and as canon for now, it's going to take a hell of a leap to go from MGSV to MG and not have it be like "WAIT, I'LL JOIN YOU NOW. I SURRENDER!" It all just seems like Kojima is working towards pretending Big Boss was never a bad guy and that will mean a full retconning of the MSX games to the point they no longer exist.

Vasili2K38

On the other hand, I could see Kojima do something crazy like kill off Big Boss and replace Master Miller with him. Changing the MGS history as we know it. That kind of works with the idea of misdirection above your quote.

I wouldn't say killing Naked Snake ;), but come on..

I can't believe myself when I saw that part. W-T-F.. Miller-evil "Big Boss"

Falcs

Banned
The one thing that is puzzling me the most is the role of Kaz/Master Miller....
...And why is he wearing a trench coat like he's Big Boss or something?

Snake/Big Boss needs to start sporting that trench coat now he's no longer Naked Snake he is the legend Big Boss, creator of Outer Heaven, and The Boss's successor. So there better be a fucking tench coat outfit for Snake too.

I'll spoiler this just in case I end up being right, but my guess is that at some point, possibly at the end of MGSV,
Big Boss takes the trench coat from Kaz similarly to how he takes the bandana of the Boss in MGS3 and starts to wear it.

RangerBAD

I really don't think the MSX games have been considered canonical for a long time now. As in, not since 1998. Consider that the idea of Solid Snake being a clone of Big Boss was only introduced in Metal Gear Solid. As far as I can remember, the only mention of the MSX games in the entire MGS series is that Codec convo in MGS1 where Snake says "Some people just need killing". In MGS4 Snake talks a little bit about Big Boss having taught him CQC, but that's as far as it goes. MGS1 was always more of a 3D reimagining of the MSX games rather than an actual sequel, anyway, right down to such specific things like having to backtrack through half the game to get a weapon to fight a boss, and fighting a team of invisible guys in an elevator.

It seems pretty clear the Kojima's plan for MGSV is eventually going to lead to a complete do over on the conflict between Big Boss and Solid Snake. I imagine it'll be similar in detail to the original MSX games, but no way will it be a straight up remake.

This is pretty much why the two MG games have to be remade to fit Kojima's vision for it (as it stands today).

Why is everyone calling Miller the Evil Big Boss? I could see him becoming Campbell though. lol

Seriously, im not reading into it at all. I figure its just Kojima having a hard on for JJ Abrams and trying to simulate similar effects.

I think so, too. I've seen all sorts of crazy theories about those things, but I honestly just think it's stylised lens flare. Maybe it'll end up being something, but right now it's all just baseless speculation.

Vasili2K38

Why is everyone calling Miller the Evil Big Boss? I could see him becoming Campbell though. lol

Because the image I've posted from the trailer reflects exactly how I would imagine Naked Snake becoming the "Big Boss" that would made its way to the events of MG1. The trench coat, the beret, I don't know..

Because the image I've posted from the trailer reflects exactly how I would imagine Naked Snake becoming the "Big Boss" that would made its way to the events of MG1. The trench coat, the beret, I don't know..

Big Boss was never a beret kind of guy, though, unless you count his US military uniform (which I can't imagine he holds in high regard anymore).

I think Kaz is just wearing the coat to hide his new deformities. He's obviously become more jaded and militaristic after his time as a prisoner, so he won't be the ol' fun-loving Kaz.

Top Bottom