• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

g6xRZMz.jpg

Wow, look at Kojima, all the gun-training over the years really paid off. What happened to their CQC/military advisor anyway?

And: NOOOOO leave the boobies alone.

Guys and gals, you're thinking too literally. Skull Face can be Kaz in Snake's mind without actually being a separate, physical entity called Skull Face. We still have no idea what is and isn't real.

Not like there were a set amount of rules before, but when Kojima had Snake in a coma, all the rules went out the window. We've already seen certain enemies that look like strange, perverted versions of past adversaries and allies in certain trailers. Who's to say Skull Face isn't something Snake has cooked up in his mind? Maybe defeating him (Kaz) will somehow give Snake some kind of inner peace for his past.

Like I said, nothing in stone obviously, but still stuff I thought I'd share.

I'm not saying it literally has to be Kaz, but all those connections I listed to the Howard novels are a little too eerily close, right down to the actual names and pseudonyms of characters.

If you listen to the dialogue, Kaz states he wants to reclaim his past. Guess who's introduced as the Ghost without a Past?

Fehyd

Banned
They just need to release "Sins of the Father" already. I've been listening to the trailer almost nonstop now for that song.

HELLS YEAH!

No idea how it all fits together though... Unless Skullface is Kaz's alter ego before his loss of limbs? I don't think he's in Snake's head, as all the nightmare stuff appears after his coma. Also the nightmare characters are presented as "Those Who Don't Exist" in this E3 trailer, or words to that effect.

Jb

Watching the trailer again, at the very end we see BB carrying Kaz missing a leg and an arm in what looks like Mother Base. Presumably this is after he's rescued him from Afghanistan, so does that mean they've rebuilt it after the attack, or that they have created a new somewhere other than Costa Rica?

Haven't seen this come up yet (maybe I missed it) but my new tin-foil hat theory regarding the shrapnel in his head is now that's it's self-inflicted somehow. Assuming that gas-mask ginger is Mantis (money says he is), and those that "Don't Exist" are all his doing, Snake has to realize eventually that the kid has mind-fuck powers. And since he can't plug his controller into the other port, resorts to much more drastic measures to break the kid's hold over him. What do you think?

Izick

HELLS YEAH!

No idea how it all fits together though... Unless Skullface is Kaz's alter ego before his loss of limbs? I don't think he's in Snake's head, as all the nightmare stuff appears after his coma. Also the nightmare characters are presented as "Those Who Don't Exist" in this E3 trailer, or words to that effect.

Yeah, if I had to guess I think we're going to play a good part in reality, but the majority of the game will be within Snake's mind. I don't know how clear the difference will be though.

I mean once Kojima put Snake in a coma, he basically threw the whole rulebook out.

If I had to guess though, judging by that Skull Face stuff I found, I'm guessing Snake is trying to fight against the monster that Kaz has made him become, and he's trying to find maybe the good that is left in him (John) to keep his humanity.

Fehyd

Banned
Watching the trailer again, at the very end we see BB carrying Kaz missing a leg and an arm in what looks like Mother Base. Presumably this is after he's rescued him from Afghanistan, so does that mean they've rebuilt it after the attack, or that they have created a new somewhere other than Costa Rica?

There any offshore oil fields near Afghanistan? It looks from the trailer that he and Kaz get extracted via a chopper, so we're not talking a really long distance flight I don't think.

Maybe Diamond Dogs have multiple hub bases around the world?

solarus

I'm still worried about the current gen games restraining the possible scope and gameplay possibilities of the title, there's no question that they impose some sort of limitations on what can be done with the game but I hope I'm wrong.

I've finished MGS4. It had long as fuck cutscenes but I don't really mind. What I do mind is that Peace Walker's story and background are told as mission briefing files and it's fucking tedious to go through. Also, the hand-drawn cutscenes are boring.

Loved PW's art style. What would you have preferred? It was fresh and they did it very well. Remember, it was originally on PSP so that probably had a lot to do with the decision.

No face markers? I thought we were going full on performance capture this time?

She has a sack over her head in that torture scene, no point in mocapping her face.

This is 9 years after it was destroyed, I don't think they'll be in the Americas for this one.
Wakes from coma in Cyprus so could be in the southern Mediterranean. Maybe the Arabian sea is more likely.

Don't forget that in both MGS2 and 4's trailers, we were shown scenes that took place in different areas than the final game. In MGS2's initial trailer, we see the ninja and harrier fight on the tanker. In MGS4's, we seen Snake put the gun to his mouth in the middle east. Kojima never shows more than what he wants to reveal.

Buntabox

The "Theatrical Trailer" for MGS4 showed a lot of Act 3/Eastern Europe. Some of the previous trailers showed South America, but didn't give much context so you would think it might also be the Middle East.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I really love the design of the sniper chick. Cool looking character. I do wonder what's up with her codename Quiet though and the "deprived of her words" stuff. She obviously can't be mute because why torture/interrogate her haha.

Fehyd

Banned
In MGS4, IIRC, Kojima only showed everything around ACT1 of the game...

And I was blown away after playing the game.

For all we know, you could play as Big Boss for the first portion of the game, then jump into the shoes of a young Green Beret some 10 years later.

TheIconizer

Neo Member
I know one thing. I always loved the series since I met it. I know I only did it with 3, but still since then I have completed 3 multiple times along with 2 and 4 was really a game I loved, so I know I can count on this to a quality game.

I really love the design of the sniper chick. Cool looking character. I do wonder what's up with her codename Quiet though and the "deprived of her words" stuff. She obviously can't be mute because why torture/interrogate her haha.

she probably became mute after the torture.

jett

D-Member
They play buddies in the latest Transformers game.

No face markers? I thought we were going full on performance capture this time?

Kojima said they're capturing face and body separately with this game. Kind of dumb to be honest in this day and age.

Ghazi

Guys those pictures are fake, Kojima doesn't have his arm around her waist. Jeez I can't believe you guys fell for them lmao.

arotator

Neo Member
Have there been any comparison shots between current and next gen versions? I would almost buy a next gen console just for this game, but I think my PS3 will be my last console.

RK9039

Have there been any comparison shots between current and next gen versions? I would almost buy a next gen console just for this game, but I think my PS3 will be my last console.

No, not yet. We don't know what the next gen versions look like yet.

Ghazi

No, not yet. We don't know what the next gen versions look like yet.

Isn't the footage we've been shown so far on PC with specs configured to next gen specs? Because the 360 and PS3 versions sure as hell aren't going to look that nice.

RK9039

Isn't the footage we've been shown so far on PC with specs configured to next gen specs? Because the 360 and PS3 versions sure as hell aren't going to look that nice.

No, they said it was configured to represent the PS3/360 versions. It probably won't look like that on the current gen, but that's what they claimed.

ed: If you watch the trailer again and look at the screenshots there's hardly any tessellation and looks a bit rough around the edges.

BigBoss

No, they said it was configured to represent the PS3/360 versions. It probably won't look like that on the current gen, but that's what they claimed.

I don't believe that for a second, I'll eat Kojima's spiderman underwear if the PS3/360 versions of MGS5 end looking as good as the latest trailer.

RK9039

it's hard to stay mad at kojima for helping to start the whole cinematic games garbage when he comes out and shows how he's like the only person to do anything remotely interesting with it. it may sound stupid but that little car ride with skull face and the joan baez song from the ground zeroes reveal is legit one of the best cutscenes i've seen in a game. it's just some guys riding in a jeep to a helicopter but it still manages to be compelling and stylish because of the "camera" work, the musical choices, the lighting, etc... david cage makes entire games that are just cutscenes and yet neither he or anyone on his team doesn't seem to have even the slightest grasp of what visual language is whatsoever so everything they make looks like a bland turd.

and the open world gameplay looks stunning. like the evolution of far cry 2. oh man i'm just hoping there's tons of ways to get into each of the bases.

Ichinii

it's hard to stay mad at kojima for helping to start the whole cinematic games garbage when he comes out and shows how he's like the only person to do anything remotely interesting with it. it may sound stupid but that little car ride with skull face and the joan baez song from the ground zeroes reveal is legit one of the best cutscenes i've seen in a game. it's just some guys riding in a jeep to a helicopter but it still manages to be compelling and stylish because of the "camera" work, the musical choices, the lighting, etc... david cage makes entire games that are just cutscenes and yet neither he or anyone on his team doesn't seem to have even the slightest grasp of what visual language is whatsoever so everything they make looks like a bland turd.

and the open world gameplay looks stunning. like the evolution of far cry 2. oh man i'm just hoping there's tons of ways to get into each of the bases.

This.

Never perceived the cinematic direction of MGS as a bad thing, with the second chapter in MGS4 being the exception, and even then it was a feast for the eyes. However I won't deny that I'm a huge fan of the series. With this entry Kojima seems to be giving people the best of both worlds. Frankly I've never been more optimistic about MGS than now.

Xpliskin

Is there a PSN /XLive store direct-feed version available ?

The FFXV one is insanely high-quality, only this quality would do this trailer justice.

Izick

Is there a PSN /XLive store direct-feed version available ?

The FFXV one is insanely high-quality, only this quality would do this trailer justice.

I wish. I remember when there used to be trailers all over XBL (I bought a PS3 a few years ago, so I can't say how things have changed on PSN) but now it's all streaming unfortunately.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
All the new characters look like exactly what we want. SKULL FACE.

Skully is the shit. Please let this be one of the best MGS boss battles ever.

I fully expect (as every big boss battle) he will take off his shirt and show his real power.

NYR94

At least it looks like the bosses in this game will be human again. The question is how much personality will they have to flesh them out. Skull Face looks like he has some character. I don't know about those other guys though. It sucks when a boss jumps out with no character development just to get killed.

Top Bottom