• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The meltdown is here. Time to abort.
No one's having a meltdown.

Yet
giphy.gif

213372bu

Banned
What did Greg say? Did he say that not loving GZ does not mean you won't like this game? Because I was hoping maybe Ground Zeroes wasn't the best representation of the full game.

It is honestly best you watch it yourself, as his way of explaining it is really in-depth and discusses lots of particular points that click, but in general:

1. Greg felt that GZ was a shoebox. He says TPP gets rid of this completely. Each segment for infiltration is a "concept". You are given a scenario with many "real" points of entry with many valid ways to approach it. This MG does a great job of making the concepts of GZ something totally different in this way. He goes more in-depth on this in the video.

2. The game felt like it "was with you" no matter the decisions you make. No longer is the game like GZ in this regard, according to him. Stealth is still recc. for that easier S rank, but with the addition of 'bonus conditions' you can still get that S in lethal mode. This stops the game from being repetitive. No longer will you feel like you have to get that tranq the whole way through in order to "win". Lethal options are very valid means of winning the mission, and using lethal weapons and paths are some times necessary in order to do a mission without getting frustrated. And once again, the game doesn't make you feel guilty or that you lost by choosing a lethal way, though it does not give you as many points as possible.

3. There are mechanics in the game that you can potentially get to in 20-25 hours of playing the game. All these new mechanics are steadily introduced in the game and will keep you entertained.

4. Besides playing missions over for the "s" rank, which you might be doing later on in the game, there are still well over 100 side ops that are all their own thing.

5. Re-iterated that weapon customization really makes the game a lot more fun.

6. Though there is two large maps, don't worry. There are still variety in that open world including some pretty interesting infrastructures.
etc.

I really liked his points. It takes watching the whole video to just understand where he is coming from.

Every new game is one step closer to make open world gaming work with narrative, what they didn't tell us is that games were so far away from the finish line.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Every new game is one step closer to make open world gaming work with narrative, what they didn't tell us is that games were so far away from the finish line.
Plenty of open world games have good stories. Or at least have good pacing.

Greg Miller saying that he didn't like Ground Zeroes because it felt like getting "dropped into a shoebox" but then saying he loves TPP is very reassuring for me. I always felt like the GZ map was weirdly claustrophobic and I couldn't actually do much or move around much. Very glad to hear TPP is not like that and is super open. Exciting!

It is honestly best you watch it yourself, as his way of explaining it is really in-depth and discusses lots of particular points that click, but in general.

1. Greg felt that GZ was a shoebox. He says TPP gets rid of this completely. Each segment for infiltration is a "concept". You are given a scenario with many "real" points of entry with many valid ways to approach it. This MG does a great job of making the concepts of GZ something totally different in this way. He goes more in-depth on this in the video.

2. The game felt like it "was with you" no matter the decisions you make. No longer is the game like GZ in this regard, according to him. Stealth is still recc. for that easier S rank, but with the addition of 'bonus conditions' you can still get that S in lethal mode. This stops the game from being repetitive. No longer will you feel like you have to get that tranq the whole way through in order to "win". Lethal options are very valid means of winning the mission, and using lethal weapons and paths are some times necessary in order to do a mission without getting frustrated. And once again, the game doesn't make you feel guilty or that you lost by choosing a lethal way, though it does not give you as many points as possible.

3. There are mechanics in the game that you can potentially get to in 20-25 hours of playing the game. All these new mechanics are steadily introduced in the game and will keep you entertained.

4. Besides playing missions over for the "s" rank, which you might be doing later on in the game, there are still well over 100 side ops that are all their own thing.

5. Re-iterated that weapon customization really makes the game a lot more fun.

6. Though there is two large maps, don't worry. There are still variety in that open world including some pretty interesting infrastructures.
etc.

I really liked his points. It takes watching the whole video to just understand where he is coming from.

Thanks for the summary. Am definitely considering picking the game up despite having never played Metal Gear before and not being crazy about GZ. Part of the reason I wasn't crazy about it was it felt like just one mission, at night, with no real interesting context. And I just didn't find it particularly entertaining.

Sami+

I don't have a preference, I just like cinematic presentation and pacing. Shadow of the Colossus was "open world" but it had the cinematic flair I like in most of my favorite games. MGS4 was linear but then I also don't think I've hated a game more than I do that one, so. Eh.

Peace Walker was ok I guess? So grindy and the story was trash. I never got past the first boss because I thought going back and grinding for better gear was fucking stupid. There are certain from that game that work I guess but if that's what's being carried over to this then uuuugggghhhhhhhh...

I loved GZ so my feelings here are really mixed.

Microtransactions aren't available for reviewers

Well unless the patch the game to make things worse, we will play the same game they played meaning none of it is an issue. Just cause it's there doesn't mean you have to pay any attention to it.

But yes there is a small possibility Konami patches the game to make it worse... Until that actually happens the game seems fine. And it was designed to be without bad timers or grinding.

Oh lord just give it to me already....

Bought the PC version and PS4 version.... hahaha........ so close!

Don't worry, I don't understand why either..... but still can't wait! :)

kaskade

Greg Miller saying that he didn't like Ground Zeroes because it felt like getting "dropped into a shoebox" but then saying he loves TPP is very reassuring for me. I always felt like the GZ map was weirdly claustrophobic and I couldn't actually do much or move around much. Very glad to hear TPP is not like that and is super open. Exciting!

Agreed, I really enjoyed GZ but I did feel like it was really easy to get caught. I'm sure some missions are like that but he said that's as not as much of an issue.

If you're excited to play it, don't let me put a damper on it for you. I like a certain style of game, and I tend to be harsh with my favourite franchises. Let your hype carry you whereever it may. Just like I don't like it, there are plenty of positive reviews for it. How you feel you'll only know when you play it. I disliked MGS4 immensely too and a lot of people like that.

I'm also getting very irritated with open world games in general now, so having MGS go that route kind of sucked.
damn man, I think I'm going to feel the same. Reason I love MGS games is definitely for the story, crazy/funny/weird codec conversations and overall epic boss battles and cinematography. I knew Kojima wanted to go open world since the moment he start praising GTA all the time. Still I thought this would be a very epic conclusion to the franchise with all the characters here. I mean story wise we kinda know what's going to happen, so was hoping for the most epic scenes and boss battles of the series, not just endless replayability.

Thank god.

As someone who prefers linear story focused games to open world stuff, I'm a bit disappointed but the game looks so good in every respect I imagine I will forget about it once I start playing

robotrock

Banned

Yup. That's awesome to hear.

VinFTW

As someone who prefers linear story focused games to open world stuff, I'm a bit disappointed but the game looks so good I'm every respect I imagine I will forget about it once I start playing

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed there's a lesser emphasis on story this time. Story in MG games have always been some of my favorite parts.

Regardless, my excitement has never been higher. Bring it on.

Damn glad they replaced the codecs for the tapes to be quite honest. Had my fill of them for a lifetime. Drebin's codecs in MGS4 were the drops of water that made the vase overflow. At least now we can play and listen simultaneously to rambling that goes on forever.

As far as cinematics not being as long as in the others or having as much, I don't really mind either. Whole thing just reminded me of how much I sometimes wished in the middle of them that they would just finish already so that I could play the damn thing. Some of them went on forever.

dammit, I cancelled my e3 preorder because my backlog is huge, but these reviews have made me so hyped for this game, don't know what to do

I heard them mention microtransactions in the gametrailers review,and they said they weren't allowed to see what those were yet.
Ugh

Quiet's costume design REALLY bothers me as wel, why did they have to dress that character up like some kind of sex doll.

Not too worried about the low story aspect, mgs4 was complete gibberish and nonsense and I won't miss having to sit through hours of that shit. It does sucks that there's not as many random codec convos though, that was one of the best parts of MGS3 the banter and comments on your actions while you were playing was great.

I'm curious how good the encounter and mission design will be when it's all open world. I liked the puzzle/sandbox mixed design of the older MGS games a lot, every area was a puzzle and you could tell they put a lot of thought in how they designed the rooms/areas and where enemies were placed etc, and they gave you enough options and mechanics to give your own twist to solving it. I already didn't like mgs4 as much because it didn't feel up to par in encounter design.

I also hope they do open world properly and that it's not some AC style shit where you need to go to vantage points to unlock more camps or where every camp is nothing but a poorly thought out chore.

The whole kidnapping enemies with the weather balloon is weird to me too, a big part of MGS games was always in hiding and moving the bodies/sleeping guards, this seems to just skip that.

Lynx_7

No.

The pacing is very off. It's not really story focused like that.

Well, that's open world alright. Exactly what I was fearing.
I kinda hoped Kojima would have made some more story-focused segments. Maybe even some story exclusive locations - outside of the two main areas - that were more similar to something like Shadow Moses or Big Shell, and had pacing and setpieces more in line with what you would expect from previous games.

Still very excited for this game, though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Didn't early previews say there were more than Afghanistan and Africa in terms of 'big' available maps?

Could have sworn I remember reading this, but I'm apparently remembering incorrectly.

Tuck

Watched the GT review.

Two things concern me: Two maps (Admittedly two LARGE maps) = lack of variety. And second, apparently the game lacks closure?

Well either way, looks like the reviews are positive. And its Metal Gear so its almost a guarantee I'll love it. September 1 can't come fast enough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A Metal Gear game where kitchy cutscenes are more like rewarding bookends to long stretches of great gameplay rather that lengthy interruptions every time I walk five meters *drools*

I just read the IGN review, and well- In their damming conclusion about the story;

However, where Phantom Pain’s gameplay systems are far richer and meatier than any the series has ever seen, its story feels insubstantial and woefully underdeveloped by comparison. It opens confidently, with Director Hideo Kojima ready to fully embrace the techno-fantasy, live-action military anime identity that Metal Gear has been courting for the better part of two decades. This spectacular opening establishes a mood and a bundle of plot-related questions that are more or less abandoned until the time comes, some 30-60 hours later (depending on which answers you’re seeking and how you play). Generally those answers are rushed and unsatisfying, lacking any real build-up or thematic relevance.

This is doubly disappointing in a series known for (sometimes clumsily and exhaustively) exploring its subject matter. The opposite is true here though. The Phantom Pain brings up topics like the personal cost of revenge, child soldiers, and torture to name a few, but it has positively nothing to say about any of them other than that they exist. Thankfully though, it never wasted my time pretending to say more, as cut scenes were sparse and brief, so as to let me get back to playing. As nice as that might be though, I’d rather have the “problem” that Guns of the Patriots had, where there were “too many” awesome moments and plot twists.

The Polygon, Gamespot and Gametrailers reviews all heavily emphasis that these audiotapes are important. I wonder if it possible that the IGN reviewer skipped on some / quite a few of these, and lost some of it?

The Gametrailers review commented on that they thought it was weird that the story was told this way, but later reflected on it saying that it made sense.

For those of us who liked MGS-Long ass cinematics, it seems it would be best to listen to every audiotape in detail. And in my case, put on subtitles so I don't miss anything.

All reviews I've read however talk of pacing issues, and that this feels like a new beginning for MGS. They all say, that the game stumbles on some of the subject matters- The writing can't support what it wants to say about child soldiers, diamond trade and so on. Fair enough. I'm glad I know this, before digging in.

But you know what's most amazing about the whole thing? Most of these reviews say it's undoubtedly the best Metal Gear thanks to its gameplay. That's worth something. And it's not like MG has never polarized people.

I don't understand why so many of you think so highly of MGS2. It's by far the weakest of the series.

1. MGS3
2. MGS4
3. MGS1
4. MGS2

I'll be happy if TPP pleases me more than MGS2 - A game which also got repetitive just running around big shell (and the short while on the tanker).

Top Bottom