• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain vs. Spider-Man

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Metal Gear V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 205 53.1%
  • Spider-Man

Votes: 181 46.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

uqpMi3l.jpg

Hard choice, I'd give MGSV the gameplay edge, but it doesn't win by a lot, Spiderman has great gameplay. On the other end Spiderman has the edge in terms of story and it isn't even close. Overall I'll give the win to Spiderman.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I like both games but eventually voted for Spiderman

As amazing it is ( the gameplay in MGSV) the game is simply unfinished due to the konami vs kojima conflict, which is very unfortunate for everyone

Last edited:

Roufianos

Well I don't expect it to stay ahead, but it's encouraging to see MGSV take the early lead.

A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

I don't love either of these games, they're both mechanically excellent but suffer from boring, by the numbers open world mission design. I'll give it to MGSV even though it's my most disappointing game of all time.

Last edited:

Keihart

I don't even like MGSV out of all the MGS games, but i still would give it the edge over spiderman just because how much it tried to do, even if it kinda falls apart at the end.

Reactions: Gp1
How is MGSV leading? Sure, Spider-Man was a bit generic and it lacked certain heights and was an overall safe game, but it's definitely more deserving than MGSV, which was an utter wreck.

Eimran

Despite being an incomplete game, Metal Gear Solid will always be my number 1 franchise. Spiderman was great nonetheless. Truly a worthy successor to the PS2 version.

Last edited:

DogofWar

MGSV of course.
Yes, it was not a perfect game but it had some truly amazing plot moments that only an MGS game can have.

The futility of revenge.
THAT mission, you know which one I am talking about, where I actually felt physically ill afterwards and had to take a break. "We'll make diamonds of their ashes, take them into battle with us. A shining light to our brothers in arms. Even in death."

And that final ending scene were you listen to a certain tape is according to me a brilliant ending to the saga. Because Big Boss and my story are indeed intertwined forever, he was a legend thanks to Metal Gear Solid (and the original Metal Gear games ofc) even before MGS3 came out but has since then been a huge part of my life. A true fourth wall breaking ending that really made me think and feel. The fact that I had made "my avatar" as similiar to me as possible in the beginning of the game helped a lot.

Soulja

If Kojima had gotten a little more time to finish the story properly mgs5 could of been one of the best games ever made. The gameplay itself was amazing. It was so smooth and just felt pretty much perfect but the unfinished story left it down slightly.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The metal gear series is in a lot of trouble while super hero games like spider-man continue to hammer away at sales.

Oddspeak

Spider-Man gets some points because, well, it's an actual finished game, and it is indeed fun...

But MGSV... despite any of its story-related flaws, is the MGS gameplay formula expanded the right amount and perfected. The open world felt a little unnecessary, as it was largely empty outside of enemy bases, but the combat, the loadout depth, the many ways of approaching those bases -- it was amazing. I put 70 hours into that game over five days, it owned my life. Best gameplay in the whole MGS franchise.

gypsygib

MGSV felt very unfinished to me in the story department.

The gameplay was great but it was the only MGS that I never felt the urge to play multiple times. The story was kinda crap...or at least the last half. MGS was/is my favourite game series but MGSV was in many ways a disappointment to me.

I had no complaints about Spiderman.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Damn this is going to be a hard one. Metal Gear Solid V is easily one of the greatest stealth games ever created, I don't know if I'll ever really play a stealth game again on the level of Metal Gear Solid V, but the story (or massive lack of one) is an issue. I can't really put MGSV above Spiderman simply based on Spiderman very much is a complete title in regards to having a solid story, solid gameplay and of great quality.

If Metal Gear Solid V's story could be done based on what Kojima wanted vs Konami, I think ultimately V's story would have been just as good as the other MGS titles, but it feels like Konami doesn't really want to really have a game where you play the "bad guy" and it seems like Kojima had to write around a publisher that simply wants some of theses characters almost flawless. So if we simply got a story about Big Boss starting Outer Haven and Sons of Big Boss being born at the ending etc, I don't think many would be so upset, it simply feels like a Metal Gear Solid game in gameplay only and the story is like....."other" lol.

Its in my top 5 favorite games this generation, but if I have to go part by part, element by element, I can't really put MGSV above Spiderman, as I liked all elements of Spiderman, I simply can't say the same for Metal Gear Solid V.

Top Bottom